The "Highlights" (1 Viewer)

Otis

I am baffled why he does it.

Then when you look at how he slates Bakayoko but makes up excuses for Chaplin.
I think he only slated Bakayoko the once didn't he? And as ceetee has alluded, maybe Chaplin is Robins' signing and Baka isn't.

fernandopartridge

Away at Bristol rovers. Completely forgot about both these but you’re spot on, I thought he looked unbelievably clinical from those two, so far is yet to transpire into his game. Hopeful it’ll come though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's snatching at things now, or not shooting at all. He has had a few opportunities where he's picked the ball up just outside the area and not had a go.

It's all about confidence and he's not got much at the minute, not helped by fans getting on his back or criticising him because of an unconfirmed transfer fee.

Nick

Administrator
I think he only slated Bakayoko the once didn't he? And as ceetee has alluded, maybe Chaplin is Robins' signing and Baka isn't.

Nah, he tried to say he was at fault for the Walsall goal as well. Just as bizarre as his defence of Chaplin.

Otis

He's snatching at things now, or not shooting at all. He has had a few opportunities where he's picked the ball up just outside the area and not had a go.

It's all about confidence and he's not got much at the minute, not helped by fans getting on his back or criticising him because of an unconfirmed transfer fee.
That's like a millstone round his neck and nothing to do with him personally as a player. Not his fault someone paid that much for him.

oucho

I’ve written off this season now. I’ll go to games and enjoy seeing people and being at the football but I think I’ve clocked out of expecting anything.
Welcome to my life.

Irish Sky Blue

Against Wycombe he had a shot cleared off the line.
Against Scunthorpe he had a looping effort that the keeper had to put over the bar.
Against Plymouth, when he scored with an excellent free kick, he also had two other second half chances to score.
He should have scored the one at Wycombe and at least one of the two at Plymouth but if he is getting in the positions where he has good goalscoring chances he isn’t anonymous.
He just needs to be given time to show what he can do. I think he will come good.

Otis

Against Scunthorpe he had a looping effort that the keeper had to put over the bar.
Against Plymouth, when he scored with an excellent free kick, he also had two other second half chances to score.
He should have scored the one at Wycombe and at least one of the two at Plymouth but if he is getting in the positions where he has good goalscoring chances he isn’t anonymous.
He just needs to be given time to show what he can do. I think he will come good.
Yeah, criticise him by all means for missing chances, but he's hardly anonymous.

Nick

Administrator

He needs to show what he can do given all of the time that has been invested in him and the insistence in playing him all the time.

Other players haven't been given anywhere near the chance he has had.

Otis

He needs to show what he can do given all of the time that has been invested in him and the insistence in playing him all the time.

Other players haven't been given anywhere near the chance he has had.
No, but then he's our top scorer isn't he? I can see why Robins still plays him.

Nick

Administrator
No, but then he's our top scorer isn't he? I can see why Robins still plays him.

Then again that's probably because he gets many more minutes as opposed to others and is the penalty taker (yep, still goals though).

How many would others get given the same opportunity?

Otis

Then again that's probably because he gets many more minutes as opposed to others and is the penalty taker (yep, still goals though).

How many would others get given the same opportunity?
None. Agree. But JCH is not a goalscorer and I think Baka's and Hiwula's shooting is worse. Chaplin showed he can smack a lovely goal with that effort at Plymouth. That was a beauty.

I just feel with Hiwula and Baka they tend to drag a lot of shots wide. I know it's only the warm-up, but if you watch that you will see. I think Baka dragged three in a row wide on Saturday and that's with no pressure and no defenders in front.

The players that hit the ball the sweetest are Chaplin, Shipley (especially) and JCH, though he does tend to blaze a fair few of them over the bar.

Again, I know it is just pre-match, but it gives the impression they just aren't as good in front of goal.

Nick

Administrator
None. Agree. But JCH is not a goalscorer and I think Baka's and Hiwula's shooting is worse. Chaplin showed he can smack a lovely goal with that effort at Plymouth. That was a beauty.

I just feel with Hiwula and Baka they tend to drag a lot of shots wide. I know it's only the warm-up, but if you watch that you will see. I think Baka dragged three in a row wide on Saturday and that's with no pressure and no defenders in front.

The players that hit the ball the sweetest are Chaplin, Shiopley (especially) and JCH, though he does tend to blaze a fair few of them over the bar.

Again, I know it is just pre-match, but it gives the impression they just aren't as good in front of goal.

If Baka and Hiwula's shooting is worse then why are a higher percentage on target compared to Chaplin's who has the worst out of our attackers?

Irish Sky Blue

I think that there is little room for sentiment in football. A manager survives or falls by the decisions he makes. I cannot see that a manager would have favourites who he would pick to the detriment of the team’s performance. Robin’s has shown he has a ruthless side. Doyle,who has been his right hand man at the training ground, in the dressing room and on the pitch, is no longer getting a game. Ogogo,who if rumours are to be believed has cost an enormous amount in signing on fee and salary (4K a week I have been told) has also not been playing. The only reason I can see that Robins is picking Chaplin is because he believes he is the best option for the team and believes he will come good. Perhaps he doesn’t feel that about Ogogo. Both seem to be Robin’s signings.Both cost,for us, a lot of money but one plays and the other doesn’t. I would have thought, given the financial outlay on Ogogo, there is as much pressure on Robins to play Ogogo as Chaplin.
Last season he stuck by both McNulty and Biamou when both were getting dogs abuse for not scoring. Both came good. That is no guarantee that Chaplin will, but it is just proof that if Robins has faith in a player he will stick with him. This is due to faith in a player’s ability not down to he likes this lad better than that one. As stated, his survival as a manager comes down to picking a winning team, not pleasing his “mates” by picking them.

Otis

If Baka and Hiwula's shooting is worse then why are a higher percentage on target compared to Chaplin's who has the worst out of our attackers?
Ah, but weren't you saying some of Chaplin's were tap ins?

It's all relative isn't it. It's the same when some point point to clean sheets and praise Burge, when of course it could have actually been the back four that saved his skin.

All I'm saying is that Chaplin seems more natural and someone has already said, in training he's the one banging them in left, right and centre.

I would have rested him previously, but in terms of goals right now he's hit a bit of a purple patch.

Nick

Administrator
Ah, but weren't you saying some of Chaplin's were tap ins?

It's all relative isn't it. It's the same when some point point to clean sheets and praise Burge, when of course it could have actually been the back four that saved his skin.

All I'm saying is that Chaplin seems more natural and someone has already said, in training he's the one banging them in left, right and centre.

I would have rested him previously, but in terms of goals right now he's hit a bit of a purple patch.

Cody McDonald scored a hat trick in training as well though.

Yes, the shots on target includes tap ins and penalties as well. His

He is still missing sitters left, right and centre. If it was Bakayoko missing those he would probably be taken off within 5 minutes, certainly wouldn't then shift the whole front line about to accommodate him. Did Robins blame the pitch when Hiwula slipped over in front of goal?

Chaplin has had 42 shots, 19 on target and 7 goals.
JCH has had 49 shots, 23 on target and 6 goals.
Hiwula has had 27 shots, 18 on target and 5 goals.
Luke Thomas has had 49 shots, 24 on target and 4 goals.
Bakayoko has had 10 shots, 5 on target and 3 goals.

Chaplin and JCH have played up front the most.

Otis

He is still missing sitters left, right and centre. If it was Bakayoko missing those he would probably be taken off within 5 minutes, certainly wouldn't then shift the whole front line about to accommodate him. Did Robins blame the pitch when Hiwula slipped over in front of goal?

You sure that's right? Pretty certain Thomas has had about 172 shots and only got 4 goals. ;)

Again, it is subjective. It's great that players are getting the ball on target, but Hiwula has hit so many shots straight at the keeper as I recall.

What I would like to see is Enobakhare and Chaplin being given a go together. Think that might well work.

Nick

Administrator
You sure that's right? Pretty certain Thomas has had about 172 shots and only got 4 goals. ;)

Again, it is subjective. It's great that players are getting the ball on target, but Hiwula has hit so many shots straight at the keeper as I recall.

What I would like to see is Enobakhare and Chaplin being given a go together. Think that might well work.

Yes but he has still a higher percentage on target (ie not over or wide) than Chaplin and more from open play and from mostly out wide.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

So we've had nearing 200 shots and scored only 25 goals?

That's absolutely shocking.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well I would agree, but he has been scoring lately and I think that is what is keeping him in the side.

I put it down to Robins preferring ‘his’ signing. Another case where he is sticking to a losing formula.

Irish Sky Blue

I put it down to Robins preferring ‘his’ signing. Another case where he is sticking to a losing formula.
He would prefer to pick a “favourite” to the detriment of the team? Why? He picks him because he believes he is the best option.you may disagree with this but I just cannot understand why he would pick someone who weakens the team thereby putting his job at risk.

Nick

Administrator
He would prefer to pick a “favourite” to the detriment of the team? Why? He picks him because he believes he is the best option.you may disagree with this but I just cannot understand why he would pick someone who weakens the team thereby putting his job at risk.

Results disagree with Robins.

As does the lame attempt at getting back into the game at the weekend.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Your logic isn't wrong at all, and in a perfect world this would be the case.

However, we have a manager, who whilst is fairly decent, is prone to a bit of favouritism. I think that's pretty clear to see for most now.

Then again, having spent half a million on that player is probably why he feels he has to pick him. The recruitment this summer has seemed very disappointing and a little bit suspect too.

robbiekeane

You love the old “unconfirmed” transfer fee don’t you

Brighton Sky Blue

He has shown many times that he's stubborn in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Otis

He still totally has my backing.

He's not let us down so far and still has a win excellent win ratio in terms of managers of this club.

Johhny Blue

Weird thing is chaplin. I remember his first 3 games, he had two efforts beautifully drilled low from about 10-18 yards both ruled out for really really tight offside. Barnsley was one, the other was away somewhere. I remember thinking, that's what we have lacked, how unlucky is CC they were minorly offside. And since then it just hasn't happened
Barnsley was one of the few games I attended this yr. That disallowed goal cost me about 50 quid.
For the record I don’t think his miss was quite as bad as everyone is saying. I can remember as a player being caught in that “not quite able to get to it” feeling.
JCH miss was a crime.
Their goal looked suspiciously offside. Has anyone slowed it down to have a good look?

Nick

Administrator
Performances don’t. Four good goalscoring chances in the lame second half.

It isn't a good performance if we lose. Blackpool had a couple of shots and won the game, regardless of us doing loads of fancy passing.

Plymouth went at us when they went 1-0 down. Robins tried to defend the lead as soon as we scored. We invited the pressure and we couldn't handle it.

Possession stats don't count in the league table.

Irish Sky Blue

We win we have played well. We lose we have played badly. Don’t think that this is true at all. In my view we are very close to having a winning team who play good football. I have seen Blackpool win twice this season. If that is the way they play I am glad I am not a Blackpool fan.

Nick

Administrator
We win we have played well. We lose we have played badly. Don’t think that this is true at all. In my view we are very close to having a winning team who play good football. I have seen Blackpool win twice this season. If that is the way they play I am glad I am not a Blackpool fan.
You are just repeating a robins sound byte of being close.

In reality we aren't close, we went behind on Saturday and he had absolutely no idea what to do.

We lost two nil, we could have had 99% possession but they had done their homework and did what they needed to for a win.

Otis

I think we ARE close though.

If we had one single striker who was taking half the chances we have been creating we'd have won a lot more games and be very close to the top 6, if not in it.

I think we are close to being a good side. The failure to take excellent chances has cost us dearly.

Just 31 goals scored in 30 games tells you everything you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread