Spoke to Carl Baker today and ... (1 Viewer)

Hi all, first post. I've read posts everyday all pre season and after speaking to Carl Baker today while at a golf tourny i thought it a good time to join in. I asked him several questions you were all discussing, so here goes.

1/ Wood told him this morning the Sheff W interest had fallen through and he would almost certainly be staying. Carl said good job, he's been awesome in last two games and should be a certainty to start centre back.

2/ Two French lads at back are both good signings but at moment are defending too deep hence the goals against. Both used to sitting back and will take time to adjust. He suggested Wood/Brown at back to start with.

3/ Jennings will sign in next couple of days, he say's he is quality, a real hard man work horse which we desperately need. Delay due to the off loading of Deegan. He said Jennings is far superior and that he played against him while playing for Stockport but wished he hadnt as all he got out of him was bruises.

4/ Bruno was good but too much like Callum Ball, who he said is a beast. The new Hungarian is excellent and everyone is impressed. Should hopefully sign and then he reckons Cody will score for fun.

5/ Hussey HAS been injured, returns tomorrow and is a big part of the team, not being sold as far as the players understand.

6/ German las was skillful but was thought too light weight for this division.

7/ Told him about the inflatables, he thought it would be brilliant. He said he and the rest of the remaining squad had no intentions of going due to our magnificent support through last years bad times. They all want to repay us. Most of the signings, the players did not want to go but due to financial situation were sacrificed.

He said all the players were totally up for the season, they all believe we have whats needed. the only slight concern is that we will be bullied out of games, hence all the big new signings.

CJparker

All sounds positive, especially about Jennings. Did he say when Poloskei will be signing?

Im going to go from excited to over excited if the signings of Jennings and Polo come through. From what other teams have done like Norwich and Southampton we seem to have gotten rid of the deadwood and brung in more players that want it, imo anyway. I wonder what odds you'd get on us today being in the prem in a couple years, just incase we do follow their lead ;)

pusbccfc

Yeah should be true, Baker is a top lad, spoke to him a few times, always talkative about the team and Steve was he with his wife!?;) :D

AndyCov96

I think baker could do well in this league as we signed him from stockport where he scored 15 from midfield and they were also near the bottom

He meant The Hungry One has different qualities besides just being a big target man. Good with his back to goal and turning to shoot, more pace, aswell as good in the air. Only young too. Hope he's right.

stupot07

I think baker could do well in this league as we signed him from stockport where he scored 15 from midfield and they were also near the bottom

On the flip he was also part of a midfield/team that picked up just 14 points from 23 games, conceding 47 and only scoring 21 goals. Yes he scored the majority of them, taking pens and free kicks, but also has to take some of the responsibility for the poor stats.

Ryan Parfrey

Fairplay to Baker. He was one of the players who would always give 100% lastyear even if he was having a bad game and he did well in some games. I reckon he will do well at this level!

Grendel

I can't see him in the first team if all are fit.

bamalamafizzfazz

WOW! Great information and detective work and all seeming pretty realistic. I'm predicting a good season. Really like Carl Baker, met him once in the car park at the Ricoh with his wife and son. Lovely bloke.

Grendel

I expect him to be on the bench against Yeovil.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
If it's all true about the enthusiasm and willingness to win each game then we're half way to success just on the back of that! It's what's been lacking in the team for some years now.

Sutty

David Bell and Carl Baker are both really good blokes. Some of the stick they get is horrid.

As for the info, all sounds pretty positive. Glad to hear Poloskey is impressing, he seems like the kind of striker that would be a perfect foil for Cody.

junglej13

As a few on here have said Baker strikes me as a very decent bloke. I think if Fleck gets injured both him and McSheffery could suit the tip of the diamond as it seems we might have other players to actually operate the system.

CJparker

This is perhaps the greatest "first post" by anyone in the history of SBT!!!

Samo

Usual negativity, eating away at confidence, bringing everybody down like a cancer eating away at our club. They haven't kicked a ball and already this bullshit!

Users who are viewing this thread