The holiday 2023 thread (2 Viewers)

Terry_dactyl

Just booked 5 nights in Marseille. Strangely I’ve never been to France. I’m very much looking forward to it…need a break!

ovduk78

Not as exotic as the rest of you but we are in Lincolnshire for the week. Yesterday we had the pleasure of Skegness which my son commented could supply non stop contestants for the Undateables! We were treated to a 30 minute display by we think a Spitfire! Going to the Lancaster museum in Spilsby & Battle of Britain museum at RAF Coningsby today. Was hoping to go to RAF Cranwell where my dad was stationed but it is closed for next 3 days & we are heading back to Scotland on Friday.

rob9872

Not as exotic as the rest of you but we are in Lincolnshire for the week. Yesterday we had the pleasure of Skegness which my son commented could supply non stop contestants for the Undateables! We were treated to a 30 minute display by we think a Spitfire! Going to the Lancaster museum in Spilsby & Battle of Britain museum at RAF Coningsby today. Was hoping to go to RAF Cranwell where my dad was stationed but it is closed for next 3 days & we are heading back to Scotland on Friday.
Spend a fair amount of time over that way. Skegness is dreadful as are most neighbouring places, but just the other side of the wash into Norfolk is beautiful on that north east coast (anywhere between Heacham and Wells next to the sea)

Brighton Sky Blue

Lincoln itself is well worth going to if you have the time.

Great_Expectations

We’re on a last minute family holiday in the Norfolk Broads (I feel very Partridge) for 8 days before the eldest starts school next week.

Plenty to do for the kids, but hoping to sample a local brewery tap room or at least decent craft ale bar. Any recommendations? We’re currently around Burgh.

Next few months my partner and I have a few couples long weekends abroad lined up which I’m looking forward to!

ccfctommy

Going Albufuera for a stag weekend and thinking of extending it for a few days by taking a bus to Lisbon. Does anybody have any ideas on where to stay and what to do there?

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Going Albufuera for a stag weekend and thinking of extending it for a few days by taking a bus to Lisbon. Does anybody have any ideas on where to stay and what to do there?
If you go to Lisbon then I would definitely recommend getting the train down the road to Sintra and spend a day there visiting the castle and the town, really nice.
also, for your recovery after Albufeira there are some cracking beaches a few miles away.
You could watch Gyok in a game

we went as a group so had an Airbnb near the centre, there are lots of options, it’s an easily walkable place

fernandopartridge

If you go to Lisbon then I would definitely recommend getting the train down the road to Sintra and spend a day there visiting the castle and the town, really nice.
also, for your recovery after Albufeira there are some cracking beaches a few miles away.
You could watch Gyok in a game

we went as a group so had an Airbnb near the centre, there are lots of options, it’s an easily walkable place
Loads of great beaches to the south of Albufeira, Felisia the massive one but the little ones are great too

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

LastGarrison

Lisbon’s a great city and if you’ve never been before there’s plenty to see and do! If you’re just there for a couple of days the it might be with doing the hop on and off bus and as it takes you around all of the main sites!

If you’re still up for a drink after Albufeira then just head for pink street.

If you decide to stay a bit longer then I recommend a visit to Cascais which is a beautiful town with some amazing restaurants although it is on the pricier side!

covcity4life

After a lot of complaining they're sites the name by 3 characters

However I haven't put middle names down and they said they cannot add that

Can you still fly international without middle names?

Grendel

Went down to Southwold Wednesday for a night with family. Lovely beach and town there.

Yes it’s a nice town with a modern pier I think?

