The most overly disliked players (1 Viewer)

Terry_dactyl

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Les Sealey yet. He wasn't very popular when he was our player, especially towards the end of his time here, after a few 'incidents'. Then, after badmouthing the club on his departure, he returned with Luton and was doing cartwheels in front of the West End after Luton won 1-0. Then Sealey returned for a short loan spell and was roundly booed as he took the field and every time he touched the ball. How desperate we must have been!

His return on loan was great! Can’t remember who I saw him play against but he played the role of pantomime villain perfectly. Waving to the crowd after he redeemed himself by saving a one on one.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It always makes me laugh when people class themselves as ‘supporters’ and declare players ‘utter shite’ and lambast them at every given opportunity. They’re our players.
I don’t particularly rate Burge or Haynes but I’m not going to shout bollocks at them during a game and make them feel shit as I’m not a Neanderthal. I understand being critical of players who have made mistakes as Haynes and Burge have done, but some ‘fans’ on this forum and in that soulless bowl are an absolute joke, and on Monday they made me feel ashamed to be a city fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adge

If we're handing out a lifetime achievement award for being criticised by fans, then it has to go to Telfer. He had years of stick dished out to him. And in all fairness to the fans, he wasn't very good, was he? He was a trier though, but he didn't have bags of ability. Not his fault though, more the fault of Strachan for having his as one of his favourites and refusing to ever drop him (see also: Paul Williams). I seem to remember Telfer getting some stick because he said in an interview that he didn't like football. I remember a fan telling Rob Gurney, 'How can Telfer expect to be able to mark Giggs if he doesn't even watch football?'
And that is why I said it! If you are doing your homework on the opposition and are not one bit interested in or watch football, how the hell can you prepare properly.
I mentioned that to Gordon Strachan recently about Telfer and he said it wasn’t about his footballing ability (we can vouch for that!) but was more about being a team mate rather than anything else.

letsallsingtogether

He doesn’t deserve to still get paid
In your opinion then again we all know what you think of the human race as a whole.
Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if it was filled with perfect specimens like you.:(

AlansEyes

And that is why I said it! If you are doing your homework on the opposition and are not one bit interested in or watch football, how the hell can you prepare properly.
I mentioned that to Gordon Strachan recently about Telfer and he said it wasn’t about his footballing ability (we can vouch for that!) but was more about being a team mate rather than anything else.
Then could he not have just been the person in the Sky Blue Sam costume instead of occupying a place in our midfield for years!

Reppz

I cannot understand the abuse Haynes gets. I've been saying for ages that, technically, he's one of the best players we have, second only perhaps to Bayliss. He just lacks confidence sometimes. To single him out for his performance on Monday, or blaming him for any goals, is laughable.

McNulty was absolutely shite, yet I haven't seen one person mention his performance on Monday yet. It was unbelievably pathetic.

Anyone who disagrees I am more than happy to meet for a fight.

Legia Sky Blue

Telfer, first season aside, was always unfairly castigated by our fans.

Much under appreciated and I've said before (not that it would have ultimately mattered), his injury at Villa Park the day we got relegated changed the game.
I remember that first season Telfer signed & he started well in the first couple of games, and I seem to remember after we beat Man City when Isaias played a blinder, Blackburn made an offer of something daft like £3.5m, which would have given us an immediate big profit. We rejected it though & the rest is history!

As for that game at Villa, Telfer going off injured was just a coincidence in regard to the eventual outcome. What turned that game was news coming through from Old Trafford that Fergie was doing an old pals act with Jim Smith & letting Derby have it easy against them. When the news that Derby took the lead came through it immediately quietened our fans, who up to that point were buoyant at 2-0 up & raised the Villa fans noise, which fed through to the players who quickly realised it didn't matter whether we won or not & who then lost heart. I still believe to this day that if Man U had beaten Derby as they should have, that we would have held on and beaten Villa that day.

Legia Sky Blue

His return on loan was great! Can’t remember who I saw him play against but he played the role of pantomime villain perfectly. Waving to the crowd after he redeemed himself by saving a one on one.

I remember this - got a feeling we drew 0-0 with Arsenal.

With regard to his previous career with us I don't remember the fans turning on him until his last game he played where we were playing his club, West Ham, and after letting in a soft goal in front of the West End he reacted to the abuse by boasting about leaving in the summer & indicating he had purposely let in the goal. I suspect now that he simply made a goalie mistake & then made a prat of himself by trying to be cocky about it afterwards. By doing so though he ensured that he was a target for constant abuse whenever we played Luton after that.

oscillatewildly

I remember this - got a feeling we drew 0-0 with Arsenal.

With regard to his previous career with us I don't remember the fans turning on him until his last game he played where we were playing his club, West Ham, and after letting in a soft goal in front of the West End he reacted to the abuse by boasting about leaving in the summer & indicating he had purposely let in the goal. I suspect now that he simply made a goalie mistake & then made a prat of himself by trying to be cocky about it afterwards. By doing so though he ensured that he was a target for constant abuse whenever we played Luton after that.
Bit of a theme with Sealey and letting in soft goals at the west end and against WHUFC.

Grendel

I cannot understand the abuse Haynes gets. I've been saying for ages that, technically, he's one of the best players we have, second only perhaps to Bayliss. He just lacks confidence sometimes. To single him out for his performance on Monday, or blaming him for any goals, is laughable.

McNulty was absolutely shite, yet I haven't seen one person mention his performance on Monday yet. It was unbelievably pathetic.

Anyone who disagrees I am more than happy to meet for a fight.

What does technically one of the best players mean and how does that manifest intself on the pitch?

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
I think for me they are professional footballers lets not forget its their job to play football and fans pay their wages, it just seems to me in match threads fans are picking out the same people it says something but when your supposed to be a pro you shouldnt be making that many mistakes ie burge dropping ball or costing us goals in games. if it happens very odd time fine from what im reading in game threads seems be same names pop up being criticized for their performance just imo.

id never go personal about a player i just feel if they make these mistakes and are a pro why not cut them out and improve thats most frustrating thing for me.

Brighton Sky Blue

It always makes me laugh when people class themselves as ‘supporters’ and declare players ‘utter shite’ and lambast them at every given opportunity. They’re our players.
I don’t particularly rate Burge or Haynes but I’m not going to shout bollocks at them during a game and make them feel shit as I’m not a Neanderthal. I understand being critical of players who have made mistakes as Haynes and Burge have done, but some ‘fans’ on this forum and in that soulless bowl are an absolute joke, and on Monday they made me feel ashamed to be a city fan

At least they paid and turned up. Just as I'm sure none of our players turn up intending to put in a bad performance I don't know any of us who go to these games wanting anything other than for us to win. There comes to a point though where the level of performance goes through the floor and they deserved to be booed off on Monday. Going further with the personal insults no, but the worst result certainly in my living memory deserves something from the stands.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

At least they paid and turned up. Just as I'm sure none of our players turn up intending to put in a bad performance I don't know any of us who go to these games wanting anything other than for us to win. There comes to a point though where the level of performance goes through the floor and they deserved to be booed off on Monday. Going further with the personal insults no, but the worst result certainly in my living memory deserves something from the stands.

I can understand possibly booing someone off as a show of displeasure at a performance given you’ve paid. But 15 minutes into the game Burge was ironically cheered & Vincenti was cheered when he went off, he’d finally hit form for us and that was our show of faith. I’m not saying it’s all by any means, I understand a show of frustration, but there are limits and many (although still a small percentage) created the least enjoyable atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of

Brighton Sky Blue

I can understand possibly booing someone off as a show of displeasure at a performance given you’ve paid. But 15 minutes into the game Burge was ironically cheered & Vincenti was cheered when he went off, he’d finally hit form for us and that was our show of faith. I’m not saying it’s all by any means, I understand a show of frustration, but there are limits and many (although still a small percentage) created the least enjoyable atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of

Which is fair enough.

Nonleagueherewecome

David Smith gets my vote for reasons discussed here, and illustrated in the video therein: David Smith-What Went Wrong?

Maybe with Smith it was the frustration at not fulfilling potential?

Quite a lot in the "shit players" thread could get a mention. Paul Edwards was mostly crap, but he had a blinder against Liverpool in one game and was MOM on radio and, where it really counts, in Match Magazine, which gave him a 9. Julian Darby likewise, but he DID score a brace against Blackburn, I think when they were reigning champions? I think McSheffrey deserves a mention as he was massively loathed by some in his second spell and booed constantly by a couple of guys in our row, but me and the people I went with thought that he was actually pretty good in the first season-8 goals in 33 league appearances, not bad from midfield. And Peter Billing was a brute of an ugly old school centre-half, but a bit of a cult figure and had some good games when he got a chance. I suppose Rennie came into the same bracket-he was crap, we knew it, he knew it, but he actually went on a really good run of form when he moved to centre back-he could read the game quite well!

Nonleagueherewecome

Of course it is funny to see so many players remembered as "crap" when they did play for us in the top flight, but equally it is hard to imagine John Gayle or Wayne Turner at the very peak of their powers being any cop even in our current division....

Nonleagueherewecome

He played really well from what I remember and won the fans over a bit! Good on him, one of the game's characters.

Bumberclart

Didnt someone run on the pitch at an away game and try to throttle Hedman? Preston it could of been.:wideyed:
To be fair Hedman deserved throttling that day. Every kick had gone straight out of play. Late in the second half I think we were 3 or 4 down,he kicked another out of play and the crowd gave him hell. He turned round and laughed at our reaction. At that point the guy in question lost his shit and marched on to the pitch and confronted Hedman.

jimmyhillsfanclub

To be fair Hedman deserved throttling that day. Every kick had gone straight out of play. Late in the second half I think we were 3 or 4 down,he kicked another out of play and the crowd gave him hell. He turned round and laughed at our reaction. At that point the guy in question lost his shit and marched on to the pitch and confronted Hedman.

...remember it well......I loved how his enthusiasm for the fight evaporated as he suddenly realized that Hedman was a 6'2" 14 stone prime athlete & mr. angry was just a chubby drunk.....

Think I've been to PNE 10 times & never seen us win......so that is one of my highlights from deepdale.

Adge

...remember it well......I loved how his enthusiasm for the fight evaporated as he suddenly realized that Hedman was a 6'2" 14 stone prime athlete & mr. angry was just a chubby drunk.....

Think I've been to PNE 10 times & never seen us win......so that is one of my highlights from deepdale.
Hedman crapped himself-then gave it the large when 4 stewards wrestled the guy to the ground! Hilarious. :emoji_grimacing:

clint van damme

My take on this thread is that we have so many fans who are complete bell ends and aren't happy unless they're singling out a player for stick.
No offence!

fernandopartridge

David Smith gets my vote for reasons discussed here, and illustrated in the video therein: David Smith-What Went Wrong?

Maybe with Smith it was the frustration at not fulfilling potential?

Quite a lot in the "shit players" thread could get a mention. Paul Edwards was mostly crap, but he had a blinder against Liverpool in one game and was MOM on radio and, where it really counts, in Match Magazine, which gave him a 9. Julian Darby likewise, but he DID score a brace against Blackburn, I think when they were reigning champions? I think McSheffrey deserves a mention as he was massively loathed by some in his second spell and booed constantly by a couple of guys in our row, but me and the people I went with thought that he was actually pretty good in the first season-8 goals in 33 league appearances, not bad from midfield. And Peter Billing was a brute of an ugly old school centre-half, but a bit of a cult figure and had some good games when he got a chance. I suppose Rennie came into the same bracket-he was crap, we knew it, he knew it, but he actually went on a really good run of form when he moved to centre back-he could read the game quite well!
Blackburn weren't champions, they were going for the title though.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Craig Bellamy had the best idea: he cried off sick as soon as the going got tough because he was bigger than CCFC and then told the TV cameras we were a joke of a club once he'd been sold, and he managed to avoid the boo boys he truly deserved . Always hated him for that. He may have done lots of charity work since then blah blah but makes no difference to my bitter and twisted take on him.

Users who are viewing this thread