Squad Building - don't Panic!!! (1 Viewer)

johnwillomagic

After reading some ludicrous rants about not being able to field 11 let's visit the squad as it is
currently - In my book we are a league one team who should have 22 players and I think
a few raw academy players as back up . we cannot afford anymore and nor can most league one
teams so people need to adjust their expectations.

Goalies: RCC, Burge (Think covered there)

Defence: Stokes, Willis, Ricketts, Haynes, Harres, Kelly Evans (2) (7 in total but probably
need one or two more in for this area a dominant centre half and right back desirable)

Midfield: Jones, Lameiras, Vincelot, Gadzhev, Rose,,,,,,, (5 in total though may have missed
someone or academy players? Need two more here a dominant centre mid and winger maybe)

Forwards: Sordell, Tudguy, K.Thomas, G.Thomas (4 in total a couple more ideally needed).

Conclusion: We have squad of 18 already so at time of year not bad and we have options. Do
we need more bodies - yes but if we sign 3/4 more or get some loans in persoanlly I think things not loooking
too bad - keep the faith!!

Nick

Administrator
Agree, maybe 5 or so and it won't be too bad. If the fast German is any good then that's 1 down.

Just midfield, couple of defenders and a striker I'd say

Reactions: RFC

tom88

I think we need the following before the season starts

2x dominant CB
1x winger
1x CM
1x dominant striker

If we can fill the squad out with 2-3 quality loanees like arma, Murphy etc then we should be competitive for a top 6

rupert_bear

Goal scoring is as ever the important aspect. Last year we set off with goals galore from Adam Armstrong but not that many from anywhere else other than 10 over the season from Jacob Murphy, once Armstrong dried up a bit we struggled. We need goals from other areas especially midfield more regularly, would rather that than one area.

stupot07

Agreed but one of the Kelly-evans is a number 10/attacking midfielder not a defender

We also have Ben Stevenson and Ivor Lawton in centre mids and the winger (forget his name) that left then came back.

Plenty of time yet

Edit: remembered, Spence!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ajsccfc

Lawton in midfield too if he's fit? He's got to be around the first team this season is have thought.

Otis

Agreed but one of the Kelly-evans is a number 10/attacking midfielder not a defender

We also have Ben Stevenson and Ivor Lawton in centre mids and the winger (forget his name) that left then came back.

Plenty of time yet

Edit: remembered, Spence!

Really hoping Ben Stevenson breaks through this season. Heard lots of good stuff about him. Harries too.

stupot07

Really hoping Ben Stevenson breaks through this season. Heard lots of good stuff about him. Harries too.
Yeah, when you read the feedback from the u21's Stevenson, Harries, the Kelly-evans's, G Thomas and Spence are really well thought of, I hope they can push themselves to get some minutes this season. I'm looking forward to today, yeah it will be a dour friendly but its nice to a look at some of the youngsters to see what they can do.

Last edited:

Otis

Yeah, when you read the feedback from the u21's Stevenson, Harries, the Kelly-evans's, G Thomas and Spence are really well thought of, I hope they can push themselves to get some minutes this season. I'm looking forward to today, yeah it will be a dour friendly but its nice to a look at some of the youngsters

Hey, steady on .....

Shouldn't you just be going to watch the game?

Last edited:

Pete in Portugal

There's Bilal Sayoud too. Hopefully at least a couple of U21's will break into the first team squad. We just need a few more experieced players to give us more options, particularly in defence.

Last edited:

st john

I thought we might go back in for Elson Hooi, the reports last year suggested he did OK but we were pinning our hopes on a Liverpool loan instead.

Liquid Gold

I wonder what formation we're planning on playing next year. Would make a difference on where we need players. If we're playing 4-2-3-1 again we need maybe just 1 more striker but loads of midfielders

CJ_covblaze

Jake Wight, Oxford's captain of 6 years has just left them by mutual consent. Decent defender. Leader. 30 years old. Just what we need. Sign him up Tony.

Skybluenutterman

Whatever happens we need to beef up the team and become physically stronger. As good as Murphy, Armstrong and Maddison were, they were never strong enough or tall enough and shite in the air. Most of the development team can be blown over too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo

Jake Wight, Oxford's captain of 6 years has just left them by mutual consent. Decent defender. Leader. 30 years old. Just what we need. Sign him up Tony.

Jake Wright Signed for Sheffield United.

NorthernWisdom

What had Callum Wilson done? Scored 1 goal in 17 games on loan at Kettering. Sometimes these lads need a chance to prove their worth in the first team.

The point beeing, we an point to the exception and big up some people who've done nothing, or we can accept the probability is he's clinging on by the skin of his teeth, and chances are he'll shuffle off to obscurity.

Look, I hope he makes it, I hope *all* our players make it... but the bigging up of Lawton on this board in particular is slightly absurd when he's done sod all so far.

Gazolba

After reading some ludicrous rants about not being able to field 11 let's visit the squad as it is
currently -<snip>

Conclusion: We have squad of 18 already so at time of year not bad and we have options. Do
we need more bodies - yes but if we sign 3/4 more or get some loans in persoanlly I think things not loooking
too bad - keep the faith!!
Yes, we almost have the numbers. But that squad is nowhere near strong enough to mount a promotion push.
We need to top up the numbers with quality experienced players. But can we afford them? I doubt it.

NorthernWisdom

Quite a bit of it was from Mowbray himself though, if Lawton hadn't have crocked himself there's the suggestion he'd have had the chance to play himself into the squad last season

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...-news/ivor-lawton-could-iconic-player-9293851

"I think he earned the right for us to give him an offer of a new contract by his personality, his drive and conviction... What you’ll never take away from him is his desire and love for the club. There are things I need to work on with him; his game understanding and technical ability... his role will be to lead the Under-21 team"

Doesn't exactly look like bigging him up to be a first team player last season to me. Looks like someone who's merited a new contract as much because of his determination and willpower than any actual footballing ability.

Look, that's not saying I think he's shit. I don't know... much as everyone else, but I can guarantee if he's talked up and it turns out we have someone who hurtles around the pitch but can't trap a ball without passing it 50 yards, the fickleness'll come out and he'll be written off in the same way as Finch.

I wouldn't be expecting him to be in the first team, I'd be expecting him (much as many other youngsters) to be a happy bonus *if* he does.

ajsccfc

There's a bit further down that stood out for me

'And hopefully he can push and force himself into the first team picture. At this moment, as I said to him at the end of the season, his role will be to lead the Under-21 team and if and when he’s required he needs to be ready so the day he gets on the pitch at the Ricoh Arena and plays in our first team he has to make an impact'

The closest I've come to seeing Lawton near the first team is that time he turned up in the corner with Burge and Johnson so I couldn't tell you anything about him as a player (lovely beard though) but the door really seems to be propped open for him in particular.

Being part of the promotional material for the new strips may be an indication too, although Kelly-Evans being involved may also mean they just picked some photogenic players who were nearby.

NorthernWisdom

There's a bit further down that stood out for me

Surely he hopes *every* player at the club can push themselves into the first team picture? I'd be looking more at the bits that emphasised he was by no means the finished article.

It's all very well throwing Wilson into the mix, but it's the Adam Walkers of this world who are the more common CCFC (and every club, tbf) occurrence (Walker, incidentally, looked great in the youth team whenever I saw him, as did Wilson and Cameron).

ajsccfc

I'm sure he hopes the same for every player, but if one's being highlighted particularly there has to be something there. It's no guarantee of anything, but then if we had a player who was guaranteed they'd probably have been long gone already.

NorthernWisdom

See personally I wouldn't say one interview for the local rag on him signing a new contract, saying he'll be in the under 21 side... is bigging him up.

Except in a world where a paper needs to sell copy and content.

ajsccfc

It's not just that one article, that's just an easy example to find. As I say I've not seen him play so my hope is based on other people's possible exaggeration.

Hobo

With youngsters it is all ifs and buts. Maddison last year everyone expected to kick on and he didn't, he fizzled a bit but didn't convince...we may have done a good deal there?

Now let's say Red a had had an injury free season, Phillips had kicked on in a similar way to Stokes and Fleck was well just Fleck but staying. We may have had the start of a team...would still need 4 good astute signings, but you would feel the nucleus was there.

But we are where we are and we still need about six to come in and those six need to hit the ground running. I think we may have another season out of the top six, but I am hoping for progress. It takes time to build a side and time for a team to bond. Few do it in one season. Brian Clough didn't at Forest and Joe Royle didn't at Oldham, neither did Kendell at Everton...they all took two or three seasons to pull the sides together.

Youngsters stepping up to the plate would be a big bonus. But that is what we need to supplement our limited budget. It may be in the top eight but still limited compared to some.

Fans, please keep the faith, be patient and give the youngsters time to develop.

Hobo

Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th July about 10 transfers completed. Not the first time I have noticed clubs completing transfers over the weekend.

We seem to shut down. We only seem to complete on a Thursday or a Friday...I know that might not be strictly true...but we just don't seem to be really up and at it 24/7.

Fingers crossed I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread