Statues of George and John (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Jimmys statue cost £350k

If we wanted to do something similar for George and John that’s a lot of money and probably requires a planning and fundraising group

If the club and owners and the owner of wasps were all for it how would be go about raising money to progress this?

Am I correct in assuming that 100%of the fanbase think the Jimmy Hill statue is great and that George and John deserve similar?

Was anyone involved in the Jimmy one?!

Obviously it would start with a supporters wide discussion and reach out to the families but just asking my fellow fans their thoughts before embarking on too many conversations

COV

Jimmys statue cost £350k

If we wanted to do something similar for George and John that’s a lot of money and probably requires a planning and fundraising group

If the club and owners and the owner of wasps were all for it how would be go about raising money to progress this?

Am I correct in assuming that 100%of the fanbase think the Jimmy Hill statue is great and that George and John deserve similar?

Obviously it would start with a supporters wide discussion and reach out to the families but just asking my fellow fans their thoughts before embarking on too many conversations

£350k, really?

Bugsy

Jimmys statue cost £350k

I would be willing to donate and especially the one you came up with aswell, think that one resembles more of the 2 legends....PUSB

no_loyalty

Jimmys statue cost £350k

It cost about £100,000 according to this article.

Evo1883

Jimmys statue cost £350k

It should be in the city centre really , as I doubt wasps would allow us another around the stadium

NorthernWisdom

The problem is the practical issues around ownership and instability
It should be in the city centre really , as I doubt wasps would allow us another around the stadium
Yup. Forgetting whether Wasps would or not, we don't even know where we'll be in nine and a half years' time, so at least the city centre would be a relatively stable place for it to live.

I would say the site of Highfield Road, but not sure I'd wish that on my worst enemy as it stands...

Nick

Administrator
Yup. Forgetting whether Wasps would or not, we don't even know where we'll be in nine and a half years' time, so at least the city centre would be a relatively stable place for it to live.

I would say the site of Highfield Road, but not sure I'd wish that on my worst enemy as it stands...

Didn't the plaque get stolen or did I imagine that?

Sky Blue Pete

Forget the cost. If I’ve been badly advised by someone who knows much more than me then sorry but it’s still a significant sum of money

It’s gonna be at least £100k so it’s gonna take a significant organisation effort.

I think next to Jimmy would be possible but how would people feel about that or would it be better in the city centre in Broadgate somewhere?

I will raise with Colin, chair of the supporters forum.

Does anyone know who was behind the Jimmy one?
Does anyone want to be involved?

Sky Blue Pete

And as the article says we’ve done it before so we can do it again I’m sure

The cost of the statue was met by fans through a campaign of fundraising appeals. A day of activities has been planned for the statue unveiling at the Ricoh Arena on Thursday, 28 July.

pusbccfc

The Jimmy Hill statue is fantastic when compared to some other poorly designed ones.

£100k is a lot but clearly doable. I'd love to see it in Coventry City centre.

David O'Day

Jimmys statue cost £350k

They'd look lovely at the new stadium ;)

Johnnythespider

I'm wondering whether there could be a cheaper but effective option in having a bronzed 3D pressing of them both with the cup up on the outside walls, this could also be easily moved if the club should ever move to a new stadium. Just a thought if the funds required for a statue are prohibitive.

covboy1987

Jimmys statue cost £350k

Jimmy Hill statue: Final touches for Coventry unveiling - BBC News
A seven-foot bronze statue of Jimmy Hill, costing about £100000, ... The cost of the statue was met by fans through a campaign of fundraising appeals.

oldfiver

Jimmy Hill statue: Final touches for Coventry unveiling - BBC News
A seven-foot bronze statue of Jimmy Hill, costing about £100000, ... The cost of the statue was met by fans through a campaign of fundraising appeals.

Statue
Sculptor Nicholas Dimbleby was commissioned to build a statue of Hill at a cost of £150,000. The statue is located at Coventry's Ricoh Arena ground and was unveiled by Hill in person on 28 July 2011. The money to build the statue was raised from public donations. Other former Coventry City players from Hill's six-year term as manager were there for the unveiling ceremony, including Bobby Gould, John Sillett and George Curtis, all of whom went on to manage the club in the 1980s.

That was over 10 years ago - I think double that will not be far off come next year

oldfiver

Statue
Sculptor Nicholas Dimbleby was commissioned to build a statue of Hill at a cost of £150,000. The statue is located at Coventry's Ricoh Arena ground and was unveiled by Hill in person on 28 July 2011. The money to build the statue was raised from public donations. Other former Coventry City players from Hill's six-year term as manager were there for the unveiling ceremony, including Bobby Gould, John Sillett and George Curtis, all of whom went on to manage the club in the 1980s.

That was over 10 years ago - I think double that will not be far off come next year

COVENTRY City fans are being urged to dig deep to raise the remaining money needed for a statue of legendary former manager Jimmy Hill.

The £150,000 appeal for the seven-foot bronze tribute outside the Ricoh Arena is now just £8,000 short of its target.

Sculptor Nicholas Dimbleby has already sketched several designs for the statue, which has received widespread support from former stars of the game, including Alan Hansen and Bob Wilson.

Coventry City director Joe Elliott said: “If there is any company or business who would like to donate to help us reach our target, they could have their name put on the plinth.”

no_loyalty

Something like this with them both holding the cup up together would be perfect.

Problem is where to put it, the arena isn't ours and the point is lost if it's away from the actual football.

View attachment 22944

Good point 👍🏻 we also can’t forget we would also need to leave some space for the Mark Robins statue 😉

ccfcchris

Would love to see a statue of John and George but my concern is if it's placed next to Jimmy Hills statue it wouldn't have the impact it deserves. Unsure as to where it should be but just my initial thoughts.

shmmeee

Would love to see a statue of John and George but my concern is if it's placed next to Jimmy Hills statue it wouldn't have the impact it deserves. Unsure as to where it should be but just my initial thoughts.

Could stick it round the other side by the memorial garden.

I like the city centre idea. What about near the library or Shelton Square? Or outside the old IKEA. Loads of places it could go.

covboy1987

Could stick it round the other side by the memorial garden.

I like the city centre idea. What about near the library or Shelton Square? Or outside the old IKEA. Loads of places it could go.
Otside the transport museum in that massive paved area

Attachments

• George & John.jpg
    George & John.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread