Stadium (1 Viewer)

pipkin73

Oh the last day at HR was one of the best days of my life, once in a lifetime, I won’t start on about that or I’ll be here all night, but I agree with you on that.

I do however say that the Ricoh was the right thing to do, but the whole thing was utterly mismanaged.
All i can say was that at HR i enjoyed the atmosphere at the games more than i have ever done at the Ricoh. Yes, for a big game with 25-30,000 the Ricoh rocks, but that has never been CCFC. The dam thing should have never been built. Yes, in the 80's crouds were down, but they were everyehere, CCFC have always been 20-25-000 tops, a shame due to the size of the city. We should (due to City size do the Ricoh full every game, but it's students who make the City so big and affordable not locals.

pipkin73

All i can say was that at HR i enjoyed the atmosphere at the games more than i have ever done at the Ricoh. Yes, for a big game with 25-30,000 the Ricoh rocks, but that has never been CCFC. The dam thing should have never been built. Yes, in the 80's crouds were down, but they were everyehere, CCFC have always been 20-25-000 tops, a shame due to the size of the city. We should (due to City size do the Ricoh full every game, but it's students who make the City so big and affordable not locals.
RIP HR, we will never forget you.

Ring Of Steel

That’s actually not true. And if you want to attract students I’d suggest you have to have something worth watching.

And even if it was true- Stoke, Derby, Southampton and plenty more had similar or lower crowds than us, now they’re way way higher. You can’t say we will never get more than 20k based on the past, evidence all around shows it’s not true- give this club some success and there is no way we’d be getting any less than, say, Southampton.

Ring Of Steel

We have had Cov/Warwick Uni for years, are you saying top flight football was not worth watching?
You just said yourself crowds were down everywhere, what does that have to do with it.
Different time, different era. Put us back in the premier league now and we’d be getting 30,000 regularly, there is absolutely no doubt about it. Or are you saying clubs like Stoke and Southampton etc are giants compared to us? When you never have anything to get behind apart from relegation battles and then go through the worst few years almost in living memory, and still are able to produce the kind of support we can- that tells you that there is enormous potential waiting to be unleashed, not that we are some kind of minnow.

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

Are you also saying the brand of football we play now is not worth watching
I think you’re getting pretty mixed up. We don’t even play in the city, are you suggesting we bus loads of students into Birmingham?

I don’t know what point you’re making apart from the usual “we are a tiny club and we only need a tiny ground and we have tiny support and Highfield Road was heaven on earth”, none of that is true.

pipkin73

Don't ask me figures, but i will say this. Cov was full of industrial workers for many years and they loved going to the game, the ground was to small for us.
Then the trouble happened and our supporters never went that way and kicked off (glad we are not like Milwall, Leeds, Cardiff, Yeovil at that level etc....
All we had was reduced attendances due to the chance of trouble. Then we won the FA Cup, EUROPE for CCFC, er no a ban on it. That knocked our finances back, as if we qualified we could have made some good money for the day.
We have been an unlucky club for many years, yet we keep going and we will do well one day again. CCFC for life, CCC students for anything and lets move the football club away so they don¡t support them.

Ring Of Steel

Don't ask me figures, but i will say this. Cov was full of industrial workers for many years and they loved going to the game, the ground was to small for us.
Then the trouble happened and our supporters never went that way and kicked off (glad we are not like Milwall, Leeds, Cardiff, Yeovil at that level etc....
All we had was reduced attendances due to the chance of trouble. Then we won the FA Cup, EUROPE for CCFC, er no a ban on it. That knocked our finances back, as if we qualified we could have made some good money for the day.
We have been an unlucky club for many years, yet we keep going and we will do well one day again. CCFC for life, CCC students for anything and ets move the football club away so they don¡t support them.
Fair enough on all of that, you’re right- but that support is still there, we have tap into it. Wouldn’t you say the recession of the early 80s was another huge factor in the early 80s decline though?

pipkin73

Fair enough on all of that, you’re right- but that support is still there, we have tap into it. Wouldn’t you say the recession of the early 80s was another huge factor in the early 80s decline though?
Who cares, we are where we are not, CCC, no new homes available but here are more student ones etc, We have/are becoming a student city due to the council. Student everything in the city, well all these students have there own team. This is destroying the football club. Students with no tie in to the city but everything new built is for them. The council has gone university 100%, locals plus local jobs fuck off unless a student can't put it right. We are not Cambrige/ Oxford/ etc, we ARE COVENTRY and proud. WAKE up council BEFORE WE REVOLT, Cov before students, woodend getting finance to help before students etc.... look after the locals, we MIGHT then look after you.

Liquid Gold

Apart from the bit by the road the ricoh looks absolutely terrible from the outside. When I first went up I thought it was yet to be finished, couldn't believe they weren't going to put panelling up or something.

Ring Of Steel

Who cares, we are where we are not, CCC, no new homes available but here are more student ones etc, We have/are becoming a student city due to the council. Student everything in the city, well all these students have there own team. This is destroying the football club. Students with no tie in to the city but everything new built is for them. The council has gone university 100%, locals plus local jobs fuck off unless a student can't put it right. We are not Cambrige/ Oxford/ etc, we ARE COVENTRY and proud. WAKE up council BEFORE WE REVOLT, Cov before students, woodend getting finance to help before students etc.... look after the locals, we MIGHT then look after you.
Yeah well we’ll leave it there I think, we will agree to disagree- you need to go and speak to the council. From what I can see having lots of students is a brilliant thing. The city centre used to be a dead zone, students will change that. And I know wood end well, I spent chunks of my youth on Deedmore Road, just down from the Live and Let Live.

pipkin73

You say i'm right in all that, are you going to try and get people to come to Cov games now, or is that just a you're right BUT comment

pipkin73

NO I WOULD NOT, due to it more people wanted to go but could not afford it

pipkin73

Yeah well we’ll leave it there I think, we will agree to disagree- you need to go and speak to the council. From what I can see having lots of students is a brilliant thing. The city centre used to be a dead zone, students will change that. And I know wood end well, I spent chunks of my youth on Deedmore Road, just down from the Live and Let Live.
People still don't want to go to the city centre (unless a student). Read the CT and it's all complaints as nothing but university/students etc.
People want homes for coventry people, not just students. I also know woodend well that is why i brought it up, my brother in law comes from their and also my best friend who comes over here to check on me every few months after my Mrs died. Bad area, lot's of good people (don't you dare say less).

pipkin73

Most of my friends back in Cov, don't want to go back to the "where you know them from". Go in to the City Centre at night and it's all students, every new place build is students. People like me (46 years old) want to be able to go back to the city centre for a night out, we can't it's all student. Who owns the city, students or the people born here.

Ring Of Steel

Most of my friends back in Cov, don't want to go back to the "where you know them from". Go in to the City Centre at night and it's all students, every new place build is students. People like me (46 years old) want to be able to go back to the city centre for a night out, we can't it's all student. Who owns the city, students or the people born here.
You do realise that you aren’t banned from going into a place that has students in it?

I got banned from the Coventrians facebook page for rowing about this, the anti student sentiment, which is crazy.

pipkin73

CCC give me a list of places for us over 40's to go in Coventry, we don't want student pubs, what is left?

pipkin73

You do realise that you aren’t banned from going into a place that has students in it?

I got banned from the Coventrians facebook page for rowing about this, the anti student sentiment, which is crazy.
No i know i am not. Last time i was in Cov city centre i had my Nans funeral . I went to go Liten tree (city centre) so went there for a drink, got told half way through my drink to go away as i am not a student so not welcome, like i said local but told to go away. University to Cov is bull..
My Mrs from Liverpool laughed her head off and told them to do one.

Whoopty84

That’s actually not true. And if you want to attract students I’d suggest you have to have something worth watching.

And even if it was true- Stoke, Derby, Southampton and plenty more had similar or lower crowds than us, now they’re way way higher. You can’t say we will never get more than 20k based on the past, evidence all around shows it’s not true- give this club some success and there is no way we’d be getting any less than, say, Southampton.
I was a regular visitor during the Robbie Keane, Hadji, Chippo, Huckerby, Whelan years and we were lucky to fill HR with 20k fans. Ricoh should never have been a 32k stadium maybe had the option to get there in the future. I had family go to Hull Uni and they attracted Students (football isn't always the best) Cov could do the same but the ground needs to be easily accessible and ideally around pubs/bars etc. HR wasn't perfect in anyway but it had a heart, it's position in the City was perfect go into town & you could pretty much pub crawl your way up to the ground. The Ricoh has nothing around it, it's a logistical nightmare.

Ring Of Steel

I was a regular visitor during the Robbie Keane, Hadji, Chippo, Huckerby, Whelan years and we were lucky to fill HR with 20k fans. Ricoh should never have been a 32k stadium maybe had the option to get there in the future. I had family go to Hull Uni and they attracted Students (football isn't always the best) Cov could do the same but the ground needs to be easily accessible and ideally around pubs/bars etc. HR wasn't perfect in anyway but it had a heart, it's position in the City was perfect go into town & you could pretty much pub crawl your way up to the ground. The Ricoh has nothing around it, it's a logistical nightmare.
Your memory is playing tricks on you, the figures do not agree with you. Nostalgia has warped your recollections.

NortonSkyBlue

The Ricoh was ill conceived and the issues from day one are the reason it is not loved. I also think that on the last day of HR it was probably at its best ever(full house, sun shining, great atmosphere and a joyful celebration of a much loved home) but we would have still needed a new stadium IMO. Yes we could have hung on like Portsmouth but that would have been a stay of execution.
The Ricoh could and should have been a gateway to a better future but ended up as our graveyard.

Sky Blue Pete

The Ricoh was ill conceived and the issues from day one are the reason it is not loved. I also think that on the last day of HR it was probably at its best ever(full house, sun shining, great atmosphere and a joyful celebration of a much loved home) but we would have still needed a new stadium IMO. Yes we could have hung on like Portsmouth but that would have been a stay of execution.
The Ricoh could and should have been a gateway to a better future but ended up as our graveyard.
Ended up??? Way to early to make that call

Magwitch

The Ricoh: Built in the wrong place. There was ample space at the HR site for a top ground, there were plans. But we had individuals connected to our club with £ signs in their eyes. Still it’s done now so unless a new owner with deep pockets can conjure up a new stadium somewhere like Hearsall Common for example we need to sort this Ricoh situation out and quick.

NortonSkyBlue

The Ricoh: Built in the wrong place. There was ample space at the HR site for a top ground, there were plans. But we had individuals connected to our club with £ signs in their eyes. Still it’s done now so unless a new owner with deep pockets can conjure up a new stadium somewhere like Hearsall Common for example we need to sort this Ricoh situation out and quick.
Strongly disagree, it can argued that the location is in the wrong place and it can be argued that it is in the perfect spot near Junction 3 of the M6 and a very short distance from the city centre, if anybody thinks that a few miles is too much then we are never going to succeed in getting fans through any door.

Ring Of Steel

perfectly put.

Users who are viewing this thread