The Curious Case of Jordy Hiwula (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

Have I missed him slating other players as bad? Chaplin for missing simple chances?

It's all well and good saying things like "they didn't listen to me" or "we were too deep after they scored" after the game. He's the manager.

We had no clue at all against Portsmouth. Our midfield was non existent, did he single Shipley and Doyle out?

He didn't get asked? So how can he answer a question he isn't asked?

He hasn't come out with the plan to attack any player from what I have read.

Whenever he has been asked however he always gives the truthful opinion.

skybluegod

It wasn't the same tactics as Sunderland?

Pretty obvious as soon as we kicked off how different it was.

It's the same tactics different execution. We don't know what the manager has said to the players. He has said that Hiwula didn't do as asked. It's not too far a leap to say that others had done the same.

Nick

Administrator
He didn't get asked? So how can he answer a question he isn't asked?

He hasn't come out with the plan to attack any player from what I have read.

Whenever he has been asked however he always gives the truthful opinion.

He has mentioned the misses and was asked but doesn't go into the same detail slating them.

It was the same when he was going on about hiwula being a striker and not a left midfielder. He then starts him on the right midfield.

Maybe he was just watching a different game against Portsmouth.

Nick

Administrator
It's the same tactics different execution. We don't know what the manager has said to the players. He has said that Hiwula didn't do as asked. It's not too far a leap to say that others had done the same.

No it wasn't, it was a different formation / system.

Nick

Administrator
Can't you see the link between a player not following instructions and a formation appearing to be different?
The formation was different as soon as we kicked off, nothing to do with Hiwula following instructions.

Change Chaplin for Andreu and everything is different.

fernandopartridge

The formation was different as soon as we kicked off, nothing to do with Hiwula following instructions.

Change Chaplin for Andreu and everything is different.

Read Robins' comments, he wanted Hiwula to play the role Chaplin did against Pompey, he didn't, instead trying to replicate what Andreu was doing.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Missed the Sunderland game I was away but if he (Robins) thought the way we were set up Tuesday night was going to win the game he needs to think again Portsmouth didn't need to get out off second gear if their CB 's won't have an easier game all season . We were set up far too negative.

Nick

Administrator
Read Robins' comments, he wanted Hiwula to play the role Chaplin did against Pompey, he didn't, instead trying to replicate what Andreu was doing.
Yes, that was after about 70 minutes when we were losing and getting absolutely nowhere without a midfield and not even troubling Portsmouth.

Hiwula was dropping deep because that's the only way he could get the ball due to the midfield. Thomas and Jones had both vanished at that point as well. Nobody was moving at all for throwins, so he was running and showing for them and getting it which is why then he was putting the crosses in.

If he thought at that point in the game it was going to change the game just chucking Hiwula up front with the midfield in the state it was, Jones dead on his feet after 5 minutes and Thomas missing and Doyle still thinking he was playing Sunderland it's even more worrying.

I was talking about the way he started the game. It was completely different to Sunderland.

MatthewWallis

Towards the end I only remember Hiwula actually trying to cross the ball into the box, maybe Robins wanted him to stand in the box watching Jones run backwards and Doyle pass it sideways instead

skybluegod

He has mentioned the misses and was asked but doesn't go into the same detail slating them.

It was the same when he was going on about hiwula being a striker and not a left midfielder. He then starts him on the right midfield.

Maybe he was just watching a different game against Portsmouth.

From my memory, you agreed with Robins Assessment of Blackpool and Baka? I wasn't there so can't judge... But seem to remember you slagging him off and Robins doing the same?

Yes he was asked about certain misses and has said it's not good enough.

Today he has come out and said that the players he is picking are not doing enough at the moment, which can only be directed at Chaplin and JCH?

skybluegod

Yes, that was after about 70 minutes when we were losing and getting absolutely nowhere without a midfield and not even troubling Portsmouth.

Hiwula was dropping deep because that's the only way he could get the ball due to the midfield. Thomas and Jones had both vanished at that point as well. Nobody was moving at all for throwins, so he was running and showing for them and getting it which is why then he was putting the crosses in.

If he thought at that point in the game it was going to change the game just chucking Hiwula up front with the midfield in the state it was, Jones dead on his feet after 5 minutes and Thomas missing and Doyle still thinking he was playing Sunderland it's even more worrying.

I was talking about the way he started the game. It was completely different to Sunderland.

Nick you literally said the other week, 'why are we doing like for like changes' you beg for the 'attacking players' to be sent on when we are losing. Robins does this. Then you are complaining that he didn't change the midfield.

As i said. You seem to hate on Robins no matter what. Mr. Negative.

Nick

Administrator
Nick you literally said the other week, 'why are we doing like for like changes' you beg for the 'attacking players' to be sent on when we are losing. Robins does this. Then you are complaining that he didn't change the midfield.

As i said. You seem to hate on Robins no matter what. Mr. Negative.
It's called saying what happened.

I have said time and time again he doesn't know how to change a game when it isn't going in our favour. His changes are usually too late.

I do usually want attacking players on, however it was obvious to anybody with eyes the midfield was AWOL, we created nothing.

Each game is different, it depends how its going. Where we are getting success and where we are struggling.

Great_Expectations

Bizzare and harsh comments from Robins, unless that management style is a motivator for Hiwula? We will see. However he did the same to Bakayoko and he’s not really had a kick since.

Granted, Hiwula didn’t do much when he came on, but he had nobody around him to create; Thomas and Jones were ghosts, Bayliss was deep himself and Doyle was demanding the playmaker role, which is not his strength.

I’d like to see him again, but in a fresher team and with more time on the pitch.

Not writing him off yet.

stevefloyd

I seen Hiwula play in the unders against Ipswich he didnt exactly break a sweat...seems too many are just happy to sit it out and collect their wages

skybluegod

It's called saying what happened.

I have said time and time again he doesn't know how to change a game when it isn't going in our favour. His changes are usually too late.

I do usually want attacking players on, however it was obvious to anybody with eyes the midfield was AWOL, we created nothing.

Each game is different, it depends how its going. Where we are getting success and where we are struggling.

No it’s called being negative about everything.

And many people have said before, not many managers do know how to change a game at this level. They don’t have the resources.

The idea of bringing Hiwula on would have been for him to start making runs in behind meaning Portsmouth have to drop deeper, so either creating a bigger gap between the defence and midfield for Thomas and jones to utilise or for the midfield to also drop allowing Bayliss and Doyle to assert more control.
Anyone with a football brain would know that.

The way you speak we have never had any success in a game. Or under robins.

Nick

Administrator
No it’s called being negative about everything.

And many people have said before, not many managers do know how to change a game at this level. They don’t have the resources.

The idea of bringing Hiwula on would have been for him to start making runs in behind meaning Portsmouth have to drop deeper, so either creating a bigger gap between the defence and midfield for Thomas and jones to utilise or for the midfield to also drop allowing Bayliss and Doyle to assert more control.
Anyone with a football brain would know that.

The way you speak we have never had any success in a game. Or under robins.

It's not negative about everything though is it?

As soon as hiwula came on he was making runs in behind but nobody was looking up to play him in, hence he had to drop deep to look for the ball. Thomas and Jones had both gone missing by that point and Doyle was about 6 hours behind the game being played. It's all well and good hiwula bombing forward but who's he making space for?

The way I speak? I've often said if it works and it clicks from the start then it's great, however if it isn't working when the game kicks off that's usually how it stays. To say that managers at this level can't change things during games is wrong as well.

Anybody with a football brain could notice the setup was completely different against Pompey as against Sunderland as well. Both players and the system / formation. Obvious as soon as the lineup was announced.

Last edited:

Grendel

Ricky swears on cwr tut tut

NorthernWisdom

The saving grace from the club's POV is that injuries to Biamou and Pnticelli mean he's one of a group of four forwards, but he's never really going to get a chance unless Chaplin gets injured, is he?
Well he's getting to play more with Chaplin than expected, and has even ended up in his preferred position from time to time.

Strange things afoot at CCFC!

Otis

Always wanted to see Hiwula and Chaplin being given a go as a combination. Clarke-Harris and Chaplin doesn't seem to work too well.

shmmeee

If played up front for 40 games, he’d score 20 goals.

Neck. Out.

Edit: anyone got or know a site that has which positions he’s played in to know what his current ratio is when playing up top?

Esoterica

Hiwula is poor back to goal, which is definitely his weakness to work on, so I can see why Robins didn't play him up top before but credit to Robins on this one - after fucking about with so many formation and shape changes this season he's pulled one out that genuinely works to the strengths of most of the players he's picking.
There's a lot of reasons why it's working:
* He's brought Mason back in and Sterling is fit again so we're purposefully getting the fullbacks forward and on the overlap and starting to get the ball into dangerous areas in the box.
* The strikers are in the box more as they don't have to run the channels so often (until we are winding the game down at least) as wingers and fullbacks are helping to stretch the defence laterally.
* Teams are having to work harder against us because of a) inceased pressing from the front and b) the tracking up and down the pitch they are having to do chasing our kids.
* We're winning the ball directly off opposition more in midfield and able to quickly turn defence into attack whereas previously we were relying on loose passes and mistakes to turnover possession.

I'm very happy with the changes and it's still a work in progress e.g Hiwula back to goal, Thomas decision making, Chaplin's depth on the pitch, Mason's fitness, set pieces etc but fundamentally it works with the players we have and believe we still have further room to improve.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hiwula is poor back to goal, which is definitely his weakness to work on, so I can see why Robins didn't play him up top before but credit to Robins on this one - after fucking about with so many formation and shape changes this season he's pulled one out that genuinely works to the strengths of most of the players he's picking.
There's a lot of reasons why it's working:
* He's brought Mason back in and Sterling is fit again so we're purposefully getting the fullbacks forward and on the overlap and starting to get the ball into dangerous areas in the box.
* The strikers are in the box more as they don't have to run the channels so often (until we are winding the game down at least) as wingers and fullbacks are helping to stretch the defence laterally.
* Teams are having to work harder against us because of a) inceased pressing from the front and b) the tracking up and down the pitch they are having to do chasing our kids.
* We're winning the ball directly off opposition more in midfield and able to quickly turn defence into attack whereas previously we were relying on loose passes and mistakes to turnover possession.

I'm very happy with the changes and it's still a work in progress e.g Hiwula back to goal, Thomas decision making, Chaplin's depth on the pitch, Mason's fitness, set pieces etc but fundamentally it works with the players we have and believe we still have further room to improve.

Really this is all his detractors, me included, were looking for. I wouldn't mind him getting it wrong if he at least showed willingness to change a losing formula.

Mucca Mad Boys

A more appropriate title for this thread:

The Curious Case of Coventry City Fans: Why Do They Make Knee-Jerk Reactions?

Brighton Sky Blue

A more appropriate title for this thread:

The Curious Case of Coventry City Fans: Why Do They Make Knee-Jerk Reactions?

Decades of bottom half finishes, relegation battles, terrible/dubious owners, and a few relegations thrown in. People who have been starved of success for that long don't hold much patience. Though if you go on Stoke's forums they are demanding Gary Rowett's head for not winning every game. Not just us...

Mucca Mad Boys

Decades of bottom half finishes, relegation battles, terrible/dubious owners, and a few relegations thrown in. People who have been starved of success for that long don't hold much patience. Though if you go on Stoke's forums they are demanding Gary Rowett's head for not winning every game. Not just us...

Stoke have just been relegated from the Prem. We’ve just been promoted and have a young team. Totally different contexts.

At our worst, we were 14th and still about 3 points off 9th. We also had some rough home games in Luton, P’boro and Accrington (6th at the time) and lost once. Just two weeks a section of this forum was saying we were the only promoted team to have not improved over the summer and we were in crisis and all sorts of hyperbolic nonsense. Only Luton are above us from the promoted teams.

SkyBlueCRJ

Stoke have just been relegated from the Prem. We’ve just been promoted and have a young team. Totally different contexts.

At our worst, we were 14th and still about 3 points off 9th. We also had some rough home games in Luton, P’boro and Accrington (6th at the time) and lost once. Just two weeks a section of this forum was saying we were the only promoted team to have not improved over the summer and we were in crisis and all sorts of hyperbolic nonsense. Only Luton are above us from the promoted teams.

I think that’s what many people are forgetting - we’re a young team and a number of fans on here rely on many of our youngest players to perform week in, week out. MR admitteded that even the likes of Chaplin shouldn’t be expected to be like for like replacement for McNulty.

Albeit he may not be worth 500K based on his current form but we’re not even 5 months in on what’s probably going to be a long term contract. Who knows how he’ll do next season or the season after! Us fans do have a serious issue with ‘shortterminism’

Mucca Mad Boys

I think that’s what many people are forgetting - we’re a young team and a number of fans on here rely on many of our youngest players to perform week in, week out. MR admitteded that even the likes of Chaplin shouldn’t be expected to be like for like replacement for McNulty.

Albeit he may not be worth 500K based on his current form but we’re not even 5 months in on what’s probably going to be a long term contract. Who knows how he’ll do next season or the season after! Us fans do have a serious issue with ‘shortterminism’

Chaplin is 21 and if we’d spent 500k on a 25-28 year old striker the claims levelled against him would be a lot more valid. Chaplin could have one good season of scoring 15+ goals and we’d be able to sell him for more a lot more than 500k. When buying young players, most of the fee is based on potential too. All of our team really ought to improve simply because they’re so young.

We need sign experienced players to take this team to the next level. But, we have a budget every year and we’re over that, so it’ll have to be in the off-season we fill out the squad. There’s a lot of talent but we lack in a couple of areas.

Users who are viewing this thread