Sunderland Fan In Peace (1 Viewer)

FriendlyMackem

First off, I'll accept and expect the usual abuse, being a Sunderland fan.

Secondly, can we put the pathetic "rivalry' created by fans who don't even attend games to bed. Fact of the matter is, genuine Sunderland fans don't really care about a questionable action that may or may not have happened centuries ago.

FWIW, I actually don't mind Coventry as a club. I find similarities with ourselves. Both somewhat unfashionable clubs, in working class (some would say shithole) areas, but pretty genuine people who just like their footy.

You lot have had the better of us over recent years, and in general, I've not looked forward to playing you. Gyokeres was a tremendous player and Robins is up there with the best in the division.

Anyway, onto Saturday. I feel it will be a close match between two teams who try to play football in the right way. Haven't seen much of you this year, but can't help but feel you should be higher up in the table.

Are you lot feeling confident?

CBS16

They'll be no peace!
Not sure how confident we are of a result in this singular game, but we're a lot more confident lately in the direction the squad and club are going. The signings took a while to bed in but we're now seeing signs of quality and a togetherness. We are definitely capable of winning on Saturday, feel as ever in the championship the fine margins will decide it either way. 2 decent developing sides should be a good ding dong.

What's the feeling up there?

Harry Krishner

A load of utter bollocks that's all getting a bit silly isn't it?

Absolutely no idea how the game will go. Would normally go but can't face Christmas weekend on trains etc.

FriendlyMackem

They'll be no peace!
Not sure how confident we are of a result in this singular game, but we're a lot more confident lately in the direction the squad and club are going. The signings took a while to bed in but we're now seeing signs of quality and a togetherness, we are definitely capable of winning on Saturday, feel as ever in the championship the fine margins will decide it either way. 2 decent developing sides should be a good ding dong
I suspect you are probably right mate, but can't help but find it all a tad pathetic.

Beneath all that crap we are probably a lot similar to each other than most would care to admit, but the idiots amongst us ruin it and turn toxic.

I think Saturday will be a good, tight game and wouldn't be surprised if you won. We epitomize our young squad, great one week and frustrating as hell the next.

All the best for the season anyway, apart from when you play us. I'll get pelters, but would prefer to see (if not us) you or Ipswich in the Prem over Luton or Burnley any day of the week.

FriendlyMackem

A load of utter bollocks that's all getting a bit silly isn't it?

Absolutely no idea how the game will go. Would normally go but can't face Christmas weekend on trains etc.
Beyond silly really. I love away days and banter with opposing fans is part of that. All this crap between us kind of spoils that in a way, and creates an atmosphere that really shouldn't exist.

Happy_Martian

Welcome. And yes, expect the regular keyboard warrior insults. Sadly, the petty hatred that exists will follow both of our clubs for a long time to come and this place is no different. How the rivalry is lessened needs a intervention that fan forums just won't reach to as there are too many keyboard warriors drowning out the genuine fans.

I joined your forum at the beginning of the season with the intention of lowering the rhetoric and have had a number of constructive conversations with RTG members. But I was also witness to some who won't let 1977 go, no matter how the topic is discussed. Being insulted by people who don't know me and have only seen me declare my support of Coventry is surreal. And any attempt to discuss the incidents over the last 5 years was seen as me being blinkered. But I can say the same happens here too. Any discussions about Sunderland tend to attract negativity from a select few. It's all beyond a joke, frankly.

As for the game, we're starting to get it together on the pitch. Robins continues to confound and prove the fans wrong with his team picks and tactics but we are slowly turning the corner. Saturday will be a stretch as your lot will be wanting to show themselves for Beale for the first time but there do seem to still be some gaps in the central midfield and defence. So it should be open and entertaining. Won't predict a score as I tend to get them wrong but hope everyone who goes enjoys it and can come away in peace.

Merry Christmas.

FriendlyMackem

Welcome. And yes, expect the regular keyboard warrior insults. Sadly, the petty hatred that exists will follow both of our clubs for a long time to come and this place is no different. How the rivalry is lessened needs a intervention that fan forums just won't reach to as there are too many keyboard warriors drowning out the genuine fans.

I joined your forum at the beginning of the season with the intention of lowering the rhetoric and have had a number of constructive conversations with RTG members. But I was also witness to some who won't let 1977 go, no matter how the topic is discussed. Being insulted by people who don't know me and have only seen me declare my support of Coventry is surreal. And any attempt to discuss the incidents over the last 5 years was seen as me being blinkered. But I can say the same happens here too. Any discussions about Sunderland tend to attract negativity from a select few. It's all beyond a joke, frankly.

As for the game, we're starting to get it together on the pitch. Robins continues to confound and prove the fans wrong with his team picks and tactics but we are slowly turning the corner. Saturday will be a stretch as your lot will be wanting to show themselves for Beale for the first time but there do seem to still be some gaps in the central midfield and defence. So it should be open and entertaining. Won't predict a score as I tend to get them wrong but hope everyone who goes enjoys it and can come away in peace.

Merry Christmas.
Its a real shame on both sides. I just can't comprehend how some people can have such contempt for someone and the associated club that happened so many years ago. Even the fact he's sadly passed hasn't dampened the ridiculous behavior. Its actually made it worse.

I guess we can't control the behavior of internet tools and can only hope the fans that attend and interact with our real fans, actually see us for what we are and not this pathetic internet rivalry.

Hope whoever attends has a safe and enjoyable journey (result aside), and try to hate us a a little less, please 🤣

Merry Christmas to you too pal.

Skyblue Bangkok

Secondly, can we put the pathetic "rivalry' created by fans who don't even attend games to bed. Fact of the matter is, genuine Sunderland fans don't really care about a questionable action that may or may not have happened centuries ago.

FWIW, I actually don't mind Coventry as a club. I find similarities with ourselves. Both somewhat unfashionable clubs, in working class (some would say shithole) areas, but pretty genuine people who just like their footy.

You lot have had the better of us over recent years, and in general, I've not looked forward to playing you. Gyokeres was a tremendous player and Robins is up there with the best in the division.

Anyway, onto Saturday. I feel it will be a close match between two teams who try to play football in the right way. Haven't seen much of you this year, but can't help but feel you should be higher up in the table.

What do you think about the appointment of your new Manager?. As an outsider I found the sacking of Mowbray strange , maybe things going in in the background.

How do you feel about the appointment of your new Manager? Found Mowbrays sacking harsh , so maybe stuff going on off the field. I was a the that game in the 70s lol.

FriendlyMackem

What do you think about the appointment of your new Manager?. As an outsider I found the sacking of Mowbray strange , maybe things going in in the background.

How do you feel about the appointment of your new Manager? Found Mowbrays sacking harsh , so maybe stuff going on off the field. I was a the that game in the 70s lol.
Honestly, pissed off at the Mowbray sacking, and even more underwhelmed about the appointment of Beale. Mowbray is a fantastic manager and even better human being, than he gets credit for.

Struggle to see how Ian is an upgrade, but desperately trying to find, and cling to, any positives.

He seems very hands on and involved training, much more so than most managers these days. Maybe the head coach role will suit him and leave him to do what he does best, but a only time will tell.

shmmeee

Not at all confident, but had this as the most winnable of the three with Leeds and Southampton, but not sure that means much. But I expected us to get tonked at both and we didn’t (though Leeds gave it a good go).

New manager at home always a banana skin regardless of the team. Will be happy with a draw and to be out of this run of games and playing Sheff Wed at home to a full crowd. A game I’ll be confident of winning so I’m sure we’ll lose.

shmmeee

Harsh he can’t just be called Bellingham cos everyone will think it’s his brother. Bet that’s how Mbappes little brother who came on for PSG feels.

False9

Nice post but having visited Sunderland I am somewhat offended that Coventry is even considered comparable to Sunderland in the shit hole stakes.

FriendlyMackem

Nice post but having visited Sunderland I am somewhat offended that Coventry is even considered comparable to Sunderland in the shit hole stakes.
Not getting dragged into the usual gutted banter, but your reply only emphasizes my point about idiots online. Having visited Coventry its not exactly gods playground is all I'll say. I'm not one for disrespecting a a place where others call home, but what I will say is that Sunderland is home to one of the finest coastlines and beaches in the UK. Granted the weather is usually crap, but if you venture outside of the city center, the North East is a beatiful place with nice people.

Skyblue Bangkok

Honestly, pissed off at the Mowbray sacking, and even more underwhelmed about the appointment of Beale. Mowbray is a fantastic manager and even better human being, than he gets credit for.

Struggle to see how Ian is an upgrade, but desperately trying to find, and cling to, any positives.

He seems very hands on and involved training, much more so than most managers these days. Maybe the head coach role will suit him and leave him to do what he does best, but a only time will tell.
I thought Mowbray did an excellent job, he did a good job for us as well at our club. That with wth one hand tied behind his back . His teams tend to play good football, he develops young players. It's not as though he lost 7/8 games consecutively at Sunderland , so I think of the field politics might have been involved. I don't really rate Beale, speaks the modern management jargon and more talk than actual substance . However as you say only time will tell.

Sick Boy

I thought Mowbray did an excellent job, he did a good job for us as well at our club. That with wth one hand tied behind his back . His teams tend to play good football, he develops young players. It's not as though he lost 7/8 games consecutively at Sunderland , so I think of the field politics might have been involved. I don't really rate Beale, speaks the modern management jargon and more talk than actual substance . However as you say only time will tell.
Mowbray was one of main reasons we ended up in League Two.

Flying Fokker

I suspect you are probably right mate, but can't help but find it all a tad pathetic.

Beneath all that crap we are probably a lot similar to each other than most would care to admit, but the idiots amongst us ruin it and turn toxic.

I think Saturday will be a good, tight game and wouldn't be surprised if you won. We epitomize our young squad, great one week and frustrating as hell the next.

All the best for the season anyway, apart from when you play us. I'll get pelters, but would prefer to see (if not us) you or Ipswich in the Prem over Luton or Burnley any day of the week.
I was at the infamous match. Not sure what went on but there were coach loads of BCFC fans stuck in traffic…Apparently. What is more surprising for me is that City played 4 games in 8 days and somehow escaped certain relegation on a tension filled match on a Thursday many years ago. Sunderland had it in the bag…All they had to do was play well against Everton. I’m sure they did. At the time Sunderland fans needed to grasp a reason for their hurt. Jimmy Hill was the man, a slick business mind who knew how to influence his own destiny, a go getter, at all costs. Did he fix it? The hearing must have been interesting.

We have the same happening nowadays with the likes of Everton and other teams stretching the rules.

I like Sunderland fans.

Otis

I was at the infamous match. Not sure what went on but there were coach loads of BCFC fans stuck in traffic…Apparently. What is more surprising for me is that City played 4 games in 8 days and somehow escaped certain relegation on a tension filled match on a Thursday many years ago. Sunderland had it in the bag…All they had to do was play well against Everton. I’m sure they did. At the time Sunderland fans needed to grasp a reason for their hurt. Jimmy Hill was the man, a slick business mind who knew how to influence his own destiny, a go getter, at all costs. Did he fix it? The hearing must have been interesting.

We have the same happening nowadays with the likes of Everton and other teams stretching the rules.

I like Sunderland fans.
Bit early in the morning to be drunk isn't it, FF?

I have said a number of times, I worked with quite a number of Sunderland fans back then, at the time of that infamous match and for some years later, and none of them ever mentioned it.

They were all a decent bunch.

Hutch11

I have said a number of times, I worked with quite a number of Sunderland fans back then, at the time of that infamous match and for some years later, and none of them ever mentioned it.

The vast majority of them are decent but like us have a certain number of bellends

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It seemed to just intensify around the time they were relegated to league one. Don’t recall them being as rabid about it in the early 2000s

I actually prefer Sunderland to Newcastle. The Geordie sense of entitlement is as bad as Liverpool but without the history of winning.

I reckon we’ll get something for what it’s worth on Saturday. We have a good recent record against Sunderland

Covcraig@bury

Its a real shame on both sides. I just can't comprehend how some people can have such contempt for someone and the associated club that happened so many years ago. Even the fact he's sadly passed hasn't dampened the ridiculous behavior. Its actually made it worse.

I guess we can't control the behavior of internet tools and can only hope the fans that attend and interact with our real fans, actually see us for what we are and not this pathetic internet rivalry.

Hope whoever attends has a safe and enjoyable journey (result aside), and try to hate us a a little less, please 🤣

Merry Christmas to you too pal.
I’ve just spent most of this week working in Sunderland and drinking around Keel Square . And every night I’ve heard your fans banging on about Coventry being a shit hole , worst fan base and Jimmy Hill . And these people are of all ages including woman . So it continues until end of time as I can not see this so called rivalry ending .
I never minded Sunderland as a team until probably the last 10 or so years as my Mum and sister was born there . My Gran had the corner shop outside Roker Park . All my cousins are in or around Springwell . We holidayed every summer as kids it’s a great place to visit , and the redeveloped riverside is fabulous , but your fans need to give their heads a jolly good wobble . This rivalry will continue ( I hope ) that’s what football is all about as long as no one gets hurt . Anyway , Simms will score a brace tomorrow, Cov win 3-1 and you crawl back in to the Wear for a wash 🤭. I hope you have a shit game/day tomorrow.

to you and your family have a fabulous Xmas and New Year xx

Boicey

We need to improve our away record this season. This will be a tough game to do that.
I hope we play a more attacking lineup than at Leeds but I think robins will be pretty conservative and play on the break with a lone striker.
Given we are quite tight at the back now I’d go for a 1:1 prediction.

rob9872

Football has gone a bit soft. As long as it doesn't overspill like some of the idiot coked up kids on both sides, who weren't even born in 77 (or that nutter shouting at the JH statue), then rivalry and banter is what makes the game.

Tragedy chanting about Munich or Hillsborough or those SW dickheads about Bradley has rightly never been acceptable to the majority, however 'feed the scousers' that they're currently moaning about is (imo) different and quite funny. There is a line, let's not remove it completely.

I heard a guy on the radio the other day saying how it's a family occasion to watch top quality football now and that the swearing and rivalry encroaches on that, if anything it's the reverse. We have a family section like most clubs and being a bellend in there is inexcusable, outside of their fekkin man up. I take my daughter and have always said what goes on at football, don't repeat at home.

Football should remain tribal, any small excuse to rile the opposition within the boundaries should be taken.

And finally ... fwiw 100% despite the crap on the Sunderland message boards, nobody was 'hoying down' shite or bricks which we were tarred with, I was there. I did see a plastic bottle go down and can't be certain nothing else was, but some of the made up rubbish after fuelled a lot of the unnecessary hatred. It seems that 40000 were on that family section and all got pelted with shite if you read the responses.

*small edit... a lot could also be avoided regardless by simple ground changes to concourse and access. We're somewhat suffering in a different way down to segregation, but whoever at Sunderland thought it was a great idea to put the away fans above a family section, really needs to give their head a wobble!

Last edited:

Skyblue Bangkok

Football has gone a bit soft. As long as it doesn't overspill like some of the idiot coked up kids on both sides, who weren't even born in 77 (or that nutter shouting at the JH statue), then rivalry and banter is what makes the game.

Tragedy chanting about Munich or Hillsborough or those SW dickheads about Bradley has rightly never been acceptable to the majority, however 'feed the scousers' that they're currently moaning about is (imo) different and quite funny. There is a line, let's not remove it completely.

I heard a guy on the radio the other day saying how it's a family occasion to watch top quality football now and that the swearing and rivalry encroaches on that, if anything it's the reverse. We have a family section like most clubs and being a bellend in there is inexcusable, outside of their fekkin man up. I take my daughter and have always said what goes on at football, don't repeat at home.

Football should remain tribal, any small excuse to rile the opposition within the boundaries should be taken.

And finally ... fwiw 100% despite the crap on the Sunderland message boards, nobody was 'hoying down' shite or bricks which we were tarred with, I was there. I did see a plastic bottle go down and can't be certain nothing else was, but some of the made up rubbish after fuelled a lot of the unnecessary hatred. It seems that 40000 were on that family section and all got pelted with shite if you read the responses.
I agree with your comments .

joemercersaces

I was also at the infamous match, at the tender age of 15. Kick off was delayed as 38,000 tried to pay at the turnstiles, including 15,000 from Bristol. We were 2-0 up and cruising. The fact is that if Sunderland got a point at Everton then either us or Bristol would go down. Bristol came back to 2-2. Match at Everton finished and Sunderland lost so 2-2 meant both Cov and Bristol would stay up. Why would anyone in their right mind try for a winner and risk conceding? Would Sunderland in the same position? I strongly doubt it.

Oddly it has only been in recent years that this memory has become so toxic. It was hardly mentioned for decades. Shame as like other Cov fans I never had anything against Sunderland until all this recent nonsense and have always admired their levels of support.

Ashdown

Let’s just call it a draw and move on to the two winnable home games that follow.
How many shit hoiking fans are we taking up there this time ? It’s an awful time of the year for travel, especially if the trains are disrupted.
Happy Christmas all, stay safe and have fun 🎅🎄🎅

Users who are viewing this thread