The Coventry Telegraph (1 Viewer)

Deity

what do their sports journalists do with their time ??

I have not seen one article asking Robins about whether we are close to bringing a striker in. We know he wants 2, we suspect Chaplin is one but we could be very close to
The second addition ...... just ask the bloody question after the match !!!

skyblueelephant76

I have not seen one article asking Robins about whether we are close to bringing a striker in. We know he wants 2, we suspect Chaplin is one but we could be very close to
It's simple, they spend all their time making up misleading clickbait stories like this one with the heading "Coventry snap up two players" - which is just about two youth team players signing contracts:

Sky Blues snap up two players as Sterling opens up on England duty

Calling them journalists is stretching things to the extreme.

Winny the Bish

There's a big difference between a 'Sports Journalist' and an 'Online Writer' that creates content for the website. Andy Turner is a journalist, it's his job to go out and get the interviews, work his sources for scoops, and find out what's going on behind the scenes. I would say that every other sports writer there are content aggregators - it's their jobs to get clicks and these websites take that by any means possible - which means clickbait, shitty headlines, writing up fan tweets, combing forums etc.

skyblueelephant76

There's a big difference between a 'Sports Journalist' and an 'Online Writer' that creates content for the website. Andy Turner is a journalist, it's his job to go out and get the interviews, work his sources for scoops, and find out what's going on behind the scenes. I would say that every other sports writer there are content aggregators - it's their jobs to get clicks and these websites take that by any means possible - which means clickbait, shitty headlines, writing up fan tweets, combing forums etc.
I understand that, I work in Marketing and know how it all works, it's just a shame what the Cov Telegraph has become. I don't remember the last time they came up with an original story or 'scoop', everything is just regurgitated from other sources.

Winny the Bish

I understand that, I work in Marketing and know how it all works, it's just a shame what the Cov Telegraph has become. I don't remember the last time they came up with an original story or 'scoop', everything is just regurgitated from other sources.
It is a shame. I work for a sports website and over the past couple years we've done as much as possible to turn away from clickbait and get clicks the right way. When even a place like SportBible is less clickbaity than you then you know something's wrong.

chiefdave

Are they still banned by the club?

If so, Andy Turner's job isn't overly easy.
That was after Gilbert pissed them off wasn't it? There won't be any pre or post match press conferences at the moment so unless the CT are on decent terms with the club they won't get much access to anyone.

vow

That was after Gilbert pissed them off wasn't it? There won't be any pre or post match press conferences at the moment so unless the CT are on decent terms with the club they won't get much access to anyone.
I believe the "pissing off" of CCFC was down to the CT getting behind the SISU OUT campaign and not being impartial. Consequently being banned from the club.

hill83

That’s their job and I’ve got no problem with it really. What used to annoy me was Gilbert back in the day refusing to admit that it was going on. Of course, I presume he couldn’t come out and say it anyway as he was employed by them, but to follow it up with ‘tin foil hat’ and the ‘sky blues talk lot’ used to drive me mad.

Nick

Administrator
That’s their job and I’ve got no problem with it really. What used to annoy me was Gilbert back in the day refusing to admit that it was going on. Of course, I presume he couldn’t come out and say it anyway as he was employed by them, but to follow it up with ‘tin foil hat’ and the ‘sky blues talk lot’ used to drive me mad.
You will be getting an invoice for using their phrases ;)

SBT

1. You wouldn't have even heard of Chaplin if it wasn't for the Telegraph breaking the news that we were interested
2. If there are no developments in whether we are close to bringing a striker, then it's hard to write a story about it. Unless you'd like them to splash a literally nothing story as a headline...but then that would be clickbait, wouldn't it
3. I know I always stand up for the CT (and reporters in general), but let there be no mistake - the Telegraph website is probably the worst website I've ever seen, and sad proof that local journalism is dying an ugly death

Nick

Administrator
Did the telegraph break the news about Chaplin then?

Let's not piss about, I knew the names of the trialists before they did (credit goes to a member who told me that had a good source).

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Was it not? Who did? British Home Stores.
Wasn't it the Portsmouth end? The same place all of the rehashed stories have come from.

Your strange defence of them is worse than their content writers.

SBT

Wasn't it the Portsmouth end? The same place all of the rehashed stories have come from.

Your strange defence of them is worse than their content writers.

You may be right! My mistake. But as someone who doesn't frequent the local Portsmouth press, it was the CT where I first heard the story.

And you're wrong - nothing could be worse than the 'content' writers. But as someone who's forced to rely on their coverage, I'm not going to cheer for their demise like some people on here do. If the CT disappeared, what's the alternative? And would that be better than what we have now? The CT could be a lot, lot better but it still serves an important role which gets little credit on here.

Nick

Administrator
You may be right! My mistake. But as someone who doesn't frequent the local Portsmouth press, it was the CT where I first heard the story.

And you're wrong - nothing could be worse than the 'content' writers. But as someone who's forced to rely on their coverage, I'm not going to cheer for their demise like some people on here do. If the CT disappeared, what's the alternative? And would that be better than what we have now? The CT could be a lot, lot better but it still serves an important role which gets little credit on here.

Just because you see rehashed articles there it doesn't mean they break the news.

In terms of ccfc what purpose does it serve? I've got nothing against Andy turner and do like HIS articles where be can actually look up a story and story and write something.

Who is cheering their demise? You are the one who jumps in when somebody mentions them.

SBT

Just because you see rehashed articles there it doesn't mean they break the news.

In terms of ccfc what purpose does it serve? I've got nothing against Andy turner and do like HIS articles where be can actually look up a story and story and write something.

Who is cheering their demise? You are the one who jumps in when somebody mentions them.

I don't want to insult your intelligence by explaining what purpose a local paper serves for a football club and its fanbase. Which is why I find it weird when people call for them to be banned (like they did when McNulty threw a hissy fit over a nothing story). As I've said many times, the CT is guilty of some serious bullshit, and maybe some people really would rather they just shut up altogether. But if they did, the alternative would be a lot lot worse, something which most people don't seem to realise. So I'll keep sticking up for the good things they do come out with. Not every story of theirs is going to win a Pulitzer, but it's the best we've got.

Nick

Administrator
I don't want to insult your intelligence by explaining what purpose a local paper serves for a football club and its fanbase. Which is why I find it weird when people call for them to be banned (like they did when McNulty threw a hissy fit over a nothing story). As I've said many times, the CT is guilty of some serious bullshit, and maybe some people really would rather they just shut up altogether. But if they did, the alternative would be a lot lot worse, something which most people don't seem to realise. So I'll keep sticking up for the good things they do come out with. Not every story of theirs is going to win a Pulitzer, but it's the best we've got.

So what does it actually do? You seem to think it's breaking stories, not realising they are copied and pasted from the internet and a few words changes.

You jumped in trying to be cocky about them breaking a story they didn't break, you jump in when people mention them.

How do you know what the alternative would be in regards to ccfc news?

hill83

To be fair Nick. My dad gets his cov news from the telegraph and I’m sure it’s the same for a lot of people. He’s not on football365instantnewsnowpleasemate.com

Not sure what the bloke above means by the alternative though.

Nick

Administrator
To be fair Nick. My dad gets his cov news from the telegraph and I’m sure it’s the same for a lot of people. He’s not on football365instantnewsnowpleasemate.com

Yeah but if it no more there would be an alternative of some sort.

It is pretty much just collaborating things from other sites, social media and "reactions" and then hammering the hell out of them.

hill83

Yeah but if it no more there would be an alternative of some sort.

It is pretty much just collaborating things from other sites, social media and "reactions" and then hammering the hell out of them.

The website is. I’ve not read the actual paper for years but surely that can’t be like that as well.

“Watch this 30 second video before you can turn to page 6”

SBT

So what does it actually do? You seem to think it's breaking stories, not realising they are copied and pasted from the internet and a few words changes.

You jumped in trying to be cocky about them breaking a story they didn't break, you jump in when people mention them.

How do you know what the alternative would be in regards to ccfc news?

Seriously? Match reports, player interviews, transfer rumours, court reporting, match previews, injury news, fan stories, managerial press conferences. All the stuff that connects a football club with its local community and engages fans who might otherwise know no better.

And yes, sometimes that involves rehashing some other people's reporting too - not quite the crime that some people paint it as...sometimes it's just part of the job.

Like with the Chaplin story - ok sure, they were second to it (as I said, my mistake). But nevertheless they broke the news to me and plenty of other City fans. They did their job, and I'm grateful for it.

Who else does it if not them? No one knows for sure what the alternative looks like, but I don't see any big media companies who'd be desperate to fill the void. And I don't expect Kev Monks or the Nii Lamptey Show boys to start showing up at the High Court to cover the next SISU hearing in their absence. If I'm having to explain the basic functions of a local newspaper to you then I'm guessing you don't really care much about what they do. Fair enough. But maybe you should?

Nick

Administrator
The website is. I’ve not read the actual paper for years but surely that can’t be like that as well.

“Watch this 30 second video before you can turn to page 6”
Pretty sure the print version will die out within a year or two anyway, which is a shame because years ago that and the pink were the go to.

They will still have the same stories the site but just not as spammy.

Nick

Administrator
Seriously? Match reports, player interviews, transfer rumours, court reporting, match previews, injury news, fan stories, managerial press conferences. All the stuff that connects a football club with its local community and engages fans who might otherwise know no better.

And yes, sometimes that involves rehashing some other people's reporting too - not quite the crime that some people paint it as...sometimes it's just part of the job.

Like with the Chaplin story - ok sure, they were second to it (as I said, my mistake). But nevertheless they broke the news to me and plenty of other City fans. They did their job, and I'm grateful for it.

Who else does it if not them? No one knows for sure what the alternative looks like, but I don't see any big media companies who'd be desperate to fill the void. And I don't expect Kev Monks or the Nii Lamptey Show boys to start showing up at the High Court to cover the next SISU hearing in their absence. If I'm having to explain the basic functions of a local newspaper to you then I'm guessing you don't really care much about what they do. Fair enough. But maybe you should?

It's all well and good that you want to try and patronise because somebody says something about the telegraph again but it's pretty obvious you have some affinity to them.

All of the things you said (apart from being live from the court and match reports) aren't really done by the telegraph anyway. Even now that Gilbert has gone to the BBC people will still be following the stuff he puts out instead as he still covers it for them.

I have no issue with Andy Turner, in fact I think if he went freelance he wouldn't be restricted so much on having to get x amount of page views and could just report things and could just stick to writing about football.

Maybe it's you who doesnt know what they do? Especially as you genuinely didn't know that the Chaplin stuff was just a copy / paste and thought that if they didn't say anything nobody would know.

Nick

Administrator
And ben who does the crime stuff is pretty good as well! He actually has local knowledge as well, rather than when you can tell people have looked it up on Google maps to write a story about it rather than knowing about it.

SBT

It's all well and good that you want to try and patronise because somebody says something about the telegraph again but it's pretty obvious you have some affinity to them.

All of the things you said (apart from being live from the court and match reports) aren't really done by the telegraph anyway. Even now that Gilbert has gone to the BBC people will still be following the stuff he puts out instead as he still covers it for them.

I have no issue with Andy Turner, in fact I think if he went freelance he wouldn't be restricted so much on having to get x amount of page views and could just report things and could just stick to writing about football.

Maybe it's you who doesnt know what they do? Especially as you genuinely didn't know that the Chaplin stuff was just a copy / paste and thought that if they didn't say anything nobody would know.

I don't work for the Telegraph if that's what you mean. Believe it or not, people can have a different opinion to you without having a vested interest!

If the Telegraph isn't doing all that stuff, then who is? Genuine question. The BBC, I guess (they've published a grand total of four stories about CCFC this month, all based off club press releases).

That's a fun idea you have for Andy Turner to go freelance. Which news organization do you think is willing to pay him for daily CCFC coverage? Or maybe we can give him a totally different beat like the Beeb did with Simon Gilbert and hope he does CCFC stories in his spare time.

You're not getting it with the Chaplin story. I don't care that the CT got the story from another source. I care that they bought it to my attention so that I didn't have to trawl local Portsmouth news, or CCFC message boards in order to find it. That's local journalism 101. And like I said, I'm grateful for it.

Otis

Yep, my parents still get the CT everyday. Tells you what's going on in the city, the progress of all the building works and any new ventures and restaurants, bars, clubs and cafes springing up, plus of course stuff about the City and Cov rugby too.

Users who are viewing this thread