The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (61 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mucca Mad Boys

The combination of labour and liberal or “other” parties in England has always been around the same percentage since the war. The Tory vote in most elections has a consistent share with a couple of exceptions

Why have you looped Labour, Lib and 'other' parties in together? I may as well as reply 'if you combine every party's vote share, you reach 100% of the vote'. It's stating the obvious, frankly.

Before 2017, the last time the Tories won more than 40% in a GE was in 1992, and you have to go back to 1983 find a better vote share than 2017. The result from 2017 was very peculiar.

martcov

But they Do sell the stock. They still make money. They don't flush it down the bog to they? In fact, would be nice to want something without being told we have to order it in. Can't see your point.

Cashflow. Borrowing costs. Unnecessary storage costs.

RegTheDonk

Who bank rolls it? Have you heard the term cash flow before?
Yes, if flows from my bank into the wifes purse.

Look, whoever bank rolls it will charge a sum. Whovever owns the warehouse will charge a sum. So sum ones cash flow is OK. One business pays out, but two make money for providing a service. I thought businesses' were losing millions because of Brixit? Some obviously seem to be profiting.

Astute

I didn't quote an opinion poll, use of 42.4% for the Tories and 40% for Labour is the 2017 General Election result, which again is not an opinion poll. There's not really much you can argue with here.

I may as well quote polls since you insist I have, and the polls show a drop in support for Lab/Con and have them pretty even. So your argument that Labour has little/no support outside of its hardcore support is not backed up by anything. Not by current opinion polls nor, more importantly, the last GE election.
Do I need to quote what you said again?

Why did you say Labour had 40% support, mention a poll and that you don't exactly trust polls in the same sentence then try to say you meant in the last GE?

Are you just another account from one of those who keep trying to take the piss out if me that I am now ignoring? Because you have been no better the last day. Everyone can and has read what you said.

Astute

Yes. It does. Record employment when you count zero hours jobs and part time jobs.
Stupid me. Looked at this post and can't resist correcting false information.

Zero hour jobs have been reduced at the same time record employment has gone higher. But you will think of a way to twist it. You always do.

skybluetony176

Yes, if flows from my bank into the wifes purse.

Look, whoever bank rolls it will charge a sum. Whovever owns the warehouse will charge a sum. So sum ones cash flow is OK. One business pays out, but two make money for providing a service. I thought businesses' were losing millions because of Brixit? Some obviously seem to be profiting.

That’s not the point. If you sell 1000 washers every month you buy a 1000 washers every month. You probably buy them on a 30 day end of month account. In other words let’s say for example you take delivery on the 1st of January you have until the end of February to pay that bill. In the same period you’ve sold them and probably collected the money enabling you to pay your bill, staff, business rates, utilities, rent etc etc. Now all off a sudden you have to order 6 months worth but you still only get 30 days end of month and you’re not going to sell them for 6 months. Do you A) pay your bill B) pay your staff C) pay your business rates D) pay your utilities E) pay rent? Maybe you borrow some money to pay all of them. Is that service A) free or B) an expense? Maybe you don’t have room at your premises to store them so you need to rent space in a warehouse somewhere. Is that service A) free or B) an expense?

Astute

Why have you looped Labour, Lib and 'other' parties in together? I may as well as reply 'if you combine every party's vote share, you reach 100% of the vote'. It's stating the obvious, frankly.

Before 2017, the last time the Tories won more than 40% in a GE was in 1992, and you have to go back to 1983 find a better vote share than 2017. The result from 2017 was very peculiar.
What was peculiar?

Shows you don't know as much as you think you do. UKIP were not needed anymore. We were leaving the EU. So these people needed someone to vote for. And the Lib Dems were not going to get the vote of millions of people for jumping into bed with the Tories. So many more votes were available. Instead of having 3 bigger parties and UKIP it was suddenly down to Labour, the Tories and the also rans.

Things have now changed with Brexit. The Tories have May and Labour has Corbyn.

Or are you saying Corbyn is good for Labour and they don't have anyone better?

Sick Boy

Are you just another account from one of those who keep trying to take the piss out if me that I am now ignoring? Because you have been no better the last day. Everyone can and has read what you said.

It sounds like you’re on the edge, try to relax a bit. I’m not sure everyone is following your arguments either, btw

Mucca Mad Boys

Do I need to quote what you said again?

Why did you say Labour had 40% support, mention a poll and that you don't exactly trust polls in the same sentence then try to say you meant in the last GE?

Yes I think you do because you’ve clearly misinterpreted something I’ve said.

You said:

Tories will lose votes but Labour won't lose many at all. Labour doesn't have much more than the hard core Labour voters presently. Corbyn as leader hasn't got many floating voters on Labour's side. If he had Labour would be running away with it. But the longer this bullshit goes on for the more the Tory voters will desert them.

I’ve taken exception to this because the 2017 General Election proved this wrong. Firstly, Labour performed much higher than expected as the polls predicted a comprehensive win for the Conservatives with a 20%+ lead at some point. The result was a defeat by 2.4% — a 5% improvement for Labour on the 2010 and 2015 defeats. Secondly, 40% of voters in the 2017 election voted for Labour. Evidently, 40% of the population can’t be described as ‘hardcore’ voters as Labour (and Conservatives) picked up votes from somewhere hence you see them share 82.4% of the vote. To put that in perspective, you have to go back to 1970 for the last time Labour and Conservatives shared that much of the vote.

I never said I don’t trust polls, but they have to be treated carefully because they can have a high margin of error. Which is why expert pollsters say that general elections shouldn’t be called on the back of polling data. For example, some polling companies in recent polls haven’t got data or hasn’t polled on the following:

— Scottish, Welsh and NI parties
— Some haven’t got data on TIG
— likewise with UKIP and Green vote share

All of these factors can have an impact on a national election as they may influence the outcome of some marginal seats.

I’m not taking the piss out of you, I’m just correct a sweeping statement you made that is objectively wrong.

Grendel

I obviously didn’t make anything up. Read what the people who made the comparison say. Nothing to do with me, but I base my opinion on such evidence based reports as opposed to „there are no down sides“ Brexiteer promises.

Not all economies are performing like Germany.

You lied end of

Mucca Mad Boys

What was peculiar?

Shows you don't know as much as you think you do. UKIP were not needed anymore. We were leaving the EU. So these people needed someone to vote for. And the Lib Dems were not going to get the vote of millions of people for jumping into bed with the Tories. So many more votes were available. Instead of having 3 bigger parties and UKIP it was suddenly down to Labour, the Tories and the also rans.

Things have now changed with Brexit. The Tories have May and Labour has Corbyn.

Or are you saying Corbyn is good for Labour and they don't have anyone better?

It’s peculiar because you have to go back to 1970 for the last time both Labour and Tory achieved more than 40% of the vote. A return to ‘two-party politics’ if you like. The Lib Dem’s actually performed marginally worse (in relation to vote share %) than expected.

The 2017 GE was fought with May and Corbyn as leaders? In that respect, nothing has changed.

Irrespective of what you think of Corbyn, love him or hate him, there’s no reasonable explanation for challenging his leadership. Labour performed better in 2017 than in 2010 and 2015 which is why his MPs have fallen into line to some extent. A leadership challenge would be pointless anyway because Corbyn is still the most popular candidate so would be re-elected anyway like in 2016. Had Labour had a disastrous 2017 campaign, it’s very likely Corbyn would’ve been ousted very quickly.

As for 2019, voter intention isn’t very helpful at this point because there isn’t an election campaign on and that’s when changes in voter intention becomes more significant. As I said, some polls haven’t got data for UKIP or the TIG (some have them both in 7%) so there’s a high margin of error. If a GE was called, these can be tracked with more accuracy over the campaign.

Last edited:

Grendel

I said a few posts ago that the result for the tories was virtually unprecedented - you disputed it - now it’s peculiar

Anyone can get this data from wiki - I hope your “essay” was better than these rather lame efforts

Mucca Mad Boys

I said a few posts ago that the result for the tories was virtually unprecedented - you disputed it - now it’s peculiar

Anyone can get this data from wiki - I hope your “essay” was better than these rather lame efforts

Definition of unprecedented: ‘never done or known before’.

In my lifetime Blair won 43.2% of the vote. Thatcher won with 43% a few times and Major 42% of the vote. So 4 prime ministers in your lifetime have achieved that figure. Another 2 or 3 elections from Margaret Thatcher have had the winning party poll more than or equal to 40%.

Both Conservative and Labour performed very well in 2017.

Last edited:

Grendel

Definition of unprecedented: ‘never done or known before’.

In my lifetime Blair won 43.2% of the vote. Thatcher won with 43% and 42% of the vote. So 3 prime ministers in your lifetime have achieved that figure. Another 2 or 3 elections from Margaret Thatcher have had the winning party poll more than or equal to 40%.

It’s unprecedented as it didn’t deliver a majority and created an impression of an unpopular government

Are you this dull in real life

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s unprecedented as it didn’t deliver a majority and created an impression of an unpopular government

Are you this dull in real life

Which is what I said, so we’re in agreement.

The Government lost seats, and the consensus is that May’s campaign in 2017 was one of the worst in modern history. I’m sure you expected Labour to be ‘wiped off’ of the map.

Or if you want to go off just %s would you say Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party was more popular than David Cameron? No, you wouldn’t. I’m sure you’ll agree with me that is a stupid thing to say. Just looking at the % doesn’t give you context.

Astute

Which is what I said, so we’re in agreement.

The Government lost seats, and the consensus is that May’s campaign in 2017 was one of the worst in modern history. I’m sure you expected Labour to be ‘wiped off’ of the map.

Or if you want to go off just %s would you say Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party was more popular than David Cameron? No, you wouldn’t. I’m sure you’ll agree with me that is a stupid thing to say. Just looking at the % doesn’t give you context.
Too right it doesn't.

As you keep saying the Tories and Labour got 40% or more in the last GE. Labour got 40% and the Tories got 42.4%. Yeah well done Corbyn. But you refuse to consider the difference of UKIP taking votes off both in the previous GE. UKIP went from 12.8% of the vote to 1.8% of the vote. UKIP had served its purpose. And you ignore that from the previous GE the Lib Dems were finished for getting into bed with the Tories to form a government. This went against most of their voters principles. The easy majority would be Labour voters before Tory voters. My wife had been a Lib Dem voter for as long as I have k own her. She is now like me and a Labour voter.

We are now left with no 3rd party. The Tories are in absolute turmoil. Everybody wants May gone. Things are ripe for Labour to run away with it. But no poll shows Labour to be doing anywhere near as good as the last GE. Why is this? Why don't you praise Corbyn for this?

Captain Dart

martcov

Stupid me. Looked at this post and can't resist correcting false information.

Zero hour jobs have been reduced at the same time record employment has gone higher. But you will think of a way to twist it. You always do.

No. I just posted a link to an explanation. The growth in atypical employment includes things like Uber and zero hours contracts. Selfemployment jobs ( a contradiction in terms ), get around worker’s rights and social security rules. They have cheapened labour and didn’t exist in such form in the 70‘s.

RegTheDonk

That’s not the point. If you sell 1000 washers every month you buy a 1000 washers every month. You probably buy them on a 30 day end of month account. In other words let’s say for example you take delivery on the 1st of January you have until the end of February to pay that bill. In the same period you’ve sold them and probably collected the money enabling you to pay your bill, staff, business rates, utilities, rent etc etc. Now all off a sudden you have to order 6 months worth but you still only get 30 days end of month and you’re not going to sell them for 6 months. Do you A) pay your bill B) pay your staff C) pay your business rates D) pay your utilities E) pay rent? Maybe you borrow some money to pay all of them. Is that service A) free or B) an expense? Maybe you don’t have room at your premises to store them so you need to rent space in a warehouse somewhere. Is that service A) free or B) an expense?
Well no Tony, actually it IS the point. The point I was reponding to was the suggestion this fiasco is costing companies billions. Some companies in this scenario will obviously be disadvantaged, but some obviously will proit. It won't be a disaster for every business. In fact, you're quids in if you make washers.
I totally get where you are coming from with your figures above and I'm sure that savvy firms will factor in these costs, blame "Brexit", and survive by passing on costs or making cuts where necessary. The investment/pain will give a supply and demand advantages over their competitors who don't take these steps, and have the last laugh in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread