The Bears (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Was just going to say the same. He should be getting 50s and 100s for fun back in county cricket.

Cricket is different to football though and players who are internationals have often never m really tried hard for their county in championship games.

In the early 80's I watched Warwickshire a lot. If Bob Willis bowled like he did for England we'd have won everything. He never did, he trotted in off a short run for a few overs and that was it,

Ranjit Bhurpa

Still 28 points from safety with a game more played on Surrey
At last a win, always good to beat the defending champions on their own turf. Hopefully a big confidence boost. Just hope the runs and wickets of Woakes can be covered when he joins up with England again.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

At last a win, always good to beat the defending champions on their own turf. Hopefully a big confidence boost. Just hope the runs and wickets of Woakes can be covered when he joins up with England again.

Unfortunately we haven't, seriously lacking in the all rounder department, Clarke going is a loss (despite his awful red ball form) I guess you'd give Thomason a go after an ok 2020 spell.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Unfortunately we haven't, seriously lacking in the all rounder department, Clarke going is a loss (despite his awful red ball form) I guess you'd give Thomason a go after an ok 2020 spell.
Also maybe time for the top order to score more heavily and take some pressure off the tail end. Belly is due a big hundred.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Also maybe time for the top order to score more heavily and take some pressure off the tail end. Belly is due a big hundred.

Agree umeed needs some consistency, Sibley has the potential, Trott and especially Bell & Ambrose need to step up to the plate more. Fair play to Lamb scoring some runs 2nd inns expected Hose to play but he's taken his chance.

Terry Gibson's perm

Bears have been linked to Morne Morkel as a Kolpak player and Lancashire linked to Finn I think I would go for Finn first but would show intent if they went for both a nice attack that.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Bears have been linked to Morne Morkel as a Kolpak player and Lancashire linked to Finn I think I would go for Finn first but would show intent if they went for both a nice attack that.

Morkel was class in the recent series but at 33 hardly one for the future and attack is not a priority, would cost a big wedge and would be 3 year deal to make it worth his while, rather it was spent elsewhere.

Terry Gibson's perm

Morkel was class in the recent series but at 33 hardly one for the future and attack is not a priority, would cost a big wedge and would be 3 year deal to make it worth his while, rather it was spent elsewhere.

I would rather have him than two or three people like Atiq Javid and I think Rankin will go as he will be with Ireland and becomes overseas.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Pointless unless theres a plan to move forward. Like getting rid of Brown and bring Giles back in, what difference has it made?

I guess there is more to it.
But if they are building to next season and Trott will take the job on it's not a bad move.
Gutted for Bell as his dream was after finishing with England to captain the Bears for 2/3 years before retiring.
He has been handed a raw deal as the squad that started this season was simply not good enough and lacked depth and options hence why they are going down.

Terry Gibson's perm

But if they are building to next season and Trott will take the job on it's not a bad move.
Gutted for Bell as his dream was after finishing with England to captain the Bears for 2/3 years before retiring.
He has been handed a raw deal as the squad that started this season was simply not good enough and lacked depth and options hence why they are going down.

Part of the problem is that bells form is so poor that his place must be under threat, the side is poor after years of stagnation while worrying more about off field things like new stands,tests and t20 finals day.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Part of the problem is that bells form is so poor that his place must be under threat, the side is poor after years of stagnation while worrying more about off field things like new stands,tests and t20 finals day.

Well he was dropped Friday for the 2020 and it appears it's following that he resigned reading George Dobells article on cricinfo so not sure on who's terms it all was.

They do seem to have finally realised they need to spend the cash with the new players coming in and I guess 2/3 still to follow.

ccfcway

don't mind cricket, but don't follow it religiously.

Used to go to Edgbaston once every year or so, so hardy part of the core base of fans, but curious, as soon as they changed their name to Birmingham, that was me done, i'm not going again.

How's the name change gone down with everyone, has it made a difference ?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Used to go to Edgbaston once every year or so, so hardy part of the core base of fans, but curious, as soon as they changed their name to Birmingham, that was me done, i'm not going again.

I havent been to a Warwickshire game since (had a membership since I was 8 before) for one reason or another I didn't go as much in the couple of years before the name change but that was the straw that broke the camels back and I didn't renew,but i spent what felt like every Sunday their and a fair few days throughout school holidays with my dad (who also gave up his membership the season after me)

I've not warmed to the change but it doesn't irk me as much as it did at first but I won't be back over anytime soon.

Imo it alienated So many people and again like most decisions in sport it's done for the financial benefit and with no regard to the supporters or history of a club, but then again my mind set is more old school.

Ie not a fan of sporting franchises etc

Ranjit Bhurpa

I'm still not sure why they changed name for the 20/20, presumably a commercial benefit somewhere down the line. Other counties don't seem in any rush to follow suit and Warwickshire Bears sounds fine to me.
I'd like to see them play more CC matches away from Edgbaston as they used to do. From memory they were well supported out in the sticks, probably more so than staging the game at Edgbaston. Or is it like everything else these days where the centre is all powerful and sod everywhere else?

Ranjit Bhurpa

Also gutted for Bell that had he shown any of his old form this season, a recall to the England team and a possible Ashes spot could very well have happened.

Terry Gibson's perm

I'm still not sure why they changed name for the 20/20, presumably a commercial benefit somewhere down the line. Other counties don't seem in any rush to follow suit and Warwickshire Bears sounds fine to me.
I'd like to see them play more CC matches away from Edgbaston as they used to do. From memory they were well supported out in the sticks, probably more so than staging the game at Edgbaston. Or is it like everything else these days where the centre is all powerful and sod everywhere else?

I think the name change was a request from the council who lent them cash to build the new stand, it is too expensive to use the out grounds for games as the whoever hosts needs to get a lot of sponsorship.

wingy

Are there new City based franchises being opened up?
Not sure of the format, along similar lines to IPL?
Though not as awash in cash?

ccfcway

have attendances been effected at all ?

can only imagine If ccfc changed their name how emotive it would be with fans. I remember the suggested badge change !

chiefdave

I think the name change was a request from the council who lent them cash to build the new stand, it is too expensive to use the out grounds for games as the whoever hosts needs to get a lot of sponsorship.
The original reason given by the chief exec was "Birmingham and Edgbaston has been the club’s home since 1886 and we believe that adopting the Birmingham Bears name for the NatWest T20 Blast presents a great opportunity for us to engage even more closely with fans living and working at the heart of the city.". Obvious problem there if you're not from Birmingham you've been excluded.

It was all a bit suspect as they didn't mention the council at first but then when there was uproar they dragged the council in to it and it turned out it was down to them although all the reference to it on the council website were removed. After complaints the deputy leader of BCC was put in the firing line and said "I must admit I hadn’t expected this furore. We want to bring new spectators, with a focus on attracting more Asian families and more businessmen and women, along to Edgbaston."

Even now a few years down the line every post they make on social media which references Birmingham Bears gets loads of responses from people saying they aren't from Birmingham or that they should change it back to Warwickshire.

They might have to in 2020 when the new city based T20 competition comes in as that will most likely have a Birmingham team in it.

Grendel

They used to play in the 80's in other grounds now and again. I remember them playing at courtalds and Willis having to do his run up from off the pitch.

I remember a game at Stratford as well and also somewhere else near rugby I think.

Some did it a lot more but they should move championship games around as local interest will be higher.

chiefdave

Some did it a lot more but they should move championship games around as local interest will be higher.
Remember going to C&W and it was packed. Used to go to Edgbaston for county games and at most you'd have a handful of people there.

The official reason they don't do it anymore is they've spent so much on Edgbaston they need to use it as much as possible but that doesn't make sense to me. Surely better to get out and about and play in front of more people.

Users who are viewing this thread