Spoke to Carl Baker today and ... (1 Viewer)

MattyMc

Relegation from this league is highly unlikely (surely?) but even if someone thought we were relegation material and had their reasons, why is that wrong?

The 'fans' who cant accept views of others ornother ways of thinking are the ones holding this club back.

MattyMc

I'll own up to a little childish animosity, but it's because I find the negativity so hard to stomach. To the likes of Matty, no offence intended, just cheer up ffs! You never know, we might have a great season but if not, there will be plenty of time to express

Fair comment, agree

Nonleagueherewecome

If we play 442 with baker and sheff on either winger may as well stay at home, paceless and lightweight

That's it, we have no pacy wingers...hence the diamond or 433/451 being our options. I think I favour the diamond as it gives us two up front, which I really do think we need (can't ask Cody to play the lone striker role). But I also want the midfield diamond to be less compact than last season, more dynamic and fluid (which it was the season before, largely thanks to King's fantastic movement dragging opposition players all over the shop & Aron's re-ignited engine), and most importantly 10 yards higher up the pitch. With Sammy gone-the man who was allowed to "play where he wants", ie far too deep-and Jennings hopefully signing, that should be easily doable.

As ever, numbers are meaningless, it's about phase of play, movement and flexibility, not standing still in a position. I'd like Sheff in a slightly withdrawn second striker position to the left of Cody, but you could equally do the same with Elliott on his right (a "forward" rather than an out-an-out "striker" as such; a Sheringham rather than a Shearer. Cody's Shearer :)) or Polo, Jeffers-even ROD as RCF so he can use his pace in the right-hand channel.

-------\-----Cody-----------
--------Sheff---/------------
-----------Fleck---------\--
---Barton--Jennings--Baker--
\-------------I-------------/
Hussey------------------Clarke

---------CB--------CB--------
--------------GK--------------
If Baker, Sheff and Fleck use their freedom properly and link up in wide positions when the full-backs overlap, we won't lose width: it will be made up for by over-loading with our free-er players. This actually worked like a dream during AT's first period in charge. It simply didn't happen last season.

The LCM (probably Kilbane or Thomas eventually) is narrower and slightly deeper than the RCM (assuming it's Baker or Bell) to form a two when the LB overlaps or the RCM goes forwards. That slightly more advanced of Jennings role should be more of a passer/tackler than a dribbler/winger. Alternatively you could have Thomas or Barton at narrow RCM (when fit/available) and Kilbane LCM and give Kilbane more width. See if he's still got some of those funky dribble skills. Beagrie, Matthews and Hutchinson still had those skills and crossing ability well into their dotage, even if they'd long lost their pace! Can Kilbane* do similar, or does he want to play a "Sammy" role? I'd prefer the former, and think him and Hussey linking up together could prove highly profitable.

*obviously not in the class of them, but he was an elegant, skilful winger when in his prime.

Last edited:

woody11462

My opinion on this, for what it's worth is as follows:

Wood, I'm glad he is staying. Was not too sure from his injury record and what I did see of him last year. If he is the top earner and is not automatic first choice nth is season then we should move him on but he looked very good against Accrington and will deal with the physical side of the league very well. He will help bed in the two new centre backs who are gonna take time to get used to the league and he also expressed his desire to stay.

Hussey, we need at the moment due to lack of recognised left backs. He will be useful if we ate on top but still sometimes suspect when defending.

Jenings I would be delighted about and is a player I think we really need next season. Really hope we sign him.

Polo sounds promising and I think will be signed if he shows any promise. He is different to Bruno apparently and at his age hasa potential resale value which will appeal to SISU.

All in all things are looking good but we need that bit of luck as well. New signings gelling, luck with suspensions and injuries, etc.

stupot07

That's it, we have no pacy wingers...hence the diamond or 433/451 being our options. I think I favour the diamond as it gives us two up front, which I really do think we need (can't ask Cody to play the lone striker role). But I also want the midfield diamond to be less compact than last season, more dynamic and fluid (which it was the season before, largely thanks to King's fantastic movement dragging opposition players all over the shop & Aron's re-ignited engine), and most importantly 10 yards higher up the pitch. With Sammy gone-the man who was allowed to "play where he wants", ie far too deep-and Jennings hopefully signing, that should be easily doable.

As ever, numbers are meaningless, it's about phase of play, movement and flexibility, not standing still in a position. I'd like Sheff in a slightly withdrawn second striker position to the left of Cody, but you could equally do the same with Elliott on his right (a "forward" rather than an out-an-out "striker" as such; a Sheringham rather than a Shearer. Cody's Shearer :)) or Polo, Jeffers-even ROD as RCF so he can use his pace in the right-hand channel.

-------\-----Cody-----------
--------Sheff---/------------
-----/-----Fleck---------\--
---Barton--Jennings--Baker--
\---------------------------/
Hussey------------------Clarke

---------CB--------CB--------
--------------GK--------------
If Baker, Sheff and Fleck use their freedom properly and link up in wide positions when the full-backs overlap, we won't lose width: it will be made up for by over-loading with our free-er players. This actually worked like a dream during AT's first period in charge. It simply didn't happen last season.

The LCM (probably Kilbane or Thomas) is narrower and slightly deeper than the RCM (assuming it's Baker or Bell) to form a two when the LB overlaps or the RCM goes forwards. That slightly more advanced of Jennings role should be more of a passer/tackler than a dribbler/winger. Alternatively you could have Thomas at narrow RCM (when fit) and Kilbane LCM and give Kilbane more width. See if he's still got some of those funky dribble skills. Beagrie, Matthews and Hutchinson still had those skills and crossing ability well into their dotage, even if they'd long lost their pace! Can Kilbane* do similar, or does he want to play a "Sammy" role? I'd prefer the latter, and think him and Hussey linking up together could prove highly profitable.

*obviously not in the class of them, but he was an elegant, skilful winger when in his prime.

Duffy will not like this ;)

Samo

Did anyone mention inflatables? :D

BurbageSkyBlues

By negativity do you mean anyone who doesn't think we're going to win the league?

Stupot, by 'negativity' I do not mean 'realism'.

I hate the way players are slated for their errors, as opposed to being encouraged for the good things they do. Yes, we all make mistakes, but most people respond to praise, and wither when criticised. Unfortunately, we can't afford those players that thrive on criticism. They are the exception, rather than the rule :;)

ccfc92

I must have missed those posts, I don't think we'll be relegated but I don't think it's going to be as easy as quite a few posters seem to think.

Agreed. Have seen a lot of League 1 football. The only way to succeed is to make the Ricoh a fortress. And when we win, win by 5 goals or so. Completely destroy a week team :thinking about:

georgehudson

positive post STB, & i hope there is a lot of truth's in your relayed comments,
we (that is, true CCFC fans, need something with a big +),
to those who's glass is always half empty,
PUSB

procdoc

I really can't believe some of the posters on here, so quick to dismiss the OP with their negative drivel. I don't think we'll win the league but Christ, please let us actually kick a competitive ball before calling everyone shite, Thorn shite etc. The likes of Valiant, Stupot and Grendel just come on here to wind everyone up, they've got nothing positive or indeed interesting to say so fuck 'em!

SkyBlue_Bear83

The LCM (probably Kilbane or Thomas eventually) is narrower and slightly deeper than the RCM (assuming it's Baker or Bell) to form a two when the LB overlaps or the RCM goes forwards. That slightly more advanced of Jennings role should be more of a passer/tackler than a dribbler/winger. Alternatively you could have Thomas or Barton at narrow RCM (when fit/available) and Kilbane LCM and give Kilbane more width. See if he's still got some of those funky dribble skills. Beagrie, Matthews and Hutchinson still had those skills and crossing ability well into their dotage, even if they'd long lost their pace! Can Kilbane* do similar, or does he want to play a "Sammy" role? I'd prefer the former, and think him and Hussey linking up together could prove highly profitable.

You mean sort of a 4-2-2-2 formation at times? With Thomas/Barton and Jennings playing deeper with Baker pushing forward alongside Fleck and both floating around attacking areas with double Mc up top

Could work with a front 4 of Fleck, Baker, Mcdonald and Sheff all being very fluid and interchangeable due to them all being useful in AM, wide and in the box

Hope we see more of the diagonal ball to the full backs which Norwood and Clarke perfected at the end of last season, hope Barton has similar passing ability. Also get Hussey forward and to the byline as often as we can as his crossing was sublime at times last season. In Mcdonald we have a player who will gamble and keep putting himself in the right positions in the box time and time again, just need to put the ball into a dangerous area and more often than not I would expect Mcdonald to be their.

PVA

I've met Carl Baker before and as others have said in here he's a really nice bloke. seems like a good guy.

Nonleagueherewecome

You mean sort of a 4-2-2-2 formation at times? With Thomas/Barton and Jennings playing deeper with Baker pushing forward alongside Fleck and both floating around attacking areas with double Mc up top

Could work with a front 4 of Fleck, Baker, Mcdonald and Sheff all being very fluid and interchangeable due to them all being useful in AM, wide and in the box

Hope we see more of the diagonal ball to the full backs which Norwood and Clarke perfected at the end of last season, hope Barton has similar passing ability. Also get Hussey forward and to the byline as often as we can as his crossing was sublime at times last season. In Mcdonald we have a player who will gamble and keep putting himself in the right positions in the box time and time again, just need to put the ball into a dangerous area and more often than not I would expect Mcdonald to be their.

Yeah, pretty much, and the important thing is that fluidity. You don't get that much movement with most target men, although Polo seems to be in a similar mode to Juke in that he's pretty strong but also reasonably mobile (contrast with Platt!).

Agreed about the need to be able to switch play to the other flank, too. That was working really well by the end of last season.

Users who are viewing this thread