The Academy (1 Viewer)

lordsummerisle

Do you think it's a good idea or should we close it to cut costs?

Danceswithhorses

Seeing as most of our squad will seemingly come from the academy, it would be a HUGE mistake for SISU to ruin our academy

lordsummerisle

Would you not support the board then if they considered it?

Surely a good PR campaign by them could convince us that it's a good idea?

CarpyCov84

What sort of stupid thread is this ??? Of course we need the academy hence the likes of Daniels & Wilson etc coming through....

Jesus !!!

James Smith

Is this anything to do with the board meeting minutes from 2008?

Tonylinc

Would you not support the board then if they considered it?

Surely a good PR campaign by them could convince us that it's a good idea?
Can't seem to understand what your getting at here. You know as well as us that the academy is vital to CCFC so what is your point?

shmmeee

I think the point is Elliot and Hoffman (anyone else pronounce that like a BayWatch themed superhero in their head?) were on board with shutting the academy.

Perhaps also that we shouldn't back a bid from them, I'll cross that bridge should we come to it personally.

NorthernWisdom

I'll cross that bridge should we come to it personally.

Personally I reckon it's a good idea to frame the debate now in a way that makes sure we do indeed have a choice other than the no other choice that saves us when nobody else is willing to ;)

The work has been going on for a while to frame the debate as no other option, after all.

And there are always options... unless the debate is framed in that way.

shmmeee

Personally I reckon it's a good idea to frame the debate now in a way that makes sure we do indeed have a choice other than the no other choice that saves us when nobody else is willing to ;)

The work has been going on for a while to frame the debate as no other option, after all.

And there are always options... unless the debate is framed in that way.

You may be right, Id hope most don't see it as one option and if the bidding process is reopened then we know more about the options on the table.

My personal favourite is fan ownership followed by fan involvement. It's unfortunate that Elliot is heading up the only group to have talked about that. But boards and chairman can and do change, and it may well be a case of choosing the lesser of two evils.

NorthernWisdom

You may be right, Id hope most don't see it as one option and if the bidding process is reopened then we know more about the options on the table.

The problem with all this at the moment, is it means sub-stories running parallel to the main one get a bit lost. Another time, another place(!) and they'd be quite worth delving into, they might even be the main headlines... or they might generate the main headlines of course.

There's an interesting little one about how the Haskell/Elliott/Hoffman bid has been framed. In a way, it's a more media savvy version of that which saw SISU as only option.

It is, in short, an attempt to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Doubly unfortunate that Elliott is heading up the only group to talk about fan involvement, when he was so active in taking it away previously!

Personally I can live without fan ownership. In this country, it tends not to work so well, and even when it does (Exeter) the club reaches a stage where the self-same fans get ever louder in their desire to show some ambition, give it a go, push the boat out on the wage budget or a new signing. A decent responsible chairman who quite fancies owning us (as opposed to AN Other football club) and wants us for reasons other than financial gains or property development opportunities would do me...

I know, I know, I've just woken up. But I can dream, can't I?

What I wouldn't do is trust promises made by people who have made countless vapid statements before, who bend like the willow, and who follow the winds of change...

RFC

It was my biggest concern and was assured it would retain it's category 2 status 3 months or so ago and it has been.

So questions need to be asked of
CCC & ACL -IMHO

mark82

It was my biggest concern and was assured it would retain it's category 2 status 3 months or so ago and it has been.

So questions need to be asked of
CCC & ACL -IMHO

Was that at fans forums?

For me the academy is essential. It's the future of our club an, let us not forget, provides an important revenue stream.

Grendel

Ha ha ha ha ha! Wheres Ginetta?

lifelongcityfan

grendel, you are getting worse. there was a time a time you could put up a reasoned (but biased) argument, now you resort to cheap jibes . time to reinvent youself methinks... or time for bed!!!

Grendel

grendel, you are getting worse. there was a time a time you could put up a reasoned (but biased) argument, now you resort to cheap jibes . time to reinvent youself methinks... or time for bed!!!

You keep mentioning going to bed....is there a subliminal message somewhere?

Steve_footymad

So my mates son plays in the academy and tells me it is possible at risk??? Has anyone else heard this?

Apparently Warwick is only been used as a temporary venue?

georgehudson

i spoke with a lad who is at the academy,
he wants to play for Coventry City, he's passionate about it,
there are 100's of lads like him, he said, he just wants to play football for OUR club,
but as he said, we don't know what's going on,
keep the faith lads,
'they shan't defeat us we'll fight till the game is won'

James Smith

So my mates son plays in the academy and tells me it is possible at risk??? Has anyone else heard this?

Apparently Warwick is only been used as a temporary venue?

Don't worry they'll be building a new facility for the Academy at the White Elephant stadium :facepalm:

Where are the new stadium plans Tim?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
The academy may have received category 2 status but it was based on facilities that they no longer have access to. My understanding is that the FL will work with the club to see if those gaps in category 2 status can be rectified. That would I assume mean a detailed plan as to how and when, I would expect that Waggot is the man heading this up for the club.

A key feature of category 2 is a full sized indoor pitch and presently there is only one of those in the area - at the Alan Higgs Centre. That might not be the case in future, yes the club could be building their own but that wont be ready any time soon requires somewhere to build it and planning permission ....................or perhaps worryingly the Alan Higgs Centre may decide to use the indoor space differently and we lose the ability to be category 2 for quite a while (wont say for ever because things can change). The situation remains unclear like so much else at the club - but in our situation the right development policy is vital and it is very competitive between the clubs in the area. The higher standard we can operate at the better

Therefore I suspect the FL are currently reviewing the situation and are concerned that the Academy will have to be down graded. Also on the basis that the club doesnt currently fulfill the criteria for the category 2 status it holds I would expect that CCFC have yet to receive any of the grant due from the FL.

If it does get down graded that is bad news for the youngsters involved, the club and the fans losing it entirely would be even worse in my opinion

Last edited:

jesus-wept

Is it ACL, the Council or SISU's fault the bill at the Higgs centre was unpaid.

jesus-wept

But apparently under Fisher and Waggott things are better than previous sisu regimes ie Imre, Clouting and Dulieu ?

Sky Blue Kid

If I remember correctly, the Football Club is awarded nearly £500k for the Academy. If there is any downgrading, it will be solely down to Shitzu and their ineptitude to run a Football Club properly. Or indeed their greedy bosses pocketing the fund for themselves(Non payment of maintenance backs this up)

Users who are viewing this thread