Strikers who would do a job (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Hopefully Marc Richards wont be match fit for Saturday (he's been out for ages hasn't he?) Think he'll be on the bench, at best.

steve82

"We’re in direct competition for one player with Coventry" - rival boss

Yup it looks like we were in for him, was between us and Swindon as Carlisle couldn’t compete financially.

However I don’t think I would have been happy with giving a 35 year old an 18 month contract. So maybe length of contract swung it their way.

18 month deal would of been the only way, he would of had options and as we know know he did.

What's the betting we played hard ball over a 6 month deal.

Onto the next player now but he could well of bridged the gap we needed to close

Londonccfcfan

18 month deal would of been the only way, he would of had options and as we know know he did.

What's the betting we played hard ball over a 6 month deal.

Onto the next player now but he could well of bridged the gap we needed to close

Hahah true...Definitely don’t think we would have given or offered him 18 month contract. He’s 36 in July. It would would have been 6 months with option of another year.

steve82

Hahah true...Definitely don’t think we would have given or offered him 18 month contract. He’s 36 in July. It would would have been 6 months with option of another year.

That would of been the best way to structure it, get promotion and you'd be releasing him anyway for a younger better striker anyway, yet fail with promotion and your good to go again.

I'd not of been worried about his age so much, It's good business for Swindon anyway.

stupot07

Does the same logic apply to someone who has been with a club but injured and not played this season? Carl Baker for instance?
Normally I would say no, but Baker might be an exception as he is recovering and training with us, so will have the chance to prove his fitness before Robins signs him. There is a difference though as if we signed him, we could use him off the bench and ease him in gently. If we sign a striker to bring goals and replace biamou with the view of starting, we need them to hit the ground running. In our experience, takes for out of contract players 10-12 weeks to get properly match fit and contributing... King, Cole, Hunt are jusr 3 recent players who signed off the back of little football and struggled for fitness. I'd also argue we didn't see the best of moussa until he was properly fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RoboCCFC90

Take your pick;

Matty Fryatt*
Dexter Blackstock
Ishmail Miller
Rhys Murphy**

*Matty was born in Nuneaton (I think?) get a local lad in?

**Rhys Murphy we were linked with a couple of years ago.

gspotgaz

One of the major issues that people keep forgetting is that the midfield and defence dont score anywhere near enough goals. THIS could be our downfall and not so much the striker issue

Alkhen

Take your pick;

Matty Fryatt*
Dexter Blackstock
Ishmail Miller
Rhys Murphy**

God thats slim pickings right there

Fryatt has played 24 games since 2014 (acording to wiki)

Rhys Murphy couldnt get a game for FGR

Really don't get how Miller still has any kind of rep, apart from some early promise he's never played consistently or done particularly well anywhere . 48 in 256 isn't very prolific.

Blackstock could be a gamble, always played at a higher level so would want big wages and has had injuries recently

fernandopartridge

Barrett scored 3 today Ponticelli 2 more I no it was only an under 23s game but surely the way they play could be adapted to the first team at least they are both full of confidence unlike Max.Not saying play them every game but surely a great option.

Funny thing is that the pitches at the Higgs Centre are far superior to those at the Ricoh. Perhaps we should play our home games there next season!

Cavan O'Doherty

Take your pick;

Matty Fryatt*
Dexter Blackstock
Ishmail Miller
Rhys Murphy**

Add Simon Church to that list. Think he could do a job in league 2 and he's still only 29.

stupot07

Matty fryatt hasn't played since March 2015 due to long term injury problems.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

Grendel

Surely Ponticelli is the backup for McNulty?

What we need is a Biamou type who scores now and again. Then we'd have two poacher-types, and two bludgeoning types.

Biamou is about as bludgeoning as Mr Humphries.

coop

Looks like we missed out on the striker that has just signed for Swindon so MR must again look elsewhere like he had to and we ended up with Max.

Sky Blue Harry H

If an attack of Beavon, Ponticelli and the 80% fit Reading lad can muster 6 between them, do we have to have a bludgeoning centre forward? Ideally, I understand that we need it as an alternative if a more mobile attack won't function, but the above (with McNulty instead of Beavon?) might prove effective?

Nick

Administrator
If an attack of Beavon, Ponticelli and the 80% fit Reading lad can muster 6 between them, do we have to have a bludgeoning centre forward? Ideally, I understand that we need it as an alternative if a more mobile attack won't function, but the above (with McNulty instead of Beavon?) might prove effective?

We do when the general tactic is to not look up and hammer it forward time after time.

Nick

Administrator
McNulty Says

How can Coventry start scoring more goals?

The gaffer has been open in saying that we’re looking to bring in a striker to help which I definitely think is needed. The Duke [Duckens Nazon] has gone back to Wolves and we’ve picked up a couple of injuries in the attack. I think in this league, a lot of teams play with a big man. We’ve been missing a bit of that. Sometimes we need to change our game and play a bit more long ball.”

Alkhen

Maybe not the target man we need but Dany N'Guessan is available on a free. never really fulfilled his early promise but from what i can remember he is powerful and fast with links to the midlands and still only 30

Users who are viewing this thread