The Coventry Telegraph (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
I don't work for the Telegraph if that's what you mean. Believe it or not, people can have a different opinion to you without having a vested interest!

If the Telegraph isn't doing all that stuff, then who is? Genuine question. The BBC, I guess (they've published a grand total of four stories about CCFC this month, all based off club press releases).

That's a fun idea you have for Andy Turner to go freelance. Which news organization do you think is willing to pay him for daily CCFC coverage? Or maybe we can give him a totally different beat like the Beeb did with Simon Gilbert and hope he does CCFC stories in his spare time.

You're not getting it with the Chaplin story. I don't care that the CT got the story from another source. I care that they bought it to my attention so that I didn't have to trawl local Portsmouth news, or CCFC message boards in order to find it. That's local journalism 101. And like I said, I'm grateful for it.

So you don't want to trawl message boards for news (understandable) but you seem to trawl message boards for things being said about the local news paper?

Do you actually thing the telegraph are doing all the things you mention or again don't you realise they are just copy and pasting it? (Andy does do his own match reports and live text)

If you just want copy and paste news aggregators stick the ccfc news now bookmark in and you will get it faster.

Kev Monks does pretty much the same thing as the telegraph in re hashing the news. He just does it once and doesn't clickbait the crap out of it.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, my parents still get the CT everyday. Tells you what's going on in the city, the progress of all the building works and any new ventures and restaurants, bars, clubs and cafes springing up, plus of course stuff about the City and Cov rugby too.
To be fair im on about the ccfc side of it, in terms of other news there isn't really any other option.

SBT

So you don't want to trawl message boards for news (understandable) but you seem to trawl message boards for things being said about the local news paper

I don't

Do you actually thing the telegraph are doing all the things you mention or again don't you realise they are just copy and pasting it?

I do

Kev Monks does pretty much the same thing as the telegraph in re hashing the news. He just does it once and doesn't clickbait the crap out of it

If you genuinely think the best way for ordinary City fans to stay engaged with their club is through Kev Monks, then god help us, you crazy bastard.

Otis

To be fair im on about the ccfc side of it, in terms of other news there isn't really any other option.
Yeah, agree, I do quite like it for some City stuff though. There is always the match report, usually an opposition report, Jim Brown's bit and some other stuff.

Have to say, I do skip past numerous pages though for sure.

Nick

Administrator
Ah so it looks like it's you who doesnt know what's actually being done then (after trying to patronise).

If you don't want to trawl forums for ccfc news, why are you always quick to jump in if the telegraph are mentioned on a forum?

Where did I say everybody could rely on cov mad for news about ccfc, I just said he does the same thing as the telegraph in rehashing but obviously not to the same extent.

oucho

There's a big difference between a 'Sports Journalist' and an 'Online Writer' that creates content for the website. Andy Turner is a journalist, it's his job to go out and get the interviews, work his sources for scoops, and find out what's going on behind the scenes. I would say that every other sports writer there are content aggregators - it's their jobs to get clicks and these websites take that by any means possible - which means clickbait, shitty headlines, writing up fan tweets, combing forums etc.

It is a shame. I work for a sports website and over the past couple years we've done as much as possible to turn away from clickbait and get clicks the right way. When even a place like SportBible is less clickbaity than you then you know something's wrong.

Very decent summary. I do not like to moan unduly about the CT but it has reached the point of being truly embarrassing as a website. Headlines like "This is what Mark Robins said after Barnet win" and "This is how many Coventry fans travelled to Morecambe" and "This the referee for the friendly at Sutton" are cringeworthy.

I had thought a low point was 2 summers ago when the CT was doing nothing to come up with transfer news, and every day the headlines were along the lines of "Mark Venus happy to bide time over transfer targets" and "Mowbray confident of new signings as triallists join", but more recently we have reached a whole new level of barrel-scraping. You're right that the onus is on the reporters to find scoops using their network of contacts, not just regurgitate club PR, forum speculation and generic news found elsewhere. Unfortunately the CT has become prime clickbait churnalism for all things football-related. You're doing the right thin in your own career if you can get away from this approach; i see the need to drive advertising revenue but it's ultimately the road to ruin, as users will get fed up of the site and go elsewhere, which in it itself will reduce and ultimately destroy advertising income. I personally do not click on any of the CT stories with any such headlines, whereas even 3 years ago I read almost every single one. I have yet to come across another site even within the Trinity Mirror group that is as singularly laughable as the CT site; its standards are pathetic. Sad, really.

Captain Dart

I think they'll merge it with the Birmingham operation eventually.

Otis

Plans for mosque in Hillfields area of Coventry

Now that's what I call click bait.

The headline is 'Plans to build a new mosque in Coventry'.

You click on it and only then does it say 'have been rejected'.

That's like putting up a newspaper front page headline 'Donald Trump will be ousted from office.....

(Turn to page 2)

if he goes up for re-election and the other bloke gets more votes than him'.

steveo1987

Coventry City strong promotion favourites after revamping the line up with exciting new players and a dynamic new system

Adge

Good for wrapping the chips in and that’s about it. Some of Turners guff that he turns out third hand is also laughable. Lets not forget also his “exclusives” that turn out not to be true.

oucho

Good for wrapping the chips in and that’s about it. Some of Turners guff that he turns out third hand is also laughable. Lets not forget also his “exclusives” that turn out not to be true.
Yes when he had an exclusive on who we had released and who we had retained and it turned out to be 50% wrong - same % as you'd get through sheer guesswork.

My mum and dad. They only buy it to check the obituaries to see if they have died yet though.

"I want to see who I've beaten"...said my granddad everytime he scanned the obituary section.
But with proper journalism we wouldn’t get gold like this....

Live updates as Chelmsford dad refuses to leave toy store over refund

“Live updates”
Jordan Willis recovers from knock.....live updates. Bad enough but then the updates are re-posted stories on Willis' previous injuries. a tweet from Dave in Bermuda who thinks Willis should be fit to play next week, then a summary followed by "that's all folks" and a link to "read the full story on our website" - when you click the link it asks you to fill in a survey to read the fucker......

Adge

Yep, just like Turners 2nd or 3rd hand garbage.

Captain Dart

Seen on latest CCFC article in CT... :D it wasn't me..

Comments

*We have taken the decision to disable the comments function on Coventry City articles due to an ongoing problem of users failing to adhere to our rules of conduct and the persistent abuse of the section by one or more individuals hiding behind a string of anonymous accounts.

We still value your honest and passionate opinions and would urge you to continue to have your say on our Coventry City Facebook page which can be found here .

Comments will be far easier for us to police and cannot be blocked or removed by fellow supporters. Only we will have the power to hide comments.

We would like to thank the majority of Sky Blues fans who have been using the comments section in a correct manner to have their say on their team and we hope you will continue to do so on our Facebook page.

We have also set up a Facebook group which you can use to share posts on your team, which can be found via the link here .

ajsccfc

Disabling comments is the best thing they've done in years, the majority of the internet should follow suit and go read-only.

ceetee

I think they closed their forum for the same reason, or they may have closed it to save money and that was their excuse.
It was difficult to post a reasoned argument on there without being accused of being pro-SISU
Looks as if the same ******ers just moved across

NorthernWisdom

Not related to CCFC, but this article Warwick Arts Centre appoints new director was posted on 22 August by their "Content Direct Editor". The original press release was made by the University on 26th July, and the content in the CovTel article is directly cut-and-pasted from the press release, with nothing added. Waste of everyone's time and effort!
tbf not alone in that, and it's been going on for a fair few years.

Think my lowest point was when something I wrote was credited to the reporter... but they'd added in a few typos to differentiate it from the original release!

oucho

You do wonder whether it will still exist in its current form in 5 years' time.

All i see is them cutting costs to the absolute bone to minimise the losses whilst putting out an inferior product as a result, thus alienating readers which leads to a drop in asvertising and sales revunue, hence the need to costs more....and so it goes on....it's a death spiral. If things continue as they are the paper will just cease, certainly in printed form at least.

hill83

All i see is them cutting costs to the absolute bone to minimise the losses whilst putting out an inferior product as a result, thus alienating readers which leads to a drop in asvertising and sales revunue, hence the need to costs more....and so it goes on....it's a death spiral. If things continue as they are the paper will just cease, certainly in printed form at least.

I blame student accommodation and cathedral lanes.

chiefdave

Think 5 years is optimistic. Its pretty much all done from Brum now, the amount of local content will steadily decrease.

Still think the decision to rebrand all their online presence is nuts. One of the few things they have is a recognisable name with a history, why would you bin that?

Users who are viewing this thread