Swansea (H) - Tuesday 2nd - 19:45 (2 Viewers)

Old Warwickshire lad

On Jodi Jones’s contribution:

“I think that he found it difficult. We were trying to get him on the ball and get an extra attacking player on because if he could get on the ball and go past somebody, all of a sudden it opens up and he’s liable to shoot and hit the top corner, because he can finish.

“He didn’t get those opportunities really. He started to get a little bit frenetic where you want to be calm. But we weren’t.
Sorry but Jones did nothing when he came on. He never went past anyone. He played every ball he received backwards ,because that was the way he was facing.
I know we all want the kid to do well after all his injuries, but I can’t see where he can contribute anything to the team.
Really hope he goes on to prove me wrong, but I won’t hold my breath.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Sorry but Jones did nothing when he came on. He never went past anyone. He played every ball he received backwards ,because that was the way he was facing.
I know we all want the kid to do well after all his injuries, but I can’t see where he can contribute anything to the team.
Well not CM would be a start

Nick

Administrator
This is why Hyam needs to be dropped imo, touch touch touch simple ball to Dabo who can only give it back. Look at Jones ready to spring the line but nothing.
ce0c358a146b84508659b04b92ea2926.jpg

I can remember that one, just needed to go through the 2 defenders.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Don't disagree, but I'll bet you most games will last nearer 2 hrs than the 90 mins!!

I based the hour on something I read a while ago about how long the ball is roughly in play for during a game - think it was about 65 minutes.

Plus if the clock is stopped all the time wasting becomes pointless and doesn't happen. Biggest concern is some teams may still try and do it for a breather or to disrupt the flow of the opposition but again that is something that could be rectified if officials were more willing to penalise the timewasting with yellows. Just asking them to hurry up often has the opposite effect as the player acknowledges the ref and then starts again.

A lot of games nowadays are closer to 100 minutes in total and IMO quite a few don't add on sufficient injury time.

Adge

No, just the one that was miles offside.😜

I am probably the biggest defender of officials on here (except @Adge of course), I've done it, it's a thankless task, but just thought he was so naïve & easily conned by a very streetwise side.

Not the reason we lost, we were sloppy early on & I can't think of a worse team to be behind against given their ability to keep the ball & manage the clock.
I can defend an official who makes an honest mistake (offside) but as a collective team last night the officials were as bad as I can remember for a long time. Between the 3 of them they struggled even with throw ins on multiple occasions.
No defending them from me this time. 👎

Terry Gibson's perm

60 minute game. Stopped clock when ball is out of play. Dedicated time keeping official.

I will keep pushing this because it's such an easy and common sense solution to the problem.

I don’t disagree time wasted is our time that we have paid for you wouldn’t pay to go to the cinema and then fast forward through parts and expect to pay the same.

I think though you will find that the ball is in play way less than sixty minutes.

They should tell the player where to throw it from and if he moves it goes the other way and the nearest player should throw it.

This new goal kick business is a license to waste time pass it to the centre half who is in the biz and they just pass it to each other.

My big ones are substitutes have ten seconds to get off the pitch so they don’t cuddle all the players on the way through or the player entering the field gets booked, also the goalkeeper back to holding the ball for six seconds max with a timer on the board so all can see nit sure it’s still a rule but they never enforce it.

fernandopartridge

Absolute rubbish, he went past two players at one point and the third tackled him for a corner. He got into good spaces in the hole a couple of times but players (Maatsen in particular) didn't find him

Terry Gibson's perm

Absolute rubbish, he went past two players at one point and the third tackled him for a corner. He got into good spaces in the hole a couple of times but players (Maatsen in particular) didn't find him

There is a player in there with Jones but I worry we may never see it again fully, he looked a little nervous and timid last night but after three acls I guess we all would be. I think you would struggle to find a fan who doesn’t want to see him succeed at this club.

Mcbean

What annoyed me was when the ball went out for a throw the thrower stood 10 metres up field until someone threw him the ball - the ref didn’t pick it up every time and gave up after a bit

Hobo

Most people over hype Hyam - he’d probably be given man of the match

It is Dabo that gets over hyped for me. Ok he attacks with intent but the end delivery is often poor. Also when defending he is hit and miss. Not saying he isnt ok just don't get how some fans rate him so highly?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This is why Hyam needs to be dropped imo, touch touch touch simple ball to Dabo who can only give it back. Look at Jones ready to spring the line but nothing.
ce0c358a146b84508659b04b92ea2926.jpg

Your screenshot demostrates just how easy it should have been to exploit them defensively last night.

As I said at the time, we lack the passing ability and intelligence to do it. We are so unbelievably wasteful.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It is Dabo that gets over hyped for me. Ok he attacks with intent but the end delivery is often poor. Also when defending he is hit and miss. Not saying he isnt ok just don't get how some fans rate him so highly?

It's frustrating, just like O'Hare's final product. Surely they can both be given training to improve these weaknesses?

SlowerThanPlatt

I think it’s partly down to him being in League 1 with us and wanting him to progress, fans will generally have more affection for him and look past his weaknesses than Kane who’s played a couple of games. Same applies to Kelly and Sheaf

TomRad85

I think most of our players from the league one winning season are overhyped to some degree, look at how Walsh is still spoken about. I get it though, it was a fantastic season, the kind you don't see many of as a City fan.
Dabo is still a good player but Kane really does deserve a chance right now. Its not like having Dacosta as backup so you just keep playing Dabo regardless.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

I don't know if we can play the way Robins wants us to with Kane in the side.
Dabo hugs the touchline and is often our outlet ball, and he does have a great first touch but the end product has definitely been missing.

Think he was a bit of an unknown quantity last season but now teams are closing him down quickly and I can't remember him beating many defendersthis season.

SBAndy

I don't know if we can play the way Robins wants us to with Kane in the side.
Dabo hugs the touchline and is often our outlet ball, and he does have a great first touch but the end product has definitely been missing.

Think he was a bit of an unknown quantity last season but now teams are closing him down quickly and I can't remember him beating many defendersthis season.

I don’t know that we couldn’t. Look at the position Kane got into for the 2nd goal vs Peterborough. Play was switched and he was on the opposite flank making the run up the pitch.

stupot07

I don’t know that we couldn’t. Look at the position Kane got into for the 2nd goal vs Peterborough. Play was switched and he was on the opposite flank making the run up the pitch.
Agreed. I really don't get this 'dabo is attacking and kane is too defensive'. That's not what I've seen in the limited game time. The difference is Dabo is better at ball carrying than Kane, but Kane attacks space for balls to be played into you. Its still attacking but in a different way. You could argue that because dabo carries the ball more he's always 1v1 with a defender and under more pressure so the quality of delivery is poor. You look at kanes 2 assists and he has got the ball in behind with time and space to look up.

I really don't get the reluctance for some to try it for a few games. He's not Decosta, he's a player who has played over 150 times in the championship. Its one of the very few positions we have genuine competition and back up, and people are saying Dabo is undropable

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Don't think he's as comfortable in possession though.
In the example you give we worked the ball to him in a good wide position and he delivered a cross.
That's slightly different to being a constant outlet.
And maybe Robins will change things slightly and go that way.

clint van damme

Agreed. I really don't get this 'dabo is attacking and kane is too defensive'. That's not what I've seen in the limited game time. The difference is Dabo is better at ball carrying than Kane, but Kane attacks space for balls to be played into you. Its still attacking but in a different way. You could argue that because dabo carries the ball more he's always 1v1 with a defender and under more pressure so the quality of delivery is poor. You look at kanes 2 assists and he has got the ball in behind with time and space to look up.

I really don't get the reluctance for some to try it for a few games. He's not Decosta, he's a player who has played over 150 times in the championship. Its one of the very few positions we have genuine competition and back up, and people are saying Dabo is undropable

You've hit the nail on the head with the difference between the two, it's just a case of whether Robins wants to make that tweak in our playing style.

stupot07

You've hit the nail on the head with the difference between the two, it's just a case of whether Robins wants to make that tweak in our playing style.
If Robins didn't think he could play in our style, why did he chase him all summer and sign him?

Not a question to you, just throwing it out there.

TomRad85

I’d certainly try it. I don’t think Dabo’s been particularly impressive recently, and could maybe do with a couple of games rest himself.
That's the thing it's not even a case of dropping Dabo, it's a case of we now have 2 good players in that position so why not rotate a bit. Games coming thick and fast.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

98joscro

Reading that Swansea have been linked with a loan move for Man City's James McAtee, he's exactly the sort of player we should be looking at to bring in and take some of the burden off COH.

SlowerThanPlatt

Reading that Swansea have been linked with a loan move for Man City's James McAtee, he's exactly the sort of player we should be looking at to bring in and take some of the burden off COH.

He’s an outstanding young player, Man City rate him just below Foden, would not be sitting on the bench here.

shmmeee

He’s an outstanding young player, Man City rate him just below Foden, would not be sitting on the bench here.

Plenty of options to fit both in if needed. More attacking midfield or the box for example. No loanee is going to come to sit on the bench anyway.

SlowerThanPlatt

There’s been rumours he’s going to take the Sancho route and leave for a clearer route of team football. Brighton had £8m rejected in the summer

Users who are viewing this thread