The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (31 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clint van damme

Who is responsible , those who voted to leave ?

well what do you think, if we weren't leaving there wouldn't have been a deal to negotiate.
It's nobodies fault but those who voted leave and the morons they entrusted to see us through the process.
It might turn out alright yet so as I said previously, they can take the plaudits if it does.
To be fair to May, I would never have dreamed she'd still be PM as long a she has so she may pull a few rabbits out of the hat yet.

martcov

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet here. We would never be offered a deal which gave us an advantage economically ahead of any of the big players in Europe would we , given that all the other 27 nations would have to sanction it ? Here, sign this, then use this saw and cut your own hand off.

Yes. You’re right there. That’s what the EU said from the word go. It was BoJo who was on about having a cake and eating it and Davis saying he would be off to Germany to make a deal over car sales. Lying scum.

Grendel

There’s Tory MPs now openly saying it may well be the best option and reports that Labour are moving towards it behind closed doors.

Interesting can you provide a link to that?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

well what do you think, if we weren't leaving there wouldn't have been a deal to negotiate.
It's nobodies fault but those who voted leave and the morons they entrusted to see us through the process.
It might turn out alright yet so as I said previously, they can take the plaudits if it does.
To be fair to May, I would never have dreamed she'd still be PM as long a she has so she may pull a few rabbits out of the hat yet.
Most people who voted to leave wanted out of the EU and didn't want a negotiated "deal" as is being played out like a pantomime right now. They couldn't give a toss about what kind of deal, they wanted simply to leave, lock, stock etc. If you think Brexit voters took time to think about "ooooohhhh what kind of deal though ?" then you're mistaken, though continue to delude yourself if it means you can forever point the finger at everyone else .

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Yes. You’re right there. That’s what the EU said from the word go. It was BoJo who was on about having a cake and eating it and Davis saying he would be off to Germany to make a deal over car sales. Lying scum.
And you actually think 52% of the population took notice of that ? Anyway, that was after the vote so I fail to see your point .

clint van damme

Most people who voted to leave wanted out of the EU and didn't want a negotiated "deal" as is being played out like a pantomime right now. They couldn't give a toss about what kind of deal, they wanted simply to leave, lock, stock etc. If you think Brexit voters took time to think about "ooooohhhh what kind of deal though ?" then you're mistaken, though continue to delude yourself if it means you can forever point the finger at everyone else .

well they should have put a bit more thought into it. When I've got time I'll link you quotes from every leading Brexiteer, from Nigel Farage to George Galloway and I can assure you they all could give a toss about the deal and specify their vision for different conditions for leaving from no deal to the Norway option, the Canada option and everything in between .

Grendel

well they should have put a bit more thought into it. When I've got time I'll link you quotes from every leading Brexiteer, from Nigel Farage to George Galloway and I can assure you they all could give a toss about the deal and specify their vision for different conditions for leaving from no deal to the Norway option, the Canada option and everything in between .

What about the leader of the opposition?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think most people did put thought into it. Certainly no less than any remainer put thought into keeping things exactly the same.

Grendel

easier to define remain though as it was keeping the status quo.

Some thought we’d not be able to play in the Euros - one texted in to 5 live and thought we’d not be in the Eurovision

Many voted remain through fear not positivity

oucho

does anyone know whether this thread has broken the record for the SBT longest thread?

clint van damme

That's the thing though, remaining is not a status quo.

The direction the EU is going is part of the reason people wanted to leave it.

fair point, but as I've said repeatedly, this leave means leave bullshit is bollocks. Leave meant different things to different people.
And as I said, you only have to look at pre referendum quotes from some of the main campaigners to prove that.

Sick Boy

the agreement is fucking awful, everyone who voted leave and everyone who voted tory at the last GE will be responsible if we end up shackled it. Lets see how many have the balls to hold their hands up and admit responsibility and how many try and blame remainers/Corbyn/ the EU, everyone but themselves.

That’s the thing, the blame we be placed elsewhere. Toby Young on QT was trying to blame remainders for the whole situation a couple of weeks ago, it’s shocking no one who advocated this has the balls to take responsibility.

Grendel

oucho

I agree with the statement you quoted from Clint - there was no single version of Leave which won, there were lots of contradictory versions put out there, not one of which was meant to be binding on the government.

One of the most embarrassing things in the post-referendum period was people sarcastically demanding of the government "well come on then, where's the £350m per week for the NHS?" when it was clear that, unlike with an election where a new government comes in and is expected to deliver its manifesto pledges, the government had no obligation to deliver anything promised by any leave campaigner, other than that we'd leave the EU in some form or other.

The government does have to honour the referendum result, even though it was legally non-binding. That being said, any version of Brexit satisfies this, be it No Deal, Chequers, Norway, EEA, EFA, Canada, etc. I'd support a second referendum IF it had been the case at the time of the 2016 vote that we'd only leave if voted through in a second referendum, but since that's not the case there's obviously no justification for a second vote. I voted Remain and would prefer it if we were staying but even so it's clearly unfair to require an additional hurdle when the 2016 vote was so obviously advertised as the final vote on the UK's membership of the EU. Yes there were untruths told, on both sides, but that's politics - show me an election where the main players were not telling porkies and engaging in questionable financing.

Sick Boy

Ah yes Toby Helm - so up Brussels backside he can’t see out

No facts at all then

Of course the Blair worshippers will want to remain on the gravy train

If that happens Corbyn will be finished and he knows it

No offence but I give more weight to his article than your own heavily biased opinion, thanks.

Considering that JMcD has publicly said its inevitable and that Starmer has said more or less said the same, it’s not going to be far out

oucho

No offence but I give more weight to his article than your own heavily biased opinion, thanks.

Considering that JMcD has publicly said its inevitable and that Starmer has said more or less said the same, it’s not going to be far out
You don't you think that citing the Guardian as an unbiased news source on Brexit is a bit like asking the Pope if he hates the Devil? Some wishful thinking in that article IMO, the Guardian is so desperate for a second referendum to overturn the 2016 vote that they are in effect campaigning for it

martcov

You don't you think that citing the Guardian as an unbiased news source on Brexit is a bit like asking the Pope if he hates the Devil? Some wishful thinking in that article IMO, the Guardian is so desperate for a second referendum to overturn the 2016 vote that they are in effect campaigning for it

Is the Guardian lying?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Medication worn off? Back to insults again. No, there won’t be a referendum in a week or so, but May will lose an important vote which will increase the pressure for a second referendum.
Blimey, you're obsessed. I suppose its a reason to keep going.

martcov

I agree with the statement you quoted from Clint - there was no single version of Leave which won, there were lots of contradictory versions put out there, not one of which was meant to be binding on the government.

One of the most embarrassing things in the post-referendum period was people sarcastically demanding of the government "well come on then, where's the £350m per week for the NHS?" when it was clear that, unlike with an election where a new government comes in and is expected to deliver its manifesto pledges, the government had no obligation to deliver anything promised by any leave campaigner, other than that we'd leave the EU in some form or other.

The government does have to honour the referendum result, even though it was legally non-binding. That being said, any version of Brexit satisfies this, be it No Deal, Chequers, Norway, EEA, EFA, Canada, etc. I'd support a second referendum IF it had been the case at the time of the 2016 vote that we'd only leave if voted through in a second referendum, but since that's not the case there's obviously no justification for a second vote. I voted Remain and would prefer it if we were staying but even so it's clearly unfair to require an additional hurdle when the 2016 vote was so obviously advertised as the final vote on the UK's membership of the EU. Yes there were untruths told, on both sides, but that's politics - show me an election where the main players were not telling porkies and engaging in questionable financing.

There is more at stake here and there are foreign players hoping for the spoils. An election can be reversed after a short time. If it turns out that enough people decide that enough is enough and there appears to be public support for a vote on what we now know are the options, not just a vague undetermined leave versus remain, then we shouldn’t be bound by the referendum in 2016 which was flawed in it’s conception and it’s running.

martcov

Ah yes Toby Helm - so up Brussels backside he can’t see out

No facts at all then

Of course the Blair worshippers will want to remain on the gravy train

If that happens Corbyn will be finished and he knows it

Blair is not on the EU gravy train. UKIP is until the last minute.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

There is more at stake here and there are foreign players hoping for the spoils. An election can be reversed after a short time. If it turns out that enough people decide that enough is enough and there appears to be public support for a vote on what we now know are the options, not just a vague undetermined leave versus remain, then we shouldn’t be bound by the referendum in 2016 which was flawed in it’s conception and it’s running.
Please enlighten me how this will be measured. Another London march with a few hundred thousand waving their berets and Euro flags ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

In what way obsessed? Haven’t you bothered to look at the news after I pointed out your lack of information on current affairs?
Ha ha. Whereas you are completely in touch with you and you only. This thread is all about you and how much more informed you are than everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread