The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (38 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David O'Day

Thank you Mark for removing the vile racist posts by ADM. Even sadder that he thinks racist comments about someone who isn't even involved in the conversation are ok.

Anyone defended the posts is basically a racist as well.

David O'Day

Shame on the doubters. Boris lad has achieved unity between the various political parties in Northern Ireland

They all think he’s a c**t.

Great international diplomacy given that no matter how much Grenners and his "friends" cry about it Sinn Fein are likely to have the Taoiseach and First Minister soon enough,

clint van damme

Shame on the doubters. Boris lad has achieved unity between the various political parties in Northern Ireland

They all think he’s a c**t.

His habit of saying what he thinks the room he's talking to wants to hear is coming back to bite him.
He either reneges on an international agreement and potentially starts a damaging trade war in the middle of a cost living crisis or falls out with the DUP and by extension the ERG.
He's going to have to start acting like a proper politician to sort this one.

skybluetony176

His habit of saying what he thinks the room he's talking to wants to hear is coming back to bite him.
He either reneges on an international agreement and potentially starts a damaging trade war in the middle of a cost living crisis or falls out with the DUP and by extension the ERG.
He's going to have to start acting like a proper politician to sort this one.
If he starts the trade war he’s probably going to have to break the GFA to do it, which again is reneging on an international deal, ratified by the USA and the prospect of pissing off both republicans and democrats in the process scuppering any trade deal with the US. He’s well and truly backed himself in a corner. The only real way out of it is alignment with EU standards so the UK as a whole has the best of both worlds and in actual fact delivers the Brexit promised in the campaign, helps grow the UK economy as a whole when it’s sorely needed, might help out farmers and fishermen with exports to the EU and help undo some of the damage caused to UK business by brexit.

Last edited:

clint van damme

If he starts the trade was he’s probably going to have to break the GFA to do it, which again is reneging on an international deal, ratified by the USA and the prospect of pissing off both republicans and democrats in the process scuppering any trade deal with the US. He’s well and truly backed himself in a corner. The only real way out of it is alignment with EU standards so the UK as a whole has the best of both worlds and in actual fact delivers the Brexit promised in the campaign, helps grow the UK economy as a whole when it’s sorely needed, might help out farmers and fishermen with exports to the EU and help undo some of the damage caused to UK business by brexit.

And alligning with EU standards will put a major road block in the way of a US trade deal.

Grendel

Thank you Mark for removing the vile racist posts by ADM. Even sadder that he thinks racist comments about someone who isn't even involved in the conversation are ok.

Anyone defended the posts is basically a racist as well.

I’m afraid this forum plummets new depths.

It’s relied on Birmingham to play football and when playing there you thought it was ever so funny to put an avatar of a terrorist and a murderer who lauded over the deaths of innocent people on a night out in the Bull Ring

@mark82 to succumb to this wanker and allow him the oxygen of publicity and to gloat and glorify the IRA well good luck with the one.

Just pathetic really

Sky Blue Pete

It’s relied on Birmingham to play football and when playing there you thought it was ever so funny to put an avatar of a terrorist and a murderer who lauded over the deaths of innocent people on a night out in the Bull Ring

@mark82 to succumb to this wanker and allow him the oxygen of publicity and to gloat and glorify the IRA well good luck with the one.

Just pathetic really
Is this gammon behaviour? I don’t know I’m just wondering?

skybluetony176

Just pathetic really

D83F7F66-0373-4871-91B6-1F2205498D46.gif

CCFCSteve

If he starts the trade was he’s probably going to have to break the GFA to do it, which again is reneging on an international deal, ratified by the USA and the prospect of pissing off both republicans and democrats in the process scuppering any trade deal with the US. He’s well and truly backed himself in a corner. The only real way out of it is alignment with EU standards so the UK as a whole has the best of both worlds and in actual fact delivers the Brexit promised in the campaign, helps grow the UK economy as a whole when it’s sorely needed, might help out farmers and fishermen with exports to the EU and help undo some of the damage caused to UK business by brexit.

Yeah, surely there’s a deal to be done. I’m a simple man but as I’ve said before I’d have thought an agreement to align on say food/medical standards (which I understand are the main issues although I might be wrong) and if there’s changes in future following trade agreements with other countries then those specific items will need some form of checking.

It sounds like legislation isn’t going to be presented for a few weeks so hopefully both sides see sense, show some flexibility and come to an amicable agreement.

clint van damme

Yeah, surely there’s a deal to be done. I’m a simple man but as I’ve said before I’d have thought an agreement to align on say food/medical standards (which I understand are the main issues although I might be wrong) and if there’s changes in future following trade agreements with other countries then those specific items will need some form of checking.

It sounds like legislation isn’t going to be presented for a few weeks so hopefully both sides see sense, show some flexibility and come to an amicable agreement.

The DUP have said legislation won't get them back into Stormont

CCFCSteve

The DUP have said legislation won't get them back into Stormont

Let’s hope they can all reach an agreement then ! I was reading about the key points likely to be included in the legislation yesterday and it didn’t look unreasonable, but as you say, kind of irrelevant if DUP aren’t budging.

Sounds like the GFA also needs amending if Alliance are now a prominent party (talking about something I know little about though).

skybluetony176

The EU have already given a concession on medicine when it became apparent that people in NI would struggle to get prescriptions. So contrary to the Tory BS the EU is being flexible. The problem for Boris is that he has lied repeatedly about the NI question and contradicted himself depending on the room. First thing that Boris needs to start playing with a straight bat and talk in good faith to the all the NI parties, the EU and the wider UK public. The UK as a whole needs to compromise, the NI problem is the UK as a whole problem.

CCFCSteve

The EU have already given a concession on medicine when it became apparent that people in NI would struggle to get prescriptions. So contrary to the Tory BS the EU is being flexible. The problem for Boris is that he has lied repeatedly about the NI question and contradicted himself depending on the room. First thing that Boris needs to start playing with a straight bat and talk in good faith to the all the NI parties, the EU and the wider UK public. The UK as a whole needs to compromise, the NI problem is the UK as a whole problem.

There will need to be more flexibility on both sides to get to an agreement

David O'Day

So putting Gerry Adams as avatar is the most disgusting behaviour imaginable yet continually posting a Gerry Adams gif is great banter?

I live in his head

But I would say spouting racist nonsense is a far worse crime that use a profile picture to nause up an anti Irish bigot.

I do hope he's crying

skybluetony176

There will need to be more flexibility on both sides to get to an agreement
Some on the government’s and DUP’s side would be a start. As I pointed out, the EU already has been when presented with a relevant fact based argument. IIRC they even voted through a change in EU law to facilitate it.

CCFCSteve

I think this sums up Boris’ first hurdle better than I can

Don’t disagree with this. Trust is a key requirement in sorting not just the protocol but to forge a better longer term relationship between UK/EU….and there is none. Johnson has definitely exacerbated the situation and I wonder if the relationship can ever truly be repaired whilst he’s around.

Finding an amicable solution to the protocol might be a good step towards a better relationship, however, it goes without saying, if legislation is passed and implemented, it could be fucked for some time. As I said yesterday, with a bit of will on all sides I’m sure there’s a solution

Sick Boy

Don’t disagree with this. Trust is a key requirement in sorting not just the protocol but to forge a better longer term relationship between UK/EU….and there is none. Johnson has definitely exacerbated the situation and I wonder if the relationship can ever truly be repaired whilst he’s around.

De Pfeffel's government wants/needs to have constant battles with EU to appeal to its core base.

Finding an amicable solution to the protocol might be a good step towards a better relationship, however, it goes without saying, if legislation is passed and implemented, it could be fucked for some time. As I said yesterday, with a bit of will on all sides I’m sure there’s a solution.
The way they go on you'd think it was something imposed on the UK against its will; this government negotiated it and signed up to it.

skybluetony176

De Pfeffel's government wants/needs to have constant battles with EU to appeal to its core base.

The way they go on you'd think it was something imposed on the UK against its will; this government negotiated it and signed up to it.
People told them they wouldn’t get the deal. Boris said he’s got that deal, it’s an excellent deal, it’s an oven ready deal just pop it in the microwave. Boris, yeah I didn’t get the deal.

I’d say it’s shocking how quickly this deal has fallen apart at the seems but it really isn’t. Boris now having to admit it was a bad deal but he didn’t expect the EU to stick to an international agreement. Why?

NorthernWisdom

Finding an amicable solution to the protocol might be a good step towards a better relationship, however, it goes without saying, if legislation is passed and implemented, it could be fucked for some time. As I said yesterday, with a bit of will on all sides I’m sure there’s a solution
Problem is, would you trust Johnson to keep to this week's solution further down the line, when it didn't suit him anymore?

As you say, he's a total joke really. Somebody once said if you buddy up with him he'll drag you into the gutter, but come out smelling of roses himself. Some of his cabinet members would do well to remember that.

Boris now having to admit it was a bad deal but he didn’t expect the EU to stick to an international agreement. Why?

Insight into how much he's to be trusted himself, innit.

skybluetony176

Problem is, would you trust Johnson to keep to this week's solution further down the line, when it didn't suit him anymore?

As you say, he's a total joke really. Somebody once said if you buddy up with him he'll drag you into the gutter, but come out smelling of roses himself. Some of his cabinet members would do well to remember that.

Insight into how much he's to be trusted himself, innit.
It’s complete man child bollocks. How did he genuinely come to the conclusion that he could sign an international trade deal that no one would implement? Someone please explain it to me.

Last edited:

David O'Day

If the EU does do a targeted trade war against the UK the Biden administration is just going to back the EU.

It's madness

Sick Boy

If the EU does do a targeted trade war against the UK the Biden administration is just going to back the EU.

It's madness
It suits this government to have an ongoing conflict with the EU.
The problem is that the EU isn't going to trust the government to not start finding a reason to be unhappy with any changes that are made in a couple of years.

CCFCSteve

there you go, the EU have basically said they are going to hit us with a trade war we can't win

Posturing on both sides. Neither side wants the protocol to be totally scrapped (well, apart from DUP maybe) or needs a trade war, especially at the moment with the war, out of control inflation and potential recession

David O'Day

Posturing on both sides. Neither side wants the protocol to be totally scrapped (well, apart from DUP maybe) or needs a trade war, especially at the moment with the war, out of control inflation and potential recession

The Tories have announced a bill basically scraps the protocol and the EU have said they still want to talk as they think they can sort it out and keep the protocol.

It's not posturing on both sides.

clint van damme

The DUP don't care about the economy and the implications for the people of NI.
Their refusal to form an executive means money ring fenced for cutting NHS waiting lists can't be allocated. When parties involved are that entrenched give and take is very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread