The gradual shift in style... (1 Viewer)

Jamesimus

League One title winning season we seemed to be focused on ball retention / possession at a much slower tempo.

Now, it feels like from since mid-way through last season, we have been trying to get the ball forward much more quickly and we're more focused on playing at a higher tempo, which unsettles other teams.

Would be interested to know what prompted this change / hear from the stat nerds who could back this up, or maybe I'm just completely wrong!

eastwoodsdustman

We still try to retain possession at the back to stretch teams out of shape a bit then push the ball in quickly in attack.
The opposition is stronger, fitter and better drilled than seasons before so we have had to become more incisive and quicker into attacks when we get the chance than we previously had to.

stay_up_skyblues

Seemed to be going longer a lot more last night, with some success. Think that is more in recognition of the deteriorating pitch though. Rugger wankers.

shmmeee

Seemed to be going longer a lot more last night, with some success. Think that is more in recognition of the deteriorating pitch though. Rugger wankers.

Think it was mostly to do with not have any decent AMs on the pitch to link play TBH. The amount of times there were just no options ahead of the defence or DMs…

pusbccfc

We've also got better players who make playing that way easier Hamer and Sheaf > Kelly and Walsh

To be fair, I think Walsh would fit nicely into our team. Not as a replacement for Sheaf or Hamer though.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Think it was mostly to do with not have any decent AMs on the pitch to link play TBH. The amount of times there were just no options ahead of the defence or DMs…
This is my take too. O'Hare usually travels with the ball and links up with Sheaf and Hamer. Allen too but was outmuscled several times early on. Shipley's best attribute is striking a ball. He (and others) were picking the ball up deep and looking to fire Gyo down the channels. I think it's a deliberate style change due to the players who were available. Sheaf and Hamer still got on the ball and moved it around. Ideally we get another player who can replicate O'Hare's style, but having several ways of playing isn't necessarily a bad thing.

johnwillomagic

Think our style had not massively changed since league one being honest we still keep the ball across our back iine and try to move teams around from there before we press forward.

The intensity may have increased but that is partly due to better players and party due to needing to by moving up a division,

As to going longer slightly can be a variety of reasons - pitch deterioration, the players we have in the starting xi and even to some extent the oppositions style of play.

Personally don't notice much of a style change from league one at all just an improvement in personnel.

wingy

Think the bigger thing for me is we try to play high intensity from the off now, before was very cautious steady game management happy hopefully to be 0-0 at HT then switch up second half .
Might have been to do with fitness also IE don't burn the player's out too early in the long season,save something back for the traditional push second half of season.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Think the bigger thing for me is we try to play high intensity from the off now, before was very cautious steady game management happy hopefully to be 0-0 at HT then switch up second half .
Might have been to do with fitness also IE don't burn the player's out too early in the long season,save something back for the traditional push second half of season.
We still are cautious in some games though, Fulham and Bournemouth come to mind,, where the second half was a completely different approach.

You might be right about fitness though, or quality of opposition. We'd clearly planned to give the Stoke defenders no time at all.

Colin Steins Smile

I don’t think our style of play has changed dramatically since L1. What has changed is we’ve improved at it and adapted to the Championship.
One thing I feel that has changed is the ability to change the pace of the game from slow sideways ball movement, into a fast passing interchange forwards.

Jamesimus

So the general consensus is it just seems more intense / a higher tempo because we're actually just better now haha. Happy enough with that.

slowpoke

What is happening is slowly we are building a good championship quality squad our last three signings JCS, Kane & Bidwell are all quality at our current level we can add Sheaf, Hamer, Gyo & Godden to them, get lucky with a centre-back and ACM we can be a stong challenging team next season, might be close this season you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread