The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (51 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grendel

Why will it?

Er they will want to stay in the EU therefore the rest of the uk will as a non Eu country have a hard border with it so any goods going into and out of England will have the same issues as flowing through the two Irish countries

skybluetony176

Er they will want to stay in the EU therefore the rest of the uk will as a non Eu country have a hard border with it so any goods going into and out of England will have the same issues as flowing through the two Irish countries

So only in a no deal situation then. It’s not a given.

Grendel

So only in a no deal situation then. It’s not a given.

But the argument from Scotland is the harder the brexit the greater the argument for self governance

skybluetony176

But the argument from Scotland is the harder the brexit the greater the argument for self governance

Scotland as a stand-alone country is a nett receiver from the EU and by some distance compared to what it puts in. Any Brexit is an argument for independence from the U.K. for Scotland, WTO or not. Even since the referendum EU membership has become more attractive to Scotland with EU trade deals with Japan and Canada being especially attractive.

Grendel

Scotland as a stand-alone country is a nett receiver from the EU and by some distance compared to what it puts in. Any Brexit is an argument for independence from the U.K. for Scotland, WTO or not. Even since the referendum EU membership has become more attractive to Scotland with EU trade deals with Japan and Canada being especially attractive.

Isn’t 60% of trade from Scotland into other areas of the UK?

Grendel

Northern Ireland being the biggest part of that and Northern Ireland looking more likely to stay the n the EU than Scotland at the moment. Another incentive for Scottish independence.

Are they? And what is the split exactly?

Astute

No. You made that up.

No country wants to leave the EU ( apart from the UK ). No country wants to power back. Where are you getting your facts from?
Made what up?

So you are changing the subject again. Did the EU break EU law to appoint Selmayr. Yes or no. You have made out they didn't. Just be straight to the point.

So what have i made up? It isn't me who makes things up.

The leaders of the countries in the EU want to take power back. True. They have had enough of the way it is run. They want reforms. The only reform on offer is what keeps those in power who elect each other in. It backfired badly with Selmayr. They have kept it as a closed shop as you are supposed to have a certain position to be able to go for other positions. This is how they control who gets what. But Selmayr didn't have that position. So they gave him the position needed then 10 minutes later gave him the position they wanted him to have.

Astute

No we don’t. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland has a second tier government that England doesn’t. Hence we don’t all have the same rules.
So what rules are different?

Can they set their own budgets?

Can they raise their own taxes?

What can they do?

Astute

I'm not arguing that the Scottish independence movement is full of inconsistencies in being anti-UK but wanting to stay in the EU. It wasn't long ago Salmond et al were saying they'd reject the pound and take the Euro. Then the Euro crashed and suddenly they wanted to keep the pound. If after Brexit the pound is badly affected expect them to change their mind again.

It's a thing I don't get about many of those favouring leave. They don't want interference from the EU but most are fundamentally opposed to Scottish independence and the break up of the UK would be a terrible thing. They can't see that those Scots favouring independence see the UK in the same way as Leavers see the EU - interfering in their own affairs.

It's looking at parallels to the situation at different scales. Maybe we should look to leave the UN because it interferes in how each individual nation chooses to act?
Scotland were offered a referendum on to stay or leave. They chose to stay. If they chose to leave they would hapve left.

martcov

Martcov has been cheering on Scotland to independence on this very thread for Scotland which will mean hard borders and WTO terms

I am not cheering it on. I can see their point though ( SNP ). Brexit is an English thing primarily and I don’t agree with the, largely elderly, English Brexit voters pulling Scotland out of the EU. It is the ultimate hypocrisy given all the Farage crap about sovereignty and being ruled from a foreign city.

Any hard borders caused by Brexit directly, or indirectly, are a bad thing.

But, they are the responsibility of the Brexit voters. They wanted control of their borders, they wanted their independent country with control of their money. It would be poetic justice if the UK collapsed into 4 countries with all the extra controls and bureaucracy. Especially if all 3 smaller parts of the UK stayed in the EU. The ultimate Brexit, am independent, sovereign England with the Farage Party holding the majority in the English Parliament.

martcov

Made what up?

So you are changing the subject again. Did the EU break EU law to appoint Selmayr. Yes or no. You have made out they didn't. Just be straight to the point.

So what have i made up? It isn't me who makes things up.

The leaders of the countries in the EU want to take power back. True. They have had enough of the way it is run. They want reforms. The only reform on offer is what keeps those in power who elect each other in. It backfired badly with Selmayr. They have kept it as a closed shop as you are supposed to have a certain position to be able to go for other positions. This is how they control who gets what. But Selmayr didn't have that position. So they gave him the position needed then 10 minutes later gave him the position they wanted him to have.

You made up my thoughts.

I have not made out they didn’t. I said what happened. They used the emergency way of appointment. Which is a rule. But were found to have concocted the emergency to fit the rule. Which was originally claimed to be bending the law to the limit, but in the final ombudsman‘s report, was found to have actually broken the law.

But, you have distracted from my criticism and not showed me an example of a country wanting powers back, or which powers you claim countries want back. You haven’t acknowledged Juncker‘s reforms or attempted reforms having said he doesn’t want reforms. You have told me which powers Merkel wants back and who is stopping her getting them back.

You keep on about „them“ and carry on the Farage cliches.

Grendel

I am not cheering it on. I can see their point though ( SNP ). Brexit is an English thing primarily and I don’t agree with the, largely elderly, English Brexit voters pulling Scotland out of the EU. It is the ultimate hypocrisy given all the Farage crap about sovereignty and being ruled from a foreign city.

Any hard borders caused by Brexit directly, or indirectly, are a bad thing.

But, they are the responsibility of the Brexit voters. They wanted control of their borders, they wanted their independent country with control of their money. It would be poetic justice if the UK collapsed into 4 countries with all the extra controls and bureaucracy. Especially if all 3 smaller parts of the UK stayed in the EU. The ultimate Brexit, am independent, sovereign England with the Farage Party holding the majority in the English Parliament.

You really are the gift that truly keeps on giving

martcov

So what rules are different?

Can they set their own budgets?

Can they raise their own taxes?

What can they do?

Since 2018: The new powers devolved to the Scottish Parliament include: a new Scottish rate of income tax to be in place from April 2016. new borrowing powers for the Scottish Government. ... the power to introduce new taxes, subject to agreement of the UK Government.

martcov

You really are the gift that truly keeps on giving

In what way? I have been to a funeral and listened to the older people and to the younger ones in my own family. The older ones were Farage and Johnson fans, and the younger ones were mainly remain. It was crass. The ones no longer economically involved, in the sense of earning a living, voting for something that will primarily have a negative effect on the people earning a living and paying their pensions.

My family seems to confirm the statistics of the leave vote.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

In what way? I have been to a funeral and listened to the older people and to the younger ones in my own family. The older ones were Farage and Johnson fans, and the younger ones were mainly remain. It was crass. The ones no longer economically involved, in the sense of earning a living, voting for something that will primarily have a negative effect on the people earning a living and paying their pensions.

Jesus Christ, you're still banging on and convincing no one. Go and join a local club or something.

Grendel

Oh of course you have - so now you are polling people grieving at a funeral you really need therapy away from here

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Oh of course you have - so now you are polling people grieving at a funeral you really need therapy away from here
You'd actually like to think it was bullshit on this occasion .

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Even he wouldn't stoop this low.

Grendel

Even he wouldn't stoop this low.

You can imaging can’t you he’s strolling up to people and them trying to escape

“Don’t leave me with that mad fucker he’ll be boring the arse of us about bloody brexit again”

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You can imaging can’t you he’s strolling up to people and them trying to escape

“Don’t leave me with that mad fucker he’ll be boring the arse of us about bloody brexit again”
He could have asked if anyone needed life cover.....

SkyblueBazza

Funny how the net-receivers (not just Scotland) are so positive EU isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread