The holiday 2023 thread (3 Viewers)

Kneeza

Got a week in Lincolnshire in August, hopefully it coincides with 1st home game of the season. I'm also going to try & convince my wife that moving from Scotland to Lincolnshire is a great idea! 🤞
Ooh no. Don't do it!

Otis

Hard to find a nice place to move to isn't it.

My missus is looking at moving from Maidstone, but on a set budget.

So far we have discovered that for Otford, Swanley, West Malling, Lenham and Tunbridge Wells, we would need to be millionaires, but then find out that Sittingbourne is known as Shittingbourne, that Rainham is traditionally white and racist, that Gillingham is even worse than Rainham and that if we venture just slightly into Essex and Grays, all the street cats wear stab
-proof vests

🤷

ovduk78

So far we have discovered that for Otford, Swanley, West Malling, Lenham and Tunbridge Wells, we would need to be millionaires, but then find out that Sittingbourne is known as Shittingbourne, that Rainham is traditionally white and racist, that Gillingham is even worse than Rainham and that if we venture just slightly into Essex and Grays, all the street cats wear stab
-proof vests

🤷
I do want us to move south when our son's finished his education, could be June with a bit of luck. Our problem is we have a decent house with a large garden and won't be able to get anything like it for the same money. When I come down for games and go back to Rugby I know I don't want to live there again. So far I have looked at Staffordshire, Shropshire but I favour Lincolnshire as it is where I was born and it is still commutable for home games and seeing family. Problem is I have no idea how good any area will be beforehand.

Otis

I do want us to move south when our son's finished his education, could be June with a bit of luck. Our problem is we have a decent house with a large garden and won't be able to get anything like it for the same money. When I come down for games and go back to Rugby I know I don't want to live there again. So far I have looked at Staffordshire, Shropshire but I favour Lincolnshire as it is where I was born and it is still commutable for home games and seeing family. Problem is I have no idea how good any area will be beforehand.
Yup. Down south it's very tough and you either get somewhere with no parking or a very small garden.

My missus really wants to stay in Kent, even though she is originally from Coventry. She says all her relatives are down here, which I do understand, but then they have all fallen out with each other and don't ever speak. 😂

She hasn't seen her dad for years, nor her eldest sister. I do try and push on both, because they are both multi-millionires and I think that hating people under that circumstance, should be brushed aside for the greater good.

Kneeza

Slightly tongue in cheek.
However, I have lived there, and really don't see the attraction apart from Lincoln itself, and a few market towns (Louth in particular, Horncastle, maybe Spilsby and Market Rasen).
The Wolds are quite pretty, but much of the rest is naff.
However, if you're a working-class tory/ukip voter, who hates Eastern Europeans, but likes Nottingham people, bad food and worse pubs (on the coastal side at least), you might like it!

ovduk78

However, I have lived there, and really don't see the attraction apart from Lincoln itself, and a few market towns (Louth in particular, Horncastle, maybe Spilsby and Market Rasen).
However, if you're a working-class tory/ukip voter, who hates Eastern Europeans, but likes Nottingham people, bad food and worse pubs (on the coastal side at least), you might like it!
We are staying near Spilsby. As a working class labour voter who sees that there are benefits of immigration from Eastern Europe & other countries I may have some problems. Still preferable than being amongst nationalist English haters.

Flying Fokker

Nowt this year. Divorce has cost many thousands, so it's a summer of just staying at home.

Never been on a cruise, but would love to get one. Let us know how you get on, Daz. Would love to hear about it.
Cruises are great. Only been on one.

I went on several excursions But would not do that again. Either go ashore or stay on the ship. it is usually quiet. One idyllic beach trip was ‘invaded’ by people off 6 cruise ships. Hmm.

Kneeza

We are staying near Spilsby. As a working class labour voter who sees that there are benefits of immigration from Eastern Europe & other countries I may have some problems. Still preferable than being amongst nationalist English haters.
Near near? Is the Hundleby Inn (in Hundleby, just across the bypass) still going? Used to do a few decent real ciders and good grub (unusually for the area).

bezzer

A week in the New Forest in May. 5 days in Porto in June. A week in my caravan in Aberdovey in July and then 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic in September. Hope to have a week in the sun in November abw.

Astute

Two and a half hours north of Bordeaux and three hours from Spain? Lordy me, it took us about a week from Irun to Bordeaux. Ok, we stopped a fair few times, but I'm sure I couldn’t have done it in half an hour!
Highlights in France last year were - on the way down - Confolens (dragon's cousin lives near there so we spent a night on his drive then a couple more at the municipal campsite literally on the river bank. Lovely little town).
Then another site within a short walk of Carcassonne citadel and city. Both lovely).
On the way back up, some of the beaches between the border and Bordeaux, although the countryside is rather drab, flat forests.
Then east of Bordeaux in a France Passion Auberge surrounded by vineyards. She stocked up on excellent cheap wines, and I stocked up on the best grape juice I've ever tasted.
Perigeuex next. Probably my favourite French city. We then just bimbled up the coast and via Quimper (lovely. Three nights here) and back via Normandy inland for a couple of nights, then a coastal Aire at Hermanville on Sword beach, coincidentally on November 11th. They take Armistice Day very seriously there!
We love Confolens. It is where we wanted to live. But the right property just never came up. It was all about compromise in the end.

River bank on garden? No. But Gartempe and Vienne nearby.

Close to a town/village square? No. But 7 minutes away.

Ticked every other box.

We join in with Armistice day each year. Every local commune does their own thing. The whole country stops for the day.

Astute

Give me a shout when you're ready. Lived in Lincolnshire for about 15 years before moving to Cumbria. Totally depends on what you want and need.

You would be leaving where it rains a lot to where it is cold most of the year. Have you looked at Cumbria?

Astute

Very accurate 🤣

My wife was born in Louth. I used to call her the mouth from Louth 😆

Macca1987

Most of June taken up this year, 10 days in Perth visiting our Aussie family, then flight to Bali for 2 weeks to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary, same hotel and everything, haven't been able to go back because of Covid, so this is first time back, lots to plan and do.
PS, just haven't mentioned at work that we are away for June lol

Kneeza

We love Confolens. It is where we wanted to live. But the right property just never came up. It was all about compromise in the end.

River bank on garden? No. But Gartempe and Vienne nearby.

Close to a town/village square? No. But 7 minutes away.

Ticked every other box.

We join in with Armistice day each year. Every local commune does their own thing. The whole country stops for the day.
Yes, tempted to try to find something near Confolens. Love it.
Armistice day was fun. We were travelling up from Ambrière-les-Vallées (another place well worth a visit, with a riverside aire) and every town and village seemed to have a parade on, with police, army, marching bands, priests...
Got to Hermanville eventually and virtually everything was shut, but we did manage to find the only open restaurant for a late lunch.

Astute

Yes, tempted to try to find something near Confolens. Love it.
Armistice day was fun. We were travelling up from Ambrière-les-Vallées (another place well worth a visit, with a riverside aire) and every town and village seemed to have a parade on, with police, army, marching bands, priests...
Got to Hermanville eventually and virtually everything was shut, but we did manage to find the only open restaurant for a late lunch.
France. The only place I know where restaurants close early for dinner 😂

After visiting for 37 years we still have most of it to explore. But if you keep out of the cities the people are very welcoming. Most important bit if advice is say hello wherever you go. Don't live at 100mph because they only do slow. Their equivalent of tomorrow is not today 😁

Spent a month in France for Christmas/New year. Had a blowout in my car. The next day got a puncture in the wife's car. The law says 2 tyres must be the same and the same amount of tread. And you have to wait a week before they get them in and fitted. So had to drive around on a spacesaver for a week.

But if you're ready to slow down and take it easy it's the best place in the world.

Kneeza

France. The only place I know where restaurants close early for dinner 😂

After visiting for 37 years we still have most of it to explore. But if you keep out of the cities the people are very welcoming. Most important bit if advice is say hello wherever you go. Don't live at 100mph because they only do slow. Their equivalent of tomorrow is not today 😁

Spent a month in France for Christmas/New year. Had a blowout in my car. The next day got a puncture in the wife's car. The law says 2 tyres must be the same and the same amount of tread. And you have to wait a week before they get them in and fitted. So had to drive around on a spacesaver for a week.

But if you're ready to slow down and take it easy it's the best place in the world.
Good advice - I tend to travel there at 55 to 60mph max in the moho, which is plenty fast enough there.

Astute

Good advice - I tend to travel there at 55 to 60mph max in the moho, which is plenty fast enough there.
Same here.

We sold our motorhome when I finally talked the wife into moving to France knowing I wouldn't join her for another 4 years. I drive fast in a car. But put me in a motorhome and I'm happy to just cruise along at about 55mph.

Grendel

Same here.

We sold our motorhome when I finally talked the wife into moving to France knowing I wouldn't join her for another 4 years. I drive fast in a car. But put me in a motorhome and I'm happy to just cruise along at about 55mph.

Are you really Susan Calman?

Astute

Quite near another reasonably pleasant market town, Burgh le Marsh, but then you're getting dangerously close to the sheer hellhole of Skegness.
Or Skegvegas as it is locally known 🙄

clint van damme

-proof vests

🤷

In my old job our head office was in the Sittinbourne neck of the woods.
I can honestly say that I had to deal with some of the biggest wankers you're ever likely to meet.

Grendel

Oops. Been looking at houses in Chatham. 😂

Is Canterbury really expensive? I’ve no idea but I loved staying there when I had work in Kent

Otis

Is Canterbury really expensive? I’ve no idea but I loved staying there when I had work in Kent
It's not too bad actually, but apparently the traffic is awful and it's getting worse. Big new development of housing taking place and everyone is worried it's going to make it so much worse.

We both love Canterbury. Such a lovely feel to the place.

Users who are viewing this thread