Terry_dactyl

Been in Marseille for about 2 hours. This is the first time I’ve been to France.
There are A LOT of rats running around the place, more or less outside our apartment; the streets smell of piss, the taxi driver from the airport nearly killed us, and the few French people I’ve interacted with have been very aloof…smoking fags and lacking in any discernible facial expressions…I love it!
The only downside is the Scottish and Irish Rugby fans milling about the place absolutely wrecked…”enough of this French shit”.
I care not for your sport or your attitude.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Been in Marseille for about 2 hours. This is the first time I’ve been to France.
There are A LOT of rats running around the place, more or less outside our apartment; the streets smell of piss, the taxi driver from the airport nearly killed us, and the few French people I’ve interacted with have been very aloof…smoking fags and lacking in any discernible facial expressions…I love it!
The only downside is the Scottish and Irish Rugby fans milling about the place absolutely wrecked…”enough of this French shit”.
I care not for your sport or your attitude.
Sounds like the French answer to Naples

Kneeza

Further along the coast is Tallinn which is fairly similar unless you have an Estonian ex
I have a house in Tallinn.
Well, I would have if the godforsaken bastard soviet authorities hadn't forced my father to sign it over either to them or a family member still living in Estonia.
Sadly, the house my grandfather built now belongs to my late father's cousin, who is a bit of a nutcase hermit.
I've not yet visited, but am thinking about driving up next year - goaded on by my daughter who has been a few times. Hopefully I'll get into the house at some point or definitely view it from the outside, and also see the apartment block in the centre, where dad was living when the Sovs invaded and he was forced to flee to Germany, and thence to the UK after the war.
Tallinn's obviously a beautiful city, but I have mixed feelings.
At least I have Eesti citizenship, by birthright, and the passport, so can say 'fuck brexit' with impunity! 😁

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Currently in Miami. Have a two week work trip, but now I am thinking after this is done to just stay and travel the country more, or even visit central America. Looks like a holiday may have turned into an exodus!

I knew there was a big Hispanic influence here, but pretty much every interaction I have had has been in Spanish. Hotels, uber, bars, haircut. Can't see myself coming back to Europe any time soon. Feels so liberating to travel properly after the pandemic. I guess I'm also now a digital nomad. Life is so weird.

Sick Boy

Currently in Miami. Have a two week work trip, but now I am thinking after this is done to just stay and travel the country more, or even visit central America. Looks like a holiday may have turned into an exodus!

I knew there was a big Hispanic influence here, but pretty much every interaction I have had has been in Spanish. Hotels, uber, bars, haircut. Can't see myself coming back to Europe any time soon. Feels so liberating to travel properly after the pandemic. I guess I'm also now a digital nomad. Life is so weird.
As you’re relatively ‘nearby’, I’d suggest going to Aruba for a week.

Mcbean

If you ever get down there again the Heritage aviation museum is a brilliant day out - also the view cafe in between Skeggy and Butlins is a belter - it saved our lives over a weekend in Butlitz- also a great beach walk to find the tank in the sand

ovduk78

If you ever get down there again the Heritage aviation museum is a brilliant day out - also the view cafe in between Skeggy and Butlins is a belter - it saved our lives over a weekend in Butlitz- also a great beach walk to find the tank in the sand
If the heritage museum is at East Kirkby then that is what I meant by the Lancaster museum. We went there and it was brilliant & truly inspirational. I spoke to a guy there who was part of a team hand building the section that cockpit is part of as the 1 in their Lancaster is on loan from another museum.

Mcbean

If the heritage museum is at East Kirkby then that is what I meant by the Lancaster museum. We went there and it was brilliant & truly inspirational. I spoke to a guy there who was part of a team hand building the section that cockpit is part of as the 1 in their Lancaster is on loan from another museum.
yes thats the one (y)

Kneeza

The View is pretty decent. It's an ex Coastguard lookout iirc, and one of the very few places that make that cesspit bearable.
The North Sea Observatory cafe at Chapel Point is another.

Adge

This time next week I’ll be on a two week cruise around the Canary Islands! Can’t fooking wait 🤩
Always wanted to do a cruise and we’ve talked about it for ages but don’t know the first thing about them. Is this your first one?

Users who are viewing this thread