Some perspective please (for the bedwetters) (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Which isn't great considering the spend

We lost Vik, Gus, Fadz and TBH it ripped the heart out of the team and we have replaced the goals of the first two but not the rest, especially their winning mentality. Godden and Kelly and Allen, the sort of second tier of that mentality aren’t near the side. The quality is mostly there, I think only Kitching is really questionable for the price we paid. But we absolutely fucked the mindset part of the scouting process and need to resolve that. With a Fadz type and/or a Hamer type we’d have made playoffs easily IMO.

napolimp

We lost Vik, Gus, Fadz and TBH it ripped the heart out of the team and we have replaced the goals of the first two but not the rest, especially their winning mentality. Godden and Kelly and Allen, the sort of second tier of that mentality aren’t near the side. The quality is mostly there, I think only Kitching is really questionable for the price we paid. But we absolutely fucked the mindset part of the scouting process and need to resolve that. With a Fadz type and/or a Hamer type we’d have made playoffs easily IMO.

Hamer has a winning mentality? Not putting it to much use at 3 win Sheffield United.

shmmeee

Hamer has a winning mentality? Not putting it to much use at 3 win Sheffield United.

He added a lot more to our team that’s missing, like drive and passing range from deep, but yeah, he clearly wanted to win more than the average signing we made last summer who all seem to not “have that dog in them” that Vik, Fadz and Gus all did.

PVA

Not his fault his teammates are shite though.

He's had a pretty good season individually. He ranks pretty highly in chance creations, which is quite impressive in such a god awful team.

skybluecam

The amount of money spent and the quality of player at the club isn't quite the same as 21/22 we should be doing better than 13 points from the last 12 games.. cheers
Money spent? We've made a net profit on transfers since then. And as you say, we've increased the quality of the squad.

Do you not agree we're going into this summer in a better position than last? If so, why the negativity? Disappointing run yes, but nothing worth throwing a strop about.

napolimp

He added a lot more to our team that’s missing, like drive and passing range from deep, but yeah, he clearly wanted to win more than the average signing we made last summer who all seem to not “have that dog in them” that Vik, Fadz and Gus all did.

Trying to subtly point out that a top level athlete not having a "winning mentality" is complete garbage. You wouldn't make it to that level if you didn't want to win.

shmmeee

Trying to subtly point out that a top level athlete not having a "winning mentality" is complete garbage. You wouldn't make it to that level if you didn't want to win.

We’re talking a range across a distribution though. I’m sure they all want to win more than you or I, and that’s why they’re playing pro football and we aren’t. But equally among those with that baseline will to win some want it, or channel it on the pitch and raise others up, more than others. Surely that’s undeniable?

napolimp

We’re talking a range across a distribution though. I’m sure they all want to win more than you or I, and that’s why they’re playing pro football and we aren’t. But equally among those with that baseline will to win some want it, or channel it on the pitch and raise others up, more than others. Surely that’s undeniable?

Not sure about that, different people with have attributes that can benefit a team in a variety of ways. I do think Gyokeres has a pure drive for self success, which I don't think you see very often - it's like he wants to be the best. Robins doesn't suffer poor attitude, everyone in that team wants to win. Hamer skill level, creativity, and vision was a cut above what we have now - that was likely his contribution to the team which made a difference, rather than a winning mentality. Fadz had experience, an we have a young team on the pitch now.

Evo1883

Money spent? We've made a net profit on transfers since then. And as you say, we've increased the quality of the squad.

Do you not agree we're going into this summer in a better position than last? If so, why the negativity? Disappointing run yes, but nothing worth throwing a strop about.
Not throwing a strop , I'm saying it's not good enough , which it isn't

shmmeee

Not sure about that, different people with have attributes that can benefit a team in a variety of ways. I do think Gyokeres has a pure drive for self success, which I don't think you see very often - it's like he wants to be the best. Robins doesn't suffer poor attitude, everyone in that team wants to win. Hamer skill level, creativity, and vision was a cut above what we have now - that was likely his contribution to the team which made a difference, rather than a winning mentality. Fadz had experience, an we have a young team on the pitch now.

I just think some people have a little more grit when the chips are down and are more likely to pull others up for a drop in standards and take defeats badly, in a good way.

Saying “all pro footballers want to win” is like saying “all NBA players are tall”, sure, but some are taller than others.

napolimp

I just think some people have a little more grit when the chips are down and are more likely to pull others up for a drop in standards and take defeats badly, in a good way.

Saying “all pro footballers want to win” is like saying “all NBA players are tall”, sure, but some are taller than others.

I don't think that was Hamer, above anyone else we have playing regularly.

shmmeee

I don't think that was Hamer, above anyone else we have playing regularly.

I think he was part of it, same as a happy O’Hare was, maybe not the grittiness of a Fadz, but certainly more than any of Wright, Simms, MvE, Thomas this season.

shy_tall_knight

every cloud has a silver lining - the poor recent form IMO has exposed the inadequacies of some of our players and may help Robbins to bring in the appropriate replacements
GK - looks so awkward when having to pass the ball out from the back, his errors have lead to too many goals / chances
LB - JDS can't defend
CH - Kitchen seems too clumbsy, Lati ok in a back 3
Midfield - Kasey last night summed him up one piece of pure skill for the goal, spent too mich time on the floor or trying fancy flicks not a 90 mins footballer

shy_tall_knight

Exactly this. Some of the reactions to last night from people on here are pathetic.

Calling for Latibeaudiere, Palmer and JDS to be bombed-out is just entitled b*ll*cks.
JDS - yes to getting rid of simply can't defend, - Lati & Kasey squad players not the core of the team

Grendel

Small squad, lack of cover in key positions, one fit centre back, lots of games in a short space of times etc etc.

The players haven’t become shit overnight, is all I’m saying.

We haven’t had one centre back since the bad run started have we?

clint van damme

You say they've been a feature of Robins tenure. To be fair, every team goes through bad runs. Even the top teams. The difference is that we're less knee-jerky (as a club) than many and this run at the end of the season has curtailed our PO aspirtions.

We could easily have had a crap Xmas period and been better at the end of the season but would've been in the same position - outside the play offs. Arguably our start was worse as we only won 3 games from our first 15.

This end has been frustrating. Have we got everything right - probably not. Will we be in a better position next season - I suspect so.

And like every other club, we'll have bad runs next season as well as good runs. Just hopefully our bad runs lose us less points than this season.

Our runs seem to be either autos form or relegation form. I'm not sure teams veer from one to the other quite as much as we do.

clint van damme

JDS - yes to getting rid of simply can't defend, - Lati & Kasey squad players not the core of the team

Was,shocking for the goal last night
They'd worked it down that flank a minute earlier in exactly the same way and he didn't heed the,warning.

Adi likes him though so I doubt he's going anywhere so let's hope he's right about having lots of improvement in him.

Bad Boy

Some very good points being made for and against but I tell you what I'm going to get seriously annoyed if MR trots out the small squad too many games mantra this time next year.

Sky Blue Pete

They'd worked it down that flank a minute earlier in exactly the same way and he didn't heed the,warning.

Adi likes him though so I doubt he's going anywhere so let's hope he's right about having lots of improvement in him.
Just like anyone who is prejudiced or biased against individuals. Complete focus on negative aspects and mistakes and no awareness of the positive aspects of his game and performance last night
What should he have done with either of those moves? Someone said come more centrally. Maybe improved his sprinting speed during the game ffs

shy_tall_knight

LAst night in the first half after they had scored got beaten again
Preston at home dribbled in the box but got tackled and they score, WBA away both full backs guilty for both goals
He is targeted by opposition teams He's good going forward but doesn't compensate for his inability to defend

Sky Blue Pete

LAst night in the first half after they had scored got beaten again
Preston at home dribbled in the box but got tackled and they score, WBA away both full backs guilty for both goals
He is targeted by opposition teams He's good going forward but doesn't compensate for his inability to defend
Preston was awful
Last night wasn’t as bad

MTK

Whilst in some ways it's fair to say be professional and get on with the next game, i think the FA Cup semi outcome probably affected the players more than the fans. I don't think I was alone in being disappointed in the outcome but having a predominant emotion of pride - pride in out fightback, and how the fans supported the team on the day etc. I felt were were the moral victors and it felt good to have fans of other clubs saying that. For the players, they may be thinking their only chance of playing in a FA Cup Final was stolen from them. Harder to get over quickly maybe.

I'm feeling positive overall. Would certainly rather be where I was last night at the CBS to places I was 5, 6, 7 years ago. I hope we can end the season with a win on Saturday

Sky Blue Pete

Whilst in some ways it's fair to say be professional and get on with the next game, i think the FA Cup semi outcome probably affected the players more than the fans. I don't think I was alone in being disappointed in the outcome but having a predominant emotion of pride - pride in out fightback, and how the fans supported the team on the day etc. I felt were were the moral victors and it felt good to have fans of other clubs saying that. For the players, they may be thinking their only chance of playing in a FA Cup Final was stolen from them. Harder to get over quickly maybe.

I'm feeling positive overall. Would certainly rather be where I was last night at the CBS to places I was 5, 6, 7 years ago. I hope we can end the season with a win on Saturday
Yep I’m happy with people pointing out fairly the things they are disappointed about but the bedwetting and criticism is scary
I know it’s anonymous but I fear for peoples mental health

Nick

Administrator
We were right in contention with 4/5 games to go and have tailed off due to injury/fatigue. I'd describe that as coming up short.

Anyway it makes little difference to me whether we're 1 or 10 points off. We're actually in a better position than we were last summer.

Are we though?

mmttww

Are we though?

Yes. It's night and day, come on! We've got...

- two strikers capable of 20 goals a season.
- two exciting wide players (Sakamoto, EMC).
- a brilliant RB
- Thomas and Kitching looked mint in a lot of games
- Sheaf, Eccles and Torp are a great foundation.
- older players not at our level falling off the wage bill

and an owner willing to spend most fees we get.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
every cloud has a silver lining - the poor recent form IMO has exposed the inadequacies of some of our players and may help Robbins to bring in the appropriate replacements
GK - looks so awkward when having to pass the ball out from the back, his errors have lead to too many goals / chances
LB - JDS can't defend
CH - Kitchen seems too clumbsy, Lati ok in a back 3
Midfield - Kasey last night summed him up one piece of pure skill for the goal, spent too mich time on the floor or trying fancy flicks not a 90 mins footballer

Collins, JDS, Kitching and Lati all signed last summer. We would need to find somebody to take them for us to replace them.

We chased Kitching all summer and paid a decent whack for him, if he needs replacing after a season then there are problems.

shmmeee

If we were about to start next season with what we’ve got I’d understand the worry, but this is likely to be the smallest our squad will be all summer.

I’m positive. We have a good nucleus of players, we should get a proper pre season out of all those who are here and hopefully can sign a few first teamers before pre season starts.

Excited to see who we’ll get, only slight concern is losing Sheaf but it should mean two or three quality players in at a minimum. EMC and Torp will be like new signings. O’Hare hasn’t really been in the picture so it’s more like waiting for an upgrade on Palmer than losing Vik and Gus last year.

Even when we’re shit we are running top sides close. We’ve had some bad performances this year and the team is lacking in some key areas but I’m confident we’ll sort that over the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread