Summer signings/loans - Ratings so far (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

Hamer 9
Osti 9

Walker 7 (really looking forward to seeing how he works with God/promising signs of a partnership with Max)
McCallum 7
O'Hare 7
Giles 7 (I like him a lot and rate him highly as a wing back - gives us real pace - brilliant at Norwich and want to see him back in the team)

Sheaf 6

Hils Not really sure what's going on there but seems nowhere near the squad
DaCosta Making the bench after injury

Not sure who I am missing? Overall really good success again by our scouting team and analysts. O'Hare was brilliant business. Hamer and Osti both amazing finds. McCallum and Giles give us depth at LWB.

The only question I have around Sheaf is his dynamism and athleticism to be a force in this League. Hope the medical issues are sorted out with Hils and looking forward to seeing what DaCosta can do - with his pace could even be an option in the back 3.

Harry_Walker

Hamer- very solid 9/10 Seemed to have improved after the Bournemouth red
Ostigard- 8/10 started a bit shaky but adapted very well and now looks top notch
Walker- 7/10 looks a little lazy to me but clinical
O’Hare- 7/10 potential to be a top player but went missing too much during our bad run but looks too hot to handle when on his game
McCallum- 6/10 not great but also not bad
Giles- 6/10 good pace and fantastic cross but doesn’t offer much else
Sheaf- 6/10 very much seems a confidence player, do think budget and time could have been better used elsewhere
DaCosta + Hilßner- looks pointless and potentially little research on the pair
Camp- doubt we’ll see him but hope we do as I don’t have much faith in Wilson

SBAndy

Walker lazy? Not sure i have been watching the same matches as you. He's always moving and battling for the ball, doing all the ugly stuff. He looks a better player with a partner to bounce off.

Yes, quite evident that despite his height he cannot play the lone striker role and was really concerning that we continued to go direct yesterday early on when the ball just came back at us. If we’re 1 up top we need to play with the ball on the ground like we did last season. If Max is up there with Walker then it does give us the option to be more direct.

AFCCOVENTRY

I think Dacosta will be key to giving Dabo a rest. Robins thinks he’s a key player for the squad.

In terms of the amount of games in a week and injuries. I would recall Mason, Drysdale and Eccles in Jan. I would send out on loan (on basis they can’t be sold) Baka, Allen, Kasta, Hilsner and Pask. Then see if we can get a couple of quality premiership loan signings (youngsters) if we can. In Jan prem clubs more willing to give decent deals to Champ clubs for players to get 1st team action.

block16

Yes, quite evident that despite his height he cannot play the lone striker role and was really concerning that we continued to go direct yesterday early on when the ball just came back at us. If we’re 1 up top we need to play with the ball on the ground like we did last season. If Max is up there with Walker then it does give us the option to be more direct.
We scored our first by going long to him

NorthernWisdom

O'Hare has disappointed me so far. tbf I have (overly?) high hopes for him, and it's also his first season of regular football at this level but, on his day he's superb, and we just haven't seen that much.

That said, maybe next season, after a year of adapting to this level, is where he really kicks on and we get the better version more often.

Giles has pleasantly surprised after seemingly not being fancied last season but, it seems Robins prefers McCallum as his go-to when the chips are down. Sheaf, I'm not sure about yet either.

Hamer is a refreshing change that we spunk cash around and don't waste it!

Last edited:

Frostie

I think with the exception of Dacosta & Hilßner who we've not had chance to judge, I really like the look of all of them & all offer something we didn't have previously (except McCallum who we did have previously of course!).

Unlike many I'm a huge Sheaf fan, he does so many unnoticed things well & despite the odd error his ball retention & ability to play progressive passes is excellent.

It's no surprise that some of the big football recruitment experts hail our recruitment team as one of the best in the business.

baldy

I tend to agree with what the Wycombe commentator was saying yesterday during the match on Ifollow that Walker's very much a different kinda striker to Godden & that the team tends to play a bit more direct with Walker & less so when Godden's playing & that the striker basically influences how a team play - it's quite a tasty prospect the thought of seeing them both together in a match

Liquid Gold

I like Sheaf too, he has a hospital pass or big error in him but is still very young and learning at this level. I think we'll end up making a big profit on him.

Londonccfcfan

I think Dacosta will be key to giving Dabo a rest. Robins thinks he’s a key player for the squad.

In terms of the amount of games in a week and injuries. I would recall Mason, Drysdale and Eccles in Jan. I would send out on loan (on basis they can’t be sold) Baka, Allen, Kasta, Hilsner and Pask. Then see if we can get a couple of quality premiership loan signings (youngsters) if we can. In Jan prem clubs more willing to give decent deals to Champ clubs for players to get 1st team action.
Agree with most of this apart from Allen. I'd keep him. He's experienced at this level and I'd keep him. Has he been a proper crack. He can defo do a job off the bench I think. Needs extended run and confidence

Reactions: AOM

Londonccfcfan

Hamer 9
Osti 9

Walker 7 (really looking forward to seeing how he works with God/promising signs of a partnership with Max)
McCallum 7
O'Hare 7
Giles 7 (I like him a lot and rate him highly as a wing back - gives us real pace - brilliant at Norwich and want to see him back in the team)

Sheaf 6

Hils Not really sure what's going on there but seems nowhere near the squad
DaCosta Making the bench after injury

Not sure who I am missing? Overall really good success again by our scouting team and analysts. O'Hare was brilliant business. Hamer and Osti both amazing finds. McCallum and Giles give us depth at LWB.

The only question I have around Sheaf is his dynamism and athleticism to be a force in this League. Hope the medical issues are sorted out with Hils and looking forward to seeing what DaCosta can do - with his pace could even be an option in the back 3.

Agree with this and the ratings.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Agree with this and the ratings.
I don’t think Sheaf has been any worse than O’Hare - They both have their moments but generally they’ve been ok. Both will definitely improve and be good signings

I’m also not massively convinced by Ostigard, but admittedly he’s been really good the last 2/3 games

Johhny Blue

I don’t think Sheaf has been any worse than O’Hare - They both have their moments but generally they’ve been ok. Both will definitely improve and be good signings

I’m also not massively convinced by Ostigard, but admittedly he’s been really good the last 2/3 games
We have 2 Ostigards???

Skybluebeliever

I agree with dacosta , I think he could feature quite soon could get Dabo into midfield !!!

larry_david

Robins said dacosta is a really good player for us. Clearly that's after he's been here 4 months now and behind the scenes training. He had absolutely no need to say that in an interview, and if hhe was a dud likke hilsner appears to be he'd just not saying anything, wouldn't he?

fernandopartridge

O'Hare has disappointed me so far. tbf I have (overly?) high hopes for him, and it's also his first season of regular football at this level but, on his day he's superb, and we just haven't seen that much.

That said, maybe next season, after a year of adapting to this level, is where he really kicks on and we get the better version more often.

Giles has pleasantly surprised after seemingly not being fancied last season but, it seems Robins prefers McCallum as his go-to when the chips are down. Sheaf, I'm not sure about yet either.

Hamer is a refreshing change that we spunk cash around and don't waste it!
O'Hare has been one of our best players this season, really don't understand what you think he's capable of but given the role he's asked to play he's been superb

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hamer and Leo speak for themselves. They have been two of our best players.

It might not be a popular opinion, but I am not very convinced on Walker at all so far. I know people like to throw the 'isolated' card out, but he seems to miss a lot of chances and I'm not sure his brain is quite there. How much did we pay for him out of interest?

McCallum seems to be going through a bit of a tricky patch at the moment. I hope he gets through it but I would be playing Giles at this point.

O'Hare has been working very hard but I agree with the people highlighting a bit of disappointment. That's with his final product for me, everything else I can't fault. Perhaps when Godden is back that will improve. They have been on a similar wavelength previously, as he has been with Giles too, who also isn't playing.

DaCosta is a sick note along with Hillsner. Cannot really comment on either at this stage, but it is a shame they aren't playing. To have two new signings out is tough.

Sheaf is hit and miss. Needs to play a bit more because some of it is promising. Penalty was stupid to give away on Saturday though.

Will be interesting to see this thread at the end of the season.

Garryb80

Hamer and Leo speak for themselves. They have been two of our best players.

It might not be a popular opinion, but I am not very convinced on Walker at all so far. I know people like to throw the 'isolated' card out, but he seems to miss a lot of chances and I'm not sure his brain is quite there. How much did we pay for him out of interest?

McCallum seems to be going through a bit of a tricky patch at the moment. I hope he gets through it but I would be playing Giles at this point.

O'Hare has been working very hard but I agree with the people highlighting a bit of disappointment. That's with his final product for me, everything else I can't fault. Perhaps when Godden is back that will improve. They have been on a similar wavelength previously, as he has been with Giles too, who also isn't playing.

DaCosta is a sick note along with Hillsner. Cannot really comment on either at this stage, but it is a shame they aren't playing. To have two new signings out is tough.

Sheaf is hit and miss. Needs to play a bit more because some of it is promising. Penalty was stupid to give away on Saturday though.

Will be interesting to see this thread at the end of the season.
Walker is our top scorer but you don't feel impressed?

skybluesam66

walker is the same sort of signing as Mcnulty and Godden, Not a number 1 choice at the previous club, but Robins knew there was a good striker there that would come on with confidence

Look back over the last 3 years at some of the comments on the former 2
You can add David McGoldrick on to that list from his first time here.

stevefloyd

walker is the same sort of signing as Mcnulty and Godden, Not a number 1 choice at the previous club, but Robins knew there was a good striker there that would come on with confidence

Look back over the last 3 years at some of the comments on the former 2
You can add David McGoldrick on to that list from his first time here.
How many times do you think he played here?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We have 2 Ostigards???
I found him a bit reckless, just as aggressive as Hamer has been and indeed been criticised for. He had to be taken off at HT v Bournemouth before he got sent off, and he storms forward leaving the other defenders exposed when we lose the ball, and whilst he wins all his headers they bounced off him in all directions. I’ve been frustrated by his inability to direct the headers. Could have easily had more goals. (I know he’s a defender) - but the way our set pieces are geared towards Hamer’s laser crosses to his head - I’d expect the reasoning being he’s our best header.

like I said, he’s played extremely well the last 3 games, his headers seem more directed (maybe a confidence thing from his Rotherham goal)

he’s becoming more consistent, and more like the player Robins clearly sees

Yorkshire SB

Sheaf is a good player, but he wants to play in the position Kelly plays. Prior to Kelly coming back he was really good, albeit the whole side has improved with Kelly back in the team.

He needs to have the game in front of him. I think he can do that role really well, and have faith he'll play well in the coming weeks.

Ostigard - class, for a 21 year old, he's as good as it gets at this level
Hamer - I can't remember a better, or at least more influential player for us since McSheffrey pre Brum
O'Hare - unbelievable player and talent, will be a top champ player in a couple of years
McCallum - seems to divide opinion but i'm a huge fan. Physically immense, and adds a lot more than people realise

Giles - really good player, but not sure we have a position for him
Walker - been ok, great finisher but doesn't do a lot else - hoping he can improve the other sides of his game

ccfcricoh

Ones that have played:
Hamer- 9 - stand out player
Ostigard- 8 - probably my favourite player currently, would love to sign permanently
Walker- 7 - think he has lacked support in a number of games and done quite well with chances had
O’Hare - 6 - may seem harsh but high expectations, goes missing too much currently
McCallum - 7 - having to do more defensive works but doing well under pressure
Giles - 7 - close with Mccallum , offer different strengths, good fight over the shirt
Sheaf - 6 - think he has done ok, but nothing stand out, more to come i think

stupot07

Hamer 10
Ostigard 8
Giles 7
O'Hare 5
McCallum 6
Sheaf 6
Walker 6

Da Costa 1
Hilsner 0

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk