Supporters forum 17th January (1 Viewer)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Coventry City Supporters Forum
Minutes from the Meeting on the 17thJanuary 2024

1. Apologies for absence
Alan Ludford – Diamond Club
Pat Raybould – Family Zone
Kevin Heffernen – Irish Branch
Steve Harding – Bedworth & Nuneaton
Dave Eyles – SB Trust
Darren Cowley – Southam

2. New Statue of John Sillett and George Curtis at the CBS – Joe Elliot
Joe gave the forum a detailed account of the origins of the idea to build a statue to commemorate John Sillett and George Curtis recognising the idea presented to him by Pete Griffiths. He went to explain the statue would tell a story of a major part of Coventry City’s history.
Joe explained substantial funds (£151,000) had already been raised, but a further £65,000 needed to be raised. (gofundmepage link below). Joe explained all Forum Members could help spread the word about the statue and how supporters can contribute to fill the funding gap. This included getting your name on the plinth of the statue if you donate £500.00. Joe is happy for individuals to contact him directly if they have any questions (details below). There will be various fundraising events during the next 12 months.
Fundraiser by Coventry City Football Club : Fund a Statue for George Curtis and John Sillett (gofundme.com)
Ccfc.co.uk/statue-appeal

3. Equality and Diversity (EFL Mandate) – John Taylor / Dave Boddy
John introduced himself and said what an honour it is to join the great club. He’s been made to feel so welcome over the first week and a half.
He’s passionate and the club are passionate about E & D. There’s an EFL mandate, we want to go further than the mandate. Club will be sending out a questionnaire to all season ticket holders. Within this there will be an incentive to collect this data. John is keen to get Forum members and other supporters involved to get working groups together to progress this area of our club. The Club want this to be a partnership between the club and supporters.
Tynan asked that we encourage all supporters to complete this survey.
Dave mentioned safeguarding – brief update – All home matchdays this season there have been 4 dedicated safeguarding officers within the stadium bowl. There have been no major safeguarding issues. There have been minor issues that have been resolved on the day. We have a full time Head of Safeguarding at the club and a dedicated full time Safeguarding position at the academy.

4. Club up-date by Doug King
We’re moving ahead with the next phases of the structure of the club.
Ryton development – pitches completed, second phase of all things other than the building. Infrastructure over the next 4 months. Beginning a plan to ensure Ryton provides what is required to get to where we intend to be.
Moving the non-football staff to the arena from March. Focus on what is needed in working closely with the Arena. New office being kitted out over the next 6 weeks.
Appointed a performance director from 1 Feb – Dr. Clare-Marie Roberts. Want to look holistically at all aspects of support and care for our playing squad working in tandem with the coaches and the football coaches / managers. To become the elite professional football club we aim to be
Player side – Victor Torp come in in January – rare occurrence as it’s normally loan players in this window. We only have one loan player. Rotation side of players is a challenge to keep everybody involved and motivated to feeling involved and included.
Run has been excellent since the November break. Real strength of character growing throughout the team.

5. Up-date on Safe Standing Area for 2024-25 – Dave Boddy
Dave advised since the last meeting there has been a change of direction on safe standing. Talked about reconfiguring the away end. As the club moves towards bigger home crowds we have a lot of wasted seats due to the current configuration of the concourse in the South Stand. Lots of work has been going on to reduce the lost seats in the away end and reducing the away capacity.
The safe standing provision has been put on hold until this has been decided, not to say this is going away but both are major pieces of work that need to be done correctly.
Doug said lots of work is going on to optimise the number of seats sold in the stadium on match days. The last 3 games have sold out the general admission for the home end.
Any changes to the away configuration will be from next season.
Jim Brown asked whether we will see 31,000 attendances. Dave said yes of course when the reconfiguration has been completed.

6. Responses to submitted questions – Dave Boddy/John Taylor
On separate document

7. Family Zone up-date – Laura Smith
Jodie update –The new marquee is working really well as a home for the Family Zone. They are still providing all the activities they have done. They need more volunteers – Ifsupporters are interested there is a volunteer form on the CCFC website to complete.

8. Dates for future meetings – All
Colin would like some structured dates so that plans can be made to attend by all groups either in person or on teams. Dave B doesn’t disagree and it would be useful to agree dates in advance. Doug is keen to be involved so through his PA would be a way to do this. John agreed.
John to look at dates with at least one as a face to facemeeting. Next meeting likely to be in April as there should now be 4 a year now.
Challenge from Tynan to increase the diversity of the representatives of our group. Suggestion to bring a less experienced colleague along from our supporters clubs to the face to face meetings

9. Any Other Business
Thanks from the forum to Dave Boddy for his work as CEO of the club and best of luck for any new ventures he may go to.

Thanks again Sky Blue Pete. PUSB.

Sky Blue Pete

I’m not sure that a re- sell scheme for STs when matches have been moved to more inconvenient times for many people is really an answer to that part of QW24
Agreed but let’s see what it is
Can see the family zone numbers being limited too

roo

Post very rarely but always read every thread.

I am very encouraged by the positive and engaged dialogue that comes through the notes. It feels such a huge step forwards from the antagonism of the last decade or so.

Makes me proud to be Sky Blue Army.

Well done to all involved both club and supporters.

skyblue1991

Appreciate the update from the forum, need to keep these meetings going a few times a season!

Was anything mentioned about the long toilet queues at HT and how this can be addressed? (e.g. a steward manning the exits to ensure a one way system?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

That's just not going to happen. You buy the ticket knowing games can/will be moved. I know it's frustrating but it's not really the club's fault.
Allowing ST holders to put their seat back up for sale for games they can't make in general would be a good idea I think.

pusbccfc

Thanks Pete as always.

Good stuff = Resale system and maximising capacity.

Disappointing = Once again, no clear plan on improving transport. Clearly no one is interested in it.
Safe standing won't be coming in for a while it seems. I mentioned 6 months back that the club have looked into moving away fans and it seems like this is going to happen.

Cheylesmore ITK

Thanks Pete as always.

Good stuff = Resale system and maximising capacity.

Disappointing = Once again, no clear plan on improving transport. Clearly no one is interested in it.
Safe standing won't be coming in for a while it seems. I mentioned 6 months back that the club have looked into moving away fans and it seems like this is going to happen.
They aren't moving them. They are staying in the South Stand. They say that in the notes. Also they set a date for next season which is too sort for the work needed to move them out of the South Stand.

It'll be a rejig and work over the summer on the concourse to make it fully usable for 2 different sets of fans.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agreed but let’s see what it is
Can see the family zone numbers being limited too

I sit in the family zone and agree it’s too big and there’s lot of empty seats. If the area is sold out, suggests people aren’t turning up to games and we need to be doing whatever we can to fill empty seats.

Once a resale process has been implemented, the club should encourage fans to sell their tickets back to the club to resell. If we become a Prem team again and every game is a sell out, we need to ensure seats are filled whether or not STHs can make a game.

Sky Blue Pete

Appreciate the update from the forum, need to keep these meetings going a few times a season!

Was anything mentioned about the long toilet queues at HT and how this can be addressed? (e.g. a steward manning the exits to ensure a one way system?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
It wasn’t sorry

pusbccfc

They aren't moving them. They are staying in the South Stand. They say that in the notes. Also they set a date for next season which is too sort for the work needed to move them out of the South Stand.

It'll be a rejig and work over the summer on the concourse to make it fully usable for 2 different sets of fans.

They are moving them to block 12/11/10. A move which has already been trialled. Home fans in 8/7/6.

Cheylesmore ITK

They are moving them to block 12/11/10. A move which has already been trialled. Home fans in 8/7/6.
Which is not what you said.

They are already there now and the work now isn't to move them anymore. It is to make it safe to bring City fans back into the stand.
A lot of that work is outside the stand itself.

MalcSB

That's just not going to happen. You buy the ticket knowing games can/will be moved. I know it's frustrating but it's not really the club's fault.
The reasons for the question were:-
a) more record numbers of season tickets have been sold.
b) more and more games are being moved ( I would say way beyond the historic level of “reasonableness”).
c) more ST holders are finding themselves unable to attend games.
d) therefore more ST holders are questioning the value and viability of an ST.
e)so how does the club maintain the value to their customers of the ST offering.
f) or do they just not give a shit.

pusbccfc

Which is not what you said.

They are already there now and the work now isn't to move them anymore. It is to make it safe to bring City fans back into the stand.
A lot of that work is outside the stand itself.

Away fans have never sat in those blocks unless the end had sold out.

In fact, in recent years, even 4500 away fans haven't sat in 12.

It will likely be block 15 round to block 11 which is safe standing, surely?

SBAndy

b) more and more games are being moved ( I would say way beyond the historic level of “reasonableness”).
e)so how does the club maintain the value to their customers of the ST offering.

If you’re disappointed in fixture moves this season, you’re gonna hate next season.

Telfer85

As Mark says it’s not the clubs fault for all the changes and there’s going to be way more next year. We all have that knowledge so if you don’t think a season ticket is for you then don’t buy one just pay as you go.

It’s not the club don’t give a shit I’m sure they would love to sell out the ground to season ticket holders but they can’t give refunds every time a game is moved.

How would they plan for what their budget would be for the season etc on the off chance you won’t come to a game cos it’s moved and they have to pay you money back.

I agree its annoying i get pissed off as much as the next when a games moved and I cant attend but its the risk i took when i bought the season ticket.

I think the good thing about next year is i believe in the new tv deal way more advance notice has to be given of matches selected. Someone may correct me but i think by the start of the season all fixtures up till Jan need to be selected by tv. So it should make it easier to plan.

alexccfc99

Coventry City Supporters Forum
Minutes from the Meeting on the 17thJanuary 2024

1. Apologies for absence
Alan Ludford – Diamond Club
Pat Raybould – Family Zone
Kevin Heffernen – Irish Branch
Steve Harding – Bedworth & Nuneaton
Dave Eyles – SB Trust
Darren Cowley – Southam

2. New Statue of John Sillett and George Curtis at the CBS – Joe Elliot
Joe gave the forum a detailed account of the origins of the idea to build a statue to commemorate John Sillett and George Curtis recognising the idea presented to him by Pete Griffiths. He went to explain the statue would tell a story of a major part of Coventry City’s history.
Joe explained substantial funds (£151,000) had already been raised, but a further £65,000 needed to be raised. (gofundmepage link below). Joe explained all Forum Members could help spread the word about the statue and how supporters can contribute to fill the funding gap. This included getting your name on the plinth of the statue if you donate £500.00. Joe is happy for individuals to contact him directly if they have any questions (details below). There will be various fundraising events during the next 12 months.
Fundraiser by Coventry City Football Club : Fund a Statue for George Curtis and John Sillett (gofundme.com)
Ccfc.co.uk/statue-appeal

3. Equality and Diversity (EFL Mandate) – John Taylor / Dave Boddy
John introduced himself and said what an honour it is to join the great club. He’s been made to feel so welcome over the first week and a half.
He’s passionate and the club are passionate about E & D. There’s an EFL mandate, we want to go further than the mandate. Club will be sending out a questionnaire to all season ticket holders. Within this there will be an incentive to collect this data. John is keen to get Forum members and other supporters involved to get working groups together to progress this area of our club. The Club want this to be a partnership between the club and supporters.
Tynan asked that we encourage all supporters to complete this survey.
Dave mentioned safeguarding – brief update – All home matchdays this season there have been 4 dedicated safeguarding officers within the stadium bowl. There have been no major safeguarding issues. There have been minor issues that have been resolved on the day. We have a full time Head of Safeguarding at the club and a dedicated full time Safeguarding position at the academy.

4. Club up-date by Doug King
We’re moving ahead with the next phases of the structure of the club.
Ryton development – pitches completed, second phase of all things other than the building. Infrastructure over the next 4 months. Beginning a plan to ensure Ryton provides what is required to get to where we intend to be.
Moving the non-football staff to the arena from March. Focus on what is needed in working closely with the Arena. New office being kitted out over the next 6 weeks.
Appointed a performance director from 1 Feb – Dr. Clare-Marie Roberts. Want to look holistically at all aspects of support and care for our playing squad working in tandem with the coaches and the football coaches / managers. To become the elite professional football club we aim to be
Player side – Victor Torp come in in January – rare occurrence as it’s normally loan players in this window. We only have one loan player. Rotation side of players is a challenge to keep everybody involved and motivated to feeling involved and included.
Run has been excellent since the November break. Real strength of character growing throughout the team.

5. Up-date on Safe Standing Area for 2024-25 – Dave Boddy
Dave advised since the last meeting there has been a change of direction on safe standing. Talked about reconfiguring the away end. As the club moves towards bigger home crowds we have a lot of wasted seats due to the current configuration of the concourse in the South Stand. Lots of work has been going on to reduce the lost seats in the away end and reducing the away capacity.
The safe standing provision has been put on hold until this has been decided, not to say this is going away but both are major pieces of work that need to be done correctly.
Doug said lots of work is going on to optimise the number of seats sold in the stadium on match days. The last 3 games have sold out the general admission for the home end.
Any changes to the away configuration will be from next season.
Jim Brown asked whether we will see 31,000 attendances. Dave said yes of course when the reconfiguration has been completed.

6. Responses to submitted questions – Dave Boddy/John Taylor
On separate document

7. Family Zone up-date – Laura Smith
Jodie update –The new marquee is working really well as a home for the Family Zone. They are still providing all the activities they have done. They need more volunteers – Ifsupporters are interested there is a volunteer form on the CCFC website to complete.

8. Dates for future meetings – All
Colin would like some structured dates so that plans can be made to attend by all groups either in person or on teams. Dave B doesn’t disagree and it would be useful to agree dates in advance. Doug is keen to be involved so through his PA would be a way to do this. John agreed.
John to look at dates with at least one as a face to facemeeting. Next meeting likely to be in April as there should now be 4 a year now.
Challenge from Tynan to increase the diversity of the representatives of our group. Suggestion to bring a less experienced colleague along from our supporters clubs to the face to face meetings

9. Any Other Business
Thanks from the forum to Dave Boddy for his work as CEO of the club and best of luck for any new ventures he may go to.
When did club staff leave the Arena the first time? Did the pests not give us any office space during their stint?

Robinshio

a) and there will be more demand as we get better, someone would take up your seat
b) it happens as you get better - see Man city
c) Replaced by other supporters
d) not seen it so much since the performances get better
e) by improving the quality of the offering, rather than giving a discount
f) See e

Really you are suggesting buying a £400 season ticket for £200 because you cant get to all of the games - at that point its not a season ticket

MalcSB

As Mark says it’s not the clubs fault for all the changes and there’s going to be way more next year. We all have that knowledge so if you don’t think a season ticket is for you then don’t buy one just pay as you go.

It’s not the club don’t give a shit I’m sure they would love to sell out the ground to season ticket holders but they can’t give refunds every time a game is moved.

How would they plan for what their budget would be for the season etc on the off chance you won’t come to a game cos it’s moved and they have to pay you money back.

I agree its annoying i get pissed off as much as the next when a games moved and I cant attend but its the risk i took when i bought the season ticket.

I think the good thing about next year is i believe in the new tv deal way more advance notice has to be given of matches selected. Someone may correct me but i think by the start of the season all fixtures up till Jan need to be selected by tv. So it should make it easier to plan.
Fixture moves at the weekend don’t bother me at all, they could be played at 09:30 Saturday or Sunday for allI care. Moves to week evenings do make life more difficult however. Quite a few people on here were questioning the value of a ST given the number of fixture changes, hence the question to the Forum.

The club get additional income for TV games, a number of ST holders get less “product” for their money - which fundamentally doesn‘t feel fair. I don’t think the response given to the forum question really addresses the issue.

Given current sales, people voting with their feet and not renewing may not have much impact on ST revenues in the short term. However, football (as we know) is a funny old game and supporters are fickle.

I suspect that the truth is that the club don’t currently give a shit.

Saddlebrains

Good that they are headed back there anyway - I must admit I am pleasantly surprised with how cordial the relationship with Frasers has been so far

I think its just that Frasers arent stupid. They would have seen the negativity surrounding Wasps here, the ground shares, the inevitable demise of the pests

They wont want any negative press, they wont want to piss off the people of the city it owns a stadium in, and they also know that any rental agreement with us brings them money via rental, people spending there, less negative press around the place leading to more lucrative exhibitions, concerts etc

I know we still dont own it, and I know we're only on a 5 year deal, but i dint ever foresee us leaving the CBS again tbh

MalcSB

a) and there will be more demand as we get better, someone would take up your seat
b) it happens as you get better - see Man city
c) Replaced by other supporters
d) not seen it so much since the performances get better
e) by improving the quality of the offering, rather than giving a discount
f) See e

Really you are suggesting buying a £400 season ticket for £200 because you cant get to all of the games - at that point its not a season ticket
Just to repeat, I’m not all that bothered but there were a reasonable number of others who sound like long term supporters who were.

alexccfc99

I think its just that Frasers arent stupid. They would have seen the negativity surrounding Wasps here, the ground shares, the inevitable demise of the pests

They wont want any negative press, they wont want to piss off the people of the city it owns a stadium in, and they also know that any rental agreement with us brings them money via rental, people spending there, less negative press around the place leading to more lucrative exhibitions, concerts etc

I know we still dont own it, and I know we're only on a 5 year deal, but i dint ever foresee us leaving the CBS again tbh
No I get that and I think there is an argument to suggest that he needs us more than we need him possibly

But it has surprised me that he has seemingly gave us the run of the football side of the complex, other than sticking frasers hoardings up (which isn't ideal but looks a damn sight less tacky that Sports Direct would) it finally looks like Coventry City's home

alexccfc99

Moving the away fans to a corner and having home fans behind both goals is the missing piece for me.
I presume they will try and go to a similar lay out to Southampton if possible

I'd like us to try and copy Leicester/Derby's away lay out - But with the structure of the ground being the way it us you would either have to take some of the corporate out of play or you uproot everyone from singers corner which isn't going to happen

Sky Blue Pete

Fixture moves at the weekend don’t bother me at all, they could be played at 09:30 Saturday or Sunday for allI care. Moves to week evenings do make life more difficult however. Quite a few people on here were questioning the value of a ST given the number of fixture changes, hence the question to the Forum.

The club get additional income for TV games, a number of ST holders get less “product” for their money - which fundamentally doesn‘t feel fair. I don’t think the response given to the forum question really addresses the issue.

Given current sales, people voting with their feet and not renewing may not have much impact on ST revenues in the short term. However, football (as we know) is a funny old game and supporters are fickle.

I suspect that the truth is that the club don’t currently give a shit.
Course they give a shit and the answer doesn’t really give the detail I need to consider whether more could be done

ovduk78

I can't make it to every game & I knew that when I bought my season ticket. Will I buy one next season? I don't know but if it is the only way I can guarantee to see us play 9 or 10 times I might have to. It will be interesting to see what the club do if we make it to the PL and the number of STH rises to whatever the capacity is. My friend who has a ST at MUFC is only allowed to miss 2 games a season otherwise he loses his ST!

Users who are viewing this thread