Sutton put to bed (1 Viewer)

steveo1987

Thanyou Maidstone, Leeds tried hard a few years ago but Sutton has surely gone into the vault?

rob9872

The differences in divisions are the same , 4 between them

Think Sutton beating coventry is still bigger as coventry were top flight and finished 7th that season
Kind of agree the only different surprise to this v us or Hereford etc is it was not on a dodgy ground but actually at Portman Road.

Hertsccfc

Think Sutton beating coventry is still bigger as coventry were top flight and finished 7th that season
I thought Sutton were the same level as Maidstone now but I might be wrong. Also I think we were third at the time. Sutton's win was a much bigger shock than today.

ovduk78

I thought Sutton were the same level as Maidstone now but I might be wrong. Also I think we were third at the time. Sutton's win was a much bigger shock than today.
Sutton were 1 league below Division 4, so equivalent of national league now so 1 level above where Maidstone are.

slowpoke

Unfortunately Sutton is still the number one giant killer act of modern times, they were non league at the time we were third in the top division and only a couple of years from our cup win, I would of loved to draw them in the cup this year to really put them to bed.

steveo1987

I go to watch Brackley town around Cov games, they are more than decent, not surprised with the result today

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I think we were 3rd at the time
We were 3rd. To put it into perspective I was going to say its was the equivalent of Man City losing to a non league side. However hadn't realised they have moved up to 2nd now, therefore Arsenal losing to non league.

It was a truly awful day , but deserved to win relatively comfortably. However that didn't happen, truly embarrassing.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

We were 3rd. To put it into perspective I wasn't going to say its was the equivalent of Man City losing to a non league side. However hadn't realised they have moved up to 2nd now, therefore Arsenal losing to non league.

It was a truly awful day , but deserved to win relatively comfortably. However that didn't happen, truly embarrassing.
Bizarrely I felt worse after we lost at Northampton, which was the next season no? We were unlucky at Sutton but truly appalling at Northampton.

ovduk78

We were 3rd. To put it into perspective I wasn't going to say its was the equivalent of Man City losing to a non league side. However hadn't realised they have moved up to 2nd now, therefore Arsenal losing to non league.

I remember the quietest car journey back home. On the same day Division 1 Middlesbrough lost at home to Division 4 Grimsby & Bradford beat Spurs but Sutton were the story.

rob9872

Bizarrely I felt worse after we lost at Northampton, which was the next season no? We were unlucky at Sutton but truly appalling at Northampton.
So did I but not only because we lost but because I was absolutely soaked through too. Awful day.

Warwickhunt

We lost to them on their grotty pitch! Maidstone bear them on their turf so much better than the Sutton result

torchomatic

I went to Sutton, it was rubbish and depressing. The only other time I felt that bad was on a mid week trip to Scarborough, where we also lost.

I would still say our defeat was the bigger shock, although this will be played on TV a lot more now than the footage of the Sutton kid wheeling away after scoring.

Calista

And sleep.

Something wrong with a mathematical model that decides 'Woking are the proud owners of the FA Cup’s biggest upset, according to the mathematical model. If this match was played 15,959,312, West Brom would win 15,959,311 of them'.

16 million to one for a non-league side to beat a second division team?! That's nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread