Steven Pressley ? (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

Sorry but he is becoming no better than that arsehole Steve Waggott regarding players, saying things like "we have made offers" and awaiting responses. As his number one goalkeeper leaves, a player who has missed one match in three years, played with and through injuries for the cause and a tremendous shot stopper, has his faults but basically a decent experienced 'keeper. Pressley doesn't know how good his replacement will be so there's another position to worry about. Sorry but I get the feeling Pressley is running with the hare and hunting with the hounds and should be far more outspoken regarding the dismantling of his squad by Waggott.

Kingokings204

Are we talking about the same Stephen Pressley?

The same man who worked a miracle last year keeping us up?
The same man who had his budget cut in half from the previous year and cut again this year?
The same man who had to endure a ground move 35 miles away to a shed to attract players?
The same man who has had his hand tied in every way possible?
The same man who shows a massive passion and desire to improve and do well for us fans?
The same man who has got us playing the most exciting football we have seen in 15 years?
The same man who has to spout what his employers tell him and has no choice in that?

Sorry but I don't agree.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Sorry but he is becoming no better than that arsehole Steve Waggott regarding players, saying things like "we have made offers" and awaiting responses. As his number one goalkeeper leaves, a player who has missed one match in three years, played with and through injuries for the cause and a tremendous shot stopper, has his faults but basically a decent experienced 'keeper. Pressley doesn't know how good his replacement will be so there's another position to worry about. Sorry but I get the feeling Pressley is running with the hare and hunting with the hounds and should be far more outspoken regarding the dismantling of his squad by Waggott.

I feel your pain RB- I'm sure we all do, players leaving is a function of the circumstance and a fact of life irrespective of circumstance- I agree Murphy, in this league, is as good as we are going to get, that said, SP voicing his displeasure at transfer wranglings is like a turkey voting for Christmas isn't it?
Ultimately Murphy was on a free transfer, out of contract, offered better terms by a club in a higher league, maybe its a battle SP feels isn't worth waging?

Covstu

You really think he is going to come out all guns blazing and slate his current employers!? Of course he isnt that stupid! Clearly he is pissed off but he is having to deal with a bad situation, if someone comes in for him he then has a decision on whether he wants out or not.

He is not going to publically slate any sale of players at this stage.

Spionkop

Kingokings, expect it to be a sad summer. It's the reality biting home. Us fans waiting for the next player to leave. Fleck, Thomas, Adams? Who could blame them.
Fans are frustrated.
As a bunch of fans we haven't done nearly enough to make life uncomfortable for Sisu and draw attention to our plight. I don't mean violence, far from it. Just mass peaceful demonstrations.
I don't agree with Rupert. But I wish Pressley would build on his comments a few weeks ago about how 'difficult it is playing at Sixfields.'
As it is, his job security isn't that high anyway.
Ultimately Pressley will be disappointed in the signings he makes. Wasn't it him that said we have a Conference budget?
Everyone, just keep the pressure on Sisu.

rupert_bear

You really think he is going to come out all guns blazing and slate his current employers!? Of course he isnt that stupid! Clearly he is pissed off but he is having to deal with a bad situation, if someone comes in for him he then has a decision on whether he wants out or not.

He is not going to publically slate any sale of players at this stage.
Yes I do to be honest. The points raised by kingo I basically agree with and should he bark publically about what Waggott has and is doing with his squad so what, no way would he be sacked and if he was he would be in another job within a fortnight. Something should be said from within the camp about this Waggott geezer who is running amok with the football squad playing the frustrated manager role, never played the game I believe but has wormed his way into to football league clubs us and Charlton and been a proven disaster at both.

Senior Vick from Alicante

I think Pressley is a principled man. He will not say in the mass media my employers are idiots and don't know what their doing, he will loose his job ultimately. He knows how far he is in the shit and is doing his best to keep it all together IMO. To an extent we will see how good an operator Waggot is now as well, budget halved, aspirational manager who wants to move the club forward and he has to deliver. He, like the rest of the playing staff IMO just get on with a thankless task that is more to do with financial politics and stadium ownership than football. Both will get pissed off with the way things are going and both will leave if better offers appear, why wouldn't you. They both know playing at the Ricoh gives them increased revenue as far as footballing is concerned their not stupid men, but actually saying that, even though we would all roundly cheer them for it, would be a betrayal of their paymasters. They both need our support because ultimately their ability to do what their employed for is the only thing keeping SS Skyblue from sinking at the moment. PUSB NOPM

Skyblueweeman

I really don't get all the panic and delusion?!

