Strong Enough to Compete in the Championship? (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

If are fortunate to go up.
If we have the momentum factor people are talking about.

I guess with this squad the momentum factor may keep us up or get us mid table.

We would then need a minimum of Three top quality Championship players and a lot of luck to compete for a play off place.

Who in the current squad do you think is good enough for mid table championship.

Personally I think

Murphy
Adams (if we can get him on a free in the summer)
Wood
Edge (maybe)
Christie
Clarke

Fleck ( I know lots will disagree with me)
Barton ( I know lots will disagree with me)
Bailey
Moussa
Baker
Sheff

Clarke (still need to see)

Last edited:

Paxman II

Good question!

Actually I believe MR's is building with this in mind and of course regardless of what happened the core of the side was always good enough and under Robin's much of those have improved like McSheffrey and Baker.

The momentun and confidence gained is a major factor and with just a couple of players here and there I would see no reason we wouldn't be near the top end with every chance of promotion. I never thought Norwich or Sothampton would do it but they did.

slyblue57

Fleck and Barton are so underated by our fans.
Both are championship quality at the very least.
Both come in and out of the team at the moment without a steady run of games
to get properly match fit. Fleck will be a great player given time and Barton has huge
potential.
pusb

dongonzalos

Good question!

Actually I believe MR's is building with this in mind and of course regardless of what happened the core of the side was always good enough and under Robin's much of those have improved like McSheffrey and Baker.

The momentun and confidence gained is a major factor and with just a couple of players here and there I would see no reason we wouldn't be near the top end with every chance of promotion. I never thought Norwich or Sothampton would do it but they did.

Sorry I saved it without Sheff and baker in I think they are good enough.

Sheff it depends how he ages next season

stupot07

This squad is nohwhere near a championship play off contender, I fact this squad would struggle to avoid relegation and would probably finish in our usual 17-19th place.

If we go up I expect us to do what Brighton did and be early pace setters before tailing off and ending up lower mid table.

Yorkshire SB

Fleck and Barton are so underated by our fans.
Both are championship quality at the very least.
Both come in and out of the team at the moment without a steady run of games
to get properly match fit. Fleck will be a great player given time and Barton has huge
potential.
pusb

What substantial evidence do you have to support that? They don't start in our team, haven't had previous success in the Championship, so to say they're Championship at least is a bit far.

dongonzalos

What substantial evidence do you have to support that? They don't start in our team, haven't had previous success in the Championship, so to say they're Championship at least is a bit far.

When you say previous success in the championship

Barton had personal success in the championship even if Preston didn't prior to his injury

Wolves could be set to battle Liverpool over a summer swoop for £1m-rated Preston midfielder Adam Barton.

Manager Mick McCarthy made the latest Wolves check on the highly-rated 19-year-old in North End’s 2-1 defeat at Reading on Tuesday night.

But Liverpool are also in the hunt, with Reds assistant manager Sammy Lee seen at Deepdale several times this season. Preston-born Barton is described as a ball-playing midfielder who likes to get forward.,

He has made 32 appearances for Preston this season, including 23 Championship starts in what is his first full campaign in senior football. Barton made his League debut a year ago tomorrow for Preston in a 3-2 win over Scunthorpe.

skybluegod

Barton has had 2-3 good games here so far the rest he has been pretty woeful. fleck is improving now. right now if we had another striker, CB, CDM and LW i could see us in the top half of the championship.

Would like to see
----------------------------murphy
christie---wood/new signing--edge/new signing---adams
----------bailey-----------------jennings
---baker------------moussa---------------fleck/new signing
----------------------clarke

subs:dunn
clarke
cameron
new CDM
fleck/new LW
elliot
new striker.

barton maybe comes into it depending i do think he has potential.

Mucca Mad Boys

Barton 3 goals, 1 assist.
Fleck, our top assister, 6, with 2 goals.

Both have had less games under MR to extend this.

Barton was PNE's best player in the Championship.

Fleck was on loan at Blackpool, I don't know how well he did...

Both have been linked to prem clubs throughout their young careers.

dongonzalos

This squad is nohwhere near a championship play off contender, I fact this squad would struggle to avoid relegation and would probably finish in our usual 17-19th place.

If we go up I expect us to do what Brighton did and be early pace setters before tailing off and ending up lower mid table.

Yes that is what I said.

It would need at least 3 signings of top quality championship players and a lot if luck just to get sixth.

skybluegod

Barton had personal success in the championship even if Preston didn't prior to his injury

Wolves could be set to battle Liverpool over a summer swoop for £1m-rated Preston midfielder Adam Barton.

Manager Mick McCarthy made the latest Wolves check on the highly-rated 19-year-old in North End’s 2-1 defeat at Reading on Tuesday night.

But Liverpool are also in the hunt, with Reds assistant manager Sammy Lee seen at Deepdale several times this season. Preston-born Barton is described as a ball-playing midfielder who likes to get forward.,

He has made 32 appearances for Preston this season, including 23 Championship starts in what is his first full campaign in senior football. Barton made his League debut a year ago tomorrow for Preston in a 3-2 win over Scunthorpe.

That was just speculation no bid ever came in. 1000's of players are scoured every year by clubs. christie was meant to go to newcastle according to the papers that never happened he was scouted but that doesn't mean anything.

skybluegod

Apparently i think i read somewhere he didn't do great at blackpool

Mucca Mad Boys

If we got promoted we would need:

2 wingers, possibly young lads to come through?
A CM, if Doyle joins in Jan, we won't need one.
LB, hopefully Adams,
1 or 2 CBs

With a good manager, and momentum... Who knows what could happen ;)

stupot07

He has made 32 appearances for Preston this season, including 23 Championship starts in what is his first full campaign in senior football. Barton made his League debut a year ago tomorrow for Preston in a 3-2 win over Sc-unithorpe.
Can we please stop quoting this bollocks please about Adam Barton and injury preventing a big move to Liverpool? It's just fecking paper talk.

It was initially reported in the Mirror on 2nd January 2011 http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...med-for-5m-Adam-Barton-bid-article662511.html and again o. The 3rd Jan 2011 http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...pare-5m-bid-for-preston-youngster-adam-barton

He didn't break his leg until the 25th Feb 2012 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2106800/Adam-Barton-injured-rest-season.html

Liverpool and wolves for that matter had 3 transfer window to make their move for him before he broke his leg - January 2011, Summer 2011, & January 2012

Guess what they didn't, so therefore they were probably just paper talk. Just like the rumours that stoke and Newcastle were poised to swoop for christie in October 2011 - they didn't http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9618113.stm

dongonzalos

That was just speculation no bid ever came in. 1000's of players are scoured every year by clubs. christie was meant to go to newcastle according to the papers that never happened he was scouted but that doesn't mean anything.

Players who are doing well in the championship get linked with premiership clubs.

How many of our midfielders were linked with 2-5 million pound moves to the premiership.

He did well. He got an horrific injury he is trying to get back to where he was

dongonzalos

Can we please stop quoting this bollocks please about Adam Barton and injury preventing a big move to Liverpool? It's just fecking paper talk.

It was initially reported in the Mirror on 2nd January 2011 http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...med-for-5m-Adam-Barton-bid-article662511.html and again o. The 3rd Jan 2011 http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...pare-5m-bid-for-preston-youngster-adam-barton

He didn't break his leg until the 25th Feb 2012 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2106800/Adam-Barton-injured-rest-season.html

Liverpool and wolves for that matter had 3 transfer window to make their move for him before he broke his leg - January 2011, Summer 2011, & January 2012

Guess what they didn't, so therefore they were probably just paper talk. Just like the rumours that stoke and Newcastle were poised to swoop for christie in October 2011 - they didn't http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9618113.stm

Baker, bell, Clingan were all getting linked to the likes of Liverpool last season. Papers just link everyone.

Speculation like this always comes when you are shit.

SkyBlue_Bear83

What makes you say Barton was there best player in the championship? I bet a lot of pne fans would likely disagree

Gaz

I think that if we did get back into the Championship, then Edge and Wood are a two players that we should look to replace.
I don't think they would cope well against Championship forwards.

Mucca Mad Boys

What makes you say Barton was there best player in the championship? I bet a lot of pne fans would likely disagree

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/wolverhampton-wanderers-potential-summer-transfer-targets-2315797.html?action=gallery&ino=5

I also read somewhere else, that he became a 'key player' in whoever was manager 's side.

He was also one of their better players last season before his triple leg break.

EDIT: just look at the 'string of impressive displays' part, I don't care about the transfer rumours part.

ricohman

I think the current squad would struggle in the championship, Its all about the mark robins factor though.

He could drive us on to mid table finish or further he seems shrewd in the transfer window and could pick up a few cracking young signings on loan or permanent.

SkyblueBazza

Who knows when we just keep losing the big players that matter the most to us.

I think this is what MR is probably focusing on for now...getting a balanced side where if we lose one, we can slot someone in easily without disrupting the overall strength of the team. I doubt he's rueing DMs departure too much as getting him to stay would be well over budget. The money can be used to compensate (e.g. Leon) & strengthen other bits to suit the style he wants to play...with view to auto promo from L1 next season. If we get promo this season we might struggle again in the Championship with this squad (IMO)

ccfcway

we might not get there for a few years yet, when a lot of these players wont be here

its like asking how many mpg will the flying car do

ccfcway

we might not get there for a few years yet, when a lot of these players wont be here

its like asking how many mpg will the flying car do

BBC mocked Preston this weekend saying "Weston still belives Preston could have a say in the play offs" and they are only 2 points behnd us, as are Wallsall !

stupot07

Baker, bell, Clingan were all getting linked to the likes of Liverpool last season. Papers just link everyone.

Speculation like this always comes when you are shit.

They probably scouted him, why not, clubs are always scouting players. Doesn't mean they were actually interested in signing him.

I remember clingan being linked with Leeds on a number of a occasions last season - where is he now? http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/c...g-up-fresh-sammy-clingan-move-92746-30189564/ could have had on a free in the summer.

Why didn't liverpool swoop for Barton in those 3 transfer windows?

dongonzalos

When you are a young championship player to get linked with Liverpool you have to be doing something right at that moment in time.

The speculation may have been right or wrong.

However he was linking because he was playing well not crap.

So he has got championship experience and played during it.

Grendel

Players who are doing well in the championship get linked with premiership clubs.

How many of our midfielders were linked with 2-5 million pound moves to the premiership.

He did well. He got an horrific injury he is trying to get back to where he was

How many games did he play in the championship?

He has only started 37 league games and according to Soccerbase 22 of them were in League One last season.

rupert_bear

Barton came here on the back of a serious leg break which threatened his career and it showed. Chicken is a harsh word in football terms but lets be honest he was, lately when he comes on he is a lot better lets hope this continues. If the Lee Bowyer strories are true he maybe the ideal partner for yoing Barton.

Grendel

When you are a young championship player to get linked with Liverpool you have to be doing something right at that moment in time.

Answer Stu's question. Why was he not signed in 3 transfer windows when fully fit?

dongonzalos

Answer Stu's question. Why was he not signed in 3 transfer windows when fully fit?

Someone said neither player have had a successful spell in the championship Barton has.

You do not get linked in the papers to premiership sides be it just speculation or not because you are playing shit.

That does not happen.

They speculate about people moving to one of the top teams when that person is doing well and is rated.

The answer is in there I am sure you can work it out.

stupot07

They took Thomas on loan with a view to a permenent transfer based on 1 sub appearance in the championship and 1 fa cup game

Grendel

QUOTE]

Billy Jones was voted Preston player of the year the one season Barton played in the Championship

Fleck was a big flop at Blackpool

Users who are viewing this thread