ideal_cmyklrg.gif

ICHAN

Rising Damp (Leonard Rossiter genius).
Fools and Horses.
Porridge
Butterflies.
The Good Life
Faulty Towers.

The yanks have not got a clue when it comes to comedy shows.

Ernie Machin

You're wrong, sir.

Arrested Development
Curb your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
All in the Family (remake admittedly)
Larry Sanders
Malcolm in the Middle
30 Rock
Married with Children
Frasier
Simpsons
Family Guy
Futurama
American Dad
King of the Hill
Ren and Stimpy
Get Smart
M*A*S*H
I love Lucy.

Believe it, the Yanks have always been great at TV. Britain's best work matches it, but we've had some utter shite - So Haunt Me anyone?

egastap

For me Fawlty Towers, Royle Family and Only Fools from the UK and Three's Company and Cheers from the US. The rest are mediocrely funny. I know mediocrely is not a word, but if everyone starts using it we can have it inserted in the dictionary.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Ricky Gervais? I'd rather pickle me nads in sulphuric acid. Last known to be funny on the 11 o'clock show years back

Ricky Gervais has NEVER been funny! The man is a total w**ker!! Thinks he's something special like Jonathan bleedin' Woss!

ICHAN

You're wrong, sir.

Sorry Ernie Machin please don't call me sir! in that tone sounds patronising, to me non of them are funny personally (will give you m*a*s*h) but we are all allowed an opinion but would never say 'your wrong sir' to anyone. Thats my opinion.

Ernie Machin

Sir is a sign of respect. Also, you're too insignificant to patronise. (joke)

Dismissing an entire nation's comedic output seems daft to me, funny is funny, it doesn't have a passport. They can't make Fawlty Towers or Blackadder, but they have some great comic minds. (They have some dreadful ones too, tis the nature of comedy). I also doubt you've seen all of the comedies I listed.

Disregarding all I've said, comedy is ALL subjective.

ajsccfc

The idea of a nation of 300 million collectively sharing the same attributes is ridiculous enough, but saying the US can't do comedy is even more so.

You just have to look at how desperately various channels over here have repeatedly tried and failed to mimic the high-quality satire that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert put out four days a week. The 'real' style that went over big in comedy in the last 10-15 years was done by Garry Shandling 25 years ago.

Last edited:

stupot07

Father Ted, Inbetweeners and Peep Show always make me laugh! The BBQ dog scene in peep show is the funniest thing I'd ever seen!

rob9872

Loved that show (although many of the sketches were poor - but really loved the Green Mile one). More stand up than situation comedy though - still can't believe some of the stuff he managed to get away with :)

egastap

Sir is a sign of respect. Also, you're too insignificant to patronise. (joke)

Dismissing an entire nation's comedic output seems daft to me, funny is funny, it doesn't have a passport. They can't make Fawlty Towers or Blackadder, but they have some great comic minds. (They have some dreadful ones too, tis the nature of comedy). I also doubt you've seen all of the comedies I listed.

Disregarding all I've said, comedy is ALL subjective.

Totally agree with paragraphs 2 and 3.

egastap

Having lived on two continents for roughly the same amount of time (i.e. 30 years apiece), I can safely say there is a different sense of humour in the UK versus NA. Many NA's do not find British humour that funny, while UK's do not find NA humour that funny. Myself, I am in between the two, understanding both sets of humour. Earlier posts have stated that humour does not have a passport, which although true, does not fully address the different senses of humour. Clearly there is some poor comedy in the UK which is not appreciated by UK's just as much as there is poor comedy in the US which is not appreciated by the NA's.

I guess what I'm saying in a nutshell is....if you find it funny ......laugh. If you don't ......change channels and move on!

Last edited:

ccfc1973

The sense of humour is shocking of friends etc.

I much prefer stuff like Ricky Gervais Show, Inbetweeners with dry witty humour. Not the fake crowd laughing at somebody walking into a door.
couldnt agree more , add peep show,alan partridge,phoenix nightsand the office to that list!

ajsccfc

Friends doesn't use a fake crowd or canned laughter for the record, nor do nearly any sitcom you can name. If it's not a live crowd in a studio (Friends, IT Crowd, Seinfeld) it's real laughter from a live audience watching a recording (Alan Partridge).

It benefits from sharp writing and fine performances, even amongst the schmaltz and hugs.

bamalamafizzfazz

Best show ever!! Been going for a long time now and have been hooked since the very first episode. Stone and Parker are Comedy geniuses and it will be years before people realise how good South Park actually is. Cartman is the best television character ever created too. I hope that it is not finished for good but I fear for the worst...

Sky_Blue_Daz

Still Game, for anyone who hasnt seen it, Its about a bunch of Oap's in Glasgow. Fantatsic series. Get on you tube and get involved

bamalamafizzfazz

Still Game, for anyone who hasnt seen it, Its about a bunch of Oap's in Glasgow. Fantatsic series. Get on you tube and get involved

Never heard of it. Gonna get it tomorrow to watch on my night shift at work. Thanks in advance for the heads up, I'll let you know how I get on.

bamalamafizzfazz

What did you think of it then

To be honest, completely forgot lol. I didn't even go to work ended up getting emergency leave as had to take the Mrs to hospital as she tripped over and hit her head on a door handle. She is ok just a mild concussion, I was hoping for a Mr. Bump type bandage but no such luck :whistle:. I will try and have a look tomorrow.

Sky_Blue_Daz

You will need to watch the first series at least, but its fanatastic. Some great one liners, put downs and some really good visual gags
Hope the wife is ok by the way

I watch a lot of TV comedy, probably too much! Most of the really good stuff, in my view, is tucked away in late night schedules...and are mostly repeats!

I'm enjoying at the moment:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Black Books
My Name is Earl
The New Statesman (political satire with Rik Mayall playing Alan B'Stard)
The Young Ones
Bottom
Frasier
Factory (a short series, shown late night on Dave. Basically about four guys who work in a factory and the trouble they get into.)
Modern Family
Arrested Development

I'm also in my cartoon animation comedies- in some instances, Family Guy's very funny, but the newer episodes both expose the weakness of the old animations and also waste a hell amount of time setting up jokes- most of the episodes consist of filler. Moving away from that, I really enjoy American Dad!- I just feel more empathy with the characters, and Roger the Alien can be absolutely hilarious, as can Stan Smith. Bob's Burgers on E4's pretty funny too, definitely an up-and-comer!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just been watching some Only Fools and Horses, Timeless

Users who are viewing this thread