Tell me why he should keep his job? (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Well said.

People seem to forget that we were minutes away from being relegated to League f**king Two last season.
That was last season though? This season how many clear inside the play offs were we?

Or is as long as we aren't relegated acceptable?

jim20

I am not one for continually sacking managers, and feel we do at some stage need to stick with someone for a good couple of years, but to go from first to this is a disgrace. If we were playing youngsters and building a long term team I could understand, but we are not and it will all have to start again from next year, which means he might as well go now to give someone else time to settle in.

I'm personally a bit bored of sacking managers all the time, would like to see someone actually get the time to create something. Someone mentioned Dean Smith as a replacement for him on another thread, who I believe took 3 seasons to make Walsall into the side they are today that he left and that included a 19th placed finish.

Plus I'd rather keep him and use the funds we save from not sacking him, to improve the squad players wise.

It took 3 years, because his best players were sold from underneath him every summer, and he didn't have anywhere near the budget Mowbray has to work with.

Added to that, he signed young hungry players that the club made money on...not past-it players on high wages that don't have drive or ambition anymore, that you can't sell on for profit.

nmp2327

Absolutely stick with TM, just look at the bad luck he has has with defensive injuries for next season lets build from the back including an experienced goalie who can breed confidence that will spread throughout the team next year.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yeah, I'm with this. Can't see that it's a better squad at all, but tbh most of it is of Mowbrays choice. Cole, Hunt and Fortune have not done the job.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last season Pressley had basically built a league 2 squad. I'm struggling to think of a player that left last summer who would get into our strongest team.

We simply have some supporters who will excuse or put up with failure, no matter what. They blame the players, but they're Mowbray's players. They say he's a great manager, but on what basis is he?
Raise your standards and expect better.

Calista

In the past 10 weeks we have lost in the Third Division to Colchester, Peterborough, Shrewsbury, Rochdale, Barnsley, Fleetwood, Scunthorpe, Southend and Burton.

Like everyone else, I’ve endured some hard times following this club, but surely this is the most pathetic run of the lot.

Despite all that, I still lean towards giving TM his second season. The fact that we are committed to so few of the players for next year might be a good thing, because the team that starts next season needs to be a hell of a lot better.

NorthernWisdom

But are they on the pitch taking penalties? Or not tracking back?

Easy to use Burton as an example, but they're the exception - just like Yeovil and Blackpool were...

Ultimately, the best thing to do is to fix the club, and then the manager gets fixed as a consequence of that.

Sometimes without the tools, then an intrinsic urge towards mediocrity hits a club.

Unless we were just *really* unlucky to have only appointed shit managers, bar the one who wisely walked out before he had a chance to suffer the downturn...

oscillatewildly

Absolutely stick with TM, just look at the bad luck he has has with defensive injuries for next season lets build from the back including an experienced goalie who can breed confidence that will spread throughout the team next year.
But the problem hasn't just been about defensive injuries, has it?

lifeskyblue

Best start to a season for years, best football for a generation. Biggest blow up I can remember. Went from unbelievably good to unbelievably bad. Should he keep his job?...yes... But if we don't start well next season then he must get sacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dongonzalos

He should keep his job because

Most of the time he gets us playing exciting attractive football

He is still a big name in football and can attract people like Joe Cole.

He demands to be in charge of all foitball decisions and doesn't seem to accept interference.

He will make ballsy decisions JOB was a big player to ship out. If he was having a bad influence in the dressing room then FairPlay.

He signed......

Armstrong
Murphy
Kent
Joe Cole
Turner
Jones

He has only had one summer to bring in his own players

In doing so we have moved from 17th to 9th

Hopefully with one more summer we will move from 9th to promotion.

Waggot said our budget this season was 8th-6th

We are currently 9th so he hasn't over achieved. However he isn't underachieving to the extent that some would have us believe.

When we were top of the table he was massively over achieving

Nick

Administrator

He demands to be in charge of all foitball decisions and doesn't seem to accept interference.

He will make ballsy decisions JOB was a big player to ship out. If he was having a bad influence in the dressing room then FairPlay.

He signed......

Armstrong
Murphy
Kent
Joe Cole
Turner
Jones

We are currently 9th so he hasn't over achieved. However he isn't underachieving to the extent that some would have us believe.

Most of the time, where is this football you speak of?

Why if job was a bad influence haven't things improved since he went?

Terry Gibson's perm

He signed......

Armstrong
Murphy
Kent
Joe Cole
Turner
Jones

About right for me this I am normally all for sacking the manager but I don't think we should with this one give him the summer to rebuild and he also needs to look at himself a bit.

Nick

Administrator
But then do we give him a summer, then get rid in November and a new manager be stuck with a squad he didn't pick?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He signed......

Armstrong
Murphy
Kent
Joe Cole
Turner
Jones

Attractive football means nothing unless it's effective. I'd rather we did a Burton and won every game 1-0. Anyone who thinks otherwise should go and support Man Utd.

Shipping out JOB was a personality thing and like how he has prioritised other players this season, it has been a favourites competition. At Christmas JOB would have been first on the team sheet, but since the 'messiah' got rid of him suddenly we don't miss him... (Clearly we do).

If we were 8th or abouts all season I could live with our position, but to be almost top at Christmas to where we are now is completely unforgivable. He can have another summer, but it isn't about bringing in the right players, it's about using them. We have Rose for example, who has looked really promising, but has only got a look in 3 games ago. Again, favourites competion.

As for the signings...

Armstrong - Great
Murphy - Awful
Kent - Overated
Joe Cole - Underperforming
Turner - Unfortunate
Jones - Too early to judge

It's hard to think we would find a better manager, and whilst I don't think we should sack him yet, he really has a lot to prove to myself personally. His man management this season has been awful.

dongonzalos

But then do we give him a summer, then get rid in November and a new manager be stuck with a squad he didn't pick?

No give him till January. November is too early. New signings need time to gel.

Whatever we do don't let him sign 10 players then give him three games!!!!
Then sign the messiah who wasn't really the messiah

The new manager ( I don't think we will be needing one) gets the January transfer window. Then the next summer and so on.

rupert_bear

Will be interesting to hear ChrisAndersons take on things when he next comments, still not sure on exactly what he is hired for is it really to get this club higher up the leagues ? We will see

Otis

Armstrong - Yes, great signing

Murphy - Ultimately proved to be a very poor signing. Very good ability, but I think we all have to accept his positional play, covering and tracking back etc. has proved to be a big Achilles Heel for him. His form is patchy at best and his head drops too easily.

Kent - Failed to replace him. Team suffered greatly as a result.

Joe Cole - Poor signing. First we spent weeks trying to integrate him into the team and wait for him to get fit and then we tried to get our play to work around him, rather than him slot into the system we were playing. He slowed things down greatly in his play.

Turner - An accident waiting to happen and he was only here to gain match fitness.

Jones - Hopefully a very good signing.

In doing so we have moved from 17th to 9th? - You do know the season isn't over yet don't you? Talk about spin!

We have moved from top to 9th, been on a horrendous run and continue to fall away alarming (from 11 points clear of 7th, to 8 points behind 6th. From being ahead of Burton in the table, to now being an incredible 19 points behind!)

I like the bloke, but .....

This is the third time this has happened to him. That should set massive alarm bells off for us! I am sure I am not alone in fully expecting this same thing to happen again next season.

Ricketts should have been dropped an age ago, but he has been ever present all season, injury apart.

Reda - We all knew it and it wasn't a question of if, just of when.

We started off really well, but then teams put systems in place that nullified us. This started happening way back in October and November. TM never, ever found a counter to this. We never adapted and just kept trying the same thing and it kept not working.

We needed to change our game and we didn't.

Another really worrying factor now too is that we are looking incredibly likely to be carrying a distinct lack of positivity into the summer. It has been a horrendous fall from grace.

Next season we want to be in a position of starting to build on what we had this! What we have is a dreadful run, our being very low confidence and us left with no strikeforce.

We will be starting from a position of palpable negativity and no positivity whatsoever.

Saying we were top for a bit months earlier in the season is nothing to be positive about, when it was followed by relegation form for the rest of the campaign.

The trend is downwards and has been so now for 4 months.

There are going to be very few positives to take from this season. A season needs to be looked at as a whole. August - October we were very good, November up until this point, we have been right up there with the worst teams in this division.

We are building from nothing and next season we need a keeper, at least one really good CB, a quality playmaker, another wide midfielder and 2 strikers.

It is all but starting from scratch.

Last edited:

Wheelfass

Murphy - Ultimately proved to be a very poor signing. Very good ability, but I think we all have to accept his positional play, covering and tracking back etc. has proved to be a big Achilles Heel for him. His form is patchy at best and his head drops too easily.

Joe Cole - Poor signing. First we spent weeks trying to integrate him into the team and wait for him to get fit and then we tried to get our play to work around him, rather than him slot into the system we were playing. He slowed things down greatly in his play.

Turner - An accident waiting to happen and he was only here to gain match fitness.

In doing so we have moved from 17th to 9th? - You do know the season isn't over yet don't you? Talk about spin!

We have moved from top to 9th, been on a horrendous run and continue to fall away alarming (from 11 points clear of 7th, to 8 points behind 6th. From being ahead of Burton in the table, to now being an incredible 19 points behind!)

This is the third time this has happened to him. That should set massive alarm bells off for us! I am sure I am not alone in fully expecting this same thing to happen again next season.

Ricketts should have been dropped an age ago, but he has been ever present all season, injury apart.

We started off really well, but then teams put systems in place that nullified us. This started happening way back in October and November. TM never, ever found a counter to this. We never adapted and just kept trying the same thing and it kept not working.

Another really worrying factor now too is that we are looking incredibly likely to be carrying a distinct lack of positivity into the summer. It has been a horrendous fall from grace.

Next season we want to be in a position of starting to build on what we had this! What we have is a dreadful run, our being very low confidence and us left with no strikeforce.

We will be starting from a position of palpable negativity and no positivity whatsoever.

Saying we were top for a bit months earlier in the season is nothing to be positive about, when it was followed by relegation form for the rest of the campaign.

There are going to be very few positives to take from this season. A season needs to be looked at as a whole. August - October we were very good, November up until this point, we have been right up there with the worst teams in this division.

We are building from nothing and next season we need a keeper, at least one really good CB, a quality playmaker, another wide midfielder and 2 strikers.

In a nutshell Otis.

dongonzalos

This took up an entire page on my phone you have page 6 all to yourself, be proud!!!

The OP asked why he should keep his job. All I can find answering the OP within the biggest thread post known to man kind are the words

"Adam Armstrong" and "I Like the bloke"

I am not fully surely you have grasp the gist of the thread

rupert_bear

We don't need a goalkeeper, everyone fit and I include Johnson and Willis in that statement, play Chris Stokes at centre back, left sided, good in the air, good with the ball and make him club captain, was superb the times he played there. Rose will be ok centre right, the Bulgarian we have to wait and see on that one. Mowbray should play him I mo best to get him acclimatised now. So in my opinion we need perhaps a left back, a tough ball winner in midfield, a pacey wide player and two strikers, not loans, we got lucky with Armstrong can't see that happening again, plus our youth players are a year older and should be better to come in to the reckoning. Bit of a tough job but I think we are in a bit better position than last season

Last edited:

Otis

This took up an entire page on my phone you have page 6 all to yourself, be proud!!!

The OP asked why he should keep his job. All I can find answering the OP within the biggest thread post known to man kind are the words

"Adam Armstrong" and "I Like the bloke"

I am not fully surely you have grasp the gist of the thread
I was editing your post, Don.

Otis

We don't need a goalkeeper, everyone fit and I include Johnson and Willis in that statement, play Chris Stokes at centre back, left sided, good in the air, good with the ball and make him club captain, was superb the times he played there. Rose will be ok centre right, the Bulgarian we have to wait and see on that one. Mowbray should play him I mo best to get him acclimatised now. So in my opinion we need perhaps a left back, a tough ball winner in midfield, a pacey wide player and two strikers, not loans, we got lucky with Armstrong can't see that happening again, plus our youth players are a year older and should be better to come in to the reckoning. Bit of a tough job but I think we are in a bit better position than last season
I would keep RCC, but I think we need an older head as back up.

Don't like having two young goalkeepers as our only option.

Otis

I agree on Stokes.

What we need next season is two quick fullbacks with the ability to get up and down the pitch and provide good quality into the box.

I love Stokes, but he is not the quickest and if he has any weakness it is getting forwards and helping the attack.

Play him at CB.

Have we seen Martin and Stokes together at CB? Don't think we have, have we.

CCFC88

Because he is the only Manager in British football to manage every club that he has played for.

Knowledge is the bomb

Users who are viewing this thread