The Academy (2 Viewers)

Gint11

The Academy is a must.

Covstu

A team without an academy is a team in trouble. You only have to look at our team and their ages of proof to how our academy is working. Being cat 2 sucks as they are prime pickings for the bigger boys but it would be a disaster if we didnt have one.

Skyblueweeman

Good OP...like the subliminal thoughts behind it and the fact that some are thinking the question was serious.

OSBs post is (as always), insightful and factually useful for simpletons like me. Bloody depressing though....

DaleM

It was my biggest concern and was assured it would retain it's category 2 status 3 months or so ago and it has been.

So questions need to be asked of
CCC & ACL -IMHO

Enlighten me . What have Acl or CCC got to do with this ?

James Smith

It was my biggest concern and was assured it would retain it's category 2 status 3 months or so ago and it has been.

CCC & ACL -IMHO
It was my understanding from posts on here that we only kept our Category 2 status because we were assessed at the Higgs Centre and I don't think we'd get it now at Warwick Uni. CCC and ACL were nothing to do with this facility other than one of the shareholders of ACL stumped up the cash to pay for it. The fact that it was I believe originally built with our Academy in mind and now isn't being used by them thanks to SISU is very sad.

So what questions do ACL and CCC have to answer about Sisu not paying the bills for tractor maintenance (or whatever it was) and why?

Steve_footymad

If the Academy was to then that would be me finished with the club!!!!

It the one and only good thing the club has going for it that IMO isn't rotten!! Over recent years we've produced some good players

Brighton Sky Blue

Mr Coventry has spoken to the League about the full ramifications of having no academy-they had to lodge a £1 million bond with them to bring it back within 50 years. Mr C has also been entrusted with handling the PR fall-out from such a move to the fans.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

CCC & ACL -IMHO

As I understand it The Alan Higgs Centre is owned by the Alan Higgs Centre Trust and operated by the Coventry Sports Foundation. Both registered charities

CCFC Academy had a lease arrangement with the Alan Higgs Centre Trust that it failed to pay for. That debt became part of the administration of CCFC Ltd. I believe they left owing over £12k. It was not the first time that CCFC had failed to pay its bills on time to the centre having been locked out of the premises for non payment on at least one occassion.

so what are the questions to be asked of CCC and ACL regarding the Academy and its use of the Alan Higgs Centre ?

I do not think we can rely on a category 2 audit conducted in February that included a check of the facilities available when presently there are no equivalent facilities available for the academy to use. As I said my understanding is that the FL are reviewing the situation and that could mean withdrawal of Category 2. The acadmy is at risk because CCFC dont want to use facilities that are available.

ccfcmustang

Coventry City are a selling club, do you think for one minute SISU would close something that could POTENTIALLY give them a viable source of revenue?

dplzll

The academy have 2 weeks left at Warwick uni, apparently discussion has taken place for there return to the Higgs centre , does anyone know the outcome of the meeting ?

PWKH

The academy have 2 weeks left at Warwick uni, apparently discussion has taken place for there return to the Higgs centre , does anyone know the outcome of the meeting ?

There has been no such meeting. There have been no talks. There are none planned.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
so is the logic of that then that CCFC have nowhere suitable for a Category 2 academy and that status is at risk

Also if they have to leave Warwick Uni in 2 weeks what are the alternative arrangements

Samo

OP is a scamp. This is wind-up thread and we shouldn't dignify it with a reply. Damn!!!

dplzll

There is no where else in the city which meets the cat 2 requirements , so if not the Higgs , it looks like we will lose are academy

theferret

There has been no such meeting. There have been no talks. There are none planned.

That sounds very final.

Of course, a good man like yourself with all the right intentions I am sure is eager to at least try and do the right thing. I take it then you have been on the phone to the relevant people within the club asking if everyone might get around the table to sort out a deal on this issue? Solving the RA issue is difficult I know, but reuniting the academy and Higgs Center is surely not beyond the wit of man? Even if only short term.

And I'm sure you wouldn't let a personal grudge get in the way of doing the right thing, so what was the response of the club when you made this approach? Just curious.

DazzleTommyDazzle

That sounds very final.

Of course, a good man like yourself with all the right intentions I am sure is eager to at least try and do the right thing. I take it then you have been on the phone to the relevant people within the club asking if everyone might get around the table to sort out a deal on this issue? Solving the RA issue is difficult I know, but reuniting the academy and Higgs Center is surely not beyond the wit of man? Even if only short term.

And I'm sure you wouldn't let a personal grudge get in the way of doing the right thing, so what was the response of the club when you made this approach? Just curious.

As a matter of interest, what did Mr Fisher say when you asked him the question?

Seyeclops666

That sounds very final.

Please please come back and not pay any rent for our amazing facilities supporting CCFC and the City of Coventry - you tosser!!

wes_cov

That sounds very final.

Why should the Higgs be the ones chasing when SISU screwed them over and left them out of pocket?

theferret

Oh come on, can you not see the point I was making?

I was being deliberately mischievous of course, but I was trying to make a serious point. Tim Fisher is regarded by many as a rather unpleasant individual - and nobody can seriously dispute that based on recent events. The likes of PWKH don't have to be like that however and can distance themselves from the allegations that "they're all as bad as each other". Well, prove you're not. Surely, this is about the academy, not the planet sized egos of the likes of TF and I'm afraid to say, PWKH, who must have been expelled from his charm school at an early age.

I am sure he is a very nice guy and all that, but the statement: 'here has been no such meeting. There have been no talks. There are none planned' reeks of bitterness.

Surely, what is important here is the academy, and if it's necessary to dance with the devil for a little while to protect it, then why not try? People would respect that sort of thing - it would be the classy thing to do. And if SISU rejected the idea? Well then that would be yet another reason to convince us all that they care nothing about this football club. The other possibility of course is that the say yes, let's talk, and how can that be a bad thing?

If the Israelis and Palestinians can get around a negotiating table, then surely to God TF and PWKH (or their representatives) can get together and discuss the use of a fucking sports centre.

letsallsingtogether

Why were they getting rid of the academy?
Why not blame the Higgs Trust for not being paid?

CCC & ACL -IMHO

James Smith

Oh come on, can you not see the point I was making?

I was being deliberately mischievous of course, but I was trying to make a serious point. Tim Fisher is regarded by many as a rather unpleasant individual - and nobody can seriously dispute that based on recent events. The likes of PWKH don't have to be like that however and can distance themselves from the allegations that "they're all as bad as each other". Well, prove you're not. Surely, this is about the academy, not the planet sized egos of the likes of TF and I'm afraid to say, PWKH, who must have been expelled from his charm school at an early age.

I am sure he is a very nice guy and all that, but the statement: 'here has been no such meeting. There have been no talks. There are none planned' reeks of bitterness.

Surely, what is important here is the academy, and if it's necessary to dance with the devil for a little while to protect it, then why not try? People would respect that sort of thing - it would be the classy thing to do. And if SISU rejected the idea? Well then that would be yet another reason to convince us all that they care nothing about this football club. The other possibility of course is that the say yes, let's talk, and how can that be a bad thing?

If the Israelis and Palestinians can get around a negotiating table, then surely to God TF and PWKH (or their representatives) can get together and discuss the use of a fucking sports centre.

How are you reading bitterness into that statement? I just saw it as a quick statement, the sort that I'd post if I was on a phone when posting and didn't like typing long sections of text on it or wanted to be brief as I was short of time.

PWKH

Ferret was making a serious point and the return of the CCFC Academy to the Higgs Centre has been discussed by its Trustees and with Coventry Sports Foundation, which manages the Centre.

If the Sisu web of companies were prepared to pay all that is owed: the repair of equipment and the charges from January to March and to pay for the pitch renovation that we are now completing we would meet. A charity cannot subsidise a commercial company.

Just as the Trustees approved the CVA so the Trustees would decide as Trustees what was in the best interests of the Centre. Their duty is to the Centre and its charitable objectives. Should an agreement with a commercial operation support those objectives and was risk free then the Trustees would be able to enter into it.

As the place was built to meet the Academy requirements in 2003/4 so it is able to meet most of the 2013 requirements. The indoor pitch was not up to the standard required by the Academy as it is now worn out. That will take c£100,000 to replace. I am not sure whether the Sisu web of companies would wish to donate that, but the Trustees would be open to proposals.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Ferret was making a serious point and the return of the CCFC Academy to the Higgs Centre has been discussed by its Trustees and with Coventry Sports Foundation, which manages the Centre.

If the Sisu web of companies were prepared to pay all that is owed: the repair of equipment and the charges from January to March and to pay for the pitch renovation that we are now completing we would meet. A charity cannot subsidise a commercial company.

Just as the Trustees approved the CVA so the Trustees would decide as Trustees what was in the best interests of the Centre. Their duty is to the Centre and its charitable objectives. Should an agreement with a commercial operation support those objectives and was risk free then the Trustees would be able to enter into it.

As the place was built to meet the Academy requirements in 2003/4 so it is able to meet most of the 2013 requirements. The indoor pitch was not up to the standard required by the Academy as it is now worn out. That will take c£100,000 to replace. I am not sure whether the Sisu web of companies would wish to donate that, but the Trustees would be open to proposals.

What are the charitable objectives and how are they manifested in the Alan Higgs Centre? I am not questioning you I am just trying to understand what the main purpose of the AHC is.

Who owned the MSA that was on the site prior to the AHC being built?

Users who are viewing this thread