The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (80 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sky Blue Pete

Does beg the question when an appropriate comparison is, mind you. March, April last year were a total shit-show whereas now they're functioning to a degree, so you'd expect an increase in exports then but, that'd be despite of Brexit rather than because of. Clearly Jan last year to this isn'ta fair comparison, either.

The pandemic's come at an ideal time for all this(!)
There’s always an excuse if people are willing to allow you to get away with stuff

clint van damme

Does beg the question when an appropriate comparison is, mind you. March, April last year were a total shit-show whereas now they're functioning to a degree, so you'd expect an increase in exports then but, that'd be despite of Brexit rather than because of. Clearly Jan last year to this isn'ta fair comparison, either.

The pandemic's come at an ideal time for all this(!)

It mention this in the article or perhaps in the article on it I read and one of those interviewed dismissed it but you have to think it would be a factor.

PVA

Am I right in thinking that a country that helped shape how EU would enact laws to third countries, then voted to become a third country, is now complaining that the EU is now applying laws (that it helped to create) to a third country?

Yep! The turkeys voted for Christmas and are now apparently surprised that they're about to have their heads chopped off.

PVA

The good news stories just keep rolling in!

Funny how this thread/forum was 56% leave yet there is barely a Leaver in here trying to defend this.

In a few years time it'll be like the Iraq war. Everyone that was for it at the time wants nothing to do with it years later and pretends they were against it at the time. You'll be hard pushed to find someone who admitted voting Leave in 20 years time.

NorthernWisdom

skybluetony176

A small aside, but some of the best fish and chips I've had were in Newlyn. They had on the menu whatever was fresh off the boats, so it was John Dory and chips, and it was fantastic.
Had similar in Rye many years ago before turning veggie. Don’t recall what fish it was but it had been caught that day and landed in Rye harbour and not something you would see on a chippy menu anywhere else. It was advertised as tastier than cod and it was by a long shot.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The good news stories just keep rolling in!

Funny how this thread/forum was 56% leave yet there is barely a Leaver in here trying to defend this.

In a few years time it'll be like the Iraq war. Everyone that was for it at the time wants nothing to do with it years later and pretends they were against it at the time. You'll be hard pushed to find someone who admitted voting Leave in 20 years time.

The reason there are almost no leave voters on this thread is because they have watched five years of bedwetting happen and whenever they have tried to have a rational debate, they have been shot down or piled on for having a different opinion.

This thread will still be going in ten years time with certain people desperate to find small victories to try and preserve their egos because they still cannot hack that they lost a vote back in 2016. Amazingly they are unaware that the same sneering and arrogance contributed to their loss.

Even the most respectful of leave voters have generally taken their ball to go and play somewhere else, and who can blame them? The state of this thread is a joke. The lack of self-awareness such as your post just proves my point entirely though. It is also one of the most taboo subjects I've encountered in my lifetime, and in public people seldom talk about it. Of course, both sides are to blame for that, however, as someone who was extremely on the fence at the time of the vote, I can say with absolute confidence that 80% of the people I was talking with about the vote who got angry with my view point, quote: 'The EU does some good things, but it also does some bad things', were remain voters who started the insults and the bullying. I've been open enough to say that contributed to me going the other way, and perhaps if people like you were more fair and adult, not only wouldn't you have lost, but you might actually have some people thinking it is worth their time trying to have an open and honest debate.

Brighton Sky Blue

The reason there are almost no leave voters on this thread is because they have watched five years of bedwetting happen and whenever they have tried to have a rational debate, they have been shot down or piled on for having a different opinion.

This thread will still be going in ten years time with certain people desperate to find small victories to try and preserve their egos because they still cannot hack that they lost a vote back in 2016. Amazingly they are unaware that the same sneering and arrogance contributed to their loss.

Even the most respectful of leave voters have generally taken their ball to go and play somewhere else, and who can blame them? The state of this thread is a joke. The lack of self-awareness such as your post just proves my point entirely though. It is also one of the most taboo subjects I've encountered in my lifetime, and in public people seldom talk about it. Of course, both sides are to blame for that, however, as someone who was extremely on the fence at the time of the vote, I can say with absolute confidence that 80% of the people I was talking with about the vote who got angry with my view point, quote: 'The EU does some good things, but it also does some bad things', were remain voters who started the insults and the bullying. I've been open enough to say that contributed to me going the other way, and perhaps if people like you were more fair and adult, not only wouldn't you have lost, but you might actually have some people thinking it is worth their time trying to have an open and honest debate.

I didn’t give much of a toss about the EU before 2016, and I didn’t understand those who seemed to have a visceral repulsion to it or those who were emotionally invested in the project. What I did see were snake oil salesmen seeking to blame the EU for British made problems in the same way that the navel gazing Scottish Indy supporters blame Westminster for everything.

The ultimate irony of course is that the vote meant to herald British sovereignty will prove to be the final nail in the union’s coffin.

clint van damme

yes, that's why there's no leave supporters on here.
Nothing to do with it going to shit.
And if things turn around and Brexit starts to deliver what we were promised i'm sure they'll stick to their guns and not revisit this thread.

NorthernWisdom

yes, that's why there's no leave supporters on here.
Nothing to do with it going to shit.
And if things turn around and Brexit starts to deliver what we were promised i'm sure they'll stick to their guns and not revisit this thread.
The glee with which some flew in when the EU were playing fast and loose with Northern Ireland shows, of course, that leavers are principled, honourable fellows, who piously keep away from talk about the EU for fear of upsetting those nasty remoaners.

Ian1779

To be honest I am long over it - the last 4 years has shown that the UK government is equally as corrupt as the EU one. It doesn’t matter where and how the land lies - the richest people will continue becoming even more so, and the poorest and most vulnerable will continue to get shafted by who governs them.

The notion we’ve taken back control only ever exists for an elite few. Everyone else has none.

skybluetony176

I think the reason leavers are leaving this thread well alone at the moment is because clearly people who have spent the last 4+ years saying “leave won, get over it” are too mature to come on here gloating about the sunlit uplands.

skybluetony176

The glee with which some flew in when the EU were playing fast and loose with Northern Ireland shows, of course, that leavers are principled, honourable fellows, who piously keep away from talk about the EU for fear of upsetting those nasty remoaners.
Come on. It’s not like the PM is threatening to trigger Article 16 himself.

skybluetony176

tomorrows FT

Early days but if this keeps on going like this someone needs to be held accountable.

I read something the other day about 7000 jobs in finance already moved to the EU in the last four years and the big players are looking at the next round of job moves earlier than expected. Project “fear” predicted 40000 lost U.K. jobs from the finance sector in London. Suddenly that’s looking tangible.

Bugsy

To be honest I am long over it - the last 4 years has shown that the UK government is equally as corrupt as the EU one. It doesn’t matter where and how the land lies - the richest people will continue becoming even more so, and the poorest and most vulnerable will continue to get shafted by who governs them.

The notion we’ve taken back control only ever exists for an elite few. Everyone else has none.

this is one excellent post (y)

CCFCSteve

I was desperately trying to avoid this thread but it’s like people are trying to goad anyone who voted leave to get back involved !! it is lockdown and people are bored and want an argument I guess 😊

Firstly, I think the above transcended Brexit to better fair NW. It did however show that maybe the EU never really gave a toss about Ireland/GFA even though it was used as a (if not the) major negotiation point of the withdrawal agreement and partially why we have issues in NI now. If peace in Ireland was a priority they would’ve at least called the Irish and UK governments before invoking article 16 (let alone followed proper procedure and given the proper notice !!!) That coupled with trying to bully AZ, threatening to block vaccine exports to the UK and then people like Macron saying AZ was quasi ineffective was more to do with some kind of vaccine rage, than Brexit. It did however show what the EU is like.

Highlighting the EU vaccine programme/numbers on a daily basis would be more Brexit related. This was something the EC insisted on controlling to the detriment of their individual members, however, I haven’t seen anyone bringing this up on a regular basis ? Nor did I see anyone shouting about us potentially joining trans pacific trade bloc (which if US joined as well could be significant), being forecast to grow well ahead of France in coming years (until I mentioned it the other day) etc etc. As indicated above most have probably left the thread as whichever side you were on, Brexit is done. If it’s a failure then at the next (or future) GE the public are within their rights to vote out Johnson for any lies or the mess he might’ve made of it. That’s what democracy is all about.

To answer Shmmeees question, are people who voted leave happy ?! Depends why they voted leave I guess. For me (a borderline leaver), it’s too early to say, it's going to take more than a month for everyone to get used to a new post brexit normal and depends if the NI position can be resolved amicably. Id always wanted close trading ties but probably also appreciated to have that we might have to accept uncontrolled freedom of movement which was a massive reason why people voted out. We’re just going to have to see how it pans out I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread