Match Thread Sunderland - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 23rd Dec (1 Viewer)

MikeyMoo

"Strong at the back and clinical" - That's Coventry City we're talking about here. Kitching and Thomas must be a top 3 centre back pairing in the league on these performances, and it's O'Hare that's clinical, but still. Wright: drew the foul - ref played advantage - for first goal; feeds O'Hare for second goal; shields the ball for Palmer for the third. He'll get one assist on the stats but he's involved in all 3 goals.

Sky Blue Harry H

Love the guy's passion - not sure about his toastie making.

O'Nien's slap across the face captured nicely in the vid.

Gibbo

For all those Palmer-sceptics of previous weeks - there was absolutely nothing on when he got the ball on the touch line. With fantastic close control he worked his way down the line and up the byline and got a cross in into the danger area. He didn't stop there but kept running so was able to pick up the rebound, get goal side of another defender and fire it home.

And, we have to be honest that some of the Sunderland was genuinely awful - for Saka and O'Hare's goals in particular. We would pillory any defender who was so feeble as the one wrong footed by O'Hare. Beale has real problems

Nuskyblue

On the balance of things, Sunderland had chances to score and they’ll be disappointed they were wasteful. We missed a big chance at 0-0 ourselves and that’s just football. Overall, we created the better chances and it was a pretty comfortable game for us.

We weren’t ‘poor’ at all. We’re a counter attacking team and we had periods where we had to soak up pressure and struggled with our ‘out balls’. Some guy behind me said he’d struggle to mark the team 6/10 at 3-0, that’s just ridiculous.

Both teams try to play expansive football and Sunderland were the favourites coming into this match for a reason. They’re a good team with good players who cause you problems.

I agree that 3-0 was a generous score line, but we were deserved winners.
I don't know, the performance in the first 20 could be termed as poor I think. I do not like the way we start games.

Reminds me of teams we play where I think "they can't be any worse ( in the ²nd half) and they from memory were Brum (not Rooneys and maybes a Preston)

Happy_Martian

Also confirms it should have been given as a penalty. No idea why it wasn't, you can hear the whistle, ball gets kicked and then he fouls him

Ref wanted the corner retaken so big assumption says that he didn't give a penalty as he deemed it was a dead ball incident. Player still gets carded and corner retaken. End of.

skyblu3sk

For all those Palmer-sceptics of previous weeks - there was absolutely nothing on when he got the ball on the touch line. With fantastic close control he worked his way down the line and up the byline and got a cross in into the danger area. He didn't stop there but kept running so was able to pick up the rebound, get goal side of another defender and fire it home.

And, we have to be honest that some of the Sunderland was genuinely awful - for Saka and O'Hare's goals in particular. We would pillory any defender who was so feeble as the one wrong footed by O'Hare. Beale has real problems
Anyone who doesn't see Palmers obvious skill is a clueless muppet the main thing for him is to stay fit enough to get the best out of it!

StrettoBoy

I'm beginning to wonder if the silver lining in the black cloud created by Hamer's departure is that Calum O'Hare has been given more attacking freedom.

StrettoBoy

Anyone who doesn't see Palmers obvious skill is a clueless muppet the main thing for him is to stay fit enough to get the best out of it!

I agree that Palmer is a skilful player who brings something a bit different to the team. There may be an issue about his stamina but I would still rather have him than not.

Ashdown

Happy as a pig in shit with this result but very realistic ….we rode our luck and must be tighter at the back and not keep giving the ball away from the back…. Still onwards and upwards

Frostie

The ball was back in play by then.
Yeah, it's a mistake, should have been a penalty.
Difficult one for the ref, he's so focused on their constant shenanigans in the box he doesn't realise the ball is actually in play when the foul is committed.

Could make an argument for a red card too for violent conduct.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, it's a mistake, should have been a penalty.
Difficult one for the ref, he's so focused on their constant shenanigans in the box he doesn't realise the ball is actually in play when the foul is committed.

Could make an argument for a red card too for violent conduct.
It’s what he has assistants for isn’t it?

Jimbob123

Although today was bad on the pitch for us Sunderland fans I think it was good on the road to mend the random league 1 days rivalry between the two clubs. I'm hoping a few more games like today and everyone can move on both sides. If you have ever seen the Hatfields and McCoy's you know what I mean.

If you were at the game today you will have noticed that the sunderland lot didn't sing any anti cov songs as I can tell you he only thing on safc people's mind was the real scum game coming up, it was very much much the same Vs Leeds two weeks ago which would have been much more tasty in usual circumstances.

With regards to the game I think there wasn't much between the sides but yous were more clinical in front of goal and so probably deserved the win.

Good luck with the rest of the season lads.

Martin180

Although today was bad on the pitch for us Sunderland fans I think it was good on the road to mend the random league 1 days rivalry between the two clubs. I'm hoping a few more games like today and everyone can move on both sides. If you have ever seen the Hatfields and McCoy's you know what I mean.

If you were at the game today you will have noticed that the sunderland lot didn't sing any anti cov songs as I can tell you he only thing on safc people's mind was the real scum game coming up, it was very much much the same Vs Leeds two weeks ago which would have been much more tasty in usual circumstances.

With regards to the game I think there wasn't much between the sides but yous were more clinical in front of goal and so probably deserved the win.

Good luck with the rest of the season lads.
Fair comments , wasn't at the game but hoped all the recent social media nonsense didn't resurface.
We were very ordinary today but as always under Robins very well organised.
We rode our luck , especially early on , but we have a lot of goal options in our starting xi and off the bench and that was the difference today
Beale is a horrific appointment for you and that's coming from a club that's had it's fair share
All the best for the rest of the season as I feel you're going to need it

alexccfc99

Best away trip of the season that!

Have to say tho, Stadium of Light is definitely the least impressive of the ‘bigger’ grounds - It reminds me of the CBS about 10 years ago, completely soulless

Jimbob123

Fair comments , wasn't at the game but hoped all the recent social media nonsense didn't resurface.
We were very ordinary today but as always under Robins very well organised.
We rode our luck , especially early on , but we have a lot of goal options in our starting xi and off the bench and that was the difference today
Beale is a horrific appointment for you and that's coming from a club that's had it's fair share
All the best for the rest of the season as I feel you're going to need it

Think youre lot looked good in attack to be fair and even though Sunderland slightly edged the game stats I think Coventry looked better in attack and defence, which is where it matters most . Based off what I seen today it Could be a chance at the playoffs again for your lot again this season.

We are awful in defence and that will hold us back this season, I knew we wouldn't be good enough for the playoffs and the owner will again refuse to spend any money in January . It's sounds bad but if we can somehow fluke a win against the scum and finish mid table finish I'd take it.

Jimbob123

Best away trip of the season that!

Have to say tho, Stadium of Light is definitely the least impressive of the ‘bigger’ grounds - It reminds me of the CBS about 10 years ago, completely soulless

With all due respect mate today was a game that just got in the way, it was very much the same Vs Leeds a couple of weeks back, ever since the fa draw all other games are insignificant.
visit the stadium on the 6th of January and see if it's soulless 😀

Ashdown

With all due respect mate today was a game that just got in the way, it was very much the same Vs Leeds a couple of weeks back, ever since the fa draw all other games are insignificant.
Newcastle haven’t been exactly great recently. If Sunderland create as many chances as yesterday and actually stick one in the onion bag you will be in the mix but you may have to defend better as well .
Everyone loves a giant killing though !

Flying Fokker

Finishing second against Newcastle is better than finishing second against us? Yikes, that’s tunnel vision.

shmmeee

Newcastle vs Sunderland…

Animated GIF

Users who are viewing this thread