The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (85 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clint van damme

I'm not talking about 'areas', I'm talking about the people living in those areas and they don't consider they've benefitted which is why they voted leave.

But if they're in an area which is receiving quite generous support from the EU why do you think they consider they're not benefitting? Just curious as to what you think the reason is.

Sick Boy

All that has happened is that any talks that could happen in the future won't include the EU. There are no talks planned. But they spoke as though there are plans to have talks over Gibraltar. Would you like to disagree with me as usual?

You was prematurely celebrating the demise of May. Now you admit it was all bluster. Welcome again to the world where politicians lie.

I have always said that things could get very difficult for us for a few years at least. But then should improve as we find our feet again. But nobody knows.

You pick up on those politicians who show they don't have a clue. But when they say something agai8Brexit or our future suddenly to you they know what they are talking about.

Nobody knows how good or bad it will end up. We can guess. But as I have said all along the trade that the EU countries does with us isn't just a small amount. Millions of jobs depend on it. And as I also said countless times I can't see the EU biting their nose off to spite their face. They made it as hard as they could to get what they could. That was to be expected. If this gets voted down in parliament I don't have a clue if a better deal would be offered or as they call it a hard Brexit. I don't trust any of them to do the right thing.

I believe that Spain and UK will have separately, but the EU I obviously going to back and have solidarity with Spain once the UK is out, I also understand that any future trade deal may not include Gibraltar.

May is far from out of the woods yet and could yet step down if she doesn't get this agreement through parliament. As I've already said, I don't feel like there is a current party that would vote for, so it's not like I would be celebrating anything.

It's mutuality beneficial for the UK and the EU to agree a trade deal, as a country I believe we have a lot in common with our western European neighbours than compared to the USA.

skybluetony176

I'm not talking about 'areas', I'm talking about the people living in those areas and they don't consider they've benefitted which is why they voted leave.

Cornwall received amounts from the EU similar to those (per capita) that Romania and Bulgaria received (per capita). Things like the Eden project most likely wouldn’t have existed without it and in a county where tourism is the main industry I would think it’s hard to say that Cornwall hasn’t benefited from one of the most visited tourist sites in the U.K.

I wonder if the British government is going to replace that funding once it stops? My guess is Cornwall is going to realise what an own goal it scored by voting leave.

Sick Boy

The money clearly isn't reaching a majority of people in the area or if it is, then they put other considerations before personal financial benefit.

And by the way that money came originally from UK taxpayers, not from the EU.

Locally to me iam aware of 2 EU projects, one being renovations to a building and funding of a foodbank and the other to reopen a large homeless help/shelter in central Brighton. There's no way the current government would have funded either of these.

Sick Boy

That has been one of my arguments for the UK leaving all along, even in the days when I was pro-EU.

There's always going to be someone or something to focus the blame on though, it suits those in power as it takes the heat off them. The government must be delighted that the UN report has largely gone unnoticed due to it being buried by Brexit related news.

clint van damme

The money clearly isn't reaching a majority of people in the area or if it is, then they put other considerations before personal financial benefit.

And by the way that money came originally from UK taxpayers, not from the EU.

so do you believe the UK government will match that spend when we leave?

Sick Boy

And who do you think the EU got the money from?

I'm aware it would have been made up of contributions to the budget from countries, including the UK. The current government is more interested in giving tax breaks to the very wealthy and coming out with crap like foodbanks are 'uplifiting'. I find it incredibly hard to believe that they would have funded either projects

skybluetony176

And who do you think the EU got the money from?

The same place that the government will if they replace the EU funding. The taxpayer. Two things 1) they won’t, in part maybe but a lot of that funding will never be replaced 2) just because that portion of the taxpayers money no longer goes to the EU doesn’t mean we’ll see the benefit paid back either in the form of a tax cut or money to public projects and certainly not the NHS.

Astute

But if they're in an area which is receiving quite generous support from the EU why do you think they consider they're not benefitting? Just curious as to what you think the reason is.

Again where did the money go? What benefit did it have?

Astute

I believe that Spain and UK will have separately, but the EU I obviously going to back and have solidarity with Spain once the UK is out, I also understand that any future trade deal may not include Gibraltar.

May is far from out of the woods yet and could yet step down if she doesn't get this agreement through parliament. As I've already said, I don't feel like there is a current party that would vote for, so it's not like I would be celebrating anything.

It's mutuality beneficial for the UK and the EU to agree a trade deal, as a country I believe we have a lot in common with our western European neighbours than compared to the USA.
Spain doesn't want anything about Gibraltar going through the EU.

And I agree with the rest as it is exactly what I have been saying.

Astute

Cornwall received amounts from the EU similar to those (per capita) that Romania and Bulgaria received (per capita). Things like the Eden project most likely wouldn’t have existed without it and in a county where tourism is the main industry I would think it’s hard to say that Cornwall hasn’t benefited from one of the most visited tourist sites in the U.K.

I wonder if the British government is going to replace that funding once it stops? My guess is Cornwall is going to realise what an own goal it scored by voting leave.
Do you go to Cornwall much?

Most of them hate the tourists and can't wait for the holiday season to finish. Yes many make a living out of it. But it is mainly minimum wage.

skybluetony176

Do you go to Cornwall much?

Most of them hate the tourists and can't wait for the holiday season to finish. Yes many make a living out of it. But it is mainly minimum wage.

So they benefited then just like I said. Why do you constantly disagree with people by agreeing with them?

Minimum wage is better than no wage.

skybluetony176

Would you like to change places with them?

No. But if I lived in Cornwall all my life I wouldn’t want to swap with me either. Really not sure what your point is because no one is forcing them to live in Cornwall. They can clearly move should they wish to. Even to another part of Europe like you. For now anyway.

skybluetony176

You claim they 'benefitted' by taking minimum wage jobs that you wouldn't do yourself and then wonder why they didn't vote remain.

They benefit from having a job. Let’s see how it pans out after we leave and see if they would prefer a minimum wage job over no job and benefits. Also I have skills, trained in two trades to be exact so there’s no reason why I would have to take a minimum wage job anyway. It’s not even the reason I wouldn’t swap places. My life is here in Warwickshire and if it come to the crunch I would take a minimum pay job in Warwickshire if my only other choice was benefits the same as I would if my life was in Cornwall. I wouldn’t swap places with someone in Cornwall same as I wouldn’t swap with someone in Chelsea and Kensington.

martcov

Especially to prove a 'Mart' fact is wrong as usual.

When did you last succeed in that?Your last clip proved that our fishing depended on selling 70% of the catch to the EU. You then didn’t answer my question as to how much of UK GDP the fishing industry represented. You didn’t comment on my point about the uncertainty that Brexit was causing the fish processing industry or their staffing problems.

martcov

Since the UK paid much more into the fund than it paid back it means the money came 100% from the UK.

If the UK GDP drops as a result of Brexit as most predict, do you think the government will support the regions more? The EU does try and support the regions that are struggling. You can argue that some projects are not effective enough, but there is no guarantee that the UK government will replace EU funded projects with anything better. In fact, judging by vast regional disparities in Britain, the government has a bad record of helping many areas. How does leaving help the people in those regions that did get EU support?

skybluetony176

If the UK GDP drops as a result of Brexit as most predict, do you think the government will support the regions more? The EU does try and support the regions that are struggling. You can argue that some projects are not effective enough, but there is no guarantee that the UK government will replace EU funded projects with anything better. In fact, judging by vast regional disparities in Britain, the government has a bad record of helping many areas. How does leaving help the people in those regions that did get EU support?

A lot of if not most of the money that the government spends on delivering fibre optic speed broadband comes from European funding especially in rural areas. It will cost an estimated £13B to roll out fibre optics nationwide. Which with the benefits to business you would think that (especially when compared to other government projects) would be small fry and help create much needed jobs in rural areas nationwide. Which begs the question why will the government replace the EU money when if they seen it as a priority it wouldn’t be needed in the first place?

Last edited:

Astute

The CBI estimate that the net benefit to the UK of EU membership is around 4-5% of GDP or £62bn-£78bn a year. We get more back than we pay in. I can't believe some of this stuff I'm reading here.
Would you like to explain how much cash it is worth and how that cash comes about?

So then tell me how much it would be worth when we are out of the EU and not paying many billions for the privilege.

I can't believe some of the stuff I read on here either. It is as though you believe this amount will be zero once we leave the EU.

Astute

They benefit from having a job. Let’s see how it pans out after we leave and see if they would prefer a minimum wage job over no job and benefits. Also I have skills, trained in two trades to be exact so there’s no reason why I would have to take a minimum wage job anyway. It’s not even the reason I wouldn’t swap places. My life is here in Warwickshire and if it come to the crunch I would take a minimum pay job in Warwickshire if my only other choice was benefits the same as I would if my life was in Cornwall. I wouldn’t swap places with someone in Cornwall same as I wouldn’t swap with someone in Chelsea and Kensington.
There is you in one sentence. You have skills so you don't care. I also have skills. I had to train whilst working up to 80 hours a week. I know how hard it is. I have never forgotten. That is why I do care.

Astute

When did you last succeed in that?Your last clip proved that our fishing depended on selling 70% of the catch to the EU. You then didn’t answer my question as to how much of UK GDP the fishing industry represented. You didn’t comment on my point about the uncertainty that Brexit was causing the fish processing industry or their staffing problems.
And why is that Mart?

We are not allowed to catch the fish we want in our own water. We are reduced to catching what they want in the EU. And even then the French hate it. Or have you forgotten what happened recently? Most of the fish some EU countries catch is in our water. All down to EU rules. Fantastic eh?

There is another 'Mart' fact for us.

Astute

A lot of if not most of the money that the government spends on delivering fibre optic speed broadband comes from European funding especially in rural areas. It will cost an estimated £13B to roll out fibre optics nationwide. Which with the benefits to business you would think that (especially when compared to other government projects) would be small fry and help create much needed jobs in rural areas nationwide. Which begs the question why will the government replace the EU money when if they seen it as a priority it wouldn’t be needed in the first place?
So we should praise the EU as it (we) paid for what should have been paid for with the money that went to the shareholders instead.

You tell us you are skilled. How good is your pension? I have a good one. Been paying into it since I was in my 20's. But if I worked for the EU I would have got more after just a few years. It costs nearly 2 billion a year IIRC. And the cost goes up every year.

skybluetony176

There is you in one sentence. You have skills so you don't care. I also have skills. I had to train whilst working up to 80 hours a week. I know how hard it is. I have never forgotten. That is why I do care.

Where have I said I don’t care? Twisting again.

martcov

And why is that Mart?

We are not allowed to catch the fish we want in our own water. We are reduced to catching what they want in the EU. And even then the French hate it. Or have you forgotten what happened recently? Most of the fish some EU countries catch is in our water. All down to EU rules. Fantastic eh?

There is another 'Mart' fact for us.

I didn’t know that we weren’t allowed to catch fish for our markets and were forced to sell 70 to 80% to the EU. I doubt whether it’s that simple. Here’s an article that explains the complexities, including the fact that some of our fishermen sold their quotas to a handful of big companies and that the EU have given grants to some of our small fishers: Propaganda delivered the Brexit vote but it can’t land more fish | Polly Toynbee

Maybe you can see that things aren’t as simple as you make out..... and that I was right about the concerns of our fish processing companies. So, not a good example of proving „Mart facts“ wrong. As usual.

Grendel

Christ Polly Toynbee

Users who are viewing this thread