Take me home, Highfield Road... (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

I welled up a bit when the crowd sang this today. I love Fratton Park, reminds me of Highfield Road. It was a dreadful decision to leave, it really was. And where is Richardson now, does he even look out for the results each week? I don't know how he sleeps.

Macca

Has it really been 8 years? :(

I often drive along the ring road and glance over on the off chance it all hasn t been a bad dream!

Johnnythespider

I know what you mean, one of these days i'm going to wake up and find Bobby Ewing in the shower
Has it really been 8 years? :(

I often drive along the ring road and glance over on the off chance it all hasn t been a bad dream!

pusbccfc

As much as Highfield Rd had good character, it became a right shi* hole towards the end of it's time.

More of a shit hole than Fratton Park, nope!

When the song first came about it used to continue for around 5 minutes, now it dies out after 30 seconds!

Grendel

I think we will all like to go into a TARDIS and wind back to 1998.

ryb1983ccfc

Boring! Boring! Boring ! We have a chance to have a ground 30 times better than HR if our owners or the owners of the Ricoh can finally sort their lives out ! We are in 2013 ffs ! HR was good at the time but move on people!

mrtrench

Bigger does not equal better. Modern does not equal better. Sterile does not equal better. Highfield Road was a fine stadium - it was classy; it had atmosphere. The goals and drama and personalities from 106 years of football had seeped into the fabric and hugged each game.

The Ricoh is a huge plastic shell. Pompey are very lucky to have resisted the lure of teh 'modern' stadium. One day we will wake up and realise what we have thrown away.

GaryPendrysEyes

The Ricoh wasnt needed, was poorly designed and has flopped. Those fans who took the BR bait to hassle the Council into bankrolling it should be ashamed, they are probably the same ones blaming the Council now....:facepalm:

oakey

Bigger does not equal better. Modern does not equal better. Sterile does not equal better. Highfield Road was a fine stadium - it was classy; it had atmosphere. The goals and drama and personalities from 106 years of football had seeped into the fabric and hugged each game.

The Ricoh is a huge plastic shell. Pompey are very lucky to have resisted the lure of teh 'modern' stadium. One day we will wake up and realise what we have thrown away.
How dare you? Don't you know everything is better now with our wonderful Premier League big 6, our amazing players, our armchair supporters who have never stood at a football ground in their lives? Move with the times mate. The game as you knew it died about 20 years ago and we were told it was all about making the England team better and providing a more exciting league for the fans ... Yawn

100 miles from Cov.

It is not just about the ground itself though is it. Yea granted the Ricoh is nicer as a ground but the whole match day was better at Highfield Road. The pubs, the parking, the banter with away fans was so much better. But it has gone but will never ever be forgotten.

Macca

Boring! Boring! Boring ! We have a chance to have a ground 30 times better than HR if our owners or the owners of the Ricoh can finally sort their lives out ! We are in 2013 ffs ! HR was good at the time but move on people!

Where are we off to then?

Spencer

Couldn't agree more Ryb

Couldn't disagree more!

Although, I accept my love for HR may be influenced of the times I spent there - happy times.

In fact I've just been showing a forest fan the clip of coventry beating forest 5 - 4. One of the best games I've ever seen.

SkyBlueRabb5

It may have been neglected in it's last few years but that's only because there was a new ground on the horizon so there would have been no sense in spending money on "a lick of paint"

rupert_bear

1. It may have been neglected in it's last few years but that's only because there was a new ground on the horizon so there would have been no sense in spending money on "a lick of paint"
    Thats true, i worked at HR in it's latter years and i kid you not that the groundsman had to go to Ryton take some pegs down from there and bring them to HR to replace broken ones in the away dressing room orders from Mike McGinnity. Which demonstrates the long line of cretins involved in the running of our club

coundonskyblue

The Ricoh is a far better ground, and it is now our home, but I still miss highfield rd. However its gone, and we all must accept that.

Skybluefaz

Fratton Park is a complete shit hole, I was sat there thinking about how much more enjoyable the ricoh experience is. Clear views, plenty of food and drink kiosks, bookies etc. The whole take me home Highfield Road song is cringeworthy. It's like singing Clarrie Bourton's name every week. That is the past, the Ricoh only seems bad because of the turmoil that's come with it, on and off the pitch.

wiganer

Fratton Park is a complete shit hole, I was sat there thinking about how much more enjoyable the ricoh experience is. Clear views, plenty of food and drink kiosks, bookies etc. The whole take me home Highfield Road song is cringeworthy. It's like singing Clarrie Bourton's name every week. That is the past, the Ricoh only seems bad because of the turmoil that's come with it, on and off the pitch.

it may well be a shit hole but its a proper football ground with a proper atmosphere, id much rather be going to fratton park than i would the ricoh or indeed my own teams ground the DW, both boring flatpack/bowl stadiums with zero character for me.

i went to highfield road on a couple of occasions back when wigan were in the championship, the 1-1 draw (both scored in the 90th minute) and i think we beat you the second time, 2-0 or 2-1 tuesday night and at both games i felt i was at a proper stadium along with an atmosphere, then i went to your game v crewe in the cup the other week (trying to tick off the 92) and it seemed pretty soulless in the same way the DW is.

suppose its down to personal preference but personally id rather have a shithole with a bit of character and atmosphere about it than the new stadiums.

Users who are viewing this thread