Strikers Who Came Good (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Houchen - I was at West Ham 1st game of 86/7 season and he looked everything like you’d expect from a lower league journeyman.

From January 87 (FA Cup games) - he became a Sky Blue legend.

He did but he was still hopeless mostly as a goalscorer in the league

skybluecam

Bakayoko was never great but I have never ever seen a resurrection of a player like that. He had the worst performance from a City striker in the last 10 years in the 2-0 loss away at Blackpool and then about a month later he was worshipped after his goals against Charlton.

Haji needs a moment like that. Fumbling a winner in front of a packed away end.
Goal(s) on Saturday for either of our new strikers would be massive. We’ve got a decent allocation and everyone is desperate to see them score.

Voice_of_Reason

I appreciate some of these comparisons are slightly ludicrous...

Speedie - awful start with us when it looked like we were just overpaying at the corner shop rather than shopping at Harrods. Did have to move into midfield mind you.

Regis - Looked washed up, past it, a waste of space until Sillett came along and played to his strengths.

Rosario. Awful, not sure why we signed somebody who was poor for Norwich too. Was great alongside Quinn though and made the latter as a scorer.

Adebola. Needed to go on loan to find his mojo.
McNulty.... didn't get off the mark until Xmas, ended up scoring 25..

blunted

Terry Gibson was another difficult character who used to laugh when the team lost. Used to be ITK back in the day.
Old brain gone, that was Ian Gibson. Saw Terry and Mick Hartford in town. They looked really scary and hard especially Hartford. Such a shame he was injured right away

ProfessorbyGrace

Moldovan…

…he just came good (again) at Fenerbahce. Thanks for Villa Park though.

Didn't Andy Morrell do ok for us, once he had a run in the team?

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Moldovan…

…he just came good (again) at Fenerbahce. Thanks for Villa Park though.

Didn't Andy Morrell do ok for us, once he had a run in the team?
Andy Morrell was another striker that we kept playing as a winger for some unknown reason. From what i recall he was a very hard working player but not especially skillful and i dont think he ever broke double figures in a season for us (plenty more strikers like that over the Championship years i suppose!)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Andy Morrell was another striker that we kept playing as a winger for some unknown reason. From what i recall he was a very hard working player but not especially skillful and i dont think he ever broke double figures in a season for us (plenty more strikers like that over the Championship years i suppose!)
Yep, always felt he was never given a fair crack solely as a striker. Was never going to be the best player in the world but had a good work ethic and seemed to have a knack of knowing where the goal was.

Always thought Aloisi was unlucky not to get more playing time with us.

SlowerThanPlatt

Morrell I will always remember scoring a cracking bicycle kick winner 2004? against West Ham, Doyle bent a free kick into the top corner the same game. Yes really

Finham

Yep, always felt he was never given a fair crack solely as a striker. Was never going to be the best player in the world but had a good work ethic and seemed to have a knack of knowing where the goal was.

Always thought Aloisi was unlucky not to get more playing time with us.
Should have kept Aloisi after relegation and not bothered with signing Hughes.

Ian1779

At one point he had a run of games up front and scored 5 in 5 or something very similar, he then got dumped out on the wing and that was really the end of his scoring prowess.

Malaka

If I remember right, Callum Wilson was released by Pressley and got resigned after the start of the season he started banging them in

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

At one point he had a run of games up front and scored 5 in 5 or something very similar, he then got dumped out on the wing and that was really the end of his scoring prowess.
Amazing really, that if you play someone out of position they generally aren't so effective! Did we even have Hughes playing right midfield at times, or have i imagined that? Having said all that, i don't think AM did much after leaving us either, other than one good season with Blackpool (looking at his wikipedia page)

shmmeee

Surprised they’ve gone in so quickly. Would have thought they’d milk the crowd a bit more.

Sick Boy

Great shout with Adebola. Was absolutely terrible in his first season. Had a couple of shit loans and came back unplayable. Wish Wright had his strength, absolute powerhouse
Adebola was awful that first season, I still remember seeing him managing to miss on the goal line.

Brighton Sky Blue

Surprised they’ve gone in so quickly. Would have thought they’d milk the crowd a bit more.
You could see what Robins means by ‘shy’, Simms didn’t quite know how to handle having his name sung. Equally it was a nice touch to see the players quickly run over when they saw our mascot getting their photo taken before kick off.

Esoterica

Amazing really, that if you play someone out of position they generally aren't so effective! Did we even have Hughes playing right midfield at times, or have i imagined that? Having said all that, i don't think AM did much after leaving us either, other than one good season with Blackpool (looking at his wikipedia page)
Nothing beats a square peg in a round hole like Micky Adams playing James Scowcroft at right midfield and then aiming every goal kick at him.

skybluecam

You could see what Robins means by ‘shy’, Simms didn’t quite know how to handle having his name sung. Equally it was a nice touch to see the players quickly run over when they saw our mascot getting their photo taken before kick off.
Yeah. Struck me after Simms’ second one especially, nice team move and a good finish to go 3-0 up and he seemed almost embarrassed to celebrate. Hopefully we can coax him out of his shell a bit more and that’ll help on the pitch.

Grendel

Oh god there's a trip down memory lane nobody needs 🤣. Some of the football was fucking dire over the initial Div1/Championship stint

Other than Keith osgood a centre half having a game as a centre forward

ccfc1234

In fairness to Simms, I think some fans on here who were expressing understandable concerns about Wright's abilities went OTT and put it equally and unfairly at Simms door, even though he was only getting cameo appearances.
Having watched Simms in pre season I never had doubts about his ability to find the net. Fingers crossed he can remain consistent and in turn that might just give Wright the time to settle down!

Esoterica

In fairness to Simms, I think some fans on here who were expressing understandable concerns about Wright's abilities went OTT and put it equally and unfairly at Simms door, even though he was only getting cameo appearances.
Having watched Simms in pre season I never had doubts about his ability to find the net. Fingers crossed he can remain consistent and in turn that might just give Wright the time to settle down!
I don’t think Simms is getting on the end of that 3rd goal at the start of the season or even yesterday if he hadn’t already scored. A little bit fitness, a little bit lacking confidence. Did great to be in the position he was and finish on his left foot. He should really kick on now.

Users who are viewing this thread