EVERY year, we see our better players leave and EVERY year, we see players come in to replace them. Murphy and Moussa were two exact players who came in to replace others. FFS...that's the world of football....the majority of clubs will see players leave and the majority of clubs will see players come in.

OK, we've not had any come in yet, but history tells us that we will bring in some players. Some will be Gems, some will be pants.

No different to every other year pre or post current owners.

WM

The Gentleman

I really don't get all the panic and delusion?!

EVERY year, we see our better players leave and EVERY year, we see players come in to replace them. Murphy and Moussa were two exact players who came in to replace others. FFS...that's the world of football....the majority of clubs will see players leave and the majority of clubs will see players come in.

OK, we've not had any come in yet, but history tells us that we will bring in some players. Some will be Gems, some will be pants.

No different to every other year pre or post current owners.

WM

I'm glad you think that the new players coming in will be gems like what we have had before. We are at our lowest ebb ever as far as I am concerned and I am not sure that is likely to tempt the Moussa's and Murphy's of the footballing world. Just to add that last seasons dealings don't fill me with confidence that we can spot decent players too.

Skyblueweeman

I'm glad you think that the new players coming in will be gems like what we have had before. We are at our lowest ebb ever as far as I am concerned and I am not sure that is likely to tempt the Moussa's and Murphy's of the footballing world. Just to add that last seasons dealings don't fill me with confidence that we can spot decent players too.

Erm...I didn't say that the players coming in will be gems did I?! Re-read my post and you'll see that I said some will be gems, some will be pants. That's the same for every club on the planet...for us, for every Joe Murphy, there's a Rafael Nusso....in Man Utds case for every Cantona, there's a Djemba Djemba.

As for our lowest ebb ever, I think this time last year was our lowest point ever...we started the season on -10...we're not starting this season on -10. We knew we were playing at Sixfields as well...didn't stop Prutton and Seabourne joining.

The Summer before (admittedly we were at the Ricoh) when we had just been relegated, we still managed to bring in Blair Adams, Leon Clarke, Franck Moussa, John Fleck and some others who weren't as good, despite relegation and impending budget cuts.

This season is no different.

WM

PS...Out of interested, looking back, we never sign players in June...always in July. I agree we should be bringing them in earlier but this year isn't and is unlikely to be different to any other summer as a Sky Blues fan. Just hopefully without another points deduction.

The Gentleman

Erm...I didn't say that the players coming in will be gems did I?! Re-read my post and you'll see that I said some will be gems, some will be pants. That's the same for every club on the planet...for us, for every Joe Murphy, there's a Rafael Nusso....in Man Utds case for every Cantona, there's a Djemba Djemba.

As for our lowest ebb ever, I think this time last year was our lowest point ever...we started the season on -10...we're not starting this season on -10. We knew we were playing at Sixfields as well...didn't stop Prutton and Seabourne joining.

The Summer before (admittedly we were at the Ricoh) when we had just been relegated, we still managed to bring in Blair Adams, Leon Clarke, Franck Moussa, John Fleck and some others who weren't as good, despite relegation and impending budget cuts.

This season is no different.

WM

PS...Out of interested, looking back, we never sign players in June...always in July. I agree we should be bringing them in earlier but this year isn't and is unlikely to be different to any other summer as a Sky Blues fan. Just hopefully without another points deduction.

Well firstly this season could be different as no embargo to hinder us. Please don't tell me that you think that Prutton and Seabourne are gems because if that is a barometer for a gem then I am even more worried than I was before. You did say that at the start of every season some go and some come in which always happen. However, I am interested to know which of last summers (or even through the season) that you thought were gems?

With regard to where we are starting points wise, I think that will be best judged in October as even Pressley admitted that the -10 was a motivating factor.

im-confused

He has made offers to couple of players, so what the hell is the man supposed to do? Lie and say that he has offered a contract to 26 new players? I think some fans want Pressley or the team to fail, just so they have something to complain about. Jeez.

The Gentleman

He has made offers to couple of players, so what the hell is the man supposed to do? Lie and say that he has offered a contract to 26 new players? I think some fans want Pressley or the team to fail, just so they have something to complain about. Jeez.

Tell us who the targets are? what positions they are in? whether they are frees or fees? Whether they are keen on a move after talking to them? We have other clubs saying who there targets are and who they are bidding on, so why can't we?

Nobody on here want CCFC to fail, Jesus we are Cov fans at the end of the day and to be honest we are used to failure rather than success but are all still here (of a fashion)

kg82

Tell us who the targets are? what positions they are in? whether they are frees or fees? Whether they are keen on a move after talking to them? We have other clubs saying who there targets are and who they are bidding on, so why can't we?

Nobody on here want CCFC to fail, Jesus we are Cov fans at the end of the day and to be honest we are used to failure rather than success but are all still here (of a fashion)

Why should we? What difference does it make till we get those players? For instance, we've come out before and said we're after such and such a player. The response, without fail, is one of 2 - why would they come here/not a chance or they must be coming for a pot noodle and a packet of pork scratchings (hardy har). So does it really make any difference whatsoever if you know now or know when/if we get that player?

The Gentleman

Why should we? What difference does it make till we get those players? For instance, we've come out before and said we're after such and such a player. The response, without fail, is one of 2 - why would they come here/not a chance or they must be coming for a pot noodle and a packet of pork scratchings (hardy har). So does it really make any difference whatsoever if you know now or know when/if we get that player?

I'd like to know who our targets are, where is your problem with that. I am sure others would too and to be honest it would also show if it is bullshit.

kg82

I'd like to know who our targets are, where is your problem with that. I am sure others would too and to be honest it would also show if it is bullshit.

Oh well, then he should obviously come out and tell us everything. But because he hasn't, that means he's what?? Treacherous, crap, hitler?

im-confused

It's okay for a club like Real Madrid to say that they want Suarez, because chances are no other club will offer £70m or whatever it is for him.
We announce who we are interested in and all of a sudden you get other clubs sniffing around and scouting the players.
Why do you think none of these championship clubs have come out with a statement that they want to sign Callum Wilson? The clubs have been revealed through other sources rather than the managers stating through the media that they are going to try to sign him.
Overall, doesn't it make it that much more exciting when we sign a player by surprise that you hadn't previously heard was linked with us? On top of that, it's just how football works.

skybluelee

Are we talking about the same Stephen Pressley?

The same man who worked a miracle last year keeping us up?
The same man who had his budget cut in half from the previous year and cut again this year?
The same man who had to endure a ground move 35 miles away to a shed to attract players?
The same man who has had his hand tied in every way possible?
The same man who shows a massive passion and desire to improve and do well for us fans?
The same man who has got us playing the most exciting football we have seen in 15 years?
The same man who has to spout what his employers tell him and has no choice in that?

Sorry but I don't agree.

The same man that oversaw his side pick up 23 points from their last 24 games last season.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Oh well, then he should obviously come out and tell us everything. But because he hasn't, that means he's what?? Treacherous, crap, hitler?
If Pressley had given names on our targets we'd have the same people asking why are we naming our targets, it would probably be Waggot and Fisher's fault. Deliberately naming our targets to ensure other clubs get interested and we don't sign them.

Some people just love creating something out of nothing

torchomatic

You seem so confident in your own argument, so why don't you enlighten us?

Tell us who the targets are? what positions they are in? whether they are frees or fees? Whether they are keen on a move after talking to them?

SkyBlueSid

I don't blame SP but I do believe if Sisu don't back him at some point he will be off at the first opportunity.

Exactly this. I don't see how they will back him though. I have thought for a long time that, once a decent club with a bit of ambition and a few quid to back it up comes looking for a manager, he will be off like a shot and without a backward glance. He may not be a Guardiola, but he's got a bit about him and a Championship club will likely give him a shot. Even if he starts the season, the sacking starts about 7-8 games in and opportunities arise.

shmmeee

Pressley is here because he agrees with Sisus strategy. He won't leave any time soon. Never understood the martyr status put on him, he had a similar situation at Falkirk. He's not about to leave because he can't spend millions.

SkyBlueSid

So if a half-decent club like the cut of his jib and offer him a deal with twice the salary and money to spend on players, he will turn it down to continue managing a basket-case club? Er, right....

Grendel

Exactly this. I don't see how they will back him though. I have thought for a long time that, once a decent club with a bit of ambition and a few quid to back it up comes looking for a manager, he will be off like a shot and without a backward glance. He may not be a Guardiola, but he's got a bit about him and a Championship club will likely give him a shot. Even if he starts the season, the sacking starts about 7-8 games in and opportunities arise.

Can't see many In league one interested let alone the championship.

Monners

Pressley wants to succeed as a manager in the English game. If he can demonstrate that he can get his teams playing competitive and attractive football in difficult of the field circumstances, then he looks a good bet to a more stable club (no diffuclut to find) higher up the league. Nothing wrong in this at all. he is under pressure obviously, as a relegation would be deemed failure on his part. All very obvious comments I suppose.

Skyblueweeman

Well firstly this season could be different as no embargo to hinder us. Please don't tell me that you think that Prutton and Seabourne are gems because if that is a barometer for a gem then I am even more worried than I was before. You did say that at the start of every season some go and some come in which always happen. However, I am interested to know which of last summers (or even through the season) that you thought were gems?

With regard to where we are starting points wise, I think that will be best judged in October as even Pressley admitted that the -10 was a motivating factor.

Hate to tell you this...but I didn't say Prutton or Seabourne were gems. If you want me to expand my logic further, you can have a crap summer when you sign dross. You can then have a good summer when you make some great signings. It doesn't matter whether you like a one month in isolation, one summer in isolation or 6 transfer windows...the fact remains that teams will sign good players and they will sign bad players. Last summer wasn't a great one but the summer before was much better.

Off course a -10 is a motivating factor...it gives the players a chance to stick 2 fingers up to the establishment....'cheers for the points deduction...we've seen that off in xx games'. The fact that we're not in a similar position to me means that we're not as low as we were last year. Fact??

As for wanting to know who our targets are...so do I. But why does SP/SW have to tell us who they are? What difference are you or I going to make to the transfer. If they're going to go and look for the next 20 goals a season striker like Clarke or the next regular Keeper like Murphy or the next skillful goal-scoring midfielder like Moussa (all who've come in the last 3 summers transfer windows) then I'm glad they're not promoting these targets incase it puts another club onto the scent. As he's said, there's others already on these players trails...why increase that and subsequently decrease our chances of signing them.

As some have commented on this and other threads, I seriously wonder if people just wake up and think of how they can whinge about CCFC related items today.

The only thing that's different from this summer to last, is that we don't have a -10 point deduction. History has told us that we ALWAYS bring players in in July. Stop getting your frillies in a twist.

WM

shmmeee

So if a half-decent club like the cut of his jib and offer him a deal with twice the salary and money to spend on players, he will turn it down to continue managing a basket-case club? Er, right....

Twice the salary maybe, but he couldn't have been more blatant in both his public statements and his actions here and at Falkirk that he doesn't agree with clubs spending for success. He's all about young players.

If he is going to leave for a better wage, there's not a lot we can do.

Be pissed off that we havent broken the habit of Sisus lifetime and signed players in June, but it's got no impact on SP IMO.

Malaka

Wow there are so many bi-linguists who speak English and total bollocks fluently and the tri-linguists who can add shite to their repertoire. FFS we are a third division club who play in a shit hole with no fans to watch them at home and no hope of achieving anything. How we can attract quality is beyond me, but I live in hope that we find another Moussa or Clarke and that they are desperate enough for a chance and will do us and themselves a favour before moving on if they are anygood.
We have always been a selling club as are most clubs. At the moment we are not a big fish in a little pond, which would have appealled to players at the end of their careers I'm thinking Dennis Wise, Tim Sherwood that will only happen when we get back home or have another home.
Waggott and Pressley have a really difficult job trying to sell Coventry City and getting players to play for peanuts due to the fair play criteria.

Whilst I respect those of you who choose not to go to Sixfields, all we are doing is making SISU load more debt onto the club and a club that is worth nothing continues to become more and more expensive to potential buyers because one thing we can be pretty certain of, SISU will not leave without recouping their loses. And the only way that they can do that is get the Ricoh for nothing or move us and start again, which would take years. And as a result we will continue to get players who aint up to it or if they are will leave at the earliest opportunity or sign for Yeovil instead.

And by the way I do speak Total Bollocks, Shite, English and Greek fluently.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Skyblueweeman; said:
If you want me to expand my logic further, you can have a crap summer when you sign dross. You can then have a good summer when you make some great signings. It doesn't matter whether you like a one month in isolation, one summer in isolation or 6 transfer windows...the fact remains that teams will sign good players and they will sign bad players. Last summer wasn't a great one but the summer before was much better.

Did you just defend Thorns transfer record? Prepare for incoming Grendel.

As for wanting to know who our targets are...so do I. But why does SP/SW have to tell us who they are? What difference are you or I going to make to the transfer. If they're going to go and look for the next 20 goals a season striker like Clarke or the next regular Keeper like Murphy or the next skillful goal-scoring midfielder like Moussa (all who've come in the last 3 summers transfer windows)

Clarke came in January.

Users who are viewing this thread