Squad Building - don't Panic!!! (3 Viewers)

singers_pore

Regarding the OP I agree it's too early to start panicking. However .... it seems we cannot afford the wages of players like Fleck and Reda so even if we get new players in, TM and MV are going to have to work miracles to improve the overall quality of the squad compared to last season. The number 1 determinant of football success (according to academic studies) is the amount of money spent on wages.

singers_pore

Youngsters stepping up to the plate would be a big bonus. But that is what we need to supplement our limited budget. It may be in the top eight but still limited compared to some. Fans, please keep the faith, be patient and give the youngsters time to develop.

Yes, but once the young players have developed into first team players SISU try to sell them after only half a season (e.g., Calum, James, etc.). I realize we have to sell to make ends meet. But it would be nice to at least have their services for a couple of seasons in the first team before we trying flogging them.

Hobo

Yes, but once the young players have developed into first team players SISU try to sell them after only half a season (e.g., Calum, James, etc.). I realize we have to sell to make ends meet. But it would be nice to at least have their services for a couple of seasons in the first team before we trying flogging them.
I think we had two slightly different scenarios there. Wilson was just too hot for us to handle and Maddison was floundering and we may not have seen that return again? Selling is not necessarily a problem as it can be a short road to success. It depends on the level of reinvestment. For instance 3m for Maddison say goes into 3 players in the 300,000 bracket, 1m wages and 1m in the bank...or something similar.

But whatever, we need to start building. We can not keep releasing 10 players a season and starting from scratch. There are one or two small signs things might be changing. But the next 6 weeks will be massive in who we bring in

D

Deleted member 2477

Unfortunately hobo we aint got 6 weeks. The season starts on the 6/8 thats just over 3 weeks today and we have half a team with the rest made up of our u 21 squad.

Its time to start panicking as has been said by tm and several on here we need 6 good experienced players. Even signing them in the next couple of weeks is hardly great when they have had no chance to play together with the rest of the team.
Im afraid im starting to think sisu are saying no to tm and we cant compete in the the transfer market.

Im waiting for some bullshit excuses now as to why we havnt signed anyone and that our u21 players are better than those available

Otis

Unfortunately hobo we aint got 6 weeks. The season starts on the 6/8 thats just over 3 weeks today and we have half a team with the rest made up of our u 21 squad.

Its time to start panicking as has been said by tm and several on here we need 6 good experienced players. Even signing them in the next couple of weeks is hardly great when they have had no chance to play together with the rest of the team.
Im afraid im starting to think sisu are saying no to tm and we cant compete in the the transfer market.

Im waiting for some bullshit excuses now as to why we havnt signed anyone and that our u21 players are better than those available
We got players late last time out and started the season like a house on fire.

AFCCOVENTRY

We can easily put a team out in 3 weeks with the current squad..:

RCC
Willis
Ricketts
Stokes (fitness dependent)
Haynes
Gadzhev
Vincelot
Rose
Jones
Sordell
Ruben

D

Deleted member 2477

Is that a team that can push for promotion though afc or a team of back up players who wernt good enough last season

Otis

Is that a team that can push for promotion though afc or a team of back up players who wernt good enough last season
It's a team that can start the season. The season itself is 46 games.

I want TM to get it right rather than just bring players in to make up the numbers.

Let's trust him to bring in high quality loans. Add 3 or 4 very good loan players to that lot above and we have a decent looking squad.

D

Deleted member 2477

I know what your saying otis but i think tm has stated it himself that we cant keep building a team on loan players as every season we will be in the position we are in now with half a team and no stability. Loans sometimes work out but the team shouldnt be built on them.

Otis

I know what your saying otis but i think tm has stated it himself that we cant keep building a team on loan players as every season we will be in the position we are in now with half a team and no stability. Loans sometimes work out but the team shouldnt be built on them.
Yep, agree and I know TM feels the same. If he can't get the permanent signings he wants though, he has no other choice other than to utilise the loan market.

NorthernWisdom

I want TM to get in right rather than just bring players in to make up the numbers.

You would however hope that we'd be able to have the right players targeted and signed up ASAP, to give them the most time to gel.

It's not surprising though, because it's been the SISU way of doing things (to save wages) since they came in.

We've signed 2-3 on long-ish contracts, and this is a welcome sight (assuming they're good of course ;)). Be nice to sort some more in a similar way however.

Otis

You would however hope that we'd be able to have the right players targeted and signed up ASAP, to give them the most time to gel.

It's not surprising though, because it's been the SISU way of doing things (to save wages) since they came in.

We've signed 2-3 on long-ish contracts, and this is a welcome sight (assuming they're good of course ;)). Be nice to sort some more in a similar way however.
I'm sure TM has tried and either Sisu have said no (too expensive) or the player and his agent have said no to the terms we have offered.

Otis

Thats my point nw we are only 3 weeks away from swindon and we are now talking about using half the u21 team and loans. Compare the current squad we have to last season having lost armstrong, murphy who between them contributed half the seasons goals, fleck, martin, reda ?
These were all a big part of the starting 11 for much of the season and in my opinion without replacing these with quality at least as good we are a much weaker team than last season
Still think it is two soon to panic yet, marcusp.

Let's see what this week brings. Maybe there are things in the pipeline that are happening in the next few days.

D

Deleted member 2477

Thats my point nw we are only 3 weeks away from swindon and we are now talking about using half the u21 team and loans. Compare the current squad we have to last season having lost armstrong, murphy who between them contributed half the seasons goals, fleck, martin, maderson, cole, reda ?
I havnt even counted players like kent and turner who also contributed a big part to when we were winning. These were all a big part of the starting 11 for much of the season and in my opinion without replacing these with quality at least as good we are a much weaker team than last season

D

Deleted member 2477

Fingers crossed otis that tm has two or three in place for the next week or so as if we are still no better of this time next week im afraid that i cant see us competing as well as last season

covcity4life

Regarding the OP I agree it's too early to start panicking. However .... it seems we cannot afford the wages of players like Fleck and Reda so even if we get new players in, TM and MV are going to have to work miracles to improve the overall quality of the squad compared to last season. The number 1 determinant of football success (according to academic studies) is the amount of money spent on wages.

fleck and reda?

i imagine fleck has asked for a pay rise and reda prob wants similar wages to last year but its too much of a risk for ccfc

dont think can blame sisu too much for either.

ccfcway

absolutely not worried at this stage, but I would suggest that if we have Ryan Hayes at left back on the 1st game of the season, TM's pre season planning wont have gone as expected.

Even Grendal wont agrue with that one !

Gint11

Yeah I'm not too concerned. By the time we get to the end of the transfer window with a couple of additions we'll be OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedies_Chips

Thats my point nw we are only 3 weeks away from swindon and we are now talking about using half the u21 team and loans. Compare the current squad we have to last season having lost armstrong, murphy who between them contributed half the seasons goals, fleck, martin, maderson, cole, reda ?
I havnt even counted players like kent and turner who also contributed a big part to when we were winning. These were all a big part of the starting 11 for much of the season and in my opinion without replacing these with quality at least as good we are a much weaker team than last season

4 weeks

ajsccfc

We operate on pretty much the same timescale every year. It'd be great to have everything done and dusted in plenty of time for the first game, but at this level where you're relying on what other teams pass up or lend out it's a waiting game and goes right to the transfer deadline quite a lot of the time.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
TM will work his budget and have a squad in place ready for the season. Whether that squad will be good enough given the budget restrictions who knows only time will tell. It is a way too early to be panicking about the squad size or quality though.

A lot of other L1 teams are in the middle of squad building too

runner

Missed out on Moussa, No Leon Clarke yet, no Maddison this year, no aspirations ... I do think this will be a poorer season than last, Walsall and Sheff Utd are putting their plans together ... we aren't, we just don't have the backing ... TM may well have liked to have had a few of the above names, but he can't get them because why would players choose us ... Fleck went for money yes, but also because he has a better chance to get to the Championship with someone else ... and he's right IMHO

Skybluefaz

I'm sure Chris Anderson is quoted in the SCG minutes from the last meeting saying there is a cash offer in for another player at the moment. Hopefully this is a sign of bringing in good permanent signings rather than endless loans.

stupot07

Missed out on Moussa, No Leon Clarke yet, no Maddison this year, no aspirations ... I do think this will be a poorer season than last, Walsall and Sheff Utd are putting their plans together ... we aren't, we just don't have the backing ... TM may well have liked to have had a few of the above names, but he can't get them because why would players choose us ... Fleck went for money yes, but also because he has a better chance to get to the Championship with someone else ... and he's right IMHO
I was unaware that we made an approach for Moussa....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Skybluefaz

Walsall have lost some big players, I wouldn't be surprised to see them struggling next season.

Otis

Missed out on Moussa, No Leon Clarke yet, no Maddison this year, no aspirations ... I do think this will be a poorer season than last.

Just don't understand why anyone can come to such a conclusion before the season has even started and while we are still recruiting.

If we kicked off today I could understand what you mean.

Trouble is, there is still 4 weeks to go.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't think there's any question that we could field a team with the players we've got at the moment, but one to challenge for promotion? Definitely not.

Although the timescale does make me a little twitchy, I'm not too worried yet. We need at least 5 permanent signings I'd say, a bit more muscle all over the park certainly. Add in a few loans and we'll be alright.

I would like this to start happening soon though!

AFCCOVENTRY

As Otis has mentioned, we can start the season with a half decent team. In all honesty it's not the worst team to start with and at least we own all those players!

D

Deleted member 2477

3 weeks 4 days and 1hr 25 min to be precise. Defo not 4 weeks though

Users who are viewing this thread