Supporters forum 17th January (3 Viewers)

SBAndy

Which block / turnstile
We walk round but the mess around the east stand does delay things

Depends which bit, I’m in block 14 and usually use one of the Tesco stand turnstiles, but varies by game. Have also used turnstiles in CT stand a couple of games.

skybluericoh

I can't make it to every game & I knew that when I bought my season ticket. Will I buy one next season? I don't know but if it is the only way I can guarantee to see us play 9 or 10 times I might have to. It will be interesting to see what the club do if we make it to the PL and the number of STH rises to whatever the capacity is. My friend who has a ST at MUFC is only allowed to miss 2 games a season otherwise he loses his ST!
One big difference in the prem is that games are moved more often, but they tend to still be Saturday and Sunday. I think the beef currently is they are moved to Friday and Monday’s. Could be wrong as I’m in the ‘I except it as the club get more £££’ camp.
I’ve not been able to use my ST since November and my son has been going. Now I’m getting more mobile others are saying ‘don’t come back, been great since you’ve not been’ least now I know the club think it is reasonable for another adult uses my ticket

skybluericoh

If for the rest of the season we don’t have a lot of fixture changes, season ticket sales are likely to be unaffected. People will forget about how ridiculous the first half of the season has been.

Interestingly with attendances being high across the board a lot of clubs are concerned with their ground being full of just season ticket holders. As it prevents a new generation of fans from attending games
I know Norwich used to if not still do have a waiting list for ST once you get to that position you’re onto a winner. Stops things like bad weather, TV etc impacting your attendances. The fact that the closest ‘big’ teams are Ipswich one way Fester another, maybe Derby/ Forest all, not really on their doorstep probably helps.

Mucca Mad Boys

How many people do you think should be able to get through the turnstiles per minute?
Having been to games at bigger stadiums with bigger crowds, it must be said that our entry in stadiums is pretty poorly done.

The club should move away from print your own tickets and if possible, move to an e-ticket. Apple wallet tickets for Man U and NFL games I’ve been to worked very well!

skybluericoh

Having been to games at bigger stadiums with bigger crowds, it must be said that our entry in stadiums is pretty poorly done.

The club should move away from print your own tickets and if possible, move to an e-ticket. Apple wallet tickets for Man U and NFL games I’ve been to worked very well!
Guy I work with has an ST at the crisp bowl. They went to an app based ST. He hates it says the amount of people fumbling with their phones trying to get in has really slowed it down. I suppose if it only paper tickets done that way might be worth a try, personally I like the plastic.

edgy

- I’m assuming you can enter the ground with a beer you purchased outside? They use the same cups, etc so closing the bars shouldn’t really make a difference. I wonder how many wait til they’ve finished their drink to enter.

I tried to go in with a beer from outside against Leicester and was told I couldn't. Had to slurp up quick and deposit the cup in the collection bins.

As you say, the cups are the same inside and out, so why are they stopping people taking them in? It will inevitably delay people from going in, if they've spent £5+ on a beer from outside.

Sky Blue Pete

I tried to go in with a beer from outside against Leicester and was told I couldn't. Had to slurp up quick and deposit the cup in the collection bins.

As you say, the cups are the same inside and out, so why are they stopping people taking them in? It will inevitably delay people from going in, if they've spent £5+ on a beer from outside.
That’s a daft decision by an individual

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

If everyone gets there earlier, the same issues apply don't they 🤔

Er. It means you don't miss the kick off.

Oh look at long queues, let's not join the queue until 15 before kick off.

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF by Modern Monsters

Bova

Few things to throw into the mix:

- the only two games I’ve had/seen issues getting in for this season are the opening game vs Middlesbrough and the cup game vs Oxford. Whilst others I’ve had to wait for 5-10 mins, it’s not been a problem really. The common denominator between the two: paper tickets. You fold along the lines and they don’t fit in the scanner. Took ages per person both times.

- queueing is a mess but solutions to that been suggested.

- I’m assuming you can enter the ground with a beer you purchased outside? They use the same cups, etc so closing the bars shouldn’t really make a difference. I wonder how many wait til they’ve finished their drink to enter.

- security checks always start slow and then some guy (supervisor, I’m assuming) comes over and tells them to speed up. Do we have different security staff every time?

- Leicester game I got to the ground at 12:27 (junior football in the morning) and was at my seat before kick off. Did they do anything differently for that game?
Calling bullshit on the turning up at 12:27 and not missing kick off, I was at Leicester game by 11:45 and queques at every turnstile all the way from Tesco underpass all the way past the memorial garden……it was carnage so did you sneak in the players entrance🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

NortonSkyBlue

Calling bullshit on the turning up at 12:27 and not missing kick off, I was at Leicester game by 11:45 and queques at every turnstile all the way from Tesco underpass all the way past the memorial garden……it was carnage so did you sneak in the players entrance🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂
We had a drink at one of the bars outside the East Stand, took a few steps to the turnstiles at 18/19. Arrived at 11.30, got in the queue at 12, in by 12.10. That’s not bullshit. That is our routine each home game this season and give or take a few minutes we have been in the ground without too much of a wait. I suppose it depends on your entry point but it didn’t feel too different to other games.

Bova

We had a drink at one of the bars outside the East Stand, took a few steps to the turnstiles at 18/19. Arrived at 11.30, got in the queue at 12, in by 12.10. That’s not bullshit. That is our routine each home game this season and give or take a few minutes we have been in the ground without too much of a wait. I suppose it depends on your entry point but it didn’t feel too different to other games.
Honestly mate it was bad around east stand, arrived via end by dhillans after a cheeky breakfast at the little cafe and all the way back to entrance by Tesco was heaving on our way back, a lot of people stood drinking in almost the same space as the queues didn’t help, nobody knew who was waiting to get in or just stood talking🤦🏻‍♂️

chiefdave

Dave advised as the season has progressed with increased fanswe have been aware of an issue with Judds Lane and getting over the roundabout. Have discussed with police, council. Tried a road closure for the Birmingham City game which was helpful but it is hugely expensive and hugely annoying toother non football traffic.
Ongoing assessment that John will be getting involved in to help the situation. He’s watched from the control room. The major problem is people crossing the road outside of the crossing areas. This is the area we need to try and negate.
John advised Dave has passed him the information. John wants to look at this with the arena over the next few games. We want the stadium sold out 31-32000, this is on his remit to do this as safely as possible.
Thanks as ever Pete for representing the forum. Nice to have an answer on why the road closure hasn't occurred again despite being a success, albeit with some teething issues, and it's purely down to cost.

Think the issue of people crossing outside of the crossing areas is a symptom rather than a cause. The steps are far too narrow for the volume of people leave via that route and then, when the road isn't' closed, it's a complete bottleneck at the bottom of the steps. It's an accident waiting to happen, only a matter of time before the sheer number of people results in someone at the front being pushed into the road.

There's been incidents at the last two games on that crossing. First was a crash where thankfully nobody was seriously injured. Then at the next game it got to a point where it was so crowded the police temporarily stopped the traffic by parking a van across the junction.

Doesn't help that away supporters aren't directed away from the ground properly so you always end up with them going against the flow of the majority to try and get to the car parks.

MalcSB

Thanks as ever Pete for representing the forum. Nice to have an answer on why the road closure hasn't occurred again despite being a success, albeit with some teething issues, and it's purely down to cost.

Think the issue of people crossing outside of the crossing areas is a symptom rather than a cause. The steps are far too narrow for the volume of people leave via that route and then, when the road isn't' closed, it's a complete bottleneck at the bottom of the steps. It's an accident waiting to happen, only a matter of time before the sheer number of people results in someone at the front being pushed into the road.

There's been incidents at the last two games on that crossing. First was a crash where thankfully nobody was seriously injured. Then at the next game it got to a point where it was so crowded the police temporarily stopped the traffic by parking a van across the junction.

Doesn't help that away supporters aren't directed away from the ground properly so you always end up with them going against the flow of the majority to try and get to the car parks.
It's not entirely down to cost, "it's hugely annoying to other non-football traffic".

chiefdave

It's not entirely down to cost, "it's hugely annoying to other non-football traffic".
personally I'm a bit cynical of that claim. lived right next to Fratton Park for several years and it was absolute gridlock before kick off and after games, not to mention zero parking restrictions, but it was never an issue for anyone. You just avoided that area at those times.

its also inconsistent, the road closures are in place as a matter of routine for other events at the stadium, which is it not an annoyance to other non-football traffic then?

Personally I'd rather annoy people for a few minutes than risk killing some of our own supporters.

MalcSB

personally I'm a bit cynical of that claim. lived right next to Fratton Park for several years and it was absolute gridlock before kick off and after games, not to mention zero parking restrictions, but it was never an issue for anyone. You just avoided that area at those times.

its also inconsistent, the road closures are in place as a matter of routine for other events at the stadium, which is it not an annoyance to other non-football traffic then?

Personally I'd rather annoy people for a few minutes than risk killing some of our own supporters.
Other events are far less frequent.
Can you really compare the roads around Fratton Park with the A444?

Sky Blue Pete

Can you draft that into an email to me please? That I can refer to the new coo and sag
My email
[email protected]

Cov_92

It did come up but I can’t recall where
Think it was the arena person on here
All turnstiles have been open and arena / club are loathed to open gates.
Club were suggesting turn up early I pushed back to say mmmmm it isn’t just that. Other supporters groups didn’t believe me or our group but I pressed on to say have a look if you think there’s not a problem
Sheer luck no injuries from the squash or falling down the bank or aggression between fans
The new chief operating person will take a close look at the next few games and will see the absolute mess there is

So signage
New lighting
Moving the fence a bit
Proper queues
People arriving earlier

All of this will be part of the solution

Not that I want anything bad to happen but for safety issues please tell me and I have a direct in to the club to pick up.

The club has been told of accident waiting to happen on the steps, around the turnstiles and the east side before games

If the club ignores the warning they are idiots and the new guy doesn’t feel like an idiot
You can't just open gates. There are no control measures, all the points are being actioned.

Cheylesmore ITK

Not sure that's exactly what happened here, Police don't have involvement with road closure
I don't think he said they did? He said that the police but a temp closure in place to sort an issue which they did.

The whole design of the stadium footprint with the fences is an accident waiting to happen. It may have ok in lower leagues with small attendances but it seems a safety risk now. There's too many people being funnelled into too tight a space and what for? The 2 sets of fans still meet, it just that the meet slightly off the stadium footprint.

Is the stupid and pointless fence being looked at?

Cov_92

That would be better, but would still mean we couldn't open up blocks 12 and 13.

They would have to put barriers in place outside the ground, but if we were able to open up blocks 10 - 12 to home fans and have away fans in 6 - 9, then the only issues I can think of are the same as if we gave home fans 6/7/8, would allow us to open 12 and 13 too, and would negate the concern about the fans in the corner getting to the blocks behind the goal, as they would be Coventry fans too.

Cov_92

I don't think he said they did? He said that the police but a temp closure in place to sort an issue which they did.

The whole design of the stadium footprint with the fences is an accident waiting to happen. It may have ok in lower leagues with small attendances but it seems a safety risk now. There's too many people being funnelled into too tight a space and what for? The 2 sets of fans still meet, it just that the meet slightly off the stadium footprint.

Yes it is

Sky Blue Pete

It’s being moved so there’s a wider gap

Cov_92

Venue have to work to requirements from SAG,Licencing,SGSA, Police etc. Poor fan behaviour from the small minority has a part to play in these restrictions.Sad but true!

Users who are viewing this thread