The most overly disliked players (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Coventry fans love to dislike and criticise a player more than what they deserve. Some players seem to continuously get stick regardless of their performances.

Has there been two players who have constantly been slated to the extent of Lee Burge and Haynes despite not really deserving it?

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

I remember in the last season at Highfield Road we played Burnley. It was a shocking game, in which we were totally outclassed.

Stern John's performance was so bad, that when he got booked, a chant of "off! Off! Off!" echoed round the stands.

It was our own fans.

The good ol' days of Peter Reid, eh?

skybluepm2

Haynes doesn’t deserve the crticism? Perhaps you could tell me when his last good game was. Maybe it was against Luton when he pulled out the fancy flick, (the only time he’s beaten a man all season)... oh no that’s right he gave away their second goal, followed up by gifting Crewe a goal and was horribly out of place for the second on Tuesday.

Players who consistently under perform are brought to task and rightfully analysed. Hyam, McDonald, Doyle, Grimmer, all of which I’ve had nothing but praise for all season, were utter garbage on Monday. If they played in the same manner every week, they would deserve the same level of flak!

Ash

I remember in the last season at Highfield Road we played Burnley. It was a shocking game, in which we were totally outclassed.

Stern John's performance was so bad, that when he got booked, a chant of "off! Off! Off!" echoed round the stands.

It was our own fans.

The good ol' days of Peter Reid, eh?

Remember this game, their 2nd was basically a pass from 25 yards out that rolled through our entire team and went in. Probably the most pathetic thing I’ve ever witnessed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterNdlovu14

Remember this game, their 2nd was basically a pass from 25 yards out that rolled through our entire team and went in. Probably the most pathetic thing I’ve ever witnessed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This same game also featured a moment two Burnley players went off to be treated for injury so were down to 9. We had a corner and Graham Barrett crossed it straight out!

pusbccfc

Haynes doesn’t deserve the crticism? Perhaps you could tell me when his last good game was. Maybe it was against Luton when he pulled out the fancy flick, (the only time he’s beaten a man all season)... oh no that’s right he gave away their second goal, followed up by gifting Crewe a goal and was horribly out of place for the second on Tuesday.

Players who consistently under perform are brought to task and rightfully analysed. Hyam, McDonald, Doyle, Grimmer, all of which I’ve had nothing but praise for all season, were utter garbage on Monday. If they played in the same manner every week, they would deserve the same level of flak!

Haynes doesn't deserve to be scapegoated every week.

JulianDarbyFTW

Those of us who were there during the days of Hadji and Dublin and Keane (and those of the generation before) struggle to acknowledge that D4 players will be inconsistent and generally dog dirt in comparison. Burge and Haynes are actually decent at this level, but are pretty poor compared to players from the past. The problem seems to be that we expect to roll over these 'piss poor teams' without acknowledging that every other week we're one of them.

skybluepm2

Haynes doesn't deserve to be scapegoated every week.

When he has a good game, no. Who knows, he may well do before the end of the season but I’d be mightily surprised if Stokes wasn’t back in that left back berth come Saturday. Along with Vincenti, Haynes would be the first I’d get off the wage bill.

skybluepm2

When he or Burge have good games, people still moan at them. That's what I'm trying to say.

I regularly slate both but Burge has been the hero on several occasions this term and rightly applauded, as i did at Newport.... then the tit goes and drops an almighty clanger in the next game. The man doesn’t help himself. If we stay in League 2, I’m fairly certain Robins will keep him as a number 1 but if we go up then he has to move to understudy. He can’t carry on with that nonsense a league above.

For me, Haynes has no way back. We’ve been waiting for him to come of age for years. Needs to go.

covcity4life

Coventry fans love to dislike and criticise a player more than what they deserve. Some players seem to continuously get stick regardless of their performances.

Has there been two players who have constantly been slated to the extent of Lee Burge and Haynes despite not really deserving it?
those two do deserve it though

as did jordan clarke

those that dont? well IN MY OPINION

biamou
bueazilem
ryan kent
nazon
jordan murphy
bigi
stern john(called lazy alot)
kyle(was he really THAT bad? i cant remember tbf)

Mcbean

Keith O Neil deserved a lot of stick at least the Yak got on for 10 -20 seconds before he was injured

clint van damme

I used to think a lot of the stick Stern John received was unjustified especially when Andy Morrell was hero worshipped just for chasing lost causes.

he had a very languid style and those sort of players usually get stick off the city support who like to see people running around like maniacs even if they're not actually achieving much.

superskyblue

John Fleck, Gary McAllister, Colin Cameron & Stephen Hughes all spring to mind. Nobody likes a ball playing CM it seems.

Nick

Administrator
I wouldn't say any at the minute are overly disliked, I barely see any personal insults or anything crossing the line. Most of it is solely on performances and football.

rob9872

Slating them on here or social media, as long as it doesn't get personal is fine. I'm a big supporter of Burge and have been on here too, so I say that without any bias.

Where it crosses the line for me is the abuse at games. I simply don't understand the mentality of thinking cheering Burge catching a cross or Haynes directing a pass out of play will help the team in any shape or form. Part of the issue could even be confidence and perhaps the manager should protect them by selecting different options, but for the 90 minutes they're out there how people think anything other than supporting them would be of any benefit. It's also likely to p*ss off their teammates who are likely to be friends as well and think why should we bother.

The one that really got to me was Murphy. I think if I hadn't had my daughter with me at times then I could easily have got into scrapes with some of the abuse and bile spouted at him for not tracking back by people around me who clearly didn't understand the game.

Sure it can be frustrating at times, but it's mostly moronic and senseless.

Nick

Administrator
Slating them on here or social media, as long as it doesn't get personal is fine. I'm a big supporter of Burge and have been on here too, so I say that without any bias.

Where it crosses the line for me is the abuse at games. I simply don't understand the mentality of thinking cheering Burge catching a cross or Haynes directing a pass out of play will help the team in any shape or form. Part of the issue could even be confidence and perhaps the manager should protect them by selecting different options, but for the 90 minutes they're out there how people think anything other than supporting them would be of any benefit. It's also likely to p*ss off their teammates who are likely to be friends as well and think why should we bother.

The one that really got to me was Murphy. I think if I hadn't had my daughter with me at times then I could easily have got into scrapes with some of the abuse and bile spouted at him for not tracking back by people around me who clearly didn't understand the game.

Sure it can be frustrating at times, but it's mostly moronic and senseless.

Murphy used to annoy me because he had the ability so it made it worse. However the way some people would lose their absolute shit and run to the front and start shouting stuff was a bit random.

Few blokes I have heard this season who shout at Biamou, one of them was a cup game and Biamou was warming up and we were all in one stand. A guy at the front shouted "Biamoh you are fucking shit", Biamou looked round and the bloke shit himself and hid in his jacket.

Moaning and groaning if somebody misses a sitter is one thing, but being a dickhead is too much.

Paul Anthony

he had a very languid style and those sort of players usually get stick off the city support who like to see people running around like maniacs even if they're not actually achieving much.

Exactly the case. He often looked lazy or disinterested, but I don't think he was all that bad really. Just his style made it look that way.

Grendel

pastythegreat

Haynes wasn't out of position for their 2nd! It's clear how little you know about football. Would you rather have a flat back 4 the moved all in one, and the LB and RB stayed this side of the halfway line? Because that's what your suggesting. When we've got the ball you expect our WING backs to get forward and offer an outlet. When we had 3 defensive players behind the ball (Doyle, Hyam and McDonald), you don't expect one to give the ball away easily and the other 2 to double up on 1 player. The fact that your giving him any part of wrongdoing for that goal is laughable. I suppose he was at fault for the cross coming over that Burge dropped and at fault for Grimmers shit head back, how about the 5 and 6, must of been his fault as he wasn't even playing!

harvey098

I felt genuinely ashamed to hear people cheer when Vincenti was bought off on Monday. Equally when people ironically cheered when Burge claimed a cross. What good can come of that?! Do people think Burge might think "Oh yeah, the fans want me to catch crosses, ill do that next time" It just shatters confidence. We always treat players like shit then they leave us and go and achieve bigger and better things.

christonabike

Didnt someone run on the pitch at an away game and try to throttle Hedman? Preston it could of been.:wideyed:

Users who are viewing this thread