Team selection dilemmas for Preston JPT (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

rest murphy? for a knockout game?

i know you are 17 but....come on!

covcity4life

very simplistic way of looking at it

i agree murphy gives up alot of rebounds but dont think dunn would have made a difference,you saw the goal he conceded vs soton last year? dont know why everyone thinks hes so amazingly better than murphy

stupot07

Murphy did ok but could have done better so i'd rest him. Clarkey, Woody, Edje and Blair were great on saturday so keep them. Bailey, get him out. He was awful. Jennings have an uneventful game so i dont mind if he stays. Sheffers did well and i dunno why Mouss was taken off so keep both of them. Maybe rest Baker cus he didnt have a great game. Clarke needs some help up from so i'd bring in another striker. He just couldnt pull the trigger, so we need someone to help him. So i'd go for:

Dunn
J. Clarke, Wood, Edjenguele, Adams
McSheffery, Fleck, Thomas, Moussa
Elliott, L. Clarke

A midfield of mcsheffery, fleck, Thomas and Moussa would get completely bullied by PNE.

In your assessments of bailey and Jennings you're forgetting we played the 3rd best team in England.

Mucca Mad Boys

A midfield of mcsheffery, fleck, Thomas and Moussa would get completely bullied by PNE.

In your assessments of bailey and Jennings you're forgetting we played the 3rd best team in England.

Jennings and Bailey got bullied by Spurs midfield, more than they did v PNE.

I don't think we should play 4-4-2, but if you stick Bailey in for Jennings, we have a midfield capable of countering their bully boy midfield.

Why we shouldn't play 4-4-2 (I'll try keep it brief):

This season, we have been inconsistent with it, when we've won, it's been 1-0 or we've lost.
We do not have orthodox wingers for a 4-4-2
We try to keep possession, 4-4-2 has a natural, restricting shape, no triangles can be formed.
Specifically for the PNE game, if we got "battered" v PNE, why would we drop a midfielder? Our midfield would get "battered" even more so.

Bailey f**ked up when he was at the bak post and let the goal in. If you're gonna be there you gotta be ready and he wasnt. He wasnt very good outfield either. And Jenno an uneventful game. Not saying he was bad, but he wasnt good either. I wanna see what Fleck and Thomas can do

rupert_bear

Fleck was poor against Shrewsbury.

Great when he had the ball, dreadful when he didn't. Shrewsbury could have scored 2 or 3 due to his poor marking, lack of tracking and ball watching.

On from the bench as an impact player.
Have to agree about Fleck, he is very poor when he doesn't have the ball. Don't think him and Jennings are the right partnership.
I think our midfield will be something like Moussa, Bailey, Jennings or Fleck not both and McSheffrey although Thomas and Barton are knocking the door now. We have the potential of a decent middle of the park in time.
Although i would love to unearth a pacey winger from somewhere.

Mucca Mad Boys

Very harsh, i think consideration should be made regards who we were playing. Not only top players but in a rich vein of form at the moment.

Fleck, CT4 and Barton had to play against the same players, and Dembele, their best CM ATM, when he came on...

Bailey f**ked up when he was at the bak post and let the goal in. If you're gonna be there you gotta be ready and he wasnt. He wasnt very good outfield either. And Jenno an uneventful game. Not saying he was bad, but he wasnt good either. I wanna see what Fleck and Thomas can do

From the side the corner came from it was the near post, and Bailey wasn't even on it to start with. As the header looped over he back-tracked towards the post and looked favourite to clear it, only for Baker to jump backwards - blocking Bailey's view. Who was at fault? Maybe both players for not communicating but certainly not soley Bailey. EDIT: I agree about Fleck and Thomas though, we passed the ball about a lot better when they came on and Thomas won the ball several times where we'd failed previously. Not sure if he's fully fit to start though just yet and it's a big risk making two central Midfield changes for the starting line up.

And he was at fault for 2. He did decent but he could have done better. I'd like to see how Dunn handles it. He's seemed solid int eh games he's played before

Which two were they? First one was a free kick flicked on by Bale (Who was marking him?) tapped in by Dempsey (Who was marking him?). Second one Murphy played the ball to an unmarked Moussa (correct pass) who played it back slightly too short for two of our players (who I forget) who left it for each other allowing it to be intercepted. Clarke not following Bale's run at the back post.

The Murphy haters seem to rate Dunn purely on that one save last season against Derby, which coincidently happened to be on TV...and so starts my cynicism...

Last edited:

ashbyjan

Murphy was not to blame for any of the goals against Spurs - he is a decent keeper at this level and certainly better than Dunn (at least that appears to be the view of three managers who have looked at the two week in week out in training). Why is it that we always have to have some scapegoat? Now Baker seems to have shaken off that label with some good performances Murphy has now got to shoulder it? There were some poor first half performances at WHL but these were the midfield and Jordan Clarke - if it hadn't been for Wood and Edge it could have been a real embarrassing score by half time.

Mucca Mad Boys

Fleck was poor against Shrewsbury.

Great when he had the ball, dreadful when he didn't. Shrewsbury could have scored 2 or 3 due to his poor marking, lack of tracking and ball watching.

On from the bench as an impact player.

2 or 3 goals? You're talking 'Otis' now!

I can't take your analysis seriously if you think Sheff should start! McSheff is our worst player off the ball hands down. If Fleck was in behind the striker, he wouldn't need to be good at tackling etc. he'd just need to be able o press the ball.

He went dreadful, he had a decent game off the ball, you seem to have amnesia when it comes to recalling times he was "dreadful" off the ball, but I can remember him tackling Morgan who, in that phase of play had evaded 2 tackles.

Thir best chance came from the RM when they squared it and Morgan was inches away, nothing to do with Fleck.

All due respect, but you have a serious vendetta v Barton and Fleck.

I'll reiterate my point about McSheff AGAIN, how can you justify starting McSheff over Fleck, when in less games, Fleck has more goals and assists, Fleck is clearly a superior player off he ball and off it, McSheff is, believe it or not, is worse off the ball than Fleck. Yet you'd prefer Sheff to start?

Mucca Mad Boys

Murphy did ok but could have done better so i'd rest him. Clarkey, Woody, Edje and Blair were great on saturday so keep them. Bailey, get him out. He was awful. Jennings have an uneventful game so i dont mind if he stays. Sheffers did well and i dunno why Mouss was taken off so keep both of them. Maybe rest Baker cus he didnt have a great game. Clarke needs some help up from so i'd bring in another striker. He just couldnt pull the trigger, so we need someone to help him. So i'd go for:

Dunn
J. Clarke, Wood, Edjenguele, Adams
McSheffery, Fleck, Thomas, Moussa
Elliott, L. Clarke

Fleck and Thomas as CMs in a 4-4-2 would be a disaster. Like the formation itself. You need a more defensive person (Bailey) in there as well. 5 man midfield got us where we are, and 4-4-2 hasn't, so why change a system when it's not broken!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread