Steven Pressley: There's not enough hurt after defeat (1 Viewer)

Sub

Coventry City boss Steven Pressley: There's not enough hurt after defeat

Sky Blues manager says too many players in his squad don't seem too bothered after losing matches

Brentford-v-Coventry-2-6867174.jpg

Steven Pressley watches the defeat at Brentford
Coventry City manager Steven Pressley has questioned the commitment of his loan signings and the players whose contracts expire in the summer.
It follows the defeat at Brentford on Saturdaywhen the boss appeared to have some harsh words for on-loan Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom.

Akpom, who replaced Aston Villa asset Nathan Delfouneso in the second half at Griffin Park, used Twitter yesterdayto say he was “back home” and “gonna miss” Sky Blues full-back Cyrus Christie.
He later added: “You don't have to enjoy something to gain from it.”
Pressley has never been a fan of the loan system and admitted recently that he was becoming increasingly frustrated by the fact that Akpom’s regular absencesto play for the Gunners youth team meant that he was finding it difficult to adapt to City’s 4-4-2 style.

But he is clearly dissatisfied with other players, saying: “Losing games should ruin your weekend and I want to see more hurt in the dressing room after we’ve lost.
“It’s hurting me, it’s hurting my staff and I know it’s hurting certain players, but perhaps not enough – I haven’t seen that disappointment in everybody.

“I don’t think it means enough to all of them; I think we have a slight problem in respect of loan players and certain players that are coming towards the end of their contracts.
“At the end of the day they return to their clubs or leave the team at the end of the season and it’s not their concern because it doesn’t affect them moving forward. But for me and the fans it’s a huge concern and I have to make sure we’ve people here with the right attitude.

pressley-akpom-6868682.jpg
Steven Pressley has strong words for Chuba Akpom at Brentford “We’ve explained the work ethic that’s expected and I don’t think that everybody has bought into that – I don’t think their minds are really at it just now and that’s a concern of mine.
“They need to start showing that it does affect them; I have to see more from them because, there’s no doubt about it, we need to toughen up.

“We’re fighting a battle here and I’ll select players who will go out there with that level of commitment.”
Having taken the lead with an early Callum Wilson strike, Coventry stunned the promotion-playing Bees with a brilliant penalty save by Joe Murphy who, along with Christie, Franck Moussa and Mark Marshall becomes a free agent at the end of the season.
“We had a warning and Joe made an incredible save but we didn’t learn from that and conceded a soft goal,” said Pressley.

“At the start of the second half they broke from a corner and we had a three on three situation which normally I’m happy with but again we didn’t defend the situation properly and we found ourselves with a mountain to climb.
“We played some terrific football in the first half but we’re not winning enough tackles, and that has to improve – we have to go in there with a real intent.
“We must improve that, show a greater degree of physicality. We’re working hard, getting some good possession, but if you don’t win your tackles at key moments then you lose goals.
“We’re playing a lot of good football but that’s not enough to win games – you have to do the dirty side as well. We need to be more aggressive, more determined in the tackle, and on too many occasions we didn’t show that.”

Brentford-v-Coventry-3-6867175.jpg
View gallery

• Brentford-v-Coventry-3-6867175.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-5-6867177.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-4-6867176.jpg
    "
  • pressley-akpom-6868682.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-8-6867162.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-9-6867163.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-10-6867164.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-11-6867165.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-13-6867167.jpg
    "
  • Brentford-v-Coventry-15-6867169.jpg
    "

Brentford 3 Coventry City 1
View gallery

torchomatic

torchomatic

As I've said Akpom was skillfull enough but there wasn't an end product.

Paxman II

Sounds like he's getting frustrated with certain individuals and their attitude. This is where it gets a test of a managers ability to manage players. As the season tails off from dizzy heights and prospects off the field continue to frustrate with so much uncertainty players no longer see what they are fighting for. For professionals that may be the wrong attitude but we all have bad periods and for some contracts are an issue. Maybe some know they have little chance of renewal? The disruption caused by the loss of Clarke and then Callum's injury has been evident. A manager has to find a way to deal with that.

The Gentleman

As I've said Akpom was skillfull enough but there wasn't an end product.

Why sign him on loan then? is it not the job of the club to identify who would fit into our way of thinking/playing? Once the club identify and then sign said player, is it not the job of the manager/coaching staff to get the best out of said player? For me it is happening to much with our recent signings/loans who are turning out to be, well quite frankly shit for us. Was Akpom not going back and scoring for Arsenal?

Before anyone starts having at go at me for questioning Pressley, I think he is doing a good job in general but he needs to improve in areas where we have been lacking all season and they do not seem to be getting addressed. If they are looking and working on the defence then questions need to be asked about players being signed, coaching and attitude of not just the players but everyone involved.

Brighton Sky Blue

Why have we allowed the few senior players we have to have their contracts run down? What the hell are we even doing off the field?

