The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (17 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shmmeee

Turkey surprised me, are they using the Russian vaccine?

clint van damme

The most unforgivable things are the complete lack of joined up thinking and delaying decision making until there is no decision to make. Both connected.

For example, delaying closing schools. Both times they closed schools they let kids go in on the Monday before closing schools on the Tuesday. Both decisions needed making at the weekend. How many people caught the virus because they made the kids go on for one day? The first time you could argue that they didn’t have the benefit of hindsight, the second though...

The ignoring of the science while claiming you were following the science and failing to extend the autumn half term as a circuit breaker.

Xmas. If you’re going to let families mix at Xmas why didn’t they close schools a week early to give children and families who may have caught the virus but not showing symptoms to have the time to present symptoms before mixing with other people or if they remain asymptotic they pass the point of being able to transmit the virus before mixing.

Just the lack of common sense is scary.

Their seems yo be a narrative being created (There always is with the tories) that we've done well on vaccinating (Which in my opinion we undoubtedly have), so let's forget about everything else. Fuck that

clint van damme

This made me curious, so just downloaded the vaccination data for all the countries and looked at average daily doses per million:

countryvacc
Gibraltar
22490.8​
Seychelles
11284.81​
Israel
11137.37​
United Arab Emirates
8200.905​
Bermuda
4464​
Northern Cyprus
2893.25​
England
2477.667​
Bahrain
2403.357​
United Kingdom
2348.917​
Northern Ireland
2169​
Turkey
1785.385​
Wales
1724.14​
United States
1641.973​
Scotland
1621.721​
Isle of Man
1605.25​
Malta
1485.071​
Serbia
1373.056​
Denmark
1233.172​
Spain
1203.773​

We come off very very well. (I know you know this, just thought the data was interesting to see who else is at our level)

I don't know how accurate these vaccine predictors are But when vaccinations started by estimated time for first vaccine was between mid June to mid July, now it's so.e time in March.

That's a seriously impressive ramp up if accurate.

chiefdave

I don't know how accurate these vaccine predictors are But when vaccinations started by estimated time for first vaccine was between mid June to mid July, now it's so.e time in March.

That's a seriously impressive ramp up if accurate.
Are you using the OmniCalculator one? They update theirs with the number already done and change the rate used to calculate your estimate to what it is currently so is probably about as accurate you'll get.

Of course that relies on the current level being maintained which will depend on supply.

If you go right to the bottom of the page it tells you what's been updated.

clint van damme

Are you using the OmniCalculator one? They update theirs with the number already done and change the rate used to calculate your estimate to what it is currently so is probably about as accurate you'll get.

Of course that relies on the current level being maintained which will depend on supply.

If you go right to the bottom of the page it tells you what's been updated.

I did today though I don't know if that's the one I used originally.

CCFCSteve

Charming...

Britain is on a collision course with the European Union over vaccine shortages after Brussels refused to accept that people in the UK have first claim on Oxford/AstraZeneca doses produced in British plants. Stella Kyriakides, the EU’s health commissioner, said the UK should not earn any advantage from signing a contract with AstraZeneca early. “We reject the logic of first come, first served,” Kyriakides said. “That may work in a butcher’s shop but not in contracts and not in our advanced purchase agreements.” Peter Liese, an MEP from the German ruling party, foreshadowed a “trade war” if the EU found itself having to retaliate by blocking exports to the UK of the alternative “very good” BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine that is “produced in Europe, supported by European money … So the company [AstraZeneca] and the UK better think twice.”

Mr Liese appears to have forgotten that the UK also ordered Pfizer vaccine in the summer and approved it in start of Dec. EU ordered in November and only approved it at the back end of Dec. But I suppose you can just jump to the front of the queue if you’re the EU so it counts for nothing

Ive seen in another report that’s AZ have reminded the EU that they are doing all this not for profit and for the benefit of the wider word...ie not just the EU. They were also reminded yesterday that due to the UK signing up three months earlier that they were able to alleviate a number of the issues at the production sites during that period

Last edited:

clint van damme

Charming...

Britain is on a collision course with the European Union over vaccine shortages after Brussels refused to accept that people in the UK have first claim on Oxford/AstraZeneca doses produced in British plants. Stella Kyriakides, the EU’s health commissioner, said the UK should not earn any advantage from signing a contract with AstraZeneca early. “We reject the logic of first come, first served,” Kyriakides said. “That may work in a butcher’s shop but not in contracts and not in our advanced purchase agreements.” Peter Liese, an MEP from the German ruling party, foreshadowed a “trade war” if the EU found itself having to retaliate by blocking exports to the UK of the alternative “very good” BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine that is “produced in Europe, supported by European money … So the company [AstraZeneca] and the UK better think twice.”

Mr Liese appears to have forgotten that the UK also ordered Pfizer vaccine in the summer and approved it in start of Dec. EU ordered in November and only approved it at the back end of Dec. But I suppose you can just jump to the front of the queue if you’re the EU so it counts for nothing

Ive seen in another report that’s AZ have reminded the EU that they are doing all this not for profit and for the benefit of the wider word...ie not just the EU

that's appalling. One big call our government got right was pre ordering large quantities of these vaccines before we even knew if they'd work. It could have backfired so the UK should definitely earn an advantage from the risk taken.

Where are those quotes from Steve?

chiefdave

I understand they're annoyed if they throught they were getting doses and now aren't but surely the same applies to everyone around the world and other countries seem to be accepting it and waiting their turn. “We reject the logic of first come, first served” is a hell of a quote.

Are they suggesting every other country ordered on a cross your fingers and hope it gets delivered at some point basis? Not to mention the fact we ordered months ahead of them and the vaccine development was funded by government grants.

If they keep on like this they'll have the remainers celebrating the fact we left!

CCFCSteve

that's appalling. One big call our government got right was pre ordering large quantities of these vaccines before we even knew if they'd work. It could have backfired so the UK should definitely earn an advantage from the risk taken.

Where are those quotes from Steve?

Guardian overview article mate, there’s a couple of other more detailed ones but this captured the main quotes

CCFCSteve

I understand they're annoyed if they throught they were getting doses and now aren't but surely the same applies to everyone around the world and other countries seem to be accepting it and waiting their turn. “We reject the logic of first come, first served” is a hell of a quote.

Are they suggesting every other country ordered on a cross your fingers and hope it gets delivered at some point basis? Not to mention the fact we ordered months ahead of them and the vaccine development was funded by government grants.

If they keep on like this they'll have the remainers celebrating the fact we left!

Exactly Dave, we’re owed a load of doses ourselves. And we signed it off a month a ago. It took a couple of weeks to get it up to 2m per week

I’m not going to get into whole EU debate again, as it’s been done to death. we’ve seen their bullying before though but this is another level

chiefdave

Exactly, remember the discussion on the covid thread that if they turned out to be useless we'd wasted a fortune as we had commited to pay. Even if the EU did also commit in advance they did it months after other countries, I can't see any reason they should now be at the front of the queue.

CCFCSteve

Thing is I do sympathise, they were trying to do it as a bloc so everyone was treated equally but ultimately they dragged their feet, tried to keep everyone (French by all accounts) happy and they are where they are. Also I presume Pfizer has supplied the EU with far more vaccines even though we ordered way in advance ?! They appear to have ignored that fact as well

Edit - quote from EU statement after finalising Vaccine order in Nov. No to vaccine nationalism, yes to vaccine multilateralism
(not a laughing matter but not aged well)

‘However, we will only benefit from these ground-breaking achievements if we avoid ‘vaccine nationalism’, where countries unduly restrict access to vaccines. Indeed, the risk is that, as usual, the strongest and richest wrestle themselves to the front of the queue.’

chiefdave

Also I presume Pfizer has supplied the EU with far more vaccines even though we ordered way in advance ?! They appear to have ignored that fact as well
Or maybe not.
BBC said:
The EU - which has been criticised for the slow rollout of its inoculations - is also facing delays with supplies of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. The bloc has a much bigger deal with the US-German vaccine-maker.
From what I can make out they've ordered 600 million doses of the Pfizer, half of their total expected output and 400 million doses of the Astra among an order of 2.3 billion doses, for a population of 450 million.

We've ordered 30 million of the Pfizer and 100 million of the Astra and did it months before the EU but somehow they're trying to make out we're the ones taking more than our fair share. That's before you even consider that we invested in the vaccines development and as part of that deal Astra agreed to supply developing countries that can't afford to buy the vaccine. And of course we have approved both and are already into a vaccination program.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agreed.

My preconception so far is that EU hasn’t learned the lessons it has needed to from Brexit. In fact, the ‘pooling our sovereignty’ quote after the EU-UK deal was made suggested the opposite.

This episode, despite the good cause for grievances with the vaccine manufacturers, demonstrates a mean streak considering it’s own failures in addressing the COVID pandemic.

PVA

I appreciate your reply, but that is a prime example of a politically motivated fact check. It's not even close to being the full story.

The reason we were able to go faster was because we were not part of the EMA APA, which prevents EU participants from procuring outside of EMA approval. Why weren't we? Brexit.

It's quite simply as straight forward as that.

This is false.

It has nothing to do with Brexit.It could have been done while still in the EU as well.

Sorry to break it to you.

PVA

But but Johnson said there would be no Irish border.

Surely he couldn't have been lying? Johnson, lying? Surely not!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But but Johnson said there would be no Irish border.

Surely he couldn't have been lying? Johnson, lying? Surely not!

The man must be immortal. He said he'd be dead in a ditch before allowing an extension of Brexit too.

Oh, and we've got him lying in front of the bulldozers at Heathrow to look forward to as well. Though when he said that he probably meant he'd stand there and tell porkies.

CCFCSteve

#takingbackcontrol

Yeah, it really reflects well that the EU are trying to make it as difficult as possible for trade between the UK/NI (as they are at other borders) in the middle of a pandemic.

While to date we appear to be trying to protect the GFA and work within the agreement (and refusing calls to breach protocol) as well as being flexible with EU exporters, we saw on Friday how much the EU really cares about Ireland and the GFA when it invoked article 16 without even a call to the Irish or UK/NI governments.

I try to avoid this thread now because if I start writing I probably won’t be able to stop !!! All I would say though is that if people really can’t see what a protectionist, bureaucratic bully the EU is after last week, there is little point in even debating.

If people really want to still be a part of that, that’s their call but maybe now at least accept why many dont (I say that as someone who was borderline Remain/Leave right up to the vote)....I’m not convinced the EU making it as difficult as possible to trade with them will change many minds either.

clint van damme

Yeah, it really reflects well that the EU are trying to make it as difficult as possible for trade between the UK/NI (as they are at other borders) in the middle of a pandemic.

While to date we appear to be trying to protect the GFA and work within the agreement (and refusing calls to breach protocol) as well as being flexible with EU exporters, we saw on Friday how much the EU really cares about Ireland and the GFA when it invoked article 16 without even a call to the Irish or UK/NI governments.

I try to avoid this thread now because if I start writing I probably won’t be able to stop !!! All I would say though is that if people really can’t see what a protectionist, bureaucratic bully the EU is after last week, there is little point in even debating.

If people really want to still be a part of that, that’s their call but maybe now at least accept why many dont (I say that as someone who was borderline Remain/Leave right up to the vote)....I’m not convinced the EU making it as difficult as possible to trade with them will change many minds either.

This was part of the deal negotiated by this government Steve.
But Johnson lied to the people of NI and now there is what looks like paramilitary activity against Port workers.
This was always going to happen. People have been predicting it from day one.

The fact the EU were quick out of the blocks to threaten triggering article 16 doesn't alter that.
Nor do the actions of our government excuse them for trying to weaponise it.

Users who are viewing this thread