Sunderland Fan In Peace (2 Viewers)

Flying Fokker

I cannot remember the details as well as some but do know that some people had Transistor Radios, no Bluetooth back then.

I do not remember it being such a big issue back in the day. Certainly was immediately. I am not sure when was the last time they beat us, 15 years?, anyway that added is no doubt important.

Sunderland would have done the same thing.
There was no doubt that there Were thousands of Bristol fans outside the ground with 15 minutes to go. I was 14 at the time. BCFC fans were equally invested in staying up. But here’s the thing Sunderland should never have put themselves in this position over a 42 game season. City were adrift with 4 games to go. It was in each teams hands to stay up. But city were odds on to go down.

bawtryneal

For the majority of the last 20 minutes the ball was passed back and forward to each goalkeeper

Hill then went into the Bristol dressing room and drank champagne with their manager

Let’s not pretend it was a good look - it wasn’t
Do you think Sunderland ( or any other team for that matter) would have adopted the same tactics had the situation been reversed ?

Gleneagles65

I think your memories playing tricks on you. The keep ball phase of that game was only the last 5 minutes at most. According to Tommy Hutchison, both sets of players had received messages from the sidelines and knew the Sunderland result before it was flashed on the score board.
Gordon Milne was on CWR last week and confirmed the decision to delay the game was totally down to the police and their concerns that so many fans were still outside the ground. Jimmy Hill’s influence on that game really has been over exaggerated.
With regard to Hill swigging Champagne with Alan Dicks (who was his former assistant as mentioned above) after the game, this may well have happened but again perhaps memories playing tricks as there is a famous picture of Gordon Milne filling Alan Dicks Champagne glass in celebration after the game.
The fact the teams stopped playing, albeit for only a few minutes at the end, wasn’t great and shouldn’t have happened, but the fact Hill still gets the blame even though he was exonerated by an FA enquiry seems unfair as does the fact that Bristol seem to have got off Scot free.
1703409996857.png

Ashdown

My mate who’s actually a Rovers fan travelled up with some of his ‘ shithead ‘ friends for the game that day and he confirmed that many of them got stuck in awful jams and were late getting in and had pleaded with authorities to delay the game, which happened.

Gint11

SAFC will just ignore the fact they were shit for the other 41 games…

This is what annoyed me about it. Even if we did fudge the last game, they didn’t accumulate enough points over the season, the real quiz

slowpoke

Another thing never mentioned is about 7 O’Clock the queue of Bristol fans stretched from halfway up Heath Road to the ground absolutely solid thousands of them, had the doors not been opened there would have a riot.

Covcraig@bury

What pisses me off is the thick Geordie wannabes never ever given any shit to Bristol City or taken into consideration that the POLICE delayed the game for crowd safety. I will leave it there 🤦‍♂️

blunted

I think your memories playing tricks on you. The keep ball phase of that game was only the last 5 minutes at most. According to Tommy Hutchison, both sets of players had received messages from the sidelines and knew the Sunderland result before it was flashed on the score board.
Gordon Milne was on CWR last week and confirmed the decision to delay the game was totally down to the police and their concerns that so many fans were still outside the ground. Jimmy Hill’s influence on that game really has been over exaggerated.
With regard to Hill swigging Champagne with Alan Dicks (who was his former assistant as mentioned above) after the game, this may well have happened but again perhaps memories playing tricks as there is a famous picture of Gordon Milne filling Alan Dicks Champagne glass in celebration after the game.
The fact the teams stopped playing, albeit for only a few minutes at the end, wasn’t great and shouldn’t have happened, but the fact Hill still gets the blame even though he was exonerated by an FA enquiry seems unfair as does the fact that Bristol seem to have got off Scot free.
But it has kept Sociologists and Biologists in work with competition vs cooperation

Users who are viewing this thread