The Gentleman

Why have we allowed the few senior players we have to have their contracts run down? What the hell are we even doing off the field?

Ask the ones who claimed that Waggot is doing a great job. Anyone involved either directly or indirectly (Labovitch) have proved just how inept they are at running a football club both with the day to day upto the stadium fiasco.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ask the ones who claimed that Waggot is doing a great job. Anyone involved either directly or indirectly (Labovitch) have proved just how inept they are at running a football club both with the day to day upto the stadium fiasco.

The likes of Murphy and Moussa can now quite happily talk to other clubs and agree deals before the season's up. Murphy seems to be keeping his performances up but the other folk with expiring contracts may well be close to clinching moves elsewhere.

It seems like the people in charge are doing whatever they can to weaken the club.

jimmyhillsfanclub

This summer we will be shopping from the conference?

Nowt wrong with that.....some good players in the lower leagues just waiting for a chance to be discovered....

just think along the lines of Stuart Pearce, Ian Wright etc.

skybluesam66

Budgets + FIFA Fair Play Rules!
Perhaps we can't afford them?

and why us that - oh yes - well done sisu

you had an asset which if you wanted you could have bought 50% of the ricoh for 6m and had a top half championship team
now - with 30m additional losses - they own nothing but the name of a team who are close to division 4 - with the customer base down 90%

you couldnt make it up

ccfcway

to be fair to Pressley, a defeat used to ruin my weekend as well. Why should the players care when they probably don't think the people who pay them do ?

Moff

It seems like the people in charge are doing whatever they can to weaken the club.

Depressingly weakening the club seems to be what comes naturally too them, and forever leaves me wondering how such useless f**kturds can ever make money through their shitty hedge fund.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

to be fair to Pressley, a defeat used to ruin my weekend as well. Why should the players care when they probably don't think the people who pay them do ?

They're being paid decent money to do a job-it doesn't matter what the line of work is, professional pride should count for something.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Professional pride.
Personal achievement.
Integrity.
Career enhancement.
etc. etc.

Brighton Sky Blue

Depressingly weakening the club seems to be what comes naturally too them, and forever leaves me wondering how such useless f**kturds can ever make money through their shitty hedge fund.

Looks like Fisher, Labovitch and Waggott just spend their time playing catch in the Ryton offices. When Pressley asks for a recommendation Waggott sneezes and Pressley has to sign the player with the closest sounding name, if our import from Arsenal is anything to go by.

Moff

Looks like Fisher, Labovitch and Waggott just spend their time playing catch in the Ryton offices. When Pressley asks for a recommendation Waggott sneezes and Pressley has to sign the player with the closest sounding name, if our import from Arsenal is anything to go by.

Hmm you could be right. I like to think Fisher and Labovitch advise Waggott on who he should buy or bring in based on them learning to spell with Alphabetti Spaghetti, and making names with the letters they spoon out.

How they laughed when the letter T W A and T came up and they realised it spelt Fisher.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Hmm you could be right. I like to think Fisher and Labovitch advise Waggott on who he should buy or bring in based on them learning to spell with Alphabetti Spaghetti, and making names with the letters they spoon out.

How they laughed when the letter T W A and T came up and they realised it spelt Fisher.

In all seriousness, they must be doing absolutely sod all football related in those offices. Lots of time to sue charities and initiate judicial reviews but no time to tie important players down to contracts. Unless Pressley genuinely doesn't want to retain the 3 Ms, in which case I stand corrected.

ccfcway

In all seriousness, they must be doing absolutely sod all football related in those offices. Lots of time to sue charities and initiate judicial reviews but no time to tie important players down to contracts. Unless Pressley genuinely doesn't want to retain the 3 Ms, in which case I stand corrected.

Moussa, Murphy, ??????

Moff

I honestly dont think they give a damn, and have offered some pittance to them in the knowledge they can go elsewhere and earn more, with a better all round contract, playing for a better placed team, with better footballing prospects, and less chance of going bust in the future years. Its a no brainer for the players.

We are such a car crash of a club I seriously wonder who we would look attractive to, to come and sign and play for us.

Brighton Sky Blue

I honestly dont think they give a damn, and have offered some pittance to them in the knowledge they can go elsewhere and earn more, with a better all round contract, playing for a better placed team, with better footballing prospects, and less chance of going bust in the future years. Its a no brainer for the players.

We are such a car crash of a club I seriously wonder who we would look attractive to, to come and sign and play for us.

It is so flipping easy to get promoted from League 1 if your club is managed with any vague semblance of competency. That we would still be in the top 10, but for the deduction, is testament to how poor the division is which makes this all the more frustrating.

will am i

Budgets + FIFA Fair Play Rules!
Perhaps we can't afford them?
I expect that will be my fault and the fault of like minded people who wont go to Sixfields (bet that will be what Tim claims eventually) Still told him I wouldnt go and I dont posture either

Users who are viewing this thread