The holiday 2023 thread (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Looking to go somewhere in September for a week with the missus and I genuinely haven't got a clue. I would say I am very well travelled but for some reason finding somewhere to go just seems like a more annoying task than ever. I find something I am happy with and five minutes later change my mind. The costs are also staggering for even some of the cheaper countries too, which is a bit off-putting.

Was looking at Ibiza but it seems very bad value. Croatia and Montenegro the weather will be a bit suspect. Turkey (sorry Türkiye) looks good in some ways, particularly weather wise, but whilst we want to do both partying and beach on the trip, some of the resorts and hotels also look a bit shoddy. Mallorca, Italy, Greece probably off the list as been there a lot.

Somewhere pretty, hot, with some night life.

Come on SBT - help a man out.
Gdańsk ticks all those boxes, weather’s sunny in the high 20s at the moment, lovely city and nice beaches too.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Came back Monday morning had a few hours sleep but have really struggled with jetlag

clint van damme

Not bad for a guy in chinos.

Never been to Estonia but it is on the list. Did Lithuania in June and Latvia about 5 years ago. Jurmala is a great beach place there. Think I probably fancy heading south for September though.

If your just looking to chill and nothing too cultural go Lanzarote.
Cheap, you can be on the beach within an hour of leaving the airport, its got nightlife and decent places to eat and it will be hot.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
No beach but often cheap flights to Milan, good bards and night Life

I am sure you have been but I love Barcelona for the beach and the bars and clubs at night

Lisbon is similar to Barcelona, great beaches and interesting areas to visit and good bars, reasonably priced

If you go Turkey, then Bodrum/Gumbet has good late bars but get a taxi to Bitez beach, that’s the best around And about £3 taxi from Gumbet

LastGarrison

Might be worth having a look at Albania as some of the beaches I have been seeing look amazing.

Got to know a couple of Albanian girls through work and they took me for a night out in Tirana and I can confirm the nightlife is pretty good as well.

Me and the Missus have just booked 4 nights in Utrecht and will travel into Amsterdam for one of the days as she has never been and considering going Rotterdam on another one of the days.

Anything you can recommend @Earlsdon_Skyblue1 for seeing and doing in Utrecht/Rotterdam?

Covkid1968#

Might be worth having a look at Albania as some of the beaches I have been seeing look amazing.

Got to know a couple of Albanian girls through work and they took me for a night out in Tirana and I can confirm the nightlife is pretty good as well.

Me and the Missus have just booked 4 nights in Utrecht and will travel into Amsterdam for one of the days as she has never been and considering going Rotterdam on another one of the days.

Anything you can recommend @Earlsdon_Skyblue1 for seeing and doing in Utrecht/Rotterdam?
Albania looks amazing… going to give it a try next year!!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That's a good shout. A tour of the Balkans are due and Vlorë in Albania was actually on the list. Wherever we go, we are probably going to just book it the week before. Gives us a chance to suss out the weather and also hopefully get a cheap deal.

You've done the right thing to stay in Utrecht. I actually think it is the better city, but by going to Amsterdam for a day you won't miss anything out which is great. I would recommend going to Naarden for a day also, that's a pretty place. Utrecht itself is just really nice for walking around down by the canal. Good bars and restaurants, and if you like a night out is really good fun. Would recommend Cafe Flater for some good music, drinks (and MILF stronghold). If you are there when a Utrecht game is on I would also invite you to come along, but maybe that isn't something the missus would want to do.

Obviously a bit touristic, but my bosses from the US came over in June and we did a walking food tour which was actually excellent. Also a solid boat trip has to be done. Let me know if you want any more specific recommendations for restaurants etc. You will have a great time!

fernandopartridge

Looking to go somewhere in September for a week with the missus and I genuinely haven't got a clue. I would say I am very well travelled but for some reason finding somewhere to go just seems like a more annoying task than ever. I find something I am happy with and five minutes later change my mind. The costs are also staggering for even some of the cheaper countries too, which is a bit off-putting.

Was looking at Ibiza but it seems very bad value. Croatia and Montenegro the weather will be a bit suspect. Turkey (sorry Türkiye) looks good in some ways, particularly weather wise, but whilst we want to do both partying and beach on the trip, some of the resorts and hotels also look a bit shoddy. Mallorca, Italy, Greece probably off the list as been there a lot.

Canaries

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

LastGarrison

That's a good shout. A tour of the Balkans are due and Vlorë in Albania was actually on the list. Wherever we go, we are probably going to just book it the week before. Gives us a chance to suss out the weather and also hopefully get a cheap deal.

You've done the right thing to stay in Utrecht. I actually think it is the better city, but by going to Amsterdam for a day you won't miss anything out which is great. I would recommend going to Naarden for a day also, that's a pretty place. Utrecht itself is just really nice for walking around down by the canal. Good bars and restaurants, and if you like a night out is really good fun. Would recommend Cafe Flater for some good music, drinks (and MILF stronghold). If you are there when a Utrecht game is on I would also invite you to come along, but maybe that isn't something the missus would want to do.

Obviously a bit touristic, but my bosses from the US came over in June and we did a walking food tour which was actually excellent. Also a solid boat trip has to be done. Let me know if you want any more specific recommendations for restaurants etc. You will have a great time!
Thanks ESB! Appreciated.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Booked a round the world cruise. If we don't like it, we'll go somewhere else! 😅
Seriously though, we're going overseas in September. Yep! Booked a holiday on the Isle of Wight to catch up with old friends and neighbours.
What dya mean, "not overseas"?
Try walking it! 🤣

Reactions: vow

jimmyhillsfanclub

Cote D'Azur mate.
Sleazyjet to Nice then car rental or local rail right along the coast for day trips to Cannes, Monaco, St tropez and even cross over into Italy or up into the Alps...all within a couple hours.

Antibes is a great place to stay, good food options, beaches, nice bit of culture and good night life down the road at Juan-le- pins.

PurpleBin

Gdansk is a nice place, went for two nights earlier in the year.

Bologna is a lovely place and the food is off the scale brilliant. Le Stenze was a good restaurant, in an old church. Wine was top too.

JAM See

Just back from Macedonia (Ohrid). Really enjoyed it.

Downside is that flights from the UK for a package holiday are limited to Gatwick and Manchester.

Upfront cost was cheap and it's about £2 a pint (food prices are proportionate to beer prices).

Lake Ohrid itself is lovely.

Well worth a visit if you want something different in Europe.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just back from Macedonia (Ohrid). Really enjoyed it.

Downside is that flights from the UK for a package holiday are limited to Gatwick and Manchester.

Upfront cost was cheap and it's about £2 a pint (food prices are proportionate to beer prices).

Lake Ohrid itself is lovely.

Well worth a visit if you want something different in Europe.
Not a great name for a place in terms of marketing.

Come to Macedonia and have an Ohrid time.

JAM See

Bologna is a lovely place and the food is off the scale brilliant. Le Stenze was a good restaurant, in an old church. Wine was top too.
Just booked a dirty weekend for Gdansk with the GLW. Any tips?

Brighton Sky Blue

Was in Bologna last year and can agree with that. Interesting ground to watch football in too.

Brighton Sky Blue

If you go back there you should go to
Zerocinquantino for aperitivo. When I was there they did a fixed price for drinks with 500ml glasses of Spritz Campari/Aperol.
If we went back we'd probably go again to Bologna/San Marino. Great food in the former, unbeatable views/scenery in the latter.

Sick Boy

If we went back we'd probably go again to Bologna/San Marino. Great food in the former, unbeatable views/scenery in the latter.
Never been to San Marino but we’re off to Umbria for a wedding next week, so aiming to stop there. The best food I’ve had was in Sicily and Ravenna - the latter is definitely worth a night’s stay if you go back to Bologna - probably one of my favourites places.

Brighton Sky Blue

Never been to San Marino but we’re off to Umbria for a wedding next week, so aiming to stop there. The best food I’ve had was in Sicily and Ravenna - the latter is definitely worth a night’s stay if you go back to Bologna - probably one of my favourites places.
The wife and I both thought San Marino was the most stunning place we've ever been. Fantastic food and views in 'La Terrazza' there if you get the chance.

Marty

Gdansk old town is beautiful, plenty to see and do, if you get the chance, get the train to Sopot and Gdynia. Sopot is gorgeous, train station is about 1km from the beach and it's a lovely walk through the town down to the pier. Gdynia is lovely, a lot more modern city, again loads to do and loads of places to visit. Reda waterpark is a good evenings entertainment, and pritty cheap. About 15-20 minutes from Gdynia on the train, we visit every time we go to Gdynia.

Food wise, Mandu is incredible, makes the best pierogi, the owner won the polish version of MasterChef, and it's cheap, it's less than a fiver for a main meal. Book a table as every time we've been the queue is about 10 parties deep. Pyra bar is quality, everything is made with potatoes (pyra is slang term for potato) mountain of food and so cheap, Hashi Sushi is really good, but you're paying the same prices as you would do in this country.

PurpleBin

Agree with @Marty Mandu is class. The different types of Pierogi are unreal. There was 6 of us so we all got different types. Wild buffalo if I remember were different class. For the sweet ones, raspberry and white chocolate were great.

Few nice cocktail bars there. It's only tiny so easy to get round. Pixl Cocktail bar was cool. We spent a couple of hours in there, staff are great and will make whatever you like. As I say, there were 6 of us in there for a few hours and I think the total bill was the equivalent of about 60 quid.

Users who are viewing this thread