Summer signings/loans - Ratings so far (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

Hamer 10
Ostigard 8
Giles 7
O'Hare 5
McCallum 6
Sheaf 6
Walker 6

Da Costa 0
Hilsner 0

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Harsh on Dacosta, at least he’s made it onto the pitch!

Jamesimus

O’Hare - 6 - may seem harsh but high expectations, goes missing too much currently

I know he has found the step up as difficult as most of the other players (it seems like some people expected him to play even better than he did in League 1, but against tougher teams), but "goes missing"? Do you really think that? I would suggest that's one of the things he never does.

LilleSkyBlue

Yes, quite evident that despite his height he cannot play the lone striker role and was really concerning that we continued to go direct yesterday early on when the ball just came back at us. If we’re 1 up top we need to play with the ball on the ground like we did last season. If Max is up there with Walker then it does give us the option to be more direct.

Walker's 5'10''. He's rangier than Godden (5'9'') though which I think makes him look taller than he is. Despite what Oggy sometimes says, Max is 6'1'' and Baka 6'4''. For winning headers I'd go with Godden and Biamou. Baka wins some but without the desire and drive there it so often fizzles out.

I think Walker will get better as he plays more games, though equally I don't - yet - see how he's going to be amazing. So far pretty good, all the same.

ccfcricoh

I know he has found the step up as difficult as most of the other players (it seems like some people expected him to play even better than he did in League 1, but against tougher teams), but "goes missing"? Do you really think that? I would suggest that's one of the things he never does.
Agree its a massive step up and he wasnt going to necessarily look "as good" in comparison to the teams we were playing last year.

I just expected more from him, last year he always wanted the ball, when he had it, he always drove forward, and when he didnt, he was sticking his foot in.

There are quite a few times this season, where he barely see's the ball for 30mins/a half, agree that may not be fully his fault, but i thought it was the case yesterday as well, Wycombe he should have been all over and wanting everything, and running at them (Grimmer was at CB ffs!), i dont think he looked that dangerous at all yesterday, which we need him to be when 1 up top.

I'm not saying he's playing badly, or that i wouldnt play him, or signed him or anything stupid. I just think hes not been on his A game, and absolutely not questioning his work ethic.

Think the "super"sub coming on at 50/60mins role would suit his style of play better maybe.

Jamesimus

Agree its a massive step up and he wasnt going to necessarily look "as good" in comparison to the teams we were playing last year.

I just expected more from him, last year he always wanted the ball, when he had it, he always drove forward, and when he didnt, he was sticking his foot in.

There are quite a few times this season, where he barely see's the ball for 30mins/a half, agree that may not be fully his fault, but i thought it was the case yesterday as well, Wycombe he should have been all over and wanting everything, and running at them (Grimmer was at CB ffs!), i dont think he looked that dangerous at all yesterday, which we need him to be when 1 up top.

I'm not saying he's playing badly, or that i wouldnt play him, or signed him or anything stupid. I just think hes not been on his A game, and absolutely not questioning his work ethic.

Think the "super"sub coming on at 50/60mins role would suit his style of play better maybe.

Agree in terms of his impact being limited, but he was fouled nearly every time he touched the ball on Saturday!

I personally think he always shows for the ball and never tries to hide. But also, think this could be to his own detriment sometimes, because he probably isn't always best positioned to receive it.

I can fully see why bringing him on against a tired team yields results though.

He has definitely been guilty of missing chances and really should have an extra two goals to his name.

But he's important to our game defensively too.

Happy_Martian

I tend to agree with what the Wycombe commentator was saying yesterday during the match on Ifollow that Walker's very much a different kinda striker to Godden & that the team tends to play a bit more direct with Walker & less so when Godden's playing & that the striker basically influences how a team play - it's quite a tasty prospect the thought of seeing them both together in a match

I heard this as well but couldn't understand how they came to that assumption with us. We play long to Godden as well. In fact, we probably played more long balls for Godden to chase (which he has no pace for) than we do for Walker (who we expect to outjump every CB in the league). Walker needs the balls to chase and Godden would be a better holding striker if the ball was played low for him to protect. Can't see Max and God working together as they (in my eyes) are too similar in style. But either could work with Walker.

As for the topic, besides DaCosta, Hilsner and the bomb squad, I've been pretty impressed with them all. Hamer and Osti are the obvious standouts but Sheaf and Giles are playing above what we expected. I'd like Giles to be a bit more aggressive in the tackle and not jump out of the way each time but going forward, he is what we had last season with Dabo on the opposite side, a player with pace and a cracking ability to cross. O'Hare is one we expected more from but last season, he was an impact sub. This year, he has to prove the starting spot is his. Otherwise, I fear he'll end up like Allen.

Happy_Martian

I’ve been frustrated by his inability to direct the headers. Could have easily had more goals. (I know he’s a defender) - but the way our set pieces are geared towards Hamer’s laser crosses to his head.....

Perhaps that's why they put him at the back stick. So when he heads it, he only has to worry about sending it straight back across the box ;)

Garryb80

No, not really.

He's scored 3 hasn't he? One more than Kelly. Also Godden apparently has 4 but he's been injured for about three years.
Yet walker still started less games than godden. I'd rather a striker willing to shoot than someone who doesn't. When partnered with biamou he looked very effective. Cant understand your view to be honest

Mucca Mad Boys

I heard this as well but couldn't understand how they came to that assumption with us. We play long to Godden as well. In fact, we probably played more long balls for Godden to chase (which he has no pace for) than we do for Walker (who we expect to outjump every CB in the league). Walker needs the balls to chase and Godden would be a better holding striker if the ball was played low for him to protect. Can't see Max and God working together as they (in my eyes) are too similar in style. But either could work with Walker.

As for the topic, besides DaCosta, Hilsner and the bomb squad, I've been pretty impressed with them all. Hamer and Osti are the obvious standouts but Sheaf and Giles are playing above what we expected. I'd like Giles to be a bit more aggressive in the tackle and not jump out of the way each time but going forward, he is what we had last season with Dabo on the opposite side, a player with pace and a cracking ability to cross. O'Hare is one we expected more from but last season, he was an impact sub. This year, he has to prove the starting spot is his. Otherwise, I fear he'll end up like Allen.

We’re being more direct because we have midfielders who can pick up the second ball. There were times, particularly when we were doing badly, where we tried to retain possession in our own third and at times it invited pressure onto ourselves.

Robins is pragmatic, we’ve gone a bit more direct, we’ve had some very average performances. But, the outcome is 7 games unbeaten, and 1 goal conceded from open play and we’d all take that in this league.

I do think Godden and Walker will be paired up front together when everyone is 100% and I look forward to that.

Happy_Martian

We’re being more direct because we have midfielders who can pick up the second ball. There were times, particularly when we were doing badly, where we tried to retain possession in our own third and at times it invited pressure onto ourselves.
I do think Godden and Walker will be paired up front together when everyone is 100% and I look forward to that.

Wasn't commenting on the long pass style of play, but that the Wycombe commentators said we'd changed style to suit Walker. And I couldn't see that at all. Even clubs at the top of the ladder will play direct if it has a chance to start an attack. And there, I am in agreement with you that our midfield is more mobile than we've seen for a while so are able to pick up the second balls.

God and Walker ? I don't have your confidence but like most things Sky Blue, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong :)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Yet walker still started less games than godden. I'd rather a striker willing to shoot than someone who doesn't. When partnered with biamou he looked very effective. Cant understand your view to be honest

He's started less games and scored less goals. Not sure what point you are trying to make there.

I think we still need to see quite a bit more from him as I think other players performing poorly have thrown shadow in the way.

He's scored 3 goals. You're acting as if he's ripping the league apart.

Johhny Blue

Grimmer played CB in their previous game. He was very much right back against us

Brighton Sky Blue

He's started less games and scored less goals. Not sure what point you are trying to make there.

I think we still need to see quite a bit more from him as I think other players performing poorly have thrown shadow in the way.

He's scored 3 goals. You're acting as if he's ripping the league apart.

To be honest Walker looks a bit knackered still. He definitely isn’t suited to leading the line on his own and has seemed off the pace in recent games. Though as we have nobody else he’ll have to soldier through it

stevefloyd

Dacosta...juries still out
Hillsner...read above
McCallum...started great at right back but has had a few poor games lately and can't seem to pass to one of his team mates with any regularity
Sheaf...Quite relaxed on the ball ..too relaxed.. but still a sort of enigma plays some suicide passes at times and loves a push :)
Hamer.. had some of his game taken away from him regarding yellows/red but his speed of thought and able to execute those passes is sublime at times our top marque signing so far
Osti.. had a few better games recently and is growing stronger a danger at set pieces with a will to win
Giles..Offers more of an attacking threat, strated off looking rapid but seems to have lost a bit of pace maybe that was fatigue for a young lad
Walker...still unsure what to make of him, seems out of games for long periods, his control is poor at times but can obviously finish maybe the system we play doesn't suit him as yet until he either adapts or goes the way of JCH and Chaplin to find a team that does suit their style.
O'Hare... when he is on his game he is brilliant unfortunately we haven't seen this with any regularity so far but he is still only raw atm so hopefully the consitancy comes

Users who are viewing this thread