Starting XI Now (5 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

No one hates him.

He does give 100% and despite being against his natural game tries to provide defensive cover when required.

I'm just not seeing any real strengths. He doesn't drive forwards from midfield often, has a poor pass ratio and scores no goals.

The notion he is "quality" is nonsense. If he was he would have been signed by a higher club when his contract expired.

Have you got your own blog? No?

Fleck plays a good sweeping pass every 3 games I'll have you know

CCFC_Charlie

On the whole Fleck debate, Mowbray clearly rates him very highly and I trust Mowbray to push him a lot more than Pressley did. I know there are a lot of people who want to see us replace him, or would rather we played O'Brien in the centre but I'll be interested to see how Mowbray uses him this season. It's clear to anyone that watched us play over the last season and a half that Fleck has been a bit shackled into a defensive position that doesn't really suit him, but with the addition of an actually defensive midfielder in Vincelot we might actually get to see a bit more freedom from Fleck. He's clearly a talented footballer, but he's been pretty poorly utilised and he could do with working on some of the more simpler aspects of the game. Hopefully Mowbray and his coaching team will be able to drill that into him and fulfill some of the promise he had when he came in. It's a make or break season for a lot of the members of our squad, but probably the most so for Fleck. Just like any player in a Coventry City shirt, I really want to see him succeed.

rupert_bear

A thing missing in this John Fleck debate is in the three years he has been here he has played with well over a score of different players, 4 different managers including TM and has had to adapt to these managers way of playing, all different. He has to play Mowbrays way now which will be interesting, Fleck deserves a break imo and i think he may surprise some on here.

ccfcway

Are we not just one decent striker signing (in the next week or so) off being able to at least give it a good go at the start of the season before TM gets his loans in ?

------------------Burge------------------
Philips---Ricketts----Johnson----Stokes
JOB----Vincelot----Fleck------Swanson
----------------Maddison-----------------
---------Tudgay--------------------------

Subs: Cook, Haynes, Martin, C.Thomas, Lawton, G.Thomas, Willis, Lameiras (TBC)

oakey

Are we not just one decent striker signing (in the next week or so) off being able to at least give it a good go at the start of the season before TM gets his loans in ?

Subs: Cook, Haynes, Martin, C.Thomas, Lawton, G.Thomas, Willis, Lameiras (TBC)

Sorry, that team is worse than the one that nearly got relegated. Minimum of 4 players need replacing and the bench is nightmarish.

tom88

Sorry, that team is worse than the one that nearly got relegated. Minimum of 4 players need replacing and the bench is nightmarish

Its only weaker up front. The midfield and defence is far more sturdier.

steveecov

If TM does nothing else, he should MAKE the players watch videos of City in the 60s 70s and 80s to show them what we are all about. We fought adversity most seasons; but when push came to shove we could get results. Passengers were not tolerated for long. More of the same please.

oakey

The 4 players I would bench from that line up are Phillips, Stokes, Swanson and Maddison. All should be pushing 4 new men for a start. Ideally Tudgay, Burge and Johnson would not be automatic choices either.
A long way to go before we will be competitive IMO, half a team in fact.

ccfcway

The 4 players I would bench from that line up are Phillips, Stokes, Swanson and Maddison. All should be pushing 4 new men for a start. Ideally Tudgay, Burge and Johnson would not be automatic choices either.
A long way to go before we will be competitive IMO, half a team in fact.

I'd be interested to know what Fleck and JOB have done for them to be deemed automatic choices in your team assessment.

oakey

I'd be interested to know what Fleck and JOB have done for them to be deemed automatic choices in your team assessment.

Good point. However, they are not going to be replaced unless TM is after 8 or 9 new players which seems unlikely.

ccfcway

Of course it is worse. Defence and midfield no stronger and attack weaker.
Ricketts for Pennington? Ward and Barton replaced by Vincelot and Swanson = looks no better to me but hope to be proven wrong.

the manager is stronger.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Of course it is worse. Defence and midfield no stronger and attack weaker.
Ricketts for Pennington? Ward and Barton replaced by Vincelot and Swanson = looks no better to me but hope to be proven wrong.

Johnson will be like a new signing and we will have Stokes for the whole season not just a quarter of it, Ward played about 8 games so was hardly integral to the squad over last season. I'd much rather have Vincelot for the whole season than Ward for 2 months like last season. So yea it looks stronger in defence and midfield. Goalkeeper looks weaker though as I don't think Burge is as good as Allsop or Jones and upfront is weaker.

dongonzalos

Not looking too bad now.

Burge GK
Willis RB
Stokes LB
Reda CB
Ricketts CB
Vincelot DCM
Fleck ACM
Swanson LM
JOB RM
Madison ST/iN THE hOLE
Tudguy ST

Subs: Cook, Phillips, Haynes, Martin, C.Thomas, Lawton, G.Thomas

Need to boost midfield cover and striking options now but coming along nicely....beginning
to feel optimistic dare I say it. Defensively think we have enough but would not mind a goalie

If we had to play the first game with current squad I would have Willis as well at CB
Then have Haynes and Phillips as Attacking Wing backs

Then

Vince providing protection
Fleck and JOB in front of him

Then Maddison behind Tudguy.

SkyBlue_Bear83

No massive surprise, it's much more more difficult to get quality attacking players than it is to get quality defensive players. It also costs more money which is why the loan market is so important in the lower divisions as it allows you to get quality players within budget, I think we will probably only get one permanent striker and the rest will be loans.

Its a difficult situation for Mowbray as I suspect the players he wants he hasn't been given a definitive answer on whether they will be available, i.e Pennington and Samuel. He probably hasn't been given a straight answer on if they will be available for loan again. So does he hold back some of the budget in the hope they become available, or does he go out and use the money to get other players in now who probably aren't as good as Pennington and Samuel.

Chipfat

No massive surprise, it's much more more difficult to get quality attacking players than it is to get quality defensive players. It also costs more money which is why the loan market is so important in the lower divisions as it allows you to get quality players within budget, I think we will probably only get one permanent striker and the rest will be loans.

Its a difficult situation for Mowbray as I suspect the players he wants he hasn't been given a definitive answer on whether they will be available, i.e Pennington and Samuel. He probably hasn't been given a straight answer on if they will be available for loan again. So does he hold back some of the budget in the hope they become available, or does he go out and use the money to get other players in now who probably aren't as good as Pennington and Samuel.

I think Pennington and Samuel are perfect at showing how the loan system is supposed to work,, parent clubs will take these back sign them longer deals and make them push up a level or into the first team sqaud.. For the loaning club its back to the drawing board and try to bring in players you hope will perform,, TM said it months agao you cant as a club keep swaping and changing the sqaud every year.. You have to build foundations to enable you to progress,,so loans will play a big part some will pay off and some will not as for who is as good as Pennigton and Samuel,, you never will know until you bring them into the fold,, so like a previous post of mine,, sooner or later you have to gamble...

I mean before Pennigton and Samuel arrived none of us knew them or thought highly of them, now we would welcome them back in with open arms..

ccfcway

Subs: Cook, Haynes, Martin, C.Thomas, Lawton, G.Thomas, Willis, Lameiras

johnwillomagic

8 Subs CCFC is that allowed ....trying to sneak snother one in eh?? ;)

Just goes to show you our squad is not that thin in terms of numbers as there are a few youngsters signed on contracts
too not listed in this 19!!

SkyBlue_Bear83

What is it with people gloating about how poor pre season has been? When we win next week I'm gonna bump up every thread from the last 3 months and rub it in all your negative faces.

ccfcway

What is it with people gloating about how poor pre season has been? When we win next week I'm gonna bump up every thread from the last 3 months and rub it in all your negative faces.

I don't get all of the doom and gloom today.

Pre season over now, time to work towards the Wigan game

oakey

Team not strong enough, yet.
squad not strong enough, yet.
No gloating, just realism. Not doom and gloom, just acceptance that we are no further forward, YET. We need a lot more to be competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread