The bad news about future FIFA football tournaments (1 Viewer)

Joy Division

Ha, ha!!

giphy.gif

Your first post was a bit dodge to be fair mate

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Well your reply here as only added to my thoughts that you have no idea what sexism actually is. You are either on the wind up or just stupid, my guess is both.

The only thing that is stupid is getting upset about good looking women at football matches getting 3 seconds of air time.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who is so weak they get offended by this. I also pity those who crave social brownie points by pretending they suddenly feel ashamed of it.

Otis

If there's a general consenus that it's in any way offensive I am of course happy to delete it, but I am puzzled as to why anyone would find it offensive.

Just showed it my my daughter and all her friends that are round here at the moment and none of them can see anything wrong with it. :) It was honestly made lightheartedly and never intended to cause any offence.

Hence the puzzlement.

Otis

The only thing that is stupid is getting upset about good looking women at football matches getting 3 seconds of air time.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who is so weak they get offended by this. I also pity those who crave social brownie points by pretending they suddenly feel ashamed of it.
You are a bloke though. As I said earlier, doesn't bother me personally at all, but is it offensive to women?

I'm sure pretty much all blokes don't have that much of a problem with it, but it is something I have defintely noticed how they target who they pick out to film and show.

Joy Division

I'm not upset at all, just a bit bemused why you are so vehemently angry that women should have an opinion on something. It doesn't anger me to see images of attractive women on TV at football matches but clearly in this world cup it has been a focus of the TV directors, and it's worth listening to the opinions of those who it might upset. How do you explain it to a young daughter who is just getting into watching football, do we tell them that to attend football matches you have to be attractive and dolled up...or just to be themselves?

It's not about me or about you, stop trying to be so outraged about it.

Joy Division

If there's a general consenus that it's in any way offensive I am of course happy to delete it, but I am puzzled as to why anyone would find it offensive.

Just showed it my my daughter and all her friends that are round here at the moment and none of them can see anything wrong with it. :) It was honestly made lightheartedly and never intended to cause any offence.

Hence the puzzlement.

Did you show it to any of her muslim friends?

tommydazzle

People get muddled on this issue. We should respect the right to hold an opinion, believe in whatever but we don't have to respect that opinion or belief. There is no right to not be offended. As a secularist I find all religions offensive and an affront to the ideas of the enlightenment and potentially dangerous as based on dogma rather than reason. I don't expect anybody to be offended on my behalf though. After all, how would you protect me from all the religious symbolism I see all around me eveyday?

Religion like any other idea is fair game for ridicule, satire and comedy. It's a very dangerous road to go down if offence prevents free speech.

Otis

People get muddled on this issue. We should respect the right to hold an opinion, believe in whatever but we don't have to respect that opinion or belief. There is no right to not be offended. As a secularist I find all religions offensive and an affront to the ideas of the enlightenment and potentially dangerous as based on dogma rather than reason. I don't expect anybody to be offended on my behalf though. After all, how would you protect me from all the religious symbolism I see all around me eveyday?

Religion like any other idea is fair game for ridicule, satire and comedy. It's a very dangerous road to go down if offence prevents free speech.
Some very fair points, Tommy.

Varies all over the globe too. In the west we can say 'Jesus!' and 'For God's sake' in temper or jest, but it is completely different with Mohammed and Islam.

There's also a fine line between poking a bit of fun and being downright offensive. Depends how it was said, when it was said and who said it. Context is very important.

Honestly thought CC4L was on the wind up.

Still not sure.

lifeskyblue

Hear hear. Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joy Division

I was focusing on sexism to honest, which is kind of a big deal.

Covstu

It’s a fucking joke to be honest... people getting offended by everything these days. Similar to the podium girls in F1 and cycling, personally don’t bother me whether they are there or not.

Just think it’s getting too daft that a grouping of people are offended or outraged by something so we automatically ban it rather than give a choice. Similar situation with neutral gender people trying to ban skirts at schools now. Can’t you give people a choice rather than take it away!

Grendel

My wife thought it was sexist and moaned about it and said it was wrong every time they did it.

As terry gibsons perm says there are far worse things going on in the world....however that doesn't make it OK. The Tour de France and other grand tours have stopped using podium girls due to sexism.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The thing is though when that bloke in poldark is blatantly treated as a sex object by middle aged women and the comments made would never be allowed if it was aimed at a female actress

Westendlad

Hence the puzzlement.
Its not offensive Otis.

Sick Boy

Hence the puzzlement.

There's nothing particularly wrong with it, IMO.

A lot of Middle Eastern - Saudi and Iranian in particular - are incredibly attractive as well.

Sick Boy

Are the cameras the same cameras that are shown around the world? If so, it's not really a surprise, is it? During the last WC I watched it on Italian TV and every 5 minutes there would be a shot of a model in a mini-skirt slowly moving up from her feet to her face.

A lot of other countries in the world do have a problem with sexism, but the UK is ahead of a lot of other countries.

On a side note, I see @Earlsdon_Skyblue1 has gone on about 'virtue signalling' again haha!

Westendlad

Used to love the westerns when growing up. Used to have a holster and rifle and sit on the arm of the sofa pretending it was a horse playing cowboys and indians......Ohhh shit that's me reported :)

Covstu

I get the point they are making I.e. screenshot for the lads but when you look at programmes such as love island where a bunch of self obsessed idiots are trying to cheat and shag around then you think this isn’t too bad is it?

pipkin73

So much confusion here. My Mrs was an ex dancer (had her career destroyed by an accident) and also appeared as an extra on Hollyoaks a few times.
As far as she was concerned the more you were noticed the more chance you have of getting a job.
I've seen so many reports in the papers that so many of these women are prostitutes etc (but the high end class) and flaunt there bodies to make as much as they can whilst the world cup is on. These women are the ones ruining it for the normal women (not us men as we never dressed or put them there), as the normal looking woman still wants to go out and look beautiful and get picked up on camera as it will make her tournament and something for her to talk about for the rest of her life. Just like the Guy/Woman/child who catches the ball in baseball.
Nothing wrong with showing beautiful women on screen, during the game they will also show 500 ugly/average men. About time the political lot actually got real and asked the people they stand up for what they actually want.
I could say a lot more but i think i've given a general opinion

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread