TalkSport (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Wimbledon had less than zero cash and were still basically a non-league setup. Blackpool managed the rare achievement of having worse owners than us, yet despite that got promoted.

Wimbledon was back when football was football though. So you’ve got to account for that. Before the Premier League fucked everything up for lower league clubs.

Both great achievements, don’t get me wrong, but I think if we went up this season (again: we won’t) then just the pace of our rise considering the cash spent and the increase in the gap to the top in the last decade would make it bigger.

David O'Day

They were a non league team less than 10 years before. That was unprecedented post-war, and unlike Wigan when they followed them a couple of decades later, they weren't bankrolled.

We were 1 league above non league

Wimbledon did it at a time when the gulf between the PL and the rest or even the top end of the Championship and the rest wasn't so massive.

D

Deleted member 2477

Anyone remember Fisher publically stating we couldnt afford to be in the championship ?

COV

Doesn't really matter to be honest , we would have gone from league 2 to the Premier league spending probably less than 5 or 6 million in transfer fees .

Sheffield United or Huddersfield never did that

Far greater achievement

Much bigger. But for whatever reason some people will never accept that what Robins has done is exceptional, no matter what he does

COV

Wimbledon was back when football was football though. So you’ve got to account for that. Before the Premier League fucked everything up for lower league clubs.

Both great achievements, don’t get me wrong, but I think if we went up this season (again: we won’t) then just the pace of our rise considering the cash spent and the increase in the gap to the top in the last decade would make it bigger.

Take a look at how many players have to be churned now compared to then for a good comparison- you didn’t really have to rebuild a team then as Robins has had to do on more than one occasion

Grendel

Much bigger. But for whatever reason some people will never accept that what Robins has done is exceptional, no matter what he does

in league two Huddersfield started a season with 4 senior players and a youth team. In a decade they got to the premiership

Grendel

And if Robins did somehow manage to get us up he’d have done it in 5 👍

He also had the luxury of being able to finish in a top 7 to get promoted first time round. Comparisons to Wimbledon are dumb as.

COV

He also had the luxury of being able to finish in a top 7 to get promoted first time round. Comparisons to Wimbledon are dumb as.

You just said Huddersfield? 😆

Anyway no matter, he’s doing an exceptional job, anyone can see that.

Grendel

You just said Huddersfield? 😆

Anyway no matter, he’s doing an exceptional job, anyone can see that.

I said Huddersfield and someone else said Wimbledon

Huddersfield got promoted on a similar budget to us and Blackpool got the top flight in about 9 seasons from being at the foot of league 2 with no pot to piss in

Brighton Sky Blue

I remember me and my mate leaving the ground after we'd beaten Stockport away 3-0, our first game since being relegated from the Prem, and thinking "we'll piss this league and be back up next year."

Twenty years later....

I certainly don't think we'll be going up this year, but we are closer than we have ever been in twenty years.

01/02, 08/09 and even up to December in 10/11 we were very promisingly placed then blew it. Difference is we were not viewed as lower league guff trespassing on the grounds of the elites in Bournemouth

Londonccfcfan

They were a non league team less than 10 years before. That was unprecedented post-war, and unlike Wigan when they followed them a couple of decades later, they weren't bankrolled.
Agree Wimbledon is a great example. They were literally the crazy gang from management to players.

Evo1883

We are comparing an era when teams could go from winning the 2nd division to the European Cup in about 3 years because money was nowhere near as big an object as it is in today's game ..

No team in non league today could get to the top flight in decade ..

Not a single 1 without MILLIONS

It won't happen ever again , too many hurdles and would take decades in reality

CDK

Well certain posters will always have a taxi for robins.
Personally he has achieved more than most managers on a shoe string on less comparable budget of Jimmy hill so he has to be at his level of ability ,if no,when ,cause it will happen the the premiership he will get us there I've no doubt about that.
Till then he's achieved 2promotions,3wembley appierences great football and think he's getting better year on year.

Users who are viewing this thread