Sunderland Fan In Peace (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Haven’t you flounced off yet.
Some hard man.
Jane Krakowski Fly GIF by Apple TV+

pusbccfc

I'd rather keep my opinion of sunderland to myself , your fans spoke about us like we were pieces of shit on their shoe and lauded the nazi bombing of the city .. whatever coventry fans have done to yours in recent years in thoroughly deserved .. cheers

It was mostly stirred up with the post on Facebook days before our match years back where people were genuinely organising a way of smashing up a memorial garden.

Evo1883

It was mostly stirred up with the post on Facebook days before our match years back where people were genuinely organising a way of smashing up a memorial garden.

I remember it well .. the whole thing was instigated by their supporters

Happy_Martian

I remember it well .. the whole thing was instigated by their supporters

Does it matter ? That was over 5 years ago. Instead of unearthing the past, how about thinking about how to fix the present and the future ?

Evo1883

Does it matter ? That was over 5 years ago. Instead of unearthing the past, how about thinking about how to fix the present and the future ?

I don't go to games to cause trouble mate, I attend games with the old man and take my 2 daughters . But I still think sunderland fans are massive bellends , I never used to but I do now.. be hard to change that mindset now

I don't need to fix my issue with sunderland fans as its merely a thought

mmttww

Well this started nicely.
Then the children turned up.

You're dishing out an impressive volume of irony right here. Keep it going. Would read again. Nice reminder things could always be worse.

Grendel

Kick off was 7.30 at 7 there were hardly any Bristol fans in the ground can’t remember if it was all ticket but the police delayed the kick off 15 minutes and opened up the gates and Bristol fans poured in, thousands of them. Never mentioned but when we kicked off at 7.45 Sunderland were already 1-0 down.Everton got a second in the last minute sealing their fate.
We played Sunderland many times since never any issue re. the Bristol game ironically including a similar thing when we won at Spurs and they lost at Wimbledon on the last day which meant we stayed up and they were relegated.
That Spurs match also kicked off late due to crowd congestion think there were train issues and over 10000 Cov trying to get in.
All this crap started about 10/15 years ago when a Sunderland key board warrior took it on himself to blame our chairman Jimmy Hill for the Bristol issue.
Also one thing that’s never mentioned is at 2-2 Bristol brought on a youngster in the final minutes and he hit a 30 yard thunder bolt which crashed against the underside of the bar bounced on the line and somehow didn’t go in, thankfully no line technology in those days I was behind that goal and it looked more in than not.

For the majority of the last 20 minutes the ball was passed back and forward to each goalkeeper

Hill then went into the Bristol dressing room and drank champagne with their manager

Let’s not pretend it was a good look - it wasn’t

Irish Sky Blue

For the majority of the last 20 minutes the ball was passed back and forward to each goalkeeper

Hill then went into the Bristol dressing room and drank champagne with their manager

I think your memories playing tricks on you. The keep ball phase of that game was only the last 5 minutes at most. According to Tommy Hutchison, both sets of players had received messages from the sidelines and knew the Sunderland result before it was flashed on the score board.
Gordon Milne was on CWR last week and confirmed the decision to delay the game was totally down to the police and their concerns that so many fans were still outside the ground. Jimmy Hill’s influence on that game really has been over exaggerated.
With regard to Hill swigging Champagne with Alan Dicks (who was his former assistant as mentioned above) after the game, this may well have happened but again perhaps memories playing tricks as there is a famous picture of Gordon Milne filling Alan Dicks Champagne glass in celebration after the game.
The fact the teams stopped playing, albeit for only a few minutes at the end, wasn’t great and shouldn’t have happened, but the fact Hill still gets the blame even though he was exonerated by an FA enquiry seems unfair as does the fact that Bristol seem to have got off Scot free.

Frostie

I think your memories playing tricks on you. The keep ball phase of that game was only the last 5 minutes at most. According to Tommy Hutchison, both sets of players had received messages from the sidelines and knew the Sunderland result before it was flashed on the score board.
Gordon Milne was on CWR last week and confirmed the decision to delay the game was totally down to the police and their concerns that so many fans were still outside the ground. Jimmy Hill’s influence on that game really has been over exaggerated.
With regard to Hill swigging Champagne with Alan Dicks (who was his former assistant as mentioned above) after the game, this may well have happened but again perhaps memories playing tricks as there is a famous picture of Gordon Milne filling Alan Dicks Champagne glass in celebration after the game.
The fact the teams stopped playing, albeit for only a few minutes at the end, wasn’t great and shouldn’t have happened, but the fact Hill still gets the blame even though he was exonerated by an FA enquiry seems unfair as does the fact that Bristol seem to have got off Scot free.
One other point that's always overlooked is that in those days the games didn't all kickoff at the same time (or often even the same date) anyway.
Tottenham, West Ham & Stoke were all involved in the relegation fight that season but had completed all their games the week before.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I was at the game. It was chaotic before game and rightfully delayed by police. Also totally packed in West end. I still remember a guy asking for a clearing whilst he relieved himself on terracing, no chance of getting to toilets.
Passing the ball around by Bristol City without us challenging was a bit dodgy. I can't be certain but it was for about 8 to 10 minutes.

Worse thing was at end of game. The assumption being Everton had won 1 nil again Sunderland.

However scored flashed up with the words "Score correction"
Then board went totally blank for seemed an eternity and as a 14 year old was my heart was racing then.....
Everton 2 Sunderland 0 , a massive massive, massive relief.

That was some Thursday night.

clint van damme

They carried on playing Michael Johnson after he'd admitted he was guilty of the charges against him so he could help their relegation battle. That was in 2015.
If we'd done that I'd probably stay schtum about a late kick off and tepid, played out draw in 1977.

TomRad85

They carried on playing Michael Johnson after he'd admitted he was guilty of the charges against him so he could help their relegation battle. That was in 2015.
If we'd done that I'd probably stay schtum about a late kick off and tepid, played out draw in 1977.
Adam, but yes very good point.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

rob9872

🤣🤣🤣👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231223_131422_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231223_131422_Google.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 19

rob9872

Ah bollocks I was too busy getting an image to upload :(

clint van damme

A Coventry fan passed away in the Sky Blue stand just before kick off. Very much put the result of a football game in to perspective.

Not doubting you but has this been confirmed or is it just rumour?
Awful news if true, always seems worse at this time of year when you hear of these tragic events.

oscillatewildly

Drank champagne during the match or post match?

slowpoke

Was you there ?

stevefloyd

Lol I live in Bangkok and on Xmas day Port FC of Bangkok play Ratchaburi 7 pm ko , beer £ 1.70 a pint.
I am in Udon atm so I quite expect a utterly boring day but at least the beers cheap I guess and Christmas in England is shite anyway, sticky rice and some pork thing on a stick for Crimbo dinner jobs a gud un

Flying Fokker

Hmm. I guess it would have been rude not to
?

Como

I cannot remember the details as well as some but do know that some people had Transistor Radios, no Bluetooth back then.

I do not remember it being such a big issue back in the day. Certainly was immediately. I am not sure when was the last time they beat us, 15 years?, anyway that added is no doubt important.

Sunderland would have done the same thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread