The Bears (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

How does that work then? You have a Birmingham team in both competitions or will Birmingham Bears now revert to Warwickshire?

As I said above maybe the West Midlands wasps:emoji_poop:

Terry Gibson's perm

Good to see they have given 100 hours to terrestrial tv, football should take note

tisza

Agree but on the plus side we might get the ‘Warwickshire Bears’ back!

Hops so.
Maybe be petty but as soon as they changed the name lost interest in them.
Maybe it's a football fan mentality.
But I'm from Warwickshire - not Birmingham.

The other point - way too much 20/20. Test side already suffering from 4 day timetable disruption.
Just see young players concentrating on 20/20 skills/mentality etc. for maximum financial reward.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Hops so.
Maybe be petty but as soon as they changed the name lost interest in them.
Maybe it's a football fan mentality.
But I'm from Warwickshire - not Birmingham.

The other point - way too much 20/20. Test side already suffering from 4 day timetable disruption.
Just see young players concentrating on 20/20 skills/mentality etc. for maximum financial reward.

They’ve said the 2 comps WONT run alongside each other so some players will play double 2020.

It’s going to end in disaster for the red ball game.

tisza

Good to see they have given 100 hours to terrestrial tv, football should take note
if the tournament is successful don't believe that it'll stay on terrestial tv.
Going to need the money.
Aren't going to get the top overseas 20/20 players coming for "BBC wages".

tisza

They’ve said the 2 comps WONT run alongside each other so some players will play double 2020.

It’s going to end in disaster for the red ball game.
Not just the Ashes. People seem to overlook how scruffy last summer's Test series were.
Some really naive (one day mentality) cricket against West Indies and a depleted South Africa.
Can see India handing us a beating this summer if we can't find a couple of batsmen that can tough it out and build an innings.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not just the Ashes. People seem to overlook how scruffy last summer's Test series were.
Some really naive (one day mentality) cricket against West Indies and a depleted South Africa.
Can see India handing us a beating this summer if we can't find a couple of batsmen that can tough it out and build an innings.

Exactly India have developed a few useful seamers that they’ve lacked before.

Really needs a bit more grittiness to the England batting line up.

Terry Gibson's perm

if the tournament is successful don't believe that it'll stay on terrestial tv.
Going to need the money.
Aren't going to get the top overseas 20/20 players coming for "BBC wages".

There is a benefit for the pay channels in some cricket being free to air as hopefully they will get new followers who then get pay tv

BBC wages are good nowadays if you are a man;)

tisza

case in point - Adil Rashid just announced only playing white ball cricket this year. sign of things to come

tisza

actually worse than i thought this new tournament.
Going to be 38 days July//August (easiest months already to sell tickets for existing competitions)
Going to run alongside 50 over competition. They reckon each county will lose an average of 4-5 players for the duration - so will weaken 50 over cricket.
Players won't be getting enough 1 day cricket and whose going to want to pay to watch county cricket 2nd XIs play in the 50 over comptetion (or pay to broadcast it)
Obviously going to run alongside Test matches. So players will have no long-form cricket form if they are called up for Tests.
Cricket admin is a complete mess in this country atm.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Chasing the money the ECB milking absolutely everything out of it by 2025 the Test side will be on its knees and domestic Cricket will be damaged forever in my view.
But the coffers and the top end players will be well set for life.

50 over finals being moved from Lords to Trent Bridge is a joke as well.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

case in point - Adil Rashid just announced only playing white ball cricket this year. sign of things to come

Should be in the Test squad as it is and should certainly be in the Test squad for next winters tours to the sub continent.

The likes of Hales, Roy, Buttler will all follow suit before long.

tisza

Should be in the Test squad as it is and should certainly be in the Test squad for next winters tours to the sub continent.

The likes of Hales, Roy, Buttler will all follow suit before long.
calendar becoming a procession of 20/20 tournaments. Player like Stokes can just give up all other forms and make a fantastic living - IPL to English 20/20 to Big Bash with a few smaller ones in between.

English spinners get too little red ball cricket aleady. Sad state of affairs when Ali remains number one spinner (basically because he can bat).

tisza

Lack of spin bowlers affects the batsmen as well.
Just seen the Lions results on WI tour.
Being destroyed by spin bowling.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Lack of spin bowlers affects the batsmen as well.
Just seen the Lions results on WI tour.
Being destroyed by spin bowling.

2 games in a row.

Yet our number 2 red ball spinner (Mason Crane)hardly bowled, Jack Leach (who id have ahead of Crane) & part of Liam Livingstone

tisza

2 games in a row.

Yet our number 2 red ball spinner (Mason Crane)hardly bowled, Jack Leach (who id have ahead of Crane) & part of Liam Livingstone
problem is not facing decent spin in domestic cricket because 4 day cricket calender doesn't encourage sides to play/develop spin.
Going to uproar this summer when we collapse at home to Indian spinners.

tisza

Hales following Rashid in sacking off red ball cricket.

Really becoming freelance now.
won't be the last.
Used to think people like Holding were exaggerating when they said 20/20 would kill off Test cricket.
Cash (and the power it's giving players) usurping cricket authorities.
Can't help thinking we'll reach a stage in 2/3 years when there will be another big radical overhaul which will either see the balance restored or authorities completely giving up on Test cricket/ 4 day cricket.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

won't be the last.
Used to think people like Holding were exaggerating when they said 20/20 would kill off Test cricket.
Cash (and the power it's giving players) usurping cricket authorities.
Can't help thinking we'll reach a stage in 2/3 years when there will be another big radical overhaul which will either see the balance restored or authorities completely giving up on Test cricket/ 4 day cricket.

I’m convinced within a decade Test Cricket will be gone.
20/20 will be pretty much all there will be North America will get into it, Japan and China and it’ll be a circus.

Absolute farce they’ve ruined a fantastic sport for pure greed (authorities I’m digging at can’t blame the players!)

tisza

I’m convinced within a decade Test Cricket will be gone.
20/20 will be pretty much all there will be North America will get into it, Japan and China and it’ll be a circus.

Absolute farce they’ve ruined a fantastic sport for pure greed (authorities I’m digging at can’t blame the players!)
Problem is authorities playing catch-up with IPL.
What do England cricket players get paid? Ashes stars salaries revealed | Metro News
IPL wages blew the rest of cricket out of the water.
ECB need to realize to fund these contracts they have to have a successful Test side or TV contracts will be worth nothing. Already find it difficult to attract or hold sponsors for tournaments.

tisza

2 games in a row.

3 games in a row. Complete collapse against spin again - still feels wrong being spun out by a WI side rather than blasted out.
So not much encouragement for players being capable of stepping up this summer if required.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

needs to kick on this season.
woeful in Championship last year.
mind you none of the batsmen averaged over 40.
Interesting season with a lot of youth in the side

You’d think Hain should be pushing for 1,000 CC runs this season in div 2 even if their is 2 games less.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Quite tempted to get a season ticket for the T20. 7 games for £77, all Friday day night games or Saturday.

3 Friday 2 Sunday 1 each on a Wednesday & Thursday

I will be back once they drop the Birmingham tag! Rarely missed a home 2020 before haven’t been since.

SkyBlueSoul

Quite tempted to get a season ticket for the T20. 7 games for £77, all Friday day night games or Saturday.

Definitely worth it. Being in Manchester I'm tempted to do the same for Lancs just to get my cricket fill this summer (Going to the Eng v Aus ODI at Old Trafford too). £70 in the liveliest stand for all 7 men's T20's and 2 women's T20s.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Definitely worth it. Being in Manchester I'm tempted to do the same for Lancs just to get my cricket fill this summer (Going to the Eng v Aus ODI at Old Trafford too). £70 in the liveliest stand for all 7 men's T20's and 2 women's T20s.

Cheaper than going to 1 day of the Test at edgbaston v India!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Unbeaten ton for Hain playing for the MCC in the game v Champs Essex.
If he finds red ball form he’ll have an England cap before the years out.

Users who are viewing